PDA

View Full Version : OL Issues

defiantdog
12-14-2015, 11:33 PM
I think it's great that we're close to pulling Sullivan and a few other guys, but our OL is not good. Malone, Story, Calhoun, Cochran, who ever..... They have to get it together. It's going to be a long year with a new qb unless we figure something out. Rankin, Senior and Jenkins look to be picking it up. But the guards are struggling. Our DL is good, but the interior OL makes them look like an all pro NFL team. I really wish they'd move Williams to center. Moon at center is like putting a square peg in a round hole.

engie
12-14-2015, 11:53 PM
You're right. And there is nothing immediate impact about anything we are after, not that there is really any such thing in OL recruiting, particularly ours.

I think we're going to be OK as we get the guys from last year's class up to speed. Most were higher/better offer guys than we had previously been getting, even if still not great. But I'm sick of this being a questionmark every year anyway. I thought surely we'd be fine this year given 4 guys with starting experience, etc... But I was wrong.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 04:24 AM
I'd move Senior to guard and agree about Williams at center.

LT- Rankin
LG- Calhoun
C- Clayborn
RG- Senior
RT- Jenkins

That is what we should do next year.

deltadawg99
12-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Desper needs to be done. He's not an SEC OL. Clayborn has his moments.

I'd go with
Rankin
Calhoun
Clayborn
Jenkins
Senior

Senior is serviceable and has experience at RT. There is no way that Jenkins isn't better that Desper. Got to get out top 5 out there

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I can't see Senior's body type at guard. He's top heavy & his legs look like twigs.. shaped like a snow cone. I can't imagine him getting off the ball & getting much drive inside.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 10:34 AM
I'd move Senior to guard and agree about Williams at center.

LT- Rankin
LG- Calhoun
C- Clayborn
RG- Senior
RT- Jenkins

That is what we should do next year.

I've seen you post this a couple of times and you need to quit. Senior can not play Guard.

Taog Redloh
12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
A year of maturity makes a world of difference with linemen.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Desper needs to be done. He's not an SEC OL. Clayborn has his moments.

I'd go with
Rankin
Calhoun
Clayborn
Jenkins
Senior

Senior is serviceable and has experience at RT. There is no way that Jenkins isn't better that Desper. Got to get out top 5 out there

I actually think that's our best 5 right there. Don't know if Hev can move Jenkins to guard though. He's a little slow figuring those things out and he likes to have a swing tackle.

Taog Redloh
12-15-2015, 10:41 AM
I've seen you post this a couple of times and you need to quit. Senior can not play Guard.
He does it in baseball too, just makes up random position changes.

engie
12-15-2015, 10:47 AM

From year 1 to year 2 and year 2 to year 3, sure. After they take the field as RSSO, that's basically who they are going to be with rare exception. We need to be cutting bait and adding more players at that point rather than keeping around career back ups at 4th and 5th year guys. They may get better at recognition and miss fewer assignments, but they are prettymuch at their talent ceiling for us at that point. Hence why people are advocating Calhoun/Jenkins over Desper right now. They were 2nd year players and it's fair to expect a significant improvement for them next year IMO.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2015, 10:48 AM
In the middle of our major OL issues in the Alabama and OM games and when Rufus was out, we moved Desper to LG, Malone to LT, and put Calhoun in at RG. Did that on a couple of drives and found some success too. I think that has to be the blueprint for next year except with Rankin at LT. I thought Clayborn did fine at center and I can't really remember any snap issues from him. Thought he did pretty well there.

I think we move Jenkins to RT and have him and Senior battle it out. Worst case scenario is Senior wins the job while Jenkins gets some back up reps and gets to grow and watch another year. I don't like Desper, but I'm not sure who else plays guard over him from a talent perspective, and because we know Desper is going to start at least the first half of the season because he is a senior.

