PDA

View Full Version : Maroon and White Nation Article

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Just reading the article about replacing Hughes, as it popped up on my phone. I don't know if the writer happens to look at this board, but if so please note that your article is false in the sense that Brewster did NOT land Fred Ross. Keonning was the coach that worked on that commitment the most, by far. In fact if you want to get technical about it Brewster about the only thing he did help was retool a good bit of our recruiting playbook so to speak but he didn't reel in anybody of elite caliber, Wilson was a great find though. Got us close on some great players, even thought he landed one or two, but they went elsewhere. I hate how that perception of Brewster landing Ross keeps popping up no matter how many times, even on signing day, people let it be known that he shouldn't get the credit for that. He was not the main recruiter. Keonning worked his butt off and of course we had the in with family here already. I know it's not an article that is going to the masses out side of our fanbase for the most part and obviously from the discussion on here a few days ago the general fan still thinks that was all Brewster, just irritating that it wasn't researched a little better.

ETA. Brewster also put us in a really bad position when he left as well with several commitments. Which we never signed and created recruiting drama that didn't help us either and add to the Mullen is a bad recruiter perception.

Dallas_Dawg
12-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Brewster landed Derunnya Wilson did he not?

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Brewster landed Derunnya Wilson did he not?

Sorry I'll edit, he didn't reel in any of the elite recruits like the article insinuated.

maroonmania
12-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry I'll edit, he didn't reel in any of the elite recruits like the article insinuated.

Granted Bear was not an elite recruit but I would categorize him as an elite player.

Big4Dawg
12-16-2015, 10:00 AM
He did land us Gray also.

Man, that 2013 class was BAD.

Contributed:
Chris Jones
Wilson
Shumpert
Ross
Cox
Myles
Clayborn
Coman
Cleveland
Williams

Quit/Transferred:
Thomas
Irvin-Sills
Christy
Hammond
Wells
Shappelle
Flowers
Simpson
Samuel

That's a lot of players who quit/transferred.

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Granted Bear was not an elite recruit but I would categorize him as an elite player.

Sure. I agree with that. Good job finding someone very raw that we developed after he got here. Many were surprised how quickly he was able to get reps that first fall. All of that happened after Brewster left though. And Brewster still didn't get us a player of high ranking in his short time here. He is an elite recruiter, at FSU and at Texas. He got us in the game with several guys but didn't close the deal and left us in a tough spot with those younger commits. And he did not land Ross. As the position coach he helped but Keonning did the heavy lifting. That was Keonnings area as well.

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah and Gray was a 4 star on 247 but a mid 3 composite. So that is debatable although I thought he was borderline elite player because of his speed and ability. Hope he really breaks out next year.

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-16-2015, 10:23 AM
With all due respect to everyone here, Brewster was not an elite recruiter for us. He finished the job that Angelo started with Gray for the most part. And I for one am glad we didn't hold on to any of those team USA kids. There will be three I think that will have a decent college career, Johnson, Patterson, and Simmons

Really Clark?
12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
With all due respect to everyone here, Brewster was not an elite recruiter for us. He finished the job that Angelo started with Gray for the most part. And I for one am glad we didn't hold on to any of those team USA kids. There will be three I think that will have a decent college career, Johnson, Patterson, and Simmons

True on Gray. And to be honest if he had the grades we very well may not have gotten Gray. But once we stuck by him he was very loyal to sticking with us. Hughes and Gonzales maintained the relationship while he was in JUCO.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2015, 10:31 AM
He did land us Gray also.

Man, that 2013 class was BAD.

Contributed:
Chris Jones
Wilson
Shumpert
Ross
Cox
Myles
Clayborn
Coman
Cleveland
Williams

Quit/Transferred:
Thomas
Irvin-Sills
Christy
Hammond
Wells
Shappelle
Flowers
Simpson
Samuel

That's a lot of players who quit/transferred.

I think you'd find that this if fairly average. There are lots of hits & misses in recruiting.