PDA

View Full Version : Basketball

msstate7
12-16-2015, 11:09 PM
I have not missed any games (radio, tv, in person) the last 3 years, but jeez... I'm about at my breaking point. I'm not worried about Howland long term just yet, but I'm disappointed big time with this start.

CarolinaDawgs
12-16-2015, 11:11 PM
This is a bad start, but the guy hasn't worked with Helen Keller before...

Bully13
12-16-2015, 11:16 PM
we suck shit and Howland has not done a good job of re-directing these players with his new leadership.

he deserves to show what he can do with his new players once they get here. . we will see. but he's done a poor sales job on his new gig. the players have more "don't give a shit" than I've seen in a long time.

I don't think anybody can honestly say Ray would be doing any worse at this point. the transition has not been smooth thus far.

MarketingBully
12-16-2015, 11:19 PM
I have not missed any games (radio, tv, in person) the last 3 years, but jeez... I'm about at my breaking point. I'm not worried about Howland long term just yet, but I'm disappointed big time with this start.

I would hold off until after next year. These seniors suck and no amount of coaching helps that. I think next year we will have enough talent on the team to be competitive in every game. I look for us to be in the NIT next year and process Ndoye and Ready. I think we will be in good shape one that happens.

MarketingBully
12-16-2015, 11:20 PM
we suck shit and Howland has not done a good job of re-directing these players with his new leadership.

he deserves to show what he can do with his new players once they get here. . we will see. but he's done a poor sales job on his new gig. the players have more "don't give a shit" than I've seen in a long time.

I don't think anybody can honestly say Ray would be doing any worse at this point. the transition has not been smooth thus far.

How can you coach players that don't give a shit? The seniors plus Ready are a cancer that needs to be flushed.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Howland needs to have his own players. I don't know if it is just new coach/new style of play, lack of talent, or the Ray guys do not like Howland. It is definitely worse than I thought it would be, but it's not like Howland suddenly forgot how to coach.

DudyDawg
12-16-2015, 11:21 PM
The not giving a shit is what pisses me off. I understand our roster isn't good, but the laziness is just sad. No screens or anything. It's just infuriating.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Another aspect is that we are so hungry for success in basketball that we are naturally impatient. We had a really really bad coach for 3 years. Difficult to bounce back from that immediately.

Bully13
12-16-2015, 11:33 PM
How can you coach players that don't give a shit? The seniors plus Ready are a cancer that needs to be flushed.

Great Coaches inspire youngsters. hey, maybe he was dealt a hand that was insurmountable , I dunno, I'm not an insider and God knows I have no SEC coaching experience nor do I claim to even know one that does.

But good Lord man, I mean Shit. 17, shit. inspiration , changing attitudes and shit. , damn, ....something's just not adding up here. this shit just ain't right.

Coach34
12-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Another aspect is that we are so hungry for success in basketball that we are naturally impatient. We had a really really bad coach for 3 years. Difficult to bounce back from that immediately.

We were a team that last year was competitive for the most part and lost alot of close games. We have added more talent and are a year older- and we might be worse. Howland is doing a shit job this year.

He will get the talent in and the program will get better. But coaching-wise- Howland gets a D

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Maybe it is just the older players hating Howland then. It's not like a guy with Howlands resume just forgets how to be a good coach after taking a short hiatus.

Bully13
12-17-2015, 12:07 AM
Maybe it is just the older players hating Howland then. It's not like a guy with Howlands resume just forgets how to be a good coach after taking a short hiatus.

it seems he has lost the will to be a good coach. maybe UCLA knew something we don't. UCLA has a little bit of hoops knowledge. you don't can a guy with 3 final 4's just for shit's and giggles. maybe they took a dump and are laughing at our asses while they flush.

MarketingBully
12-17-2015, 12:14 AM
We were a team that last year was competitive for the most part and lost alot of close games. We have added more talent and are a year older- and we might be worse. Howland is doing a shit job this year.

He will get the talent in and the program will get better. But coaching-wise- Howland gets a D

We are doing the same things we did last year only the defense is worse because of the foul mandate. You add Ray coaching with the mandate and you would have a bigger worse no hope shit show. At least we have a light at the end of the tunnel and will have 9 4 star plus players on this team next year. I am just taking it for what it's worth. We more then likely will finish above .500 at the end of the year. I am assuming we will be 7-5 to finish off the non conference and I am thinking we go 15-15 or so to end the year with no post season.

