PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen and QB's, pretty impressive stat

Spiderman
12-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Mullen has been in the SEC 11 seasons now. In that time he has had a consensus All-SEC QB 5 times, 6 if you count his time with Cam. Call it 5 1/2 times. That's half the seasons he has coached in the league.

He also has coached an, at the time he got him, average QB into the #1 overall pick, and recruited and coached a QB who went 13-0 with a beatdown of Bama in the Sugar Bowl, (back when the Sugar didn't take 9-3 teams and was really a big deal), and appeared on the cover of NCAA video game.

Why isn't that being PR'ed to death by State?

Everybody bitches about our recruiting compared to Ole Miss's.

There's the difference. They institutionally recruit. They all ways have. It's all about PR and hype 24/7, 365 with them.

If Hugh Freeze could boast that, no only would he remind everyone publicly of the fact everyday, Ole Miss would have it on billboards, newspaper ads, TV spots, T-shirts, etc.

State?

Mullen may use it in a meeting with a recruit, but that's it. Hell, nobody in the Athletic Dept. PR ever even thought about using it because that's the coaching staffs job to recruit. Nobody in the main administration of the school even dreamed of it because, surely, doesn't the athletic dept. spend some money doing something a couple of months out of the year where they try and recruit some students to play a game or something?

Ole Miss recruits constantly. From the top down, everyone, the whole institution,. They are all about perception and image.

Dan Mullen has the facts on his side, Hugh Freeze has perception on his. Facts be damned, it's all about perception. And that's all that recruiting is, in football, business, or sales. You are what you are perceived to be.

State has to start changing the perception, and do it relentlessly. Especially when we actually have the facts on our side.

klong-dog
12-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Good stuff on the QB info. Facts be damn, we are now 1 for our last 4 against the school that just worries about their image. Maybe we should look in the mirror and adjust some our stubborn ways?

Todd4State
12-18-2015, 08:54 AM
It's because we are scared to succeed. Like if we brag about something and it doesn't work out we would rather just not have said anything in the first place. It's a problem.

Jack Lambert
12-18-2015, 09:01 AM
I think Dan and guys have missed on the O-Line more than hit but on every other position on the field their judgment in recruiting has been on the spot. It just sounds good to be in the top 10 in recruiting but I don't guess I have to remind everyone that, GA, Auburn, LSU and A&M all have and we are as good as them.

We are going to be in the same position next season as we are this season as far as wins goes and we will have a chance to get to the Sugar Bowl. The SEC is not going to be any better next year.

Spiderman
12-18-2015, 09:12 AM
It's because we are scared to succeed. Like if we brag about something and it doesn't work out we would rather just not have said anything in the first place. It's a problem.

Yep, meanwhile a guy who has 100% ZERO track record developing a QB, signs one of the top 2 in the nation, is perceived to be a guru, while the guy with the track record, hasn't signed a single 5 star QB

somebodyshotmypaw
12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
I think you have a point. I remember Saban commenting on how a spread system doesn't develop quarterbacks for the NFL as well as a Bama-type system. He said it at SEC media days a year or two ago. Saban was saying it simply for recruits to hear, but nobody challenged him on it. Mullen has Alex Smith (long-time NFL starter), Tim Tebow (first rounder), Cam Newton (MVP candidate). Saban has Jamarcus Russell (woefully unprepared for the NFL), Matt Flynn (bench), and a few other benchwarmers. He also chose Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees while in Miami. But nobody would challenge Saban on the point. Saban was saying it for a recruit to hear, but nobody would call him out on it. We need to do a better job of pushing our platform.

Spiderman
12-18-2015, 09:18 AM
I think Dan and guys have missed on the O-Line more than hit but on every other position on the field their judgment in recruiting has been on the spot. It just sounds good to be in the top 10 in recruiting but I don't guess I have to remind everyone that, GA, Auburn, LSU and A&M all have and we are as good as them.

We are going to be in the same position next season as we are this season as far as wins goes and we will have a chance to get to the Sugar Bowl. The SEC is not going to be any better next year.

look at what signing a 5 star QB did for Ole Miss, it got them the #1 O-Lineman in the nation to commit

Really Clark?
12-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I think you have a point. I remember Saban commenting on how a spread system doesn't develop quarterbacks for the NFL as well as a Bama-type system. He said it at SEC media days a year or two ago. Saban was saying it simply for recruits to hear, but nobody challenged him on it. Mullen has Alex Smith (long-time NFL starter), Tim Tebow (first rounder), Cam Newton (MVP candidate). Saban has Jamarcus Russell (woefully unprepared for the NFL), Matt Flynn (bench), and a few other benchwarmers. He also chose Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees while in Miami. But nobody would challenge Saban on the point. Saban was saying it for a recruit to hear, but nobody would call him out on it. We need to do a better job of pushing our platform.

Oh yes Mullen did respond.

http://archive.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100721/NEWS/100721023/Mullen-responds-Saban-s-criticism-spread-offense

somebodyshotmypaw
12-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Oh yes Mullen did respond.

http://archive.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100721/NEWS/100721023/Mullen-responds-Saban-s-criticism-spread-offense

I remember. I'm talking about the media challenging it a little bit. I'm talking about our MSU PR department pushing things like that a little bit. We are great at promoting what we have. We need to do better about promoting what we can offer to recruits. We need to do a better job at using the media to push our agenda. Pushing Mullen's track record with QB's, bowl streak, etc.