PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's Schedule

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 04:50 PM
With the news about Kyle Murray transferring & that meaning that we will likely be facing Jake Hubenak next year, I decided to take a look at our schedule next year to see how we may do.

South Alabama - Win
South Carolina - Win, no way Boom can get the offense going in 9 months that Spurrier couldn't get going. We win, 24-10
@ LSU - Loss, our defensive line won't be good enough to bottle up Fournette & also protect against play action. 17-27
@ UMass - Win in an ugly, uninspiring way
Auburn - Win, Must admit, this is incomplete because I don't know who their QB will be. If it's White, we win. 22-17
BYU - Win, They don't even have a coach yet. The Auburn, BYU, Kentucky stretch will decide our season. Could go 3-0 & could go 1-2.
Kentucky - Win, just fired their OC & seem to still stuck. They've shown zero signs of being able to beat average teams.
Samford - Win, Homecoming.
Texas A&M - ???? We are facing Jake Hubenak for goodness sakes. 55%-45% we win.
Alabama - Loss, big loss
Arkansas - Win, They lose Allen, Henry, & maybe Collins & we are at home. We've beaten them 4 straight. Why would we lose this game?
Ole Miss - Loss, Kelly will shred our ass.

So, here I have us winning 9 games, which is probably WAY over optimistic for most of you, but with all the turmoil that some of our "toss up game" teams are going through, I wouldn't say this is out of the question. It's certainly best case scenerio, but is there a game here that I listed as a win, that's clearly a loss?

Again, the Auburn, BYU, Kentucky stretch could decide our season. We could go 1-2 or 3-0.

SignalToNoise
12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Not to mention we will have the luxury of playing A&M during their annual November implosion.

FISHDAWG
12-17-2015, 05:02 PM
With the news about Kyle Murray transferring & that meaning that we will likely be facing Jake Hubenak next year, I decided to take a look at our schedule next year to see how we may do.

South Alabama - Win
South Carolina - Win, no way Boom can get the offense going in 9 months that Spurrier couldn't get going. We win, 24-10
@ LSU - Loss, our defensive line won't be good enough to bottle up Fournette & also protect against play action. 17-27
Auburn - Win, Must admit, this is incomplete because I don't know who their QB will be. If it's White, we win. 22-17
BYU - Win, They don't even have a coach yet. The Auburn, BYU, Kentucky stretch will decide our season. Could go 3-0 & could go 1-2.
Kentucky - Win, just fired their OC & seem to still stuck. They've shown zero signs of being able to beat average teams.
Alabama - Loss, big loss
Arkansas - Win, They lose Allen, Henry, & maybe Collins & we are at home. We've beaten them 4 straight. Why would we lose this game?

So, here I have us winning 9 games, which is probably WAY over optimistic for most of you, but with all the turmoil that some of our "toss up game" teams are going through, I wouldn't say this is out of the question. It's certainly best case scenerio, but is there a game here that I listed as a win, that's clearly a loss?

Again, the Auburn, BYU, Kentucky stretch could decide our season. We could go 1-2 or 3-0.

Stricklin just tweeted out a limited future opponents schedule for next several years .... tried to copy the image but I'm an idiot and cant figure out how to save it

also - Auburn just signed the #1 juco QB to play next season

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Next year could be a transitioning year, where we aren't as good, but, due to the issues that our "toss up game" opponents have, we may still win a good amount of games.

We are rebuilding, but it appears as if most of our schedule is as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Auburn just signed the #1 juco QB to play next season

Absolutely.... and that could go either way. JUCO QBs are hit and miss because the talent level fluctuates from year to year. So in some years, the #1 JUCO QB could be Cam Newton or Chad Kelly, and, in other years, it could be a less than great QB. Overall, I'm glad we catch them early & it's at home.

Coursesuper
12-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Stricklin just tweeted out a limited future opponents schedule for next several years .... tried to copy the image but I'm an idiot and cant figure out how to save it

also - Auburn just signed the #1 juco QB to play next season

That so called #1 Juco QB didn't even start full time at Scooba.

