PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the schedules of both Us and OM, what will be the sentiment if....

RougeDawg
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
The Bears start out 1-3, heading into Auburn, A&M, LSU, Idaho stretch. If they have a 1-3 start, they are most likely looking at 2-6, 3-5 at best. And State starts out 3-1 (win one of OKSt or Auburn) with LSU (legitimate shot to win) and then BG and Kentucky. Realistic chance to start 5-2 (possibly 6-1 catching some breaks) in the same time frame as bears going 2-6.

I have a feeling that this season will be a replay of 2010 and the Bears will fall flat on their faces. If these two scenarios play out what will their spin be? All of our first 7 games are winnable games with 2 being difficult and Auburn being a should win. I just cant imagine the suicide watch alerts that will go out if the season starts out even close to the two scenarios above. Freeze has that fan base believing they can beat the Saints and Falcons and compete for the NFC South Division this year. I see 4 wins on their horizon.

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
We all said this ab OM last yr too

MarketingBully01
08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Nobody respected them last year either playing them. They didn't get anyone's best shot. Heck, Alabama played their worst game of the season against them and still beat them by 3 touchdowns.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
We all said this ab OM last yr too

Doesn't apply. We will be the ones that are underdogs and Ole Miss is somehow getting respect right now.

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Doesn't apply. We will be the ones that are underdogs and Ole Miss is somehow getting respect right now.

How does it not apply? We (myself included) saw 3-4 wins last yr and they won 6 and beat our ass...he is saying "4 wins on their horizon"

AROB44
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Even if this did happen, there will still be a part of our fan base that would continue to think OM is passing us by and that we are still doomed. I acutually had 2 MSU fans tell me yesterday that last year was a disaster for us. We didn't be anybody and that Mullen needs to start winning games against teams that "count". My reply was that I was amazed that any State fan could bitch about winiing 8 games....just damn unbelievable.

RougeDawg
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
How does it not apply? We (myself included) saw 3-4 wins last yr and they won 6 and beat our ass...he is saying "4 wins on their horizon"

And they will get the full brunt of their opponents from the opening snap. Being that their schedule is top heavy and they will get this heavy onslaught of bigger teams with more depth, they will be beaten and worn down by the final stretch of games. Depth will rear its head after their 5 game SECW + TX slate, and they'll be limping into the last month. Alabama played their entire team and half the band against OM last year.

That wont happen this year. Every team has had 8 months to scheme against Bucky's offense and round 2 is never easy in the SEC. I just don't understand all the hype. It was apparent that they blew their load last year. Nobody took them serious, including us, they played way above their talent and depth, and stole a couple wins they normally wouldn't have. The funniest thing is that OM players and fans alike have a false sense of confidence based on their performance against teams who didn't give a shit about playing them. They will get teams giving more than "going through the motions" effort this year and will be in for a "MSU in Tuscaloose 2012 awakening" when the big boys actually hit them in the mouth.

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I hope it happens like that...would absolutely love it.

I do agree their fanbase has a false sense of confidence

KennyPowers2
08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I am hoping this scenario does play out. I was not surprised they beat us last year. Hell, they were bound to beat us eventually, they are our rival and we were at their house with a new coach and some energy. I think we win this year and they do fall flat on their faces In a couple games. I'm not expecting us to win 8 but we will beat them and go bowling.

blacklistedbully
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
And they will get the full brunt of their opponents from the opening snap. Being that their schedule is top heavy and they will get this heavy onslaught of bigger teams with more depth, they will be beaten and worn down by the final stretch of games. Depth will rear its head after their 5 game SECW + TX slate, and they'll be limping into the last month. Alabama played their entire team and half the band against OM last year.

That wont happen this year. Every team has had 8 months to scheme against Bucky's offense and round 2 is never easy in the SEC. I just don't understand all the hype. It was apparent that they blew their load last year. Nobody took them serious, including us, they played way above their talent and depth, and stole a couple wins they normally wouldn't have. The funniest thing is that OM players and fans alike have a false sense of confidence based on their performance against teams who didn't give a shit about playing them. They will get teams giving more than "going through the motions" effort this year and will be in for a "MSU in Tuscaloose 2012 awakening" when the big boys actually hit them in the mouth.

I've been saying this too. They are taking confidence in playing TAMU so close (as are a lot of drive-by cfb fans who find them a fashionable pick for dark horse), when the reality is they enjoyed a +4 t/o advantage. That generally equals a 32 point swing, as each t/o is a -4 for the team that commits it and a +4 for the team that gets it. So that 3-point loss they are so proud of, and dumbasses from other schools are impressed with should actually be viewed as a humiliating loss, akin to a 35-point loss if both sides don;t turn it over.

