PDA

View Full Version : All of you who think Texas A&M is some 'sleeping giant'......

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 09:32 AM
and on par with Texas, Alabama, Florida, USC, etc........I'll be here to say I told you so all season. Especially when Johnny completely self-destructs and aTm is left with a 6-6 team.

engie
08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
and on par with Texas, Alabama, Florida, USC, etc........I'll be here to say I told you so all season. Especially when Johnny completely self-destructs and aTm is left with a 6-6 team.

Methinks someone needs to educate Goat on the difference between "sleeping giant" and "awake giant".

It's IGNORANT to not see them as a sleeping giant. They are the early 00s LSU with 25x the money...

SignalToNoise
08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
A lot of people (me included) think they have the resources for this to come true: giant alumni base/fan support, nice stadium addition in the works, plenty of money, fertile recruiting grounds of Texas, etc. The average fan doesn't see beyond the benefits of Manziel. They also benefitted from the same terrible Auburn and Arkansas like the rest of us.

Looking at their schedule, I think they can do better than 6-6 in the worst case scenario that Manziel ruled ineligible.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I just don't see it. I don't see that the new SEC money can suddenly 'awaken' them. It goes beyond simply money and resources.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
The average fan doesn't see beyond the benefits of Manziel. They also benefitted from the same terrible Auburn and Arkansas like the rest of us.......Looking at their schedule, I think they can do better than 6-6 in the worst case scenario that Manziel ruled ineligible.

Well, that and I don't think many SEC teams REALLY respected them last year. And their OL was probably the nation's best (I've said countless times that the OL is the heart of your football team). Minus JFF, I don't think they are that great.

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
They'll be competing for the West just ab every yr imo....Johnny Nightmare is just one player..they'll be good regardless

FISHDAWG
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM
and what do you base this assumption on ? ..... certainly not last years performance

ckDOG
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Insane amounts of money + supportive fan base + SEC affiliation + TX recruiting base + out of UT's shadow = GIANT. Anything less than that and their sports administration is failing their fans.

Rick Danko
08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Perennial top 3 in the west I believe. They have the money, resources, ties to Texas recruiting while also selling playing in the SEC, a fanbase that is very supportive, etc. Count me as one that was very sad to see them come into the SEC.

maroonmania
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
The biggest thing they have going for them is a dang good football coach in Kevin Sumlin. Yes, JFF may make them elite while he is there (assuming he doesn't self-destruct), but with Sumlin they will still be quite good long after Manziel is a memory. In fact, doubt you will hear much about Houston football now that Sumlin is gone from there.

AROB44
08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Hell...they have always had money, resources, fan base, etc., but never could win the Big 12 or the old SWC. I think the loss of the OC will be bigger than some think. We may get to see just how good Sumlin really is. It's not like A&M has a track record of hiring good coaches....They are pretty similar to us in that regards....

bocfarm
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
As long as he has a talented QB Sumlin will do very well....the #1 QB in the country is committed to them btw

engie
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I just don't see it. I don't see that the new SEC money can suddenly 'awaken' them. It goes beyond simply money and resources.

We're not talking about "new SEC" money goat. We're talking about their finances period...

aTm endowment - $7,638,000,000 ($639 million in interest LAST year)
Vandy endowment(2nd in SEC by a long shot) - almost $4 billion exactly
MSU endowment - $343,857,000

They are completing the most expensive stadium renovation in the history of college athletics. They have ridiculous fan support -- and they will have the nicest(and probably loudest) stadium in the country. It was already deafening without being enclosed(and with roofs on it). They've already sold out all but 2 of what will be 144 suites, the CHEAPEST of which went for $80k/yr. They have 10 founder's suites that sold out in ONE WEEK @ $1mil/yr over 15 years(had to do a 15yr CGA to get them) which is not considering the yearly contributions.

