PDA

View Full Version : We have a very important stretch coming up

Coach34
12-16-2015, 02:31 PM
All we can control is what we do

1. We need to land this highly rated WR that's an early entry. We need it badly
2. We need to win the bowl game
3. Use the momentum from 1 and 2 to close strong in Feb with all the big targets still out there

Very important month and a half for the football program to seize some momentum back

Jack Lambert
12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
True very, very true.

gtowndawg
12-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Need some good things to happen for sure.

msstate7
12-16-2015, 02:36 PM
4. We need baseball to be good again bc I'm getting really close to melting

Sam&DeansDawg
12-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Don't give up on basketball. Season is bout to get hot.

bulldawg28
12-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Don't give up on basketball. Season is bout to get hot.

Lol..you must be referring to the women's team.

djaymsu5
12-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Our basketball team will be very very good again, just not this year.

djaymsu5
12-16-2015, 04:51 PM
You recruiting experts say AJ is all dawg? He is a tough one to read!

defiantdog
12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
You recruiting experts say AJ is all dawg? He is a tough one to read!

I know, I've been thinking the same thing. Is he going to beat out Fred Brown and Gray to solidify the #2 spot next year? I think so..... Hell, if Wilson leaves and gets his 6th round selection, he may win out the number one spot.

State82
12-16-2015, 05:07 PM
4. We need baseball to be good again bc I'm getting really close to melting

I'm in the boat with mstate7

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2015, 05:17 PM
I know, I've been thinking the same thing. Is he going to beat out Fred Brown and Gray to solidify the #2 spot next year? I think so..... Hell, if Wilson leaves and gets his 6th round selection, he may win out the number one spot.

AJ will start day 1 at MSU. I'd put my paycheck on it.

dawg27
12-16-2015, 05:17 PM
All we can control is what we do

1. We need to land this highly rated WR that's an early entry. We need it badly
2. We need to win the bowl game
3. Use the momentum from 1 and 2 to close strong in Feb with all the big targets still out there

Very important month and a half for the football program to seize some momentum back
Coach u think without a dought we will get aj ? the big targets still left can we pull them ? Not being negative just dont know why we have none of these guys commited.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Coach u think without a dought we will get aj ? the big targets still left can we pull them ? Not being negative just dont know why we have none of these guys commited.

Ole Miss pulls the #2 recruit in the country out of Dallas, & MSU is having trouble landing a player from Starkville?

defiantdog
12-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Ole Miss pulls the #2 recruit in the country out of Dallas, & MSU is having trouble landing a player from Starkville?
Who ever said we're having trouble? Quit relying on media outputs and relax.

defiantdog
12-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Without a doubt..... My sarcasm is a little rusty today.

djaymsu5
12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
I honestly wish Wilson and Ross would go to the draft this year so we can open up some spots. For sure spots for AJ and Sullivan assuming both sign with state. Both of those guys I think will fill in nicely and it will help show our recruits that we get WR's in the draft in 3 years. Players staying back for their senior year is hurting us some in recruiting IMO cause these guys want to be done in 3. I understand in some cases it helps a player to stay back a year but it seems we do it with all of our guys. JROB is the only one in a while to do it other than Cox.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2015, 05:28 PM
I honestly wish Wilson and Ross would go to the draft this year so we can open up some spots. For sure spots for AJ and Sullivan assuming both sign with state. Both of those guys I think will fill in nicely and it will help show our recruits that we get WR's in the draft in 3 years. Players staying back for their senior year is hurting us some in recruiting IMO cause these guys want to be done in 3. I understand in some cases it helps a player to stay back a year but it seems we do it with all of our guys. JROB is the only one in a while to do it other than Cox.

Disagree.

Also, remember, before you start really wanting Ross & Wilson to leave to open spots, it's more important to win games than it is to win recruiting.

Although, that line is beginning to be blurred, due to the media coverage of recruiting & length of time in which both can be celebrated. Recruiting offers hope & games offer reality.

dawg27
12-16-2015, 05:32 PM

That is my point shotgun i do not understand ole miss had no trouble pulling metcalf, i know his daddy went there or whatever the connection is, fact is has been committed all year . We got two players we really need in our backyard neither has committed.Not saying we want get them but why is it so hard?