And we know our Bulldogs laid a huge egg last season, particularly in the Egg Bowl, a game that was nonetheless tied at halftime. We truly had to play like complete shit for OM to beat us the way they did. Now add to that they probably should have lost to Arky, and they really should have come into the Egg Bowl at 4-7, no hype, no excitement, no chance at a bowl game, no momentum, etc. Does anybody really think they come into that game as fired up as they did had that happened? Instead of everyone praising Freeze as the second coming of John Vaught, they're instead skipping games again, saying, "here we go again", having been blown out by Texas, Bama, TAMU, UGA, and having lost to a very bad Arky and at home to Vandy again! No low-tier bowl game to beat another crappy team in, just a whole bunch more of what they've been experiencing since 2010.

To me, it really is that simple, that close. And I totally agree that Ole Miss did not get team's best shot. They greatly benefited from the unusual up-tempo scheme catching the SEC a bit by surprise, particularly coming from an opponent they likely felt they could walk over with little effort.

It sucks that they were able to parlay that hype into a very nice recruiting class, and ultimately that has a good chance of helping them get legitimately good soon. But I do think they struggle this year, and would love nothing more (other than a great start by us) than to see the wheels come off the wagon for them after a 1-6 or 2-5 start this year.

fishwater99
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
They are already saying that it will be good for the freshmen to play early and often this year and take some lumps.
Then in 2 more years they will win the SEC.

If they can lose to Vandy, then I can see them starting out 1-3. But that's a Big If...

Nicky Santoro
08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
It won't be long until we find out... Bears will struggle with their schedule. I don't think they beat Vandy - but they could. Injuries in their camp will mount (I hear they have more than Sanders out - but keeping it quiet). 1-3 is most realistic possibility to begin - and then they have only 1 sure win the rest of the way...

If we play like I think we will - there will be quite a contrast going on around MS. We will snatch the momentum back and they will pack it in way before Thanksgiving.

Their fans will turn on freeze and life will be good again.

blacklistedbully
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
They are already saying that it will be good for the freshmen to play early and often this year and take some lumps.
Then in 2 more years they will win the SEC.

If they can lose to Vandy, then I can see them starting out 1-3. But that's a Big If...

They have trouble beating Vandy when Vandy is shitty. Vandy is not shitty these days, so I don't see that as a big "if", rather a distinct possibility. And if they can start 1-3, they can damn sure start 1-6. If they don't beat Vandy, their other best chance is at Auburn. Though Auburn is rebuilding, Malzahn is quite possibly the best guy for them to have when prepping for the up-tempo offense OM will want to use. And Auburn still has elite athletes.

Auburn at home, with Gus Malzahn calling the shots, and a bye week to prepare = a tough matchup for OM.

Coach34
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
They are a 6-7 win team. But injuries and a tough early schedule could take its toll.

The Vandy game will define their season- going 1-3 headed to the Plains is not something they want to face

I seen it dawg
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Shit those clowns are still proud of the Texas ass-raping they received.

engie
08-05-2013, 05:02 PM
They are a 6-7 win team. But injuries and a tough early schedule could take its toll.

The Vandy game will define their season- going 1-3 headed to the Plains is not something they want to face

Yep, exactly.

Not even so much as "injuries could take their toll" -- they already have taken their toll on them. They are heavily reliant on PERFECT physical and mental recoveries from a bunch of guys in order to seriously compete this year...

Your talking Sawyer, Wallace, CJ, Gross, Shackelford, Morris, and Golson coming off injuries -- and them needing most of them to be perfect on week 1. That's 7 of 22 projected starters coming off injury(6 of which I believe actually required surgery)...

One guy got dinged today and Nkemdiche was running with the 1's. Pierce Burton got dinged yesterday and Tunsil was with the 1's. Already know they are going to have to rely on a true FR tight end and a true FR at one of the receiver positions. They are RAZOR thin.

Now, if they get lucky like last year on the injury front, all these guys come back and are 100% mentally from day 1(something that's asking a helluva lot), they could be very good... But they are also 1-2 injuries or slow recoveries(mentally or physically) away from being exposed in a really bad way...

EAVdog
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Sure it could happen to all of us but if Wallace isn't ready and Freeze throws him out there he could re-injure the shoulder and they're looking at a long season. They beat the odds with injuries last year it will catch up to them most likely. By the end of the Season the media will turn on Freeze and call Ole Miss fool's gold. But by then recruiting season will start!

messageboardsuperhero
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Shit those clowns are still proud of the Texas ass-raping they received.