So, 10 suites at Texas A&M's new Kyle Field would PAY OFF MSU's current stadium expansion 5 years by themselves. Their athletics income is about to be right there with Alabama and Texas at the top of the heap. They are going to earn an extra $40-50mil/yr from that stadium vs what they had before...

They are in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country -- and they are now choice #1 for most of those kids. Currently, the highest rated Texas kid that is going to Texas is #10. LSU will get 2 of the top 10 -- aTm will get 4. At best, Texas gets 2 of them. 7 of the top 10 in Texas will likely play in the SEC(one other favoring Florida) -- and this is ONLY the beginning. Nevermind that aTm is probably the only school in the country that can poach Louisiana to an extent(proximity). These are kids that haven't even seen the real recruiting bump aTm is about to get yet. Their momentum is just beginning...

Hey, I'd LOVE for them to spin their wheels like they have for the past 20-25 years -- and be Arkansas part 2(the absolute bottom of aTm's potential). Would LOVE it. Would make our "climb" much easier. I just don't see it working out like that... Got too many factors working in their favor...

SignalToNoise
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Everyone will agree that merely having resources is not enough-- they have to be put to use, and that's what we might finally be seeing from them. Hiring good coaches, replacing an AD if that's what it takes, beefing up the compliance department if necessary. Whatever. To leverage engie's post from earlier, no one is saying they've awaken. They are still sleeping, but it looks like they might be emerging from that sleep pretty soon.

bocfarm
They had 15 4 star kids in last yrs recruiting class alone and 9 so far this yr...engie is completely accurate here, the ceiling is very high for them.

We have one 4 star WR from TX and we all have boners...think about having several of those guys every recruiting class.

maroonmania
We're not talking about "new SEC" money goat. We're talking about their finances period...

aTm endowment - $7,638,000,000 ($639 million in interest LAST year)
Vandy endowment(2nd in SEC by a long shot) - almost $4 billion exactly
MSU endowment - $343,857,000

They are completing the most expensive stadium renovation in the history of college athletics. They have ridiculous fan support -- and they will have the nicest(and probably loudest) stadium in the country. It was already deafening without being enclosed(and with roofs on it). They've already sold out all but 2 of what will be 144 suites, the CHEAPEST of which went for $80k/yr. They have 10 founder's suites that sold out in ONE WEEK @ $1mil/yr over 15 years(had to do a 15yr CGA to get them) which is not considering the yearly contributions.

So, 10 suites at Texas A&M's new Kyle Field would PAY OFF MSU's current stadium expansion 5 years by themselves. Their athletics income is about to be right there with Alabama and Texas at the top of the heap. They are going to earn an extra $40-50mil/yr from that stadium vs what they had before...

They are in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country -- and they are now choice #1 for most of those kids. Currently, the highest rated Texas kid that is going to Texas is #10. LSU will get 2 of the top 10 -- aTm will get 4. At best, Texas gets 2 of them. 7 of the top 10 in Texas will likely play in the SEC(one other favoring Florida) -- and this is ONLY the beginning. Nevermind that aTm is probably the only school in the country that can poach Louisiana to an extent(proximity). These are kids that haven't even seen the real recruiting bump aTm is about to get yet. Their momentum is just beginning...

Hey, I'd LOVE for them to spin their wheels like they have for the past 20-25 years -- and be Arkansas part 2(the absolute bottom of aTm's potential). Would LOVE it. Would make our "climb" much easier. I just don't see it working out like that... Got too many factors working in their favor...

But they've always had plenty of money and very good facilities. The real difference now is a good coach along with the recruiting attraction of playing in the SEC which UT DOESN'T have.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I understand the numbers. I won't dispute that. But the only change between THEN (yester-year ie aTm's disappointing past) and NOW is simply that they are in the SEC and that they don't play Texas. Money has never been an object for them.

I just think many people are hopping on the aTm bandwagon due to one season where they had everything going for them, at the right place at the right time. They had much momentum. THAT is why they are recruiting better. People like Sumlin's offensive system. That's not an A&M thing, that's everywhere.