Johnson85
12-17-2015, 05:09 PM

South Alabama - Win
Alabama - Loss, big loss

Just too much uncertainty. Not only can you not tell who is going to be good this far out, you can't even tell within a season. Texas A&M was a total Jekyll and Hyde this year, good at the beginning of the year and bad by the end. Arkansas, while probably never as bad as they looked early, was basically a Jekyll and Hyde, bad at first and pretty good by the end of the year.

But I'd say the only games that look like 'sure' wins are:

South Alabama, UMass, Samford, and I think USCe.

The only sure losses are LSU and Bama.

So basically we are 4-2 if we hold serve and then have 6 toss-ups. I would guess we'll end up either 6-6 or 7-5, I'll be pleasantly or unpleasantly suprised if we end up 8-4 or 5-7. I'll be shocked and pissed or ecstatic if we end up at worse than 5-7 or better than 8-4.

FISHDAWG
12-17-2015, 05:09 PM
thanks for the tip - didn't know who he was or where he was from

mparkerfd20
12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
7-8 wins next year is a great year, BUT I don't think 9 wins (regular season) is completely out of the realm of possibility. Matter of fact, I'm kinda like you. I EXPECT at a minimum 7 wins.
W's - USA, USCe, UMASS, BYU, UK, Samford, Texas A&M
Tossup - LSU, Auburn, Arkansas
L's - Alabama, Ole Miss

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
So basically we are 4-2 if we hold serve and then have 6 toss-ups. I would guess we'll end up either 6-6 or 7-5, I'll be pleasantly or unpleasantly suprised if we end up 8-4 or 5-7. I'll be shocked and pissed or ecstatic if we end up at worse than 5-7 or better than 8-4.

I think this is a logical view & probably not a bad place to set expectations for next year, but I would say, if we go 2-4 in the toss up games, that's 2-4 against Kentucky who has shown very little improvement, Arkansas who loses their best players & still has no DL, A&M with Jake Hubenak at QB, Auburn that appears to have their own issues, BYU, who currently doesn't have a coach & who we are more talented than, & Ole Miss, who I think we will probably lose too.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 05:17 PM
7-8 wins next year is a great year, BUT I don't think 9 wins (regular season) is completely out of the realm of possibility. Matter of fact, I'm kinda like you. I EXPECT at a minimum 7 wins.
W's - USA, USCe, UMASS, BYU, UK, Samford, Texas A&M
Tossup - LSU, Auburn, Arkansas
L's - Alabama, Ole Miss

I would re-order some of those & I also think 9 wins is ABSOLUTELY BEST CASE, but, while I accept that we will be rebuilding next year, I'm just making they point that most all of our
toss up game opponents" are rebuilding as well. The SEC may be bad again next year. I just don't see how it's going to get drastically better.

MSUDawg99
12-17-2015, 05:20 PM
I like the new profile pic, Shotgun!

mic
12-17-2015, 05:25 PM
If we take care of business at home and win those 6... Even 5
8-9 wins is very reachable....
We are always going to have a thin line between winning 8 or more or winning 5... It's the sec west...

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Too soon to know anything for sure. But I think our secondary is going to be a major issue for us- and I think we probably lose to Auburn and BYU. Before today I would have said Texas A&M and no way they stand pat and not try to get a QB before NSD. I also think our o-line is going to be just about as bad as it was this year and I don't see Holloway being used correctly or Shumpert getting better plus Fitzgerald can't make plays with his feet like Dak could unless it's a non power five team.

9 wins is possible- but it's high end for us.

And I know no one wants to hear it, but I don't see Dan's attitude changing any time soon.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2015, 05:37 PM
That so called #1 Juco QB didn't even start full time at Scooba.

Must be a weak year for Juco QB's bc Wyatt Roberts looked better than Franklin most of the year.

Really Clark?
12-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Must be a weak year for Juco QB's bc Wyatt Roberts looked better than Franklin most of the year.

Guess they are hoping to recreate a Nick Marshall type with him. I don't see it happening but it's going to be an interesting QB battle on the plains.

