PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen has given us a LOT to complain about

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 07:39 AM
But right now recruiting is NOT one of the things to bitch about.

As far as stars go, there have been two position groups where we have lacked stars per the recruiting sites- QB and offensive line.

But as far as QB- we see what Dan has done there with 3 star guys like Dak Prescott and just yesterday we got a commitment from Keytaon Thompson who is possibly has a chance to be the highest rated QB we have had EVER. And certainly the highest rated since Tyler Russell. Except Thompson actually fits Dan's offense to a tee.

We're also about to land our best o-line class- Lashley is a consensus four star, and I think we flip Raekwon Davis who is an Army AA. And then the odds are really good that we get Willie Allen a four star OT from one of the best high school football programs in NOLA. That doesn't even include Greg Eiland who got invited to play for Team USA in the International Bowl and turned it down for whatever reason.

As far as our current class, people need to be patient. Like as in today- we're about to get a commit and sign a four star DE and then we're going to get a four star WR early next week. Last year we signed seven consensus four star guys per 247 which doesn't include Jung, Stamps, and McLaurin who 247 said were four star guys but on average rated three by the other web sites. This year there is a legit chance we get as many or more consensus four star guys than LAST year. And 2017 has a really good chance to be even better than those classes. Why so many of our fans are so worried about a bunch of uncommitted prospects from the Golden Triangle of all places is beyond me.

And since we want to compare ourselves to Ole Miss- last year Ole Miss signed seven consensus 4 star guys and this year so far they have seven consensus 4-5 star guys. So, going by 247 the difference is not as huge as some people think. The main difference right now is our guys haven't committed yet and two of their guys are five star guys. That's it.

And on the JUCO's- it's not 1999 anymore. It's a lot more difficult to find a Willie Blade out in the middle of nowhere and have it work out great for us. The best way for us to use the JUCO's is to sign and place guys at them and let them develop and then get them later. Drelan Porter is probably going to EMCC and Gooden is either going to Co-Lin or Holmes and the thing I like about that is it allows us to build even more of a relationship with more JUCO's besides just Co-Lin and Mississippi Gulf Coast- although I certainly appreciate what those two have done for us. There simply aren't as many quick fixes nowadays unless we go the Ole Miss route and start taking guys that get kicked off their team and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a guy that got kicked off of his high school team for anally raping other teammates at MSU.

Have a wonderful early signing period my friends!

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2015, 07:55 AM
I think we are doing a good job of IDing early enrollee candidates too - both HS and JUCO. That extra spring and most of the summer is huge for development.

Dawgface
12-17-2015, 07:56 AM
You must be in the Christmas spirit. ;). I hope you are right though and this class fills some holes.

EnterpriseDawg
12-17-2015, 08:12 AM
If it wasn't for OMs top 5 class we probably wouldn't be freaking out so much. Unless we start recruiting at a high level the ass beatings will continue in the egg bowl.

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 08:16 AM
You must be in the Christmas spirit. ;). I hope you are right though and this class fills some holes.

I call things like I see it. If Dan does something good I compliment it. If he does something stupid I criticize it. It's that simple.

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 08:18 AM
If it wasn't for OMs top 5 class we probably wouldn't be freaking out so much. Unless we start recruiting at a high level the ass beatings will continue in the egg bowl.

I get that but it's shortsighted because those rankings change as players commit.

Jack Lambert
12-17-2015, 09:08 AM

Not going to happen. Ole Miss is going to be very average next year.

sleepy dawg
12-17-2015, 09:53 AM
When Todd says it's not a time to bitch, it is not a time to bitch. Todd probably has about the highest possible standards of anyone I've seen on here... too high to me. So when he says things are going good, you listen to that. (This is not sarcasm, I'm being serious.)

1MidsouthDawg
12-17-2015, 10:01 AM
I get that but it's shortsighted because those rankings change as players commit.

Also, rankings are not re-ranked after players do not arrive on campus and have to go JUCO.