I also think it's a culture deal. I'm not sure 'Texas A&M' is a brand that will attract what you need.

Not to mention that Texas isn't going away.

I have no doubt that Texas A&M will improve. But not at this astronomical rate. They aren't going to become an elite either, IMO.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I personally think Texas recruits are overrated, at least the ones we could get. Outside maybe QB and WR. So I agree and disagree I guess. And I'm not judging shit on Ross until I see that guy do it on Saturday. They do get better coaching over there, but I think better overall talent is found elsewhere, specifically Atlanta, South Florida, Tampa and Los Angeles. I even think we can do better by staying in Louisiana and Alabama.

It_Could_Happen
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
They are in Texas. They have money. End of story

Coach 57
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
The best way to utilize a mobile QB's strengths is with great OTs (see Sherrod). aTm had two of the best OTs in the nation. That was why they were so good last year. Plus they have an offensive genius as a HC.

M.Fillmore
08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm with Engie on this one. Now that aTm is part of the SEC they won't have the Texas media kissing Texas Longhorn butt all the time. The strength of the SEC will enhance aTm and the media will have the cover them better. It is not like the local yokel writers are going to side with Florida or South Carolina. The SEC will continue to skulldrag the Big 12 in football championships. Sure the Big 12 will win some regular season games versus the SEC, but the championship domination will continue and that will only help aTm in recruiting versus Texas for the local bluechips.

ckDOG
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I understand the numbers. I won't dispute that. But the only change between THEN (yester-year ie aTm's disappointing past) and NOW is simply that they are in the SEC and that they don't play Texas. Money has never been an object for them.

I just think many people are hopping on the aTm bandwagon due to one season where they had everything going for them, at the right place at the right time. They had much momentum. THAT is why they are recruiting better. People like Sumlin's offensive system. That's not an A&M thing, that's everywhere.

I also think it's a culture deal. I'm not sure 'Texas A&M' is a brand that will attract what you need.

I have no doubt that Texas A&M will improve. But not at this astronomical rate. They aren't going to become an elite either, IMO.

I think you are underestimating the way UT held them down. A&M was always second to UT in terms of athletics recognition, reputation, etc. UT did a great job making them seem 2nd class compared to them. Now that they are out of a conference that's going to cater to UT, they can get out of that cast shadow. They are able to create a new and better image and not have to give a damn what Texas has to say about it or spin in. Joining the SEC is the smartest thing A&M could have done to give them their best shot at reaching full potential. No more "big bro" to worry about.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I think an element of that will remain, albeit political. And once Texas gets Mack Brown out of the way and hires a real coach, you're going to see what a real power really looks like.

SheltonChoked
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM
No the difference is Texas (and Texas A&M before last year) does not understand big time College Football.

I have been in Texas since 1997. When I moved here, I was amazed that A&M was an easy 90 minute drive from downtown Houston and has as small support it does. Within a 3 hour drive of College station is Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. Each with a poulation larger than all of Mississippi and Alabama. Think about that. If Birmingham was the size of Houston, Bryant Denny would be 200,000. Hell if Jackson was the size of SA, we'd have built a 110,000 seat stadium.

But here, until last year, it was nothing.

Aggies here are still excited that the Sam Houston game is on PPV!!! It took me MONTHS to convince the Aggie I work with that ALL of thier home games would be on TV. They don't get it.

With Manziel out, they may not win 6 games, but it doesn;t matter about this year. A&M is wakeing up. And the longer DeLoss and Mack are at Texas, the bigger the giant will be.

This is not 2000's LSU, this is 1990 Florida. With more money, More TV, and more passion.

engie
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
The Texas > aTm angle has tremendous similarities to the OM>MSU angle...

People get conformed to a way of thinking over time and they find it incredibly difficult to change that manner of thinking even if it's no longer even remotely a reality...