Blackout
12-17-2015, 05:42 PM
We will win all the games we are favored in and lose all the ones we aren't.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Johnson85
12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
I think this is a logical view & probably not a bad place to set expectations for next year, but I would say, if we go 2-4 in the toss up games, that's 2-4 against Kentucky who has shown very little improvement, Arkansas who loses their best players & still has no DL, A&M with Jake Hubenak at QB, Auburn that appears to have their own issues, BYU, who currently doesn't have a coach & who we are more talented than, & Ole Miss, who I think we will probably lose too.

It definitely looks like we will be playing a manageable schedule next year, but I think we have the potential to be pretty bad. I think just how bad our Oline was this year was hidden some by us having Dak. I think Fitzgerald or Staley will light up all of our OOC except for BYU and that he'll probably have a few good games spread out between some of the other mediocre teams we play, but I think it's unfair to expect him to be effective enough to keep our offense moving consistently against even the mediocre teams we play without a run game and while he's getting hit consistently.

Without Dak this year, I think the Arkansas game is a loss and we lose at least one if not both out of Auburn and La Tech. I'm just not sure we'll be better next year. We'll have an older Aeris and Dlee, but there's no guarante they'll get snaps. Our CBs will be worse, our DL will be worse, our S's will be better, our LB's will be as good or better. Just seems to me we will basically hold serve and take a decent sized step back at QB. That doesn't sound like a recipe for doing much better than 2-4 in our toss-up games.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2015, 05:53 PM
It definitely looks like we will be playing a manageable schedule next year, but I think we have the potential to be pretty bad. I think just how bad our Oline was this year was hidden some by us having Dak. I think Fitzgerald or Staley will light up all of our OOC except for BYU and that he'll probably have a few good games spread out between some of the other mediocre teams we play, but I think it's unfair to expect him to be effective enough to keep our offense moving consistently against even the mediocre teams we play without a run game and while he's getting hit consistently.

Without Dak this year, I think the Arkansas game is a loss and we lose at least one if not both out of Auburn and La Tech. I'm just not sure we'll be better next year. We'll have an older Aeris and Dlee, but there's no guarante they'll get snaps. Our CBs will be worse, our DL will be worse, our S's will be better, our LB's will be as good or better. Just seems to me we will basically hold serve and take a decent sized step back at QB. That doesn't sound like a recipe for doing much better than 2-4 in our toss-up games.

Fair enough. I think we'll be significantly better at RB as well. We won't waste time waiting for Shump to come on, & Williams & Lee should be more trustworthy. That's not even considering that Gibson may be our best RB & we haven't even seen him yet & we also don't know how Malik Dear's role could be expanded in the running game.

Too me, it comes down to the offensive line. If Rankin & a guard can get their shit together, we'll be able to run the ball significantly better, which, while Fitz or Staley many not be near what Dak is, Fitz or Staley PLUS a significantly better running game, may be pretty effective.

Lots to be decided, but the schedule is manageable if we can get better in a few spots.

louisvilledawg
12-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Is Wyatt Roberts getting recruited to play ball anywhere in the SEC ? He's from my hometown and is a great kid. Don't know what they have him listed as but hes probably 6'1" and close to 200 lbs. Figured he would end up in the SWAC or Sun Belt, but didn't know. The kid is just a winner.

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2015, 10:09 AM
The way I see it...

Mark em down:
South Alabama
South Carolina
Umass
Samford
UK
BYU

Should win:
Arkansas
Auburn
A&M

These we lose:
Alabama
LSU

And the Egg Bowl

No we we should win less than six barring catastrophic injuries. Hopefully we can squeeze 2/3 out of the tossups and then the Egg Bowl comes down to how pissed our team is at being embarrassed the last two years and if our new safeties coach can get our guys within 10 yards of the ball on a consistent basis.

I'll set our floor at 7 wins and ceiling at 9.

Bothrops
12-18-2015, 10:49 AM
You know by most of us predicting to lose the Eggbowl next year, could mean we shock ourselves. I know..wishful thinking. We'll just have to see how much of a competitor Fitzgerald is going to be. I think Mullen will be feeling plenty of pressure for the game next year.

I think we could beat SC pretty solid.

Auburn will be tough, but it's manageable at home.

Kentucky doesn't have enough playmakers.

Arky, A&M and BYU are winnable games for us, but I think we drop one.

For now, I see 8 wins. I'm sure I'll go back and forth on a game, or so, a dozen times between now and then.