I still laugh my ass off thinking about all the UM fans posting about how that game was a moral victory because they "didn't lay down."

They are the only people I know of that can take a damn 35 point beatdown at home while giving up 66 points and try to somehow spin it into a positive. Their spin-machine really is something.

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Moral Victory U

engie
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
That's true about the Texas game for them though -- and IMO was impressive to behold on their behalf. I don't blame them for being proud of that team never quitting after they watched 2 seasons of a team that looked for any reason to quit...And make no mistake, they were playing hard as shit as the clock expired in that game.

Personally, I'm jealous of that approach(compared to what I saw last year) that they pulled off, and I expect to get it back...

TopDog58
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
If Wallace stays healthy, Mississippi will win 6-7 games. Us, Vandy, and Auburn are their swing games. Even assuming losses to Texas, A&M, Alabama, and LSU, they are still even picks at worst in just about every other game. Now, all this 2nd or 3rd in the West mess is kinda going overboard, but they will have a pretty good season.

Drugdog
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
I want 8-4. And the Egg.. 7-5 and egg would b ok. With a bowl win.

99jc
08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
year and am planning on betting big on them in that game to cover.

Political Hack
08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
this is the school that claims recruiting championships when they finish 3rd in their division according to magical stars that websites put next to kids' names.

engie
08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
If Wallace stays healthy, Mississippi will win 6-7 games. Us, Vandy, and Auburn are their swing games. Even assuming losses to Texas, A&M, Alabama, and LSU, they are still even picks at worst in just about every other game. Now, all this 2nd or 3rd in the West mess is kinda going overboard, but they will have a pretty good season.

Gonna be alot of people wondering why they were asleep on Mizzou this year...

Average 9 wins over 7 season in the Big12 and come within a gnat's ass of winning a title before destroying Arky in the Cotton Bowl(last time a Big12 team won it) -- go 5-7 in year 1 in the SEC where you are crazy injured and with a bitch of a cross-division schedule(Alabama and aTm) -- suddenly you are everyone's afterthought and a chalked up win...

Coach 57
08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
@engie- I think Mizzou is going to shock some people this year. Their offense is going to do well if they keep Franklin healthy.

Coach34
08-05-2013, 09:29 PM
year and am planning on betting big on them in that game to cover.

May I ask why?

Vandy has owned the Series
Vandy won in Oxford last year
Vandy has a couple of draft picks on defense
Vandy has one of the best WR's in the SEC
Vandy will be at home
Vandy gets to spend all August getting ready for their offense
Vandy starts 10 Jr's or Sr's on defense- only 4 of Vandy's 22 starters will not be a Jr or Sr

engie
08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
May I ask why?

Vandy will be at home
Vandy starts 10 Jr's or Sr's on defense- only 4 of Vandy's 22 starters will not be a Jr or Sr

Vandy ALSO opened last season at home against the South Carolina Gamecocks as the Thursday night primetime game and lost 17-13 with turnovers in a game that saw them actually outplay Spurrier overall(with a healthy Lattimore)...

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Vandy has a new (freshman?) QB.

On the other hand, OM is no doubt buying in to their own hype.

Will James
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
I've been on this line for weeks Rouge. Of course I'm hoping for 2-10 to happen but 4 is a good guess.

messageboardsuperhero
08-05-2013, 10:33 PM
May I ask why?

Vandy will be at home

Vandy also comes into the game healthier and with more depth.
And as Flab just said, UM is for sure paying attention to their own hype.

I'm still not ready to definitively pick Vandy, but I'm sure as hell not betting against them.

Coach34
08-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Vandy has a new (freshman?) QB.

On the other hand, OM is no doubt buying in to their own hype.

They have a Senior battling a R-Fr for the job

Todd4State
08-06-2013, 12:15 AM
To pile on, the only way that they beat us last year:

1. Bobby Petrino.
2. Had to beat Arkansas on a last second field goal.
3. Barely beat an extremely down Auburn team when Jeff Scott scored on a squirrely play that put the game away.
4. Had no major injuries.
5. Had us at home.

In other words, they had to have a LOT of things go right and they did. What are the odds of that happening two years in a row?

sandwolf
08-06-2013, 12:20 AM
That's true about the Texas game for them though -- and IMO was impressive to behold on their behalf. I don't blame them for being proud of that team never quitting after they watched 2 seasons of a team that looked for any reason to quit...And make no mistake, they were playing hard as shit as the clock expired in that game.

Personally, I'm jealous of that approach(compared to what I saw last year) that they pulled off, and I expect to get it back...

Couldn't agree more.