ShotgunDawg
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
The Texas > aTm angle has tremendous similarities to the OM>MSU angle...

People get conformed to a way of thinking over time and they find it incredibly difficult to change that manner of thinking even if it's no longer even remotely a reality...

I agree Texas A&M is a sleeping giant, but why would they be any better than Texas has been for the last 20 years, which is pretty good, but inconsistent. Certainly not Alabama.

Texas will rebound against them as well. Not sure if any of you have ever been to Austin, but it beats the HELL out of College Station. Texas A&M will be good and should compete in the top 3 of the SEC West year after year, but I think to be Alabama there has to be the right coach, tradition, and circumstances to arise. They will be beatable.

engie
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I agree Texas A&M is a sleeping giant, but why would they be any better than Texas has been for the last 20 years, which is pretty good, but inconsistent. Certainly not Alabama.
HUH? You are getting your signals crossed with Texas having what will prove to be a pretty average coach going through a rough stretch(squarely on the hot seat) while Alabama currently has the best coach of our generation... Make no mistake, Texas has won BIGTIME over the past 20 years -- and that's with Oklahoma(and Nebraska) standing in their way, where a loss kept them out of title games(very different than the current system, where SEC perception has allowed Alabama to win 2 of 3 national titles with a loss).

Since 1990:
Texas - 206-79-2
Alabama - 176-93

Since 2000:
Texas - 132-35(that's right -- they've AVERAGED 10 wins/yr over the past 13 years)
Alabama - 93-53

Since Saban(6 years -- in which Texas has been "down" for 3):
Texas - 57-21
Alabama - 63-13

Texas will rebound against them as well. Not sure if any of you have ever been to Austin, but it beats the HELL out of College Station. Texas A&M will be good and should compete in the top 3 of the SEC West year after year, but I think to be Alabama there has to be the right coach, tradition, and circumstances to arise. They will be beatable.
They are both good places. Just different. College Station is Starkville on steroids. Needless to say, I like it there.

Not everyone wants to live in the MIDDLE of a cramped city to go to college basically in highrises with 50,000 other people on 40 acres. I dated a Vandy girl and a UK girl -- and loved to VISIT those campuses in the big cities. However, if I stayed more than a few days, I felt like the walls were closing in. I wouldn't think I was at all outside the norm for kids in Texas and Mississippi...

Bothrops
08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
I once thought that A&M would return to irrelevancy after the Manziel era was over. But now I realize that was just wishful thinking on my part. They have enough money and invested interest in football to get anything they want, while having the ability to buy their way out of any situation. They will be a perennial top 3 team in the west. Their ceiling of success really has no limitation. It all boils down to what most people care about more than anything else, power and influence. A byproduct of being extremely wealthy.

SheltonChoked
08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
But DeLoss has to step down before Mack will.

And that better happen this year. A&M has something to sell that Texas cannot. The SEC. And all the games will be on a National TV broadcast starting in 2014.

The TV coverage for the BIG12 is horrible. Imagine if the 11:20 JP game was the 2nd best you could get, that's the Big 12.

Yes, Texas has more money that God and the best facilities, but they only play one game a year. Memorial is now over 100k, but no one cheers, and not one tailgates, no one gets excited.

A&M now has their pick of recruits in Texas. LSU, Alabama and others will soon.