BiscuitEater
12-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Auburn just signed the #1 juco QB to play next season

And, just six months ago, Auburn had a "Heisman Trophy" shoe-in for QB .. before the season even started. Just ask Barrett Sallee.

TrapGame
12-18-2015, 11:28 AM
No excuse to lose to A&M next year. Sumlin has that program in a nose dive.

The shock win will be over OM in the EB.

Jack Lambert
12-18-2015, 11:46 AM
How many contributors is Ole Miss losing?

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 11:55 AM
How many contributors is Ole Miss losing?

Engram announced he is returning yesterday, Connor announced he is returning last week, & my guess is that Kelly does as well.

So that means they lose:

Kimchee - DL - Big loss. They will struggle to replace him because he was double teamed at all times. Speaks is good, but he ain't Kimchee
Treadwell - WR - Big loss, but they will be fine at WR w Stringfellow, Lodge, Adbeyojosodjf, Jefferson, & Pack
Tunsil - LT - Little will be good, but he'll be nowhere close to Tunsil as a freshman. Big loss
Lil Kim - LB - Minor loss
Jaylon Walton - RB - Pretty big loss. Played well this year & made their offense better
Trae Elston - S - Big loss, Emotional leader of defense?
Chief Brown - DB - Minor loss
CJ Johnson - LB - Minor loss. They'll replace him.
Channing Ward - DE - Minor loss
Mike Hilton - DB - HUGE LOSS. Maybe the biggest loss they have. Leader of their secondary .
Woodrow Hamilton - DT - Minor
Ben Still - C - Could be big. Experienced center's like Dillon Day matter.
Fahn Cooper - RT - BIG LOSS. Their tackles will take a big step back.
Cody Core - WR - Minor loss.
Isaac Gross - DT - Minor loss.

So, Ole Miss' secondary & offensive line will be depleted & they lose Jaylon Walton, who really came on for them late this season.

Ole Miss could be very similar to what we were this year. Good QB & WR play, questionable secondary, & a young OL that has issues. Ole Miss will take a step back, but they should be slightly better than us, due, for the most part Kelly.

msstate7
12-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Engram announced he is returning yesterday, Connor announced he is returning last week, & my guess is that Kelly does as well.

So that mean they lose:

Kimchee - DL
Treadwell - WR
Tunsil - LT
Lil Kim - LB
Jaylon Walton - RB
Trae Elston - S
Chief Brown - DB
CJ Johnson - LB
Channing Ward - DE
Mike Hilton - DB
Woodrow Hamilton - DT
Ben Still - C
Fahn Cooper - RT
Cody Core - WR
Isaac Gross - DT

So, Ole Miss' secondary & offensive line will be depleted & they lose Jaylon Walton, who really came on for them late this season.

Ole Miss could be very similar to what we were this year. Good QB & WR play, questionable secondary, & a young OL that has issues. Ole Miss will stake a step back, but they should be slightly better than us, due, for the most part Kelly.

Aaron Morris
Justin bell

Seems they're losing a lot of olinemen

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:01 PM
UPig and Auburn return 15 or more starters- they will be good football teams next season
Kentucky returns 15 or more starters- they will be improved

We on the other hand- will not be an improved football team over 2015

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Aaron Morris
Justin bell

Seems they're losing a lot of olinemen

Didn't even list them. Their offensive line next year will be Little, Patterson, Taylor, ?, ?

That's a very young & questionable offensive line. There is talent, but it's young & inexperienced. Kelly could be running for his life.

maroonmania
12-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Absolutely.... and that could go either way. JUCO QBs are hit and miss because the talent level fluctuates from year to year. So in some years, the #1 JUCO QB could be Cam Newton or Chad Kelly, and, in other years, it could be a less than great QB. Overall, I'm glad we catch them early & it's at home.

Cam Newton and Chad Kelly started out at Florida and Clemson respectively so these were by no means "under the radar" QB talents. I don't know what the background is on the QB that Auburn just signed.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:03 PM
UPig and Auburn return 15 or more starters- they will be good football teams next season

I don't agree with Arkansas & Kentucky. Arkansas returns starters, but they lose their good players. You really think they just up and replace Allen, Henry, & maybe Collins?