MarketingBully
12-17-2015, 12:17 AM
it seems he has lost the will to be a good coach. maybe UCLA knew something we don't. UCLA has a little bit of hoops knowledge. you don't can a guy with 3 final 4's just for shit's and giggles. maybe they took a dump and are laughing at our asses while they flush.

This is just plain stupid talk right here. We suck this year but we will be much more talented and competitive next year. Why judge Howland at all when everyone knows we have shitty talent and had a very hampered Malik Newman to open the season.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Give me a break. Why would he be busting his ass on the recruiting trail if he was just collecting a paycheck?

BeardoMSU
12-17-2015, 12:30 AM

Exactly. Sadly, they just aren't winners. They don't know how to win. They don't know that the individual has to sacrifice in order for the team to win. The fact that there are supposedly locker-room issues is hilarious. ****ing hilarious. Talk about a bunch of delusional dumbasses.

You know what all of these things add up to? Being losers.

Next year we will be better.

Bothrops
12-17-2015, 01:39 AM
I can't watch our team right now. It's way too incensing! This team is going to have to start showing improvement before I can watch another game.

klong-dog
12-17-2015, 01:55 AM
The guys we have are just not very smart in basketball terms. Ware, bless his heart has club feet while trying to defend. He doesn't know how to hold his arms straight up around the basket. He just HAS to reach out and commit the foul. Won't even bother with the Ready defense. Chicken cramps up every other minute of the game and has been that since he's been on campus. I'm looking forward to the new squad next year.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Guys it's a mixture of things in my opinion. For one I don't think the older players like Howland and they are not giving their all. I don't think they care too much for Malik getting the spotlight(especially sword and ready). Also it's mainly lack of depth in the frontcourt which we have talked about numerous times and the biggest is just lack of freaking talent. I mean Malik and Q are freshman and look how much better and ahead they look than the rest of the team. In basketball stars really do matter. Once we get all of our talent here and all the young players that were recruited by Howland buy in we will start to roll. I'm not saying to give up on this season but I wouldn't expect very much out of it. These seniors and even juniors have lost the entire time they've been here. They don't know how to win and they can't finish games. The lack of depth or talent in the front court doesn't help either. Howland is not a bad coach! He will get it together and we will be a very very good team if not next year in 2017. If he can't win with the new talent coming in then we have problems but at this point I don't think he owes all the blame with the effort his seniors and juniors are giving him. They just suck there is no easy way to put it.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 09:27 AM
And btw what happened to Malik? I saw him shooting those free throws holding his ear or jaw. But I didn't see what happened.

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Our front court = our OL. You just know going in that it's going to be our downfall, and you know we can't do anything about it this season

MarketingBully
12-17-2015, 10:40 AM
If we can get Holman and get Daniels back and Ware's injury isn't too severe and get him back by the SEC season, we could be fine there or at least average. At some point this team is going to have to have someone step up and be a leader, otherwise we won't go anywhere. I think we can still finish above .500 if leaders emerge.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Roq Johnson was a big loss. Our frontcourt sucks.

mic
12-17-2015, 11:15 AM
It doesn't matter who coaches this team .. CBH, Coach K, Cal,
No heart
No upperclassman leaders
No effort on defense ( man or zone)
No team play .. Your alpha dog is Newman and the Sr's haven't excepted it .. You can tell right when he came out of the game last night ...Chicken turned it on.. Sword is the 3rd option on offense and he wants to be the first
I have no idea how Fred Scored in high school..
Team has the Worse basketball IQ..
Gavin gives 100% effort on offense and 20% (maybe) on defense .. And doesn't know how to play without fouling.
IJ has gotten worse over the last 2 years
Malik is too unselfish .. he should be attempting 15 shots per game at a minimum ..
Q is going to be a solid player but shit he is having to play everything from the 1 to the 3 right now as a freshman..
Zup and Daniels are about the same player.. If they aren't hitting 3's they are basically just bodies ..
Nydoe is bad .But he is all we have right now.

Stands left the program in shit and RR did nothing in 3 years to fix it..

mic
12-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Roq Johnson was a big loss. Our frontcourt sucks.