Texas has already been passed.

bobcat91
08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I am a graduate from both MSU and Texas A & M. If you don't understand what they have the potential to do then don't be a fool. Go educate yourself. They have more money than God, the most fertile recruiting ground in the nation, and sweet Texas honeys. They are not a sleeping giant. They are on a course to dominate college sports. We talk about upgrades: they make it happen. We act happy about $75 million that we can borrow to expand by 7000 seats. They raise $450 million at a freaking poker game to create the most expensive expansion in history. Their basketball collesum rivals Kentucky and North Carolina. I've been to all three. We aren't even in discussions with an architect for Dudy Noble after playing for a championship and if you haven't seen Blue Bell Park, you've missed a gem. If Johnny Manziel doesn't play, they don't care because they run a system offense, make a few adjustments and keep clicking. So say what you want, but rouse the beast at your own peril. With the right coaches in place, they are dominant.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I am a graduate from both MSU and Texas A & M. If you don't understand what they have the potential to do then don't be a fool. Go educate yourself. They have more money than God, the most fertile recruiting ground in the nation, and sweet Texas honeys. They are not a sleeping giant. They are on a course to dominate college sports. We talk about upgrades: they make it happen. We act happy about $75 million that we can borrow to expand by 7000 seats. They raise $450 million at a freaking poker game to create the most expensive expansion in history. Their basketball collesum rivals Kentucky and North Carolina. I've been to all three. We aren't even in discussions with an architect for Dudy Noble after playing for a championship and if you haven't seen Blue Bell Park, you've missed a gem. If Johnny Manziel doesn't play, they don't care because they run a system offense, make a few adjustments and keep clicking. So say what you want, but rouse the beast at your own peril. With the right coaches in place, they are dominant.

Why haven't they done it? They have more money than God huh, well they didn't just get it this year. Why is their on-field tradition shitty? They have all these facilities, why do they suck in basketball and baseball? Something's got to give here.

Is it the culture? An inferiority complex? What is it?

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Why haven't they done it? They have more money than God huh, well they didn't just get it this year. Why is their on-field tradition shitty? They have all these facilities, why do they suck in basketball and baseball? Something's got to give here.

Texas politics.

But now the SEC opens avenues that Texas politics are powerless to meddle with.

32 Dive
08-05-2013, 03:17 PM
As an Aggie fan (They are team #2, and I'll talk about that later, if absolutely necessary) for over 25 years, I'll offer up my inferior, sometimes inaccurate, and incoherent, perspective.

A&M has always had a knack of not getting out of their own way. Money is not that much of a problem. Energizing and uniting the alumni/booster/fanbase has...

The Big XII (and SWC before it) is nothing but a politically manipulated, life support system for the ******l parasite that is the University of Texas. Oklahoma is the other main player, no doubt. But, all the control comes mainly from Austin. Thats why there is not an equal revenue sharing model, like in the SEC. Most older Aggies were content in the Stockholm Syndrome of this arrangement. The young Aggies were relatively unenergized under these circumstances.

Anyhoo, the change of conference venue brought about a paradigm shift in the perspective, and support levels of younger aggies with big money. The changes in the Athletic Department have only bolstered that.

We all know the advanced development of Texas HS players. (You can bring the argument that their development has peaked in the H.S. years, for which both sides have strong arguments), A&M is now in such a strong position, where they were third behind tu and OU.

With the lofty status of the SEC( the increased visibility of the A&M brand, because of it), the subsequent increase of capital, and the lancing off of the parasitic big brother, A&M is in a position to corner the Texas market (short/intermediate term) for eyeballs and recruits. A&M has virtually no "t-shirt" fans, compared to Texas, Oklahoma, and not to even mention the big boys of the SEC. That is now changing.

As long as they "pull the rope the same direction," they will make sharp progress. But when that momentum slows down, for whatever reason, they will have accumulated a larger base of fans and dollars. Before, this would have caused A&M to relatively tank. This newly found mobilization of support, has raised the floor, and the ceiling of Texas A&M Football.

I see parts of 1990 UF, & 2000's LSU.

Change for us, is a much slower process. We must be patient, while our floor and ceiling are raised.

#HAILSTATE

SignalToNoise
08-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Well you are right, they have managed to do less with more. They appear to have a great coach in Sumlin. Looks like the recruiting is picking up. Everything looks to be falling into place. That's why people think the sleeping giant is beginning to awake.