Kentucky will be the same. They lose Towles. Just because you return 15 starters on a bad team, doesn't mean you are any good.

msstate7
12-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Didn't even list them. Their offensive line next year will be Little, Patterson, Taylor, ?, ?

That's a very young & questionable offensive line. There is talent, but it's young & inexperienced. Kelly could be running for his life.

Conyers and Rawlings probably

msstate7
12-18-2015, 12:05 PM
I don't agree with Arkansas & Kentucky. Arkansas returns starters, but they lose their good players. You really think they just up and replace Allen, Henry, & maybe Collins?

Kentucky will be the same. They lose Towles. Just because you return 15 starters on a bad team, doesn't mean you are any good.

'15 Msu basketball

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Conyers and Rawlings probably

Yikes. I would feel much better about us competing with Ole Miss next year if Kelly wasn't returning. He's pretty damn good & I'm still have trouble coming to grips with how they just acquired him virtually unopposed in recruiting. Ridiculously lucky

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:14 PM
He's not rated the #1 Juco for no reason

Bothrops
12-18-2015, 12:15 PM

I expect to be improved at OL, RB, TE, LB, S, and possibly WR. If we aren't improved at the first 5 positions listed, then we have glaring coaching deficits.

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:17 PM

I think with the way they run their offense- they certainly can replace what they lost. They return a very good TE and their leading WR. They have been recruiting well on the OL and at RB. They also return 9 or 10 starters on Defense. They don't have to have someone as good as Henry at TE to remain effective on offense

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:19 PM
I expect to be improved at OL, RB, TE, LB, S, and possibly WR. If we aren't improved at the first 5 positions listed, then we have glaring coaching deficits.

I don't see any way we will be improved at TE- we lost 2 good guys there and return almost no experience.

We won't be as good at QB, CB, and on the DL- and those 3 positions are huge

mic

So that means they lose:

Kimchee - DL - Big loss. They will struggle to replace him because he was double teamed at all times. Speaks is good, but he ain't Kimchee
Treadwell - WR - Big loss, but they will be fine at WR w Stringfellow, Lodge, Adbeyojosodjf, Jefferson, & Pack
Tunsil - LT - Little will be good, but he'll be nowhere close to Tunsil as a freshman. Big loss
Lil Kim - LB - Minor loss
Jaylon Walton - RB - Pretty big loss. Played well this year & made their offense better
Trae Elston - S - Big loss, Emotional leader of defense?
Chief Brown - DB - Minor loss
CJ Johnson - LB - Minor loss. They'll replace him.
Channing Ward - DE - Minor loss
Mike Hilton - DB - HUGE LOSS. Maybe the biggest loss they have. Leader of their secondary .
Woodrow Hamilton - DT - Minor
Ben Still - C - Could be big. Experienced center's like Dillon Day matter.
Fahn Cooper - RT - BIG LOSS. Their tackles will take a big step back.
Cody Core - WR - Minor loss.
Isaac Gross - DT - Minor loss.

Ole Miss could be very similar to what we were this year. Good QB & WR play, questionable secondary, & a young OL that has issues. Ole Miss will take a step back, but they should be slightly better than us, due, for the most part Kelly.

I'm shocked Conner is coming back..

ShotgunDawg
I think with the way they run their offense- they certainly can replace what they lost. They return a very good TE and their leading WR. They have been recruiting well on the OL and at RB. They also return 9 or 10 starters on Defense. They don't have to have someone as good as Henry at TE to remain effective on offense

I don't disagree, although Raleigh Williams, their best running back after Collins, was only a 3 star recruit.

Arkansas won't be bad, but I just don't see them improving. Our game vs them next year could be similar to the one we had in 2014 against them. Glad we have them at home.

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Towles was told to leave. His back-up was damn near a 5-star QB coming out of HS

Kentucky can't improve with a lot of starters returning but State can???

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:22 PM

I remember them announcing it last week. Ole Miss will have a coverage problem though. Losing Hilton & Elston is a big blow for them, along with Tee Shepard not panning out. They basically only have Tony Bridges returning in their coverage unit. FWIW, their secondary already sucked this year until they moved Hilton from S to CB.