Coach34
12-16-2015, 05:33 PM

Over Gray and Brown? He wont simply because Mullen doesnt work that way. He may play more snaps- but its highly doubtful he takes the 1st one

Coach34
12-16-2015, 05:34 PM

AJ is coming to State and will be an outstanding player for us

DudyDawg
12-16-2015, 05:37 PM

You want to lose our two best receivers? That'll make us better

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 05:39 PM

That's a dang good paycheck. It would worth the bet for that amount of money.***

LC Dawg
12-16-2015, 05:39 PM

You may want to go back and look at some all-SEC teams. We had very few guys on them and these guys were two of them. Them coming back does nothing but help our team and especially our new quarterbacks. Recruiting season does some strange things to people.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Over Gray and Brown? He wont simply because Mullen doesnt work that way. He may play more snaps- but its highly doubtful he takes the 1st one

I'll bet my paycheck.

Coach34
12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
we'll see

dawg27
12-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Who ever said we're having trouble? Quit relying on media outputs and relax.

I am not listing to media outputs i am listing to aj saying he has not committed to state, I hope u are right u know somting we dont know. And i am not being negaitive at all just asking.

Coach34
12-16-2015, 05:47 PM
I am not listing to media outputs i am listing to aj saying he has not committed to state, I hope u are right u know somting we dont know. And i am not being negaitive at all just asking.

AJ wants his hat ceremony

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 05:50 PM

He has just started his recruiting process, didn't want to focus on it during the season. Now he will enjoy process over the next few months. Last year it people worrying about holding on to our commitments during the final stretch, now people are worrying over not having kids committed that we are in good shape for.

MSUDeltadawg1971
12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
AJ wants his hat ceremony

This, let him enjoy it. I have heard he will be a dawg as well, if not, he'll be an elephant.

I seen it dawg
12-16-2015, 07:21 PM
It's time to just chill and let the recruiting play out. Can't let every tweet or "commit" announcement make your head spin off. Long time to Feb.

Todd4State
12-16-2015, 07:27 PM

I'm with you on this one. I won't bet a paycheck on it though- just to be clear.

starkvegasdawg
12-16-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm with you on this one. I won't bet a paycheck on it though- just to be clear.

I'll bet your paycheck. I won't bet mine because I don't have a clue.

Todd4State
12-16-2015, 08:08 PM
I'll bet your paycheck. I won't bet mine because I don't have a clue.

Good luck prying my paycheck from my dead cold automatic enrollment account.

djaymsu5
12-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Disagree.

Also, remember, before you start really wanting Ross & Wilson to leave to open spots, it's more important to win games than it is to win recruiting.

Although, that line is beginning to be blurred, due to the media coverage of recruiting & length of time in which both can be celebrated. Recruiting offers hope & games offer reality.

Yes it's about winning games but freshman WR's show out all the time. Heck look how good Bear was as a true freshman and he was raw. AJ will be hard to guard idc if Richard Sherman is guarding him he's gonna be that good. We have to get this trend going to start a system of getting guys to the league early and more will come. I don't think we would hurt as much as you think with Wilson and Ross gone if we would be replacing them with higher rated players than they were. Ross was a 4 star but not as highly rated as AJ and Sullivan. I understand your point but WR IMO is easier to replace than most positions.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:08 AM
You may want to go back and look at some all-SEC teams. We had very few guys on them and these guys were two of them. Them coming back does nothing but help our team and especially our new quarterbacks. Recruiting season does some strange things to people.

You guys are not seeing the bigger picture. We will never have to worry about not getting good receivers again as long as Mullen and Billy G are here. This isn't the old MSU anymore where all we had to brag about was Eric Moulds and a couple more. I'm not going to be complaining if Wilson and Ross stay one bit. I'm just saying it won't hurt us as bad as you think either. We are gonna be very congested next season at WR. A lot of guys will not be getting playing time and I can just tell you a big WR recruit is not going to want to come ride the pine when they can go somewhere else and start. That's all I'm saying. And you all know how Mullen is unless he's forced to he's not going to play a freshman regardless of how good they are. Well if those two were to get drafted he would be forced to. Most people are chalking up 2016 as a rebuilding year anywhere why not get those young guys in here and let them work with their new QB and let Wilson and Ross end on a high note.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:10 AM
I'll bet my paycheck.