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Well put, 32 Dive.

We at MSU like to gripe at the political power that Ole Miss wields in our state. But it is peanuts compared to what aTm has been saddled with in the past. Now aTm is getting unchained - look out. The & is silent.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 03:24 PM
A&M has something to sell that Texas cannot. The SEC.

This is temporary. It goes in cycles.

Yes, Texas has more money that God and the best facilities

Wait, I thought this was the criteria you all were using to say Texas A&M would dominate the entire Earth???

Memorial is now over 100k, but no one cheers, and not one tailgates, no one gets excited.

Have you lost your mind? You just said Texas people don't care about Texas Longhorn football.

A&M now has their pick of recruits in Texas. LSU, Alabama and others will soon.

Highly, HIGHLY doubt this is true. If it is, it is temporary.

Texas has already been passed.

Bwa ha ha, R I G H T.

Goat Holder
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Good post and good explanation. I can buy this. I will say, however, it sounds like you have a big bias towards Texas. I mean, Johnny Football himself wishes he played at Texas, per his own words.

But one thing....isn't the Big 12 pretty much handing out the money to whoever wins it? How is that controlled by Texas? And even if it really is, doesn't that show you how much power they really do have? They can control the whole of a major BCS conference. That's insane. They can do it, we know they are doing it, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

32 Dive
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
1)The SEC has been in a nice 7 year "cycle"...

2)Texas coaches, administration, and fans ALL have a false sense of entitlement. That is why they are so passive...

3)A&M has most certainly established an in-state recruiting momentum they have not seen since the heyday of one Jackie Wayne Sherrill.

4)Texas HAS been passed by A&M, in perception. And in the fickle nature of this business, perception equals reality.

bobcat91
08-05-2013, 03:50 PM
A brief look at their football program shows numerous top ten finishes from Sherrill til now. This is with being hamstrung by Texas politics which is a sport unto itself. As far as baseball, they have been to the college world series on several occasion s recently. Basketball is a head scratcher. I think its poor choice of coaches in that area. They have won track championships, women's basketball championships, etc. If they had Greg Byrne as AD the sky would be the limit. I'm a big State fan but nothing we do is in their realm in men's sports but baseball. That's why I want the football spending to finish up so we can concentrate one baseball where a national championship is possible.

32 Dive
08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Good post and good explanation. I can buy this. I will say, however, it sounds like you have a big bias towards Texas. I mean, Johnny Football himself wishes he played at Texas, per his own words.

But one thing....isn't the Big 12 pretty much handing out the money to whoever wins it? How is that controlled by Texas? And even if it really is, doesn't that show you how much power they really do have? They can control the whole of a major BCS conference. That's insane. They can do it, we know they are doing it, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

You control that you win it (games and the money grab) by making sure that Kansas and Iowa State remain... Kansas and Iowa State. By keeping the playing field as unleveled as possible, you maintain your previously achieved status, and developed advantages.

32 Dive
08-05-2013, 03:53 PM
That's why I want the football spending to finish up so we can concentrate one baseball where a national championship is possible.

While I agree with you in the desire to invest in baseball, the revenue generation importance of football requires constant reinvestment. It's a tough balance. Im glad I don't have to make that choice...

blacklistedbully
08-05-2013, 03:57 PM

I don't think you're giving enough weight to the impact being in the SEC is having on their recruiting. Even though they had more money than God before, they were still always a pretender to Texas. They were a school that had to mostly take the scraps from the Longhorn food table, because UT also has the money, but also the winning tradition, NC's, etc, etc. No amount of money was going to change that for them in the B12. But being the only SEC team in Texas changes that whole dynamic in a huge way, and that's completely because of the way the SEC has dominated cfb for so long now. Elite recruits who in the past would have favored UT, are now favoring TAMU because they can represent their state AND compete in the SEC.

