PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Soccer Thread - Breaking News

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Breaking news about an hour ago, Chelsea has fired Jose Mourinho. They'll now be in coaching search mode. Looks like losing to Bournemouth and Leicester was the final straw. Gotta wonder if they'll go after Pep Guardiola. He's been linked to the Manchesters, but you gotta figure Chelsea would be just as attractive. What say ye, fellow hooligans?

BoomBoom
12-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Breaking news about an hour ago, Chelsea has fired Jose Mourinho. They'll now be in coaching search mode. Looks like losing to Bournemouth and Leicester was the final straw. Gotta wonder if they'll go after Pep Guardiola. He's been linked to the Manchesters, but you gotta figure Chelsea would be just as attractive. What say ye, fellow hooligans?

I have no idea what half of those words mean.

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Guardiola just announced he's not coming back to Bayern (carlo Ancelloti is taking over next year), so he could be an option. But I don't think he will go. Abromavic will throw a ton of cash at him, but Guardiola isn't a normal coach. It would surprise me if they get him. He doesn't do anything be doesn't want to do 100% and I think he wants to go to United.

ETA- second time Mourinho has been sacked by chelsea. Love it

Bama_Dawg
12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
I'd say with Dan's love for soccer, its just another job he can be linked to...Mullen to Chelsea?

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 12:16 PM
I'd say with Dan's love for soccer, its just another job he can be linked to...Mullen to Chelsea?

Haha. Well his agent has been talking....

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2015, 12:17 PM
I have no idea what half of those words mean.

So what you're saying is you came into this thread just to be a dick. Awesome.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Well played, sir!

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Guus Hiddink looks like the leading candidate to replace him, at least temporarily.

smootness
12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
What an embarrassing year for Chelsea. Inexplicable.

But that loss to Leicester should not be further embarrassment. They're the strangest thing I've ever seen in the EPL, but they're legitimately good somehow.

TheRef
12-17-2015, 01:38 PM

But that loss to Leicester should not be further embarrassment. They're the strangest thing I've ever seen in the EPL, but they're legitimately good somehow.

THE FOX OVERLORDS REQUIRED A MANAGER SACRIFICE TO CONTINUE OUR SUCCESS. WE HAVE HAD TWO SACRIFICES THUS FAR (Monk and Morhino).

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2015, 01:51 PM
THE FOX OVERLORDS REQUIRED A MANAGER SACRIFICE TO CONTINUE OUR SUCCESS. WE HAVE HAD TWO SACRIFICES THUS FAR (Monk and Morhino).
Claudio'd***

YoungB
12-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Guardiola just announced he's not coming back to Bayern (carlo Ancelloti is taking over next year), so he could be an option. But I don't think he will go. Abromavic will throw a ton of cash at him, but Guardiola isn't a normal coach. It would surprise me if they get him. He doesn't do anything be doesn't want to do 100% and I think he wants to go to United.

ETA- second time Mourinho has been sacked by chelsea. Love it

I would have thought City, but I guess if they advance far enough in the CL then it is harder to fire Pelligrini

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 02:02 PM
I would have thought City, but I guess if they advance far enough in the CL then it is harder to fire Pelligrini

I think he prefers glory to money. He'll get more by restoring United than doing anything with city. But I think United will screw this up and wait too long to get rid of LvG and not have a chance a Pep

Beaver
12-17-2015, 02:57 PM

I'm a Chelsea fan. I've watched nearly every game this season. It is incredibly strange. It seems a few of our best players (Hazard, Costa, Fabregas) have regressed this season. Early on in the season, our defense (mainly Ivanovic) was brutal. However, the main issue is that none of our scorers can finish when they get possession in the penalty box. I can't put a finger on it. Pretty much half of our goals have come from Willian's free kicks. I didn't want to see Jose sacked, but I'm not too upset about it. There's something missing this season, and hopefully the next manager can figure it out before we get relegated.

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Mou lost the locker room. Simple as that. It was him or about 7 very expensive players. Players win that battle usually.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-17-2015, 04:26 PM
I hate Mourinho. I dislike Chelsea. Them together was so easy and fun to hate..oh well..

I hope Chelsea collapses further and gets relegated. Not that there's any chance in hell of that happening.