My only concern is how many top south Mississippi , Hattiesburg/Laurel/Merdian, HS players we are losing to out of state.
I guess though until signing day it is all unofficial, and it can still change.

Go DAWGs and HAILSTATE!!!!

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 10:03 AM

I think its just a matter of they have some VERY high profile recruits committed and none of our top targets have pulled the trigger for us yet. If and when some of ours do it will get folks off the ledge. Yes, we think we have a great chance to have a solid and perhaps even really good class but one day we hear AJ is ours and the next he is not, one day Simmons is ours and the next he is not, one day we have a great chance at Knott and the next we don't, sounds like we may have Sullivan in the bag and then he pushes off his announcement, etc., etc. Other than probably Lashley and KJones I really don't have a clue who we will end up with that will actually meet eligibility requirements. For guys that we may sign that we have to wait 2 years for that is all well and good but its hard to get overly excited when you have to wait that long to see them sign for real.

TrapGame
12-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Not going to happen. Ole Miss is going to be very average next year.

They'll sure be less spicy on defense.**

HoopsDawg
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
We'll just have to see how we close.

MSUDawg99
12-17-2015, 12:06 PM
This is going to be a smaller recruiting class for us this year so the way I understand it is that we will not get "points" for the spots not filled...meaning it won't be as highly ranked had it been if we were filling a normal size class.

EXAMPLE: let's say a normal class size is 25 ppl. But we are only going to have 18 ppl. Those 7 unfilled spots yield 0 points so it won't be as highly ranked had we filled those spots...if that makes sense.

Just trying to bring a diff angle to the low recruiting ranking.

smootness
12-17-2015, 12:38 PM
I call things like I see it. If Dan does something good I compliment it. If someone speculates that he might have done something stupid I criticize it. It's that simple.

FIFY

Just messing with you.

NCDawg
12-17-2015, 12:39 PM
They'll sure be less spicy on defense.**
Desper, Clayborn, Jenkins, et al, sure hope so. They were too quick for us this year.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
This is going to be a smaller recruiting class for us this year so the way I understand it is that we will not get "points" for the spots not filled...meaning it won't be as highly ranked had it been if we were filling a normal size class.

EXAMPLE: let's say a normal class size is 25 ppl. But we are only going to have 18 ppl. Those 7 unfilled spots yield 0 points so it won't be as highly ranked had we filled those spots...if that makes sense.

Just trying to bring a diff angle to the low recruiting ranking.

We are going to sign 21-22 I think

Rankings can be done with total points or average...we are low in both right now. But we have quite a few big targets that we are going to add to get those numbers up. The bottom line is that losing to Bama and Ole Missus plus having a low grade in recruiting looks bad- we need to close some Croots and win the bowl game. That will help everyone

shannondawg
12-17-2015, 12:55 PM
if Todd is correct, he is my new hero.

dawg27
12-17-2015, 01:06 PM
But right now recruiting is NOT one of the things to bitch about.

As far as stars go, there have been two position groups where we have lacked stars per the recruiting sites- QB and offensive line.

But as far as QB- we see what Dan has done there with 3 star guys like Dak Prescott and just yesterday we got a commitment from Keytaon Thompson who is possibly has a chance to be the highest rated QB we have had EVER. And certainly the highest rated since Tyler Russell. Except Thompson actually fits Dan's offense to a tee.

We're also about to land our best o-line class- Lashley is a consensus four star, and I think we flip Raekwon Davis who is an Army AA. And then the odds are really good that we get Willie Allen a four star OT from one of the best high school football programs in NOLA. That doesn't even include Greg Eiland who got invited to play for Team USA in the International Bowl and turned it down for whatever reason.

As far as our current class, people need to be patient. Like as in today- we're about to get a commit and sign a four star DE and then we're going to get a four star WR early next week. Last year we signed seven consensus four star guys per 247 which doesn't include Jung, Stamps, and McLaurin who 247 said were four star guys but on average rated three by the other web sites. This year there is a legit chance we get as many or more consensus four star guys than LAST year. And 2017 has a really good chance to be even better than those classes. Why so many of our fans are so worried about a bunch of uncommitted prospects from the Golden Triangle of all places is beyond me.