Jack Lambert
12-15-2015, 11:02 AM
I think it's great that we're close to pulling Sullivan and a few other guys, but our OL is not good. Malone, Story, Calhoun, Cochran, who ever..... They have to get it together. It's going to be a long year with a new qb unless we figure something out. Rankin, Senior and Jenkins look to be picking it up. But the guards are struggling. Our DL is good, but the interior OL makes them look like an all pro NFL team. I really wish they'd move Williams to center. Moon at center is like putting a square peg in a round hole.

I don't like saying names because their dads or other close family members might be reading and I know how I would feel but I watched the Troy game the other night and our guards are horrible. When they pull the guards, they look lost like they don't know who to block.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 11:11 AM

Why does it seem to be a recurring them now that our staff seems to have trouble getting guys into playing the positions they would be most effective? There are always various opinions on everything but some of these things like the best position for a player I would think should be pretty obvious to someone who has spent most of their life working in and around football.

starkvegasdawg
12-15-2015, 11:13 AM
I really miss the Pork Chop Womack days. I still remember one bowl game the cameras caught him motioning to run the ball his direction. He had something like 75-100lbs on the guy in front of him and it wasn't even a contest. Even the announcers were laughing about it. He could have worked at IHOP that game because he was definitely making pancakes and a lot of them.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Let me add this on Jenkins - the most he played all season was in the egg bowl, and he was awful. I know he is just a RS freshman, but I don't see him beating Senior out at RT.

My guess right now is that the starting OL in the first game will be :

RT - Senior
RG - Desper
C - Clayborn
LG - Calhoun
LT - Rankin

First OT off the bench will be Jenkins, Im not sure who the first OG off the bench will be a complete unknown. Either Darryl Williams, Ronald Cochran, or Harrison Moon. Not great.

I hate where our OL is right now, and I don't like the fact that three of the starters will be seniors, and Im not crazy about the guys behind them. We really need a complete transfusion of talent at this position.

Compare that to our WR that is about to add Sullivan and AJ, and has solid talent coming back. It just pisses me off where we have let the OL get to this point, because as we all know, its the hardest position to rebuild.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Let me add this on Jenkins - the most he played all season was in the egg bowl, and he was awful. I know he is just a RS freshman, but I don't see him beating Senior out at RT.

RT - Senior
RG - Desper
C - Clayborn
LG - Calhoun
LT - Rankin

First OT off the bench will be Jenkins, Im not sure who the first OG off the bench will be a complete unknown. Either Darryl Williams, Ronald Cochran, or Harrison Moon. Not great.

I hate where our OL is right now, and I don't like the fact that three of the starters will be seniors, and Im not crazy about the guys behind them. We really need a complete transfusion of talent at this position.

Compare that to our WR that is about to add Sullivan and AJ, and has solid talent coming back. It just pisses me off where we have let the OL get to this point, because as we all know, its the hardest position to rebuild.

This OL class is huge for our projection of the future. Lashley, Allen contacting our staff apparently to take a visit, not sure how we feel about Eiland but he's a big boy. But if we managed to get Lashley and Allen, that would change my opinion going forward. That would give us to legit SEC OL. If we can develop one or two more current freshmen or sophomores, we could have a really good OL in two or three years.

In two or three years, if we can land a big class this year, we could be serious contenders. Solid QB, stable of RBs, tons of WRs, legit LBs, legit safeties, good young group of DL. Figure out CB and OL and I don't see any holes in 2 or 3 years.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Every OL we started this year had been in the program a minimum of 3 years. That's why its so hard to believe we were as bad as we were. Yes, starting experience helps but you can either play or you can't. I'm concerned we've just got too many guys that aren't really SEC OL no matter how long they stay in the program.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 11:23 AM

RT - Senior
RG - Desper
C - Clayborn
LG - Calhoun
LT - Rankin

We had a quality Juco OG in this state, but waited until 2 weeks ago to offer him and we couldn't flip him from Minnesota.

Taog Redloh
12-15-2015, 11:23 AM

RT - Senior
RG - Desper
C - Clayborn
LG - Calhoun
LT - Rankin

Where's that Jocquell Johnson dude? Has he been a complete bust?