Well RR had 3 years to get some help for the front court this year and he produced
Daniels
Zup
Nydoe
Black

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 11:46 AM

I personally think a D is generous at this point. Do we know yet the severity of Ware's injury? If he's out for any length of time its just going to get that much worse.

Raytoraid83
12-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Howland's first year at each job

N Zona- 9 wins
Pitt- 13 wins
UCLA- 11 wins

This start should come as a surprise to no one. I know everyone, including myself, was hungry for a winning team again and expected a quick turnaround. But reality is, our roster isn't good enough.

mic
12-17-2015, 12:11 PM

N Zona- 9 wins
Pitt- 13 wins
UCLA- 11 wins

This start should come as a surprise to no one. I know everyone, including myself, was hungry for a winning team again and expected a quick turnaround. But reality is, our roster isn't good enough.

Exactly

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM

N Zona- 9 wins
Pitt- 13 wins
UCLA- 11 wins

I don't think anyone was expecting a major turnaround but with a veteran roster plus adding Newman, Q and Holman, plus what we thought would be improved coaching, I don't think it was a stretch to think we would have an NIT-type team. I don't think most could have imagined being this bad on defense but we are. I don't think we would have thought that several of our veteran players would play worse this year but they have. Right now I do expect us to end up with a losing season this year overall and that's something I would not have guessed prior to the season. I actually would have thought we would be better than this had Ray been kept on and we had not signed Newman. It would take tremendous improvement at this point to even come close to breaking even in the SEC. Hard to compare what he did at other stops in his first year because here he was handed a veteran team and I don't know what he walked in on with the other programs. Had we had a huge turnover from last year and a new coach I wouldn't have expected anything at all to be very good. Obviously the veteran players and the new coaching staff just haven't meshed for whatever reason. Just no excuse for losing to folks like Southern U. and UMKC. Even with our current roster nobody can convince me that we don't have more basketball talent than those teams.

smootness
12-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Like someone (maybe you?) said, it's a good thing we already have everybody signed. And our primary targets for 2017 are coming no matter what.

So we have a couple years to turn things around before we really have to go recruiting nationally again.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Exactly. Sadly, they just aren't winners. They don't know how to win. They don't know that the individual has to sacrifice in order for the team to win. The fact that there are supposedly locker-room issues is hilarious. ****ing hilarious. Talk about a bunch of delusional dumbasses.

You know what all of these things add up to? Being losers.

Next year we will be better.

Is this a joke? Aside from someone within the program saying there are locker room issues- it very easy to see on the court. There is no team play out there- it's "let's see who can shoot the ball before Newman does". IJ and Chicken force so many shots because they want to be the Alpha- and not let Malik be that guy. It's blatant when you watch them out there.
Also- watch the interaction of the guys between whistles. You can see it if you look

tcdog70
12-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Our big Men are pitiful except Ware and His defense is suspect. I J isn't a SEC player, no different from last year. We have Chicken, Ware, Malik and Q who are SEC players. The rest at best are sun-belt quality. Fallou, will never be able to play.He didn't start for his HighSchool team.Daniels is just a fill-in He has talent but his Basketball IQ is low.You can't play basketball and win when you have on 1 big man that can play. We played ok when we started with Newman, Ware, Q,Flat top Fred and Chicken. But as soon as Ready entered the game we went to $hit.

We cannot play man-to-man we must play a zone. man to man gets Ware in foul trouble and we can't defend dribble penetration. But let's don't jump on Howland-this team just isn't any good. Bite the bullet and next year we will have talent--yes SEC talent and we will win. I'm on board with Ben Howland for the long haul.

tcdog70
12-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Is this a joke? Aside from someone within the program saying there are locker room issues- it very easy to see on the court. There is no team play out there- it's "let's see who can shoot the ball before Newman does". IJ and Chicken force so many shots because they want to be the Alpha- and not let Malik be that guy. It's blatant when you watch them out there.
Also- watch the interaction of the guys between whistles. You can see it if you look

damn Coach for someone who made excuses and defended Ray for 3 years to be hard on Howland is confusing. have you got some kind of ****ed up agenda going again? how about let's give a Man who has proven time and again he is an elite Coach a chance. i have no doubt that We are on the right track. I also had no doubt that Rick Ray didn't have a clue and we were ****ed big time.