Really Clark?
12-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Two surgeries this fall hurting his stock

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Towles was told to leave. His back-up was damn near a 5-star QB coming out of HS

I didn't say we would be improved, but we have a major head start on Kentucky & don't think we'll regress enough & they'll improve enough to beat us. IMO, there's a nice size gap

Really Clark?
12-18-2015, 12:26 PM

That 5 star has a chance but it better click for him next year much better than his play this year. Horrible game against Louisville. And they will breaking in another OC. Just fired his second or third OC in as many years. As Boom Williams goes so goes that offense next year I expect. Actually think Stoops is on the edge of next year being his last.

Coach34
12-18-2015, 12:27 PM
We shall see. I expect them to be an improved football team. And the game is at their place. Toss up game

RougeDawg
12-18-2015, 12:31 PM

If next year's line hides their holding on every play like this year's, Kelly will have all the time in the world to throw. They were riding Brown and Jones down, calf roping style, from behind the entire egg bowl and never got called. What evidence do we have that these will be called next year in Oxford when we couldn't get the calls at home?

Really Clark?
12-18-2015, 12:31 PM
He's not rated the #1 Juco for no reason

He couldn't win the job out right or out play the other QB during the season. He has some ability but that ranking is skewed.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
We shall see. I expect them to be an improved football team. And the game is at their place. Toss up game

We have a ton of "toss up" games next year. Could be an emotionally draining season. Lots of close games.

To me, it all comes down to our offensive line. If they significantly improve this off season, our young RBs can figure things out, & we are able to re-establish our running game, we've got a chance to be interesting.

However, if our offensive line makes little progress between now & then, it's going to be a tough year.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
If next year's line hides their holding on every play like this year's, Kelly will have all the time in the world to throw. They were riding Brown and Jones down, calf roping style, from behind the entire egg bowl and never got called. What evidence do we have that these will be called next year in Oxford when we couldn't get the calls at home?

Low hanging fruit. I prefer intelligent conversations.

Really Clark?
12-18-2015, 12:34 PM

They had better be improved, their schedule starts harder next year. If they have 3-4 losses by the time we play them, which is possible, then they could fold again just like nearly every year under Stoops.

mic
12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
We have a ton of "toss up" games next year. Could be an emotionally draining season. Lots of close games.

To me, it all comes down to our offensive line. If they significantly improve this off season, our young RBs can figure things out, & we are able to re-establish our running game, we've got a chance to be interesting.

However, if our offensive line makes little progress between now & then, it's going to be a tough year.

Exactly.. thin line between 5 wins and 9 wins..

msstate7
12-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Om starts with Georgia, fsu, and bama in September. 1-3 is a very real possibility. If that happens, I'll bet their fans are screaming for Patterson

Bothrops
12-18-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't see any way we will be improved at TE- we lost 2 good guys there and return almost no experience.

We won't be as good at QB, CB, and on the DL- and those 3 positions are huge

QB is critical. There may be a higher risk, higher reward style of play. I see interceptions likely increasing, but deep receptions for touchdowns also going up. Fitz has a cannon and seems to be very accurate.

I am starting to concede that our DL will never be anything special under Mullen.

Our secondary got torched all season because of our cushiony maxi-pad defense. How much worse could that be.

confucius say
12-18-2015, 12:55 PM

To be fair, our returning starters are much better, so while both teams starters can improve, ours will still be markedly better. We'll see how good they are at qb and that will determine a lot

Johnson85
12-18-2015, 12:56 PM

I agree. If we had them at home, it might be different. At the same time, I expected them to be improved this year. they could end up being a team that just never gets over the hump. Same with Arkansas. If they just start next season like they finished this one, they'll have a pretty good jump. But I'm not sure it's realistic to expect them to do it while breaking in a new QB.