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 11:28 AM
This OL class is huge for our projection of the future. Lashley, Allen contacting our staff apparently to take a visit, not sure how we feel about Eiland but he's a big boy. But if we managed to get Lashley and Allen, that would change my opinion going forward. That would give us to legit SEC OL. If we can develop one or two more current freshmen or sophomores, we could have a really good OL in two or three years.

In two or three years, if we can land a big class this year, we could be serious contenders. Solid QB, stable of RBs, tons of WRs, legit LBs, legit safeties, good young group of DL. Figure out CB and OL and I don't see any holes in 2 or 3 years.

We need Jenkins and Calhoun to pan out. Lets remember Blaine Clausell played almost ever snap at LT as a RS freshman, Jenkins barely played and when he did, he was just abused. We need to see Jenkins push Senior for playing time, because Senior is adequate at best. Next year will be year 3 for Jenkins in the program, which I agree with the poster above, you pretty much are who you are at that point.

We will get Lashley, but as others have said, he is a bit of a project - but will definitely challenge for the OT spot in 2017 out of pure necessity. We really needed a JUCO OT this year and it looks like we are missing out, same with a JUCO OG.

Eiland and Parker are projects. I like Allen, but his stock is dropping for a reason - he is playing in an all star game, I'll be interested to see how he does, if he gets abused I don't want to have a Damien Robinson situation where we take a guy that is highly rated, but not worth a shit. I'd rather go get a Dillon Day that will get after it.

Talking about our OL is the only thing that makes me want to post about basketball.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 11:29 AM

Yes. Remember he was a plan B guy when we lost a juco OL to USM because of a girlfriend.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 11:34 AM
From year 1 to year 2 and year 2 to year 3, sure. After they take the field as RSSO, that's basically who they are going to be with rare exception.

I don't think the exceptions are that rare. Depends on what type of players you sign, but there's still a lot of improvement to be made for linemen at the beginning of their RSSO year. A player that spends a year fattening up and a year sitting the bench or getting mop up duty can be mediocre at the beginning of their RSSO year and prettty good by the start of their RSJr year. But for players that don't have to fill out their body and who get some reps in their second year in the program, I agree, you more or less know what you have early in their third season on campus, whether it's true junior or RS sophomore year.

I don't know of anybody we have that we can expect to make a big jump next year other than Jenkins, Calhoun, and hopefully some players we redshirted.

I'm not even believing the Rankin has "flipped a switch" story. Just can't believe he'd be that close and not end up on the field as bad as our Oline play was. A better than serviceable LT could have flipped the LSU and A&M game and maybe made a difference in the Egg.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Every OL we started this year had been in the program a minimum of 3 years. That's why its so hard to believe we were as bad as we were. Yes, starting experience helps but you can either play or you can't. I'm concerned we've just got too many guys that aren't really SEC OL no matter how long they stay in the program.

Here is the OL roster after the bowl game -

58 Justin Senior OL 6-5 295 2L Jr. Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Hargrave [VA] Military Academy)
60 Jamaal Clayborn OL 6-4 315 2L Jr. Jackson, MS (Jackson Academy)
61 Deion Calhoun OL 6-3 303 RS Fr. Pleasant Grove, AL (Restoration Academy)
62 Devon Desper OL 6-4 305 2L Jr. Madison, MS (Madison Central HS)
64 Jocquell Johnson OL 6-4 300 SQ Jr. Jackson, MS (Copiah-Lincoln [MS] CC)
67 Michael Story OL 6-4 305 HS Fr. Ripley, MS (Ripley HS)
69 Darryl Williams OL 6-2 305 HS Fr. Bessemer, AL (Bessemer City HS)
72 Ronald Cochran OL 6-4 308 RS Fr. Olive Branch, MS (Olive Branch HS)
74 Elgton Jenkins OL 6-4 304 RS Fr. Clarksdale, MS (Clarksdale HS)
75 Harrison Moon OL 6-4 281 HS Fr. Chattanooga, TN (Signal Mountain HS)
76 Jake Thomas OL 6-5 320 1L So. Columbus, MS (Columbus HS)

How many of these guys had SEC offers?