32 Dive
08-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't think you're giving enough weight to the impact being in the SEC is having on their recruiting. Even though they had more money than God before, they were still always a pretender to Texas. They were a school that had to mostly take the scraps from the Longhorn food table, because UT also has the money, but also the winning tradition, NC's, etc, etc. No amount of money was going to change that for them in the B12. But being the only SEC team in Texas changes that whole dynamic in a huge way, and that's completely because of the way the SEC has dominated cfb for so long now. Elite recruits who in the past would have favored UT, are now favoring TAMU because they can represent their state AND compete in the SEC.

I agree 100%.

On the same coin, It also changes the dynamic of, where the kids of the State of Texas will leave and attend school. (If that made any sense...) It goes for Athletes, and Non-athletes alike. tu, and A&M have over 100,000 students between the two universities. The rest of the kids have to go somewhere.

SheltonChoked
08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Right it all goes in cycles.

And Ole Miss just took a Texaas recruit.

I never said A&M would take over the world, but they are the big boy in texas now.

Highly, HIGHLY doubt this is true. If it is, it is temporary

SheltonChoked
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
The Big12 Money model was the $$ went to the teams on TV.

Kind of a self fullfilling prohesy. Hard to get on TV without players, Hard to get players without being on TV.

Again, most Aggies even now are suprised when Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, or MSU is on TV. Because before it never happened.

Football is big in Texas, but going to college games at Texas and A&M here reminds me of going to MSU and Ole Miss games in the 1980's.

engie
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM
While I agree with you in the desire to invest in baseball, the revenue generation importance of football requires constant reinvestment. It's a tough balance. Im glad I don't have to make that choice...

We need to start a stadium fund for baseball now while the iron is hot. Don't have to build it right now -- but get it out there and start getting the money rounded up.

I think that Stricklin's initial intention was to announce(relatively minor) DNF renovations this year, but our success and the demand from our donors to suddenly "be the jones's" again might have made him shelve his plans in order to fully evaluate our options for basically building a brand new facility.

If we are as good next year as I think we will be, coming off of what happened late last year, there is going to be alot of pressure to build something spectacular. NO ONE will be content with being 5th, going on 6th, in the division...

Will James
08-05-2013, 05:45 PM
I agree to an extent Goat. I think they are definitely a perennial bowl team. That's obvious. But it takes a LOT more than money to compete for championships consistently on the level of Bama LSU and UF in the SEC. I see them as a UGA

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 06:15 PM
The Big12 Money model was the $$ went to the teams on TV.

Kind of a self fullfilling prohesy. Hard to get on TV without players, Hard to get players without being on TV.

Again, most Aggies even now are suprised when Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, or MSU is on TV. Because before it never happened.

Football is big in Texas, but going to college games at Texas and A&M here reminds me of going to MSU and Ole Miss games in the 1980's.

The money model in the Big 12 was Texas gets over 50% of the Big 12's pot. Really. Texas got more than half and the other teams fought over scraps. Every team in that conference was Texas's bitch.

Political Hack
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Can A&M be considered any kind of giant if it doesn't win it's own division? And does anyone here think A&M wins the SEC Western division in the next 2-3 years?

Behrdawg
08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

Not if you are in the SEC. Thats a big enough plus just to gain interest from top talent. Throw in money and resources, you have the recipe to be successful. Have you seen the money they are spending on their stadium expansion/renovation? It's sick.

Money goes a long ways in college football nowadays. Oregon is a picture perfect example.

bobcat91
08-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Can A&M be considered any kind of giant if it doesn't win it's own division? And does anyone here think A&M wins the SEC Western division in the next 2-3 years?

I'll call it. If Manziel is qb this year, they beat Bama and win the SEC West.

engie
08-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Saban gonna make Johnny cry just like he ruined Tebow's senior year...

Political Hack
08-05-2013, 07:46 PM

I'll give you odds on that one.

Will James
08-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Gonna be tough to win the west with a loss to hail dear ol state.