And since we want to compare ourselves to Ole Miss- last year Ole Miss signed seven consensus 4 star guys and this year so far they have seven consensus 4-5 star guys. So, going by 247 the difference is not as huge as some people think. The main difference right now is our guys haven't committed yet and two of their guys are five star guys. That's it.

And on the JUCO's- it's not 1999 anymore. It's a lot more difficult to find a Willie Blade out in the middle of nowhere and have it work out great for us. The best way for us to use the JUCO's is to sign and place guys at them and let them develop and then get them later. Drelan Porter is probably going to EMCC and Gooden is either going to Co-Lin or Holmes and the thing I like about that is it allows us to build even more of a relationship with more JUCO's besides just Co-Lin and Mississippi Gulf Coast- although I certainly appreciate what those two have done for us. There simply aren't as many quick fixes nowadays unless we go the Ole Miss route and start taking guys that get kicked off their team and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a guy that got kicked off of his high school team for anally raping other teammates at MSU.

Have a wonderful early signing period my friends!

we are ranked 50th so crootin is not one of them? Not being negaitive but uab is out crootin us they did not have a team last year, aj just tweeted ole miss is about to be lit, i know some will say that means he is a dog he going to light them up , some say he a black bear i dont know what it means i hope it is good,but i dont the games he is playing but we need him it makes me sick to my stomach we finished next to last in the sec west.

dawg27
12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
I think its just a matter of they have some VERY high profile recruits committed and none of our top targets have pulled the trigger for us yet. If and when some of ours do it will get folks off the ledge. Yes, we think we have a great chance to have a solid and perhaps even really good class but one day we hear AJ is ours and the next he is not, one day Simmons is ours and the next he is not, one day we have a great chance at Knott and the next we don't, sounds like we may have Sullivan in the bag and then he pushes off his announcement, etc., etc. Other than probably Lashley and KJones I really don't have a clue who we will end up with that will actually meet eligibility requirements. For guys that we may sign that we have to wait 2 years for that is all well and good but its hard to get overly excited when you have to wait that long to see them sign for real.

Exactly i dont get the tweet aj send ol miss is about to be lit, i hope he is just having fun but so hard to read him.

dawg27
12-17-2015, 01:12 PM

Exactly i dont get the tweet aj send ol miss is about to be lit, i hope he is just having fun but so hard to read him.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 01:28 PM
AJ is not going to OM.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Grown men trying to decipher what 16-18yr old kids are talking about on twitter is what needs to stop. These kids know they have thousands of people emotions in their hands & they take every opportunity to have fun with it & pull those strings. Also these kids have lives outside of football & recruiting. They tweet about real life too along with song lyrics that the vast majority of this board have no clue what it is or what it means.

dawg27
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Grown men trying to decipher what 16-18yr old kids are talking about on twitter is what needs to stop. These kids know they have thousands of people emotions in their hands & they take every opportunity to have fun with it & pull those strings. Also these kids have lives outside of football & recruiting. They tweet about real life too along with song lyrics that the vast majority of this board have no clue what it is or what it means.

U right i should not get caught up in that junk i never have before, i guess just frustration getting to me it dont help the idiots up north crootin like they are, u right screw them we need to close good this class could turn out good if we close hard.

Really Clark?
12-17-2015, 02:00 PM
All the guys who are harping on a recruiting ranking that will not be completed until Feb., if we add Gooden and Sullivan over the next few days, like we think we will, and let's say Kobe Jones. Adding those 3 players to what we have already moves us into the top 30. And they are not some of our biggest possible commits. Let this play out and even if after Feb the class doesn't finish like you want, why worry. This is not something to worry over for any one on this board. Except maybe IYOK.

smootness
12-17-2015, 02:54 PM

Perhaps just an observation? That does not in any way, shape, or form mean he's about to go to Ole Miss.