On the other hand, I'm not sure either of them will have to make a jump to beat us. We are not far off from being a pretty good team next year. But we weren't far off after last year either. We just needed a few people to step up, and basically nobody did. We needed Coman's play to match his athleticism (or at least what shwos up on the big dawg board or whatever they call it), we needed one of Brandon Bryant, Peters, or McLaurin to step up early, we needed all of our returning linemen to make marginal improvements and for Jenkins or Warren to be serviceable at LT, and we needed shump or one of our RS Freshmen RBs to step up and be a solid every down back. We pretty much went ofer on every one. Coman was not better, Certainly not displeased with Brant, Peters or McLaurin, but we didn't get what we needed out of them to be good this year at S. Most players on our OLine stayed the same or actually regressed somehow. Shump was terrible and Aeris and DLee somehow couldn't even get on the field. Stuggling at safety and LT was not unexpected, but it's pretty disturbing that it was worst case scenario across the board. If we have the same batting average on improvement from this yaer to next, we have a chance to be really bad.

We still need everyone of our returning Olinemen to improve, but need even more improvement. We still need somebody to step up at RB. We still need Safeties to step up and be good. But in addition to that, we need some DL to emerge and basically two CB's to emerge, and most importantly, need a RS Sophomore QB to avoid much dropoff from probably the best QB in MSU's history. Thinking about it more, maybe I was too optimistic thinking 5 wins is our floor.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2015, 01:03 PM
QB is critical. There may be a higher risk, higher reward style of play. I see interceptions likely increasing, but deep receptions for touchdowns also going up. Fitz has a cannon and seems to be very accurate.

I am starting to concede that our DL will never be anything special under Mullen.

Our secondary got torched all season because of our cushiony maxi-pad defense. How much worse could that be.

QB is critical, but I'm optimistic that our running game has a chance to be very improved, which should give Fitz more easy throws down the field, where he throws a better deep ball than Dak. Ints will go up, but, if more explosive plays come from that, I'm OK with it.

It's all about the OL & RBs. If those two position step up, it will take a ton of pressure off Fitz

Maroonthirteen
12-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Well, I agree it is to soon to know for sure. However, Fitz is a better athletes than Dak. He will be more elusive in the pocket. But he will probably have more than 3 picks next year.

While I think the OL will get better because of some personnel moves and young guys getting experience, I don't expect it to be greatly improved.

I expect the RB position to be much better with Williams and Lee....and maybe Deer returning.

Maroonthirteen
12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Double post

defiantdog
12-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Unless we find and offensive line and someone to run the ball consistently, we won't have a chance at hitting 9 wins. Also, the coaches are talking about revamping the defense this Spring. There is talk of Durr, Morgan-Walker, Smitherman and Knot being in the hunt for the top 2 DB positions. Yes, for once, our coaches are telling Knot he will play next year and have a chance at starting if he chooses to go to State.

scottycameron
12-18-2015, 03:13 PM
QB is critical, but I'm optimistic that our running game has a chance to be very improved, which should give Fitz more easy throws down the field, where he throws a better deep ball than Dak. Ints will go up, but, if more explosive plays come from that, I'm OK with it.

It's all about the OL & RBs. If those two position step up, it will take a ton of pressure off Fitz

If you're going to post this much you're going to have to change your ******* avatar back.

defiantdog
12-18-2015, 03:23 PM

His current paycheck is more than late 3rd round pay..... He has to at least get second round to get a raise in pay.

DanDority
12-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Will someone please explain to our low hanging fruit that running teams don't need a QB, a certain RB to be good enough to beat us, a team who this past year COULD NOT run the ball to save our life. Damn I thought we all understood the game better than what I've seen on the first to pages of this thread.

Jack Lambert
12-18-2015, 04:48 PM

I think they don't have good coaches. Especially KY.

RougeDawg
12-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Low hanging fruit. I prefer intelligent conversations.

So by me pointing out tne reason their line was able to get away with holding against us all evening until the game was out of hand is irrelevant? They did this all season and it can hide inadequacies on the OLine.

Not sure what your response meant but had they been called in EB we are most likely going to Sugar Bowl and none of these "sky is falling" thread would be started. So I say that pointing out their getting away with holding, some hard to see and some easy to see, is Completely relevant to the topic.

RealHastings
12-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen officiating so bad in my entire life. I was at the game so I didn't notice, but after going back and watching the replay on tv, they were getting away with blatant holds literally every single play. It was pathetic. Had those been called, like they should have been, it's a totally different ball game.