Also, where are the freaking juniors next year? Just bizarre to see a roster next year that will have 4 seniors, 2 juniors (Rankin and Thomas, so really 1.5 juniors), 3 sophomores (Calhoun, Jenkins, Cochran), 3 RS Frosh (Story, Williams, Moon); Did we really only sign 3 HS OL last year? After only signing 3 the year before?

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't think the exceptions are that rare. Depends on what type of players you sign, but there's still a lot of improvement to be made for linemen at the beginning of their RSSO year. A player that spends a year fattening up and a year sitting the bench or getting mop up duty can be mediocre at the beginning of their RSSO year and prettty good by the start of their RSJr year. But for players that don't have to fill out their body and who get some reps in their second year in the program, I agree, you more or less know what you have early in their third season on campus, whether it's true junior or RS sophomore year.

I don't know of anybody we have that we can expect to make a big jump next year other than Jenkins, Calhoun, and hopefully some players we redshirted.

I'm not even believing the Rankin has "flipped a switch" story. Just can't believe he'd be that close and not end up on the field as bad as our Oline play was. A better than serviceable LT could have flipped the LSU and A&M game and maybe made a difference in the Egg.

If we sat a guy that by mid season was better than Warren, then heads should roll. A competent LT could have made a difference in the egg bowl. That is why I just don't believe it. Rankin could still be good, but he wouldn't be the first JUCO OL to be overrated.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2015, 11:44 AM

58 Justin Senior OL 6-5 295 2L Jr. Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Hargrave [VA] Military Academy)

Also, where are the freaking juniors next year? Just bizarre to see a roster next year that will have 4 seniors, 2 juniors (Rankin and Thomas, so really 1.5 juniors), 3 sophomores (Calhoun, Jenkins, Cochran), 3 RS Frosh (Story, Williams, Moon); Did we really only sign 3 HS OL last year? After only signing 3 the year before?

Wow. Just looking at that scares me. This is the position we most have to go away from project and development to impact and physically ready to compete. To me that's the biggest problem we have. 4 and 5 star OL either have bodies ready to play or do one thing really really good/do a lot of things pretty good and have usually proven it against legitimate competition. We don't need to wait 3 or 4 years for a guy to make an impact. We need guys that are physically ready to compete within the first two years.

Part of that deals with getting guys that don't have to adjust to the game speed of the SEC as much. How many of our guys do you think saw elite or above average DL competition in high school? Maybe 1 or 2? That's a huge negative and I think part of the reason we take so long to develop OL. They just don't see a ton of good DL. The guys we need to get should be tested against better DL competition. It's hard to do, but it's what we have to do to bring good OL in here.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Not many if any. Guess we fans probably fell into the trap of thinking with enough time we could turn coal into diamonds along the OL if given long enough because of guys like Day, Beckwith and Clausell who became SEC quality linemen even though they were not wanted by anyone else. I'm concerned that those guys may have been more just dumb luck of the draw than the fact that we can develop any OL to be SEC serviceable given longevity in the program.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Not many if any. Guess we fans probably fell into the trap of thinking with enough time we could turn coal into diamonds along the OL if given long enough because of guys like Day, Beckwith and Clausell who became SEC quality linemen even though they were not wanted by anyone else. I'm concerned that those guys may have been more just dumb luck of the draw than the fact that we can develop any OL to be SEC serviceable given longevity in the program.

Its also important to point out that the 2014 OL was really only good in 2014. To say there were growing pains in 2012 and 2013 would be a massive understatement.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Its also important to point out that the 2014 OL was really only good in 2014. To say there were growing pains in 2012 and 2013 would be a massive understatement.