If he doesn't Mullen is an idiot. He will be the best WR on our roster from day 1.

HancockCountyDog
12-17-2015, 10:15 AM
If he doesn't Mullen is an idiot. He will be the best WR on our roster from day 1.

Maybe the most talented, but lets remember we will be returning a first team ALL SEC WR that led the league in receiving. I mean, AJ is really freaking good, but lets not sell Fred Ross short.

This is the type of depth it takes to win in the SEC.

starkvegasdawg
12-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Maybe the most talented, but lets remember we will be returning a first team ALL SEC WR that led the league in receiving. I mean, AJ is really freaking good, but lets not sell Fred Ross short.

It's the kind of depth that gives opposing DC's nightmares. If we get these guys in it would be a nightmare matchup...especially if Wilson decides to stay by some miracle. Could you imagine Fitz taking a snap with Wilson and Ross on one side and AJ and Gray on the other in a 4 wide set? Then just for fun swing Dear out of the backfield into a pattern. How would you cover that group going out?

Coach34
12-17-2015, 10:39 AM

no he won't. He may have the most overall talent- but all the experience and little things matter- like reading coverages, blocking, etc. Fred Ross will be that guy for 2016.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm not selling him short. Ross will be Ross but we will all see AJ had the most upside and is more polished at his age than Ross was. But with those two together and Wilson if he stays will be crazy good. Even if Wilson leaves we will be very good.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
no he won't. He may have the most overall talent- but all the experience and little things matter- like reading coverages, blocking, etc. Fred Ross will be that guy for 2016.

Fred's in the slot though! Would we put AJ in the slot? He seems more of a one on one outside guy to me.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
I mean we could move him there once Ross is gone but I want both of those guys on the field at the same time.

msstate7
12-17-2015, 10:46 AM
I mean we could move him there once Ross is gone but I want both of those guys on the field at the same time.

Aj and gray outside
Ross in slot

I think bear is gone

Coach34
12-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Fred's in the slot though! Would we put AJ in the slot? He seems more of a one on one outside guy to me.

You said WR- that includes Slot guys. AJ can play whatever he wants- but is an outside guy for our offense. Hell, Bear is al slot guy in pro football- not outside.

What at people have to realize is that we adjust routes based on coverage and DB position. Football is not just "run this" anymore. For example in the Slot- if a safety breaks up on our square in- our slots are taught to go deep and beat him over the top. If the cushion is there- they square in. Things like that Freshmen have to learn. So unless we have promised AJ he would start in Game 1 to sign him- I don't see it happening.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:48 AM
It's the kind of depth that gives opposing DC's nightmares. If we get these guys in it would be a nightmare matchup...especially if Wilson decides to stay by some miracle. Could you imagine Fitz taking a snap with Wilson and Ross on one side and AJ and Gray on the other in a 4 wide set? Then just for fun swing Dear out of the backfield into a pattern. How would you cover that group going out?

You can't=unstoppable

Coach34
12-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Aj and gray outside
Ross in slot

I think bear is gone

so we are going to kick a 5h year Sr starter in Fred Brown to the 2nd team? **** no we aren't.

Johnson85
12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
For example in the Slot- if a safety breaks up on our square in- our slots are taught to go deep and beat him over the top. If the cushion is there- they square in. Things like that Freshmen have to learn. So unless we have promised AJ he would start in Game 1 to sign him- I don't see it happening.

Are our outside receiver positions that complicated? I thought that was one of the reasons Gray was on the outside this year and Ross was in the slot was that the outside was easier to learn.

I agree with you that AJ won't start, but if Bear leaves, I would have thought he would have a chance of playing the important snaps at one of the outside receiver positions.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:52 AM
You said WR- that includes Slot guys. AJ can play whatever he wants- but is an outside guy for our offense. Hell, Bear is al slot guy in pro football- not outside.

What at people have to realize is that we adjust routes based on coverage and DB position. Football is not just "run this" anymore. For example in the Slot- if a safety breaks up on our square in- our slots are taught to go deep and beat him over the top. If the cushion is there- they square in. Things like that Freshmen have to learn. So unless we have promised AJ he would start in Game 1 to sign him- I don't see it happening.