drunkernhelldawg
12-17-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm slightly concerned whether Howland's heart is totally in it. I'm hopeful that he's not regretting quitting the plum job he had: Retirement.

smootness
12-17-2015, 01:12 PM

Uh oh - looks like Howland now has to go**

starkvegasdawg
12-17-2015, 01:22 PM

If that is the case, and I have no reason to doubt that it is, then Howland needs to break a foot off in as many players as need be. I heard the same thing was happening last year to another player that is no longer on the team. Seems like some egos need to be checked and checked hard.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 01:24 PM
damn Coach for someone who made excuses and defended Ray for 3 years to be hard on Howland is confusing. have you got some kind of ****ed up agenda going again? how about let's give a Man who has proven time and again he is an elite Coach a chance. i have no doubt that We are on the right track. I also had no doubt that Rick Ray didn't have a clue and we were ****ed big time.

im not calling for his head and saying he won't be successful- but this team has more talent than Southern U and UMKC. As you said- this team must be a zone team and Howland has fought doing that all season. That cost us the Texas Tech game as well. We were down 13 against them when we went to the zone- lost by 2.

He's done a poor job coaching this team his year- SO FAR- that can't be denied. And it's ok to admit that. Doesn't mean he won't be successful at State

msstate7
12-17-2015, 01:27 PM
im not calling for his head and saying he won't be successful- but this team has more talent than Southern U and UMKC. As you said- this team must be a zone team and Howland has fought doing that all season. That cost us the Texas Tech game as well. We were down 13 against them when we went to the zone- lost by 2.

He's done a poor job coaching this team his year- SO FAR- that can't be denied. And it's ok to admit that. Doesn't mean he won't be successful at State

I'm really sick from this start, but we have a great class coming in and Howland has a great track record of turning programs around. Perhaps this is his process. Perhaps he turns things around by recruiting, not coaching. However he does it, he does it... I'm just throwing any expectations out the window for this year and just let Howland do what he does knowing good times are coming

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Howlands offenses shoot early and often, I highly doubt it's a conspiracy against malik.

thf24
12-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Howlands offenses shoot early and often, I highly doubt it's a conspiracy against malik.

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there are some things that are hard to ignore. Like last night, there was one instance where Ready picked up his dribble, and he could have handed the ball off to an uncovered Malik who was moving to his right, but instead he threw the ball into Ndoye in the post, who promptly and unsurprisingly turned it over. What is the reasoning there?

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there are some things that are hard to ignore. Like last night, there was one instance where Ready picked up his dribble, and he could have handed the ball off to an uncovered Malik who was moving to his right, but instead he threw the ball into Ndoye in the post, who promptly and unsurprisingly turned it over. What is the reasoning there?

He probably personally hates him. Or maybe, just maybe, for three years we've seen they aren't very good and they constantly miss open shots/passes

smootness
12-17-2015, 02:56 PM

He saw an open post player?

Coach34
12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
If you can't see it on the court- I can't help ya. It's the most obvious I've ever seen. And that was before a former player said anything

thf24
12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
He probably personally hates him. Or maybe, just maybe, for three years we've seen they aren't very good and they constantly miss open shots/passes

He saw an open post player?

Look, I'm just telling it how I see it. I'm not sure I've EVER seen Ndoye get an entry pass, because no matter how stupid our players supposedly are, they know damn well he's not going to do anything good with the ball on offense. Yet Ready chose that option over an easy pass to the other guard to reset the offense. My first thought was that I was shocked someone passed Ndoye the ball; I didn't even realize immediately Newman was standing right next to him. There were open entry passes to Ndoye all night and he was even calling for it, but it only got made that one time. Then there were at least two other times in that game where Ready passed up an easy, no-brainer opportunity to get Malik the ball, and one by Chicken. I'm normally not one to jump in on conspiracy theories, but there are enough rumors about the locker room going around that there's at least a possibility there's something to this.

mic
12-17-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm slightly concerned whether Howland's heart is totally in it. I'm hopeful that he's not regretting quitting the plum job he had: Retirement.

What?? Come on man... Coaches coach.. That's what they do.. It isn't like the guy is pushing 70...