I agree with that point in general, but even in 2012 and 2013 we could run the ball some. No we couldn't run against the Alabamas of the world but we could run against a lot of foks. This year we couldn't even run against teams like USM and Troy using basic run plays. This is the first year under Mullen I remember it being this bad for run blocking along the OL.

defiantdog
12-15-2015, 12:16 PM
He'll be backing up Rankin at LT next year

NCDawg
12-15-2015, 12:19 PM
There is a possibility that the reason we aren't getting good offensive linemen is because the recruits may not care for the offensive line coach's personality. Also, it is possible that the OL coach may be better suited for another position in State's football hierarchy. I understand that in view of the OL coach's relationship with the HC, he must stay on board in some capacity.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Legitimate COMBINED SEC offers from that group: 2. That's 11 players, 2 other SEC offers.

Big4Dawg
12-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Legitimate COMBINED SEC offers from that group: 2. That's 11 players, 2 other SEC offers.

Idk if you counted Jake Thomas but I think he quit football.

Big4Dawg
12-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Williams had offers from Auburn and Kentucky, along with FSU, Cinny, UL.

The rest of them....not so much.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 12:31 PM

If that offer from AU was legit, he would have signed with AU. But let's give it to him. With Jake Thomas off the team. That's one offer for Desper from OM and one offer for Williams from AU.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Who had the legit 2 offers? Rankin?

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Isn't Williams the guy who said he would flip if he got an AU offer? I know one of our commits said this in an interview, I thought it was him.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Rankin down the stretch didn't have any other SEC offers. That wasn't publicized because it would be silly to do so.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 12:58 PM

He can't play tackle either. And he is better than Desper.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 01:01 PM

I'll put it another way, the only recruiting battle we have actually won on the offensive line is Rankin. And to a lesser extent Desper who may have had a legit Ole Miss offer for a while.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Yes. Remember he was a plan B guy when we lost a juco OL to USM because of a girlfriend.

It's pretty sad that Hevesy got out recruited by someone's girlfriend.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 01:03 PM
There is a possibility that the reason we aren't getting good offensive linemen is because the recruits may not care for the offensive line coach's personality. Also, it is possible that the OL coach may be better suited for another position in State's football hierarchy. I understand that in view of the OL coach's relationship with the HC, he must stay on board in some capacity.

If he isn't fired or demoted I'm going to be pissed.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 01:03 PM
I'll put it another way, the only recruiting battle we have actually won on the offensive line is Rankin. And to a lesser extent Desper who may have had a legit Ole Miss offer for a while.

So far on our commit list, we have"won" similar battles. Lashley will be a recruiting win and if we grab Allen, that will be a win, I think. We still need a JUCO OL that can fit somewhere.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2015, 01:05 PM

He actually wasn't a Plan B guy. We signed and placed Joc Johnson. Coach34 thought he was going to be a stud for us.

It's true we lost Norman Price to USM b/c of a girlfriend and Price started all year for USM. He probably would have started at OG for us this year. I think he played Tackle for the Buzzards.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 01:21 PM
He actually wasn't a Plan B guy. We signed and placed Joc Johnson.

I didn't think we offered him until after Price went to USM.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
It's pretty sad that Hevesy got out recruited by someone's girlfriend.

Father Time and pu$$y are pretty much undefeated.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Prepare to be pissed.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Prepare to be pissed.

I would have been more surprised if he was demoted. Hevesy is ultimately going to undo Dan.

HSVDawg
12-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Is Flowers still supposed to be back with the team next month? If so, he could be a big factor in the guard rotation.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Is Flowers still supposed to be back with the team next month? If so, he could be a big factor in the guard rotation.

He's not coming back. No idea where he will end up.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 02:15 PM
He's not coming back. No idea where he will end up.

His decision or ours?

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
His decision or ours?

Depends on how you look at it. It was Flowers decision to not do the classwork and get himself into this position.

FanninDawg
12-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Has anyone heard about Malone coming back with a medical redshirt? he only played part of one game the OkSt fiasco year.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Depends on how you look at it. It was Flowers decision to not do the classwork and get himself into this position.

I had read that he was behind in the work he had to do, I didn't realize he had put himself in a position where he wasn't going to make it back to campus period.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Has anyone heard about Malone coming back with a medical redshirt? he only played part of one game the OkSt fiasco year.