I gotcha. I understand he's going to have to go through that freshman learning curve but I think he will catch on quick. He's a smart kid and honestly as bad as I hate to say it reminds me a lot of treadwell. If he's anywhere near that good he's going to be breaking some records.

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Plus all of the tight ends we will have.

Coach34
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Are our outside receiver positions that complicated? I thought that was one of the reasons Gray was on the outside this year and Ross was in the slot was that the outside was easier to learn.

I agree with you that AJ won't start, but if Bear leaves, I would have thought he would have a chance of playing the important snaps at one of the outside receiver positions.

Yes- we make reads on he outside as well. That's why it took half a season for Gray to get on the field. Gray was always going to be an outside guy.

AJ will play from Day 1 and be in the rotation- but start? No. Only way is if he is promised that to sign

bulldawg28
12-17-2015, 10:58 AM
You can't=unstoppable

Yes you can...It's called pressure! Sorry to interrupt the conversation.

*Back to your regular scheduled debate*

djaymsu5
12-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Yes you can...It's called pressure! Sorry to interrupt the conversation.

*Back to your regular scheduled debate*

And then Fitz will take 10 easy ones on you and walk out of bounds.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2015, 11:19 AM
If Bear stays, which is looking more & more favorable, my statement has to have an asterisk besides it. Even though I won't totally back off of it. If Bear leaves I again put my whole paycheck on AJ starting Day 1.

msstate7
12-17-2015, 11:25 AM
If Bear stays, which is looking more & more favorable, my statement has to have an asterisk besides it. Even though I won't totally back off of it. If Bear leaves I again put my whole paycheck on AJ starting Day 1.

If bear stays we may be better offensively next... Better supporting cast for qb to work with. Just gotta get better at dline and CB... Simmons and knott would be huge

bulldawg28
12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
And then Fitz will take 10 easy ones on you and walk out of bounds.

??? He's not Manziel sir. He's athletic and gifted but pump your brakes.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
If bear stays we may be better offensively next... Better supporting cast for qb to work with. Just gotta get better at dline and CB... Simmons and knott would be huge

I want Knott bad but he's not contributing next year IMO. He's not an instant impact guy like AJ or Jeffery. He needs some weight, technique, & time. He's just so much more athletic than 99% of HS kids so his flaws don't show up as much.

msstate7
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
My worry for fitz is can he move the chains on 3rd and short. He's a talented runner, but not sure he can lower his head and move the pile

bulldawg28
12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
My worry for fitz is can he move the chains on 3rd and short. He's a talented runner, but not sure he can lower his head and move the pile

I hope they don't ask him to. Hopefully the zone read will come back with him going outside instead of inside. He's faster than Dak and could destroy teams out running DE's and Lb's to the corner.

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Per listening to Bumphis I don't think there is any doubt that our slot receiver position is the most complicated to learn with lots of route adjustments based on coverages. Not saying the outside spots are easy by any means but they are easier positions to learn than the slot.

Johnson85
12-17-2015, 11:56 AM

He's still 225. Obviously a little taller and skinnier than Dak, but I think he'll be able to move the pile as much as Dak can.

But I'm only worried about whether our OLine is going to suck. If they suck, Fitz won't be able to run regardless and I seriously doubt he's going to be able to lead a pass first attack like Dak did this year and be effective.

If our OLine doesn't suck, I think we'll be enough of a threat to run that with our wide receivers and Fitz's ability to throw a deep ball, we'll be effective.

maroonmania
12-17-2015, 11:59 AM

We are going to be talented at most all the skill positions next year offensively with or without Bear but certainly moreso with him. But we still won't be better without significant improvement in the OL. That will be the key. We have to be able to establish some running game next year because Fitz is not going to have the offense down to sling it every play in the same way Dak did this year. And even with Dak we couldn't do much against elite defensive lines (like AL and OM) without any running game at all. Its just so frustrating that we seemingly can't get in on ANY elite HS OL recruits while OM is having no such trouble.

bulldawg28
12-17-2015, 12:55 PM
X