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 03:24 PM
If you can't see it on the court- I can't help ya. It's the most obvious I've ever seen. And that was before a former player said anything

Quote or link that please

Coach34
12-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Quote or link that please

you want me to link a convo between Mic and a former player??? Or myself ??

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 03:37 PM
you want me to link a convo between Mic and a former player???

Or quote who said what instead of just claiming it

mic
12-17-2015, 03:40 PM

No need for the sources to be revealed.. Does more harm than good. If u don't believe it then so be it..
It's easy enough to tell on the court players aren't all on the same page..
Maybe things will get better moving forward with this team..

DudyDawg
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
No need for the sources to be revealed.. Does more harm than good. If u don't believe it then so be it..
It's easy enough to tell on the court players aren't all on the same page..
Maybe things will get better moving forward with this team..

You're right about revealing who, but what was said.

And just bc players aren't on the same page doesn't mean there is internal issues. There very well could be, just look at the rockets. It happens. But excuse me if I reserve jumping to that conclusion because some guy on the Internet said someone said something and one of our players made a post feed instead of a pass to Malik.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 03:46 PM

why would I do that??? Not gonna do that to them. I mean hell- I'm not going to make anything up like that

mic
12-17-2015, 03:47 PM
You're right about revealing who, but what was said.

And just bc players aren't on the same page doesn't mean there is internal issues. There very well could be, just look at the rockets. It happens. But excuse me if I reserve jumping to that conclusion because some guy on the Internet said someone said something and one of our players made a post feed instead of a pass to Malik.

The chemistry with the team isn't good.. Period

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 05:02 PM

The only person that really matters if he is seeing it is Howland. And if he is seeing it what is he going to do about it? If something doesn't change VERY soon I'm done with this team. They aren't currently worth the time invested to even watch them on TV, much less travel to a game.

MarketingBully
12-17-2015, 05:19 PM
The only person that really matters if he is seeing it is Howland. And if he is seeing it what is he going to do about it? If something doesn't change VERY soon I'm done with this team. They aren't currently worth the time invested to even watch them on TV, much less travel to a game.

There's really only so much a coach can do when these issues arise. The only thing he could control is possibly kicking said players that are causing said riffs on said team off the team. But then again it looks like the players causing the riffs are seniors so he might be thinking they will be gone next year anyway and we can't afford to kick anyone else off the team at this juncture without hurting everyone. He did kick the one guy who has been the biggest cancer off the team in Houston. But ultimately it is on the players themselves to lead the team. Someone on the team has to step up and tell them to knock it off. Personally, I wish it would be Ware because he is the one guy that seems to be buying in.

tcdog70
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM

ok that makes sense-good answer

tcdog70
12-17-2015, 05:28 PM

you can make a long list of stupid shit IJ does. have you noticed that every time they set IJ a screen he goes the wrong way and He never tries to pass to the screener. he doesn't understand the concept of a pick.

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 05:29 PM
There's really only so much a coach can do when these issues arise. The only thing he could control is possibly kicking said players that are causing said riffs on said team off the team. But then again it looks like the players causing the riffs are seniors so he might be thinking they will be gone next year anyway and we can't afford to kick anyone else off the team at this juncture without hurting everyone. He did kick the one guy who has been the biggest cancer off the team in Houston. But ultimately it is on the players themselves to lead the team. Someone on the team has to step up and tell them to knock it off. Personally, I wish it would be Ware because he is the one guy that seems to be buying in.

I would have a long hard chat in my office with a player that is not playing team ball and if I didn't get the responses I was looking for he would be riding the bench most of the rest of the year. The player in question is not a player we can't do without. In fact, we played our best ball last night right when the game started before said player ever got on the floor.

mic
12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
I would have a long hard chat in my office with a player that is not playing team ball and if I didn't get the responses I was looking for he would be riding the bench most of the rest of the year. The player in question is not a player we can't do without. In fact, we played our best ball last night right when the game started before said player ever got on the floor.

That office might have more than one player in it..

shannondawg
12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
i just noticed a big drop off when Ready came into the game and I don't think that was my imagination. Maybe it was his turf toe??????

tcdog70
12-17-2015, 07:47 PM
When Fred was playing with Q, MN, Chicken and Ware, he played really well. he defended and rebounded and hit the open shot. When IJ came in we had the lead and immediately they went on a run. Ware has got to learn to not foul.