Looks like Malone used his redshirt his freshman year for a non-injury related reason. My understanding is that he is therefore not eligible for a medical redshirt.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Looks like Malone used his redshirt his freshman year for a non-injury related reason. My understanding is that he is therefore not eligible for a medical redshirt.

Malone could ask for a medical RS & 99% chance he'd get it. The decision is up to him on rather he wants to come back or not. He hasn't decided.

FanninDawg
12-15-2015, 04:06 PM
i think Justin can qualify for a medical redshirt if he chooses to...
Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

I stand corrected, the 5 year clock still applies apparently.

Johnson85
12-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Malone could ask for a medical RS & 99% chance he'd get it. The decision is up to him on rather he wants to come back or not. He hasn't decided.

Well I don't know what the rule is. I used to think a medical redshirt was open to anybody that missed a season, and then somebody on here convinced me I was wrong and that in order to get a sixth year of eligiblity because of an injury, there had to be two seasons lost to injuries, so if you RS your freshman year and then are injured your senior year (5th year), you're SOL, but if you're injured your freshmen year, adn then injured your senior year (5th year), you are eligible for another RS year.

So can you get a 6th year of eligibility with one true redshirt and one medical redshirt?

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 04:14 PM

He went through senior day ceremonies I believe. FWIW.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2015, 04:17 PM
He went through senior day ceremonies I believe. FWIW.

He did but so did Marcus Green & he came back for his 6th year. Earlier in the year he was leaning to not coming back but lately he's seem to be more open to the idea.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 04:30 PM
He did but so did Marcus Green & he came back for his 6th year. Earlier in the year he was leaning to not coming back but lately he's seem to be more open to the idea.

I think Marcus was only here five years. 2007-2011;

Here is what wiki says:

On rare occasions, players may be allowed to play in their sixth year of college?if they suffered a serious injury that kept them from playing for more than one season. Former Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Jason White is perhaps the best known example of this, as he had redshirted his freshman year, then subsequently tore the ACL in both knees, causing him to miss nearly two years of eligible playing time.

It's been my understanding that you have to lose more than one season to injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2015, 04:47 PM
I think Marcus was only here five years. 2007-2011;

Here is what wiki says:

On rare occasions, players may be allowed to play in their sixth year of college?if they suffered a serious injury that kept them from playing for more than one season. Former Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Jason White is perhaps the best known example of this, as he had redshirted his freshman year, then subsequently tore the ACL in both knees, causing him to miss nearly two years of eligible playing time.

It's been my understanding that you have to lose more than one season to injury.

Marcus played the 2012 season as a 6th year Sr. The coaching staff seems pretty confident that he'd get a 6th year but who knows if he wants it. Did Damien Robinson miss 2yrs of playing time to be able to get his 6th year?

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Marcus played the 2012 season as a 6th year Sr. The coaching staff seems pretty confident that he'd get a 6th year but who knows if he wants it. Did Damien Robinson miss 2yrs of playing time to be able to get his 6th year?

He did get the 6th year, but because he missed two seasons with injury

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1087880

Yeah, but he was injured in 2008 and 2010 - that is how he got the 6th year. Justin just lost the 2011 season.

ETA: Here is the NCAA compliance on it - Unless we are going to retroactvely say he was injured his freshman year, I think he is done:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-3-five-year-clock-ext.pdf

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2015, 05:15 PM
He did get the 6th year, but because he missed two seasons with injury

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1087880

Yeah, but he was injured in 2008 and 2010 - that is how he got the 6th year. Justin just lost the 2011 season.

ETA: Here is the NCAA compliance on it - Unless we are going to retroactvely say he was injured his freshman year, I think he is done:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-3-five-year-clock-ext.pdf

He may be. Do you remember if Damien Robinson missed 2 seasons due to injury to get his 6th year?

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2015, 05:26 PM
He may be. Do you remember if Damien Robinson missed 2 seasons due to injury to get his 6th year?

I know he missed one, Im assuming we went back and said Damien missed his first year due to an "injury". Not sure it benefited us. I would think