Percho
12-17-2015, 06:23 PM

I heard he wanted out, just did not know how bad he wanted out.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2015, 10:16 PM

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to take anything away from Bournemouth or Leicester. Bournemouth's run they're on currently is ridiculous considering the injuries they're dealing with, particularly not having Callum Wilson. They might be the best story in soccer the last few years. And they've got one hell of a manager. Gotta wonder how long before he's poached by one of the blue bloods.

And our Supreme Fox Overlords are legit. As much as I'd love to see Arsenal overtake them and win the title, I'd be really happy for Leicester if they find a way to win it. Talk about a feel good story, going from the verge of relegation to EPL Champs in essentially a year and a half. At the very least, I'd like to see them qualify for the Champions League next season.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Some good discussion here. Glad to see some contributions. Some general thoughts: I think Guardiola is headed for City. They want him and I think he's ready for a fresh challenge, especially if he finds a way to win the Champions League this season. Rumors are he's the top target in the offseason.

Dudy nailed it that Hiddink will be the guy for the remainder of the season. Apparently he was well liked during his last stint as interim.

DudyDawg
12-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Chelsea are going to push to get Diego Simeone from atletico madrid after the season to be the new guy next year. But unless they throw some serious freaking money at him I don't see it. I also don't see Pep at City. Especially if Pelligrini can get past the knockout round. And I think he has the best chance to win the premier league. Hard to fire him after that. Even if that doesn't happen, I think Pep has his sights on United. But they may screw it up and keep Van Gaal for too long. I think that's the only way City gets Guardiola.

smootness
12-18-2015, 01:58 PM
If Leicester even makes the Champions League, it would be the biggest underdog story in sports in probably at least 3 decades. It would be unheard of.

War Machine Dawg
12-18-2015, 03:30 PM
More rumors: Arsenal is a target for Pep. I assume that means Arsene Wenger would retire, because there's no way he's being fired. I'd kill for this to happen.

Smoot, who do you think finishes ahead of Leicester? Because the way they're playing right now, I don't know who's going to overtake them. City will have a shot as they start getting healthy. Aguero comes back on Monday, just in time for Arsenal.

Could say the same for Arsenal's chances to overtake Leicester as they get healthy as well. Plus whoever we add in the upcoming January transfer window. Speaking of, looks like Chicharito is Arsenal's top target for this window. It'd be nice to grab him.

I just don't see 4 teams that can finish ahead of Leicester at the moment. I think there's a clear Top 3 - Arsenal, City, Leicester - then 4-20. Liverpool is looking better, but they need a talent influx. United has some players, but can't really seem to put it together. And we just discussed how awful Chelsea has been this season.

TheRef
12-18-2015, 04:55 PM
More rumors: Arsenal is a target for Pep. I assume that means Arsene Wenger would retire, because there's no way he's being fired. I'd kill for this to happen.

Smoot, who do you think finishes ahead of Leicester? Because the way they're playing right now, I don't know who's going to overtake them. City will have a shot as they start getting healthy. Aguero comes back on Monday, just in time for Arsenal.

Could say the same for Arsenal's chances to overtake Leicester as they get healthy as well. Plus whoever we add in the upcoming January transfer window. Speaking of, looks like Chicharito is Arsenal's top target for this window. It'd be nice to grab him.

I just don't see 4 teams that can finish ahead of Leicester at the moment. I think there's a clear Top 3 - Arsenal, City, Leicester - then 4-20. Liverpool is looking better, but they need a talent influx. United has some players, but can't really seem to put it together. And we just discussed how awful Chelsea has been this season.

Leicester's pace of play will be the end to the Leicester run, in my opinion. We, honestly, don't have the depth to consistently run the pressure game as much as we do right now. Bodies are going to break down and we have been lucky thus far that the only injury we had before last week was to Andy King. This week we will be without Robert Huth (suspension due to yellow card build up) and Danny Drinkwater, who has been the anchor for our midfield this season.

DudyDawg
12-18-2015, 05:35 PM
For the record, Leicester would be the first team to be where they are at this point in the year and not finish in the top four if they fall out. So, ironically, it would take a big collapse for Leicester not to be in the champions league next season. But like ref said, injuries happen, and when they do Leicester will drop

SignalToNoise
12-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Chelsea have hired former Netherlands coach Guus Hiddink.

http://www.espnfc.com/chelsea/story/2762189/chelsea-confirm-guus-hiddink-as-manager-after-mourinho-exit?ex_cid=espntw

War Machine Dawg
12-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Pep says he'll reveal his plans on Sunday after telling Bayern's owner. Let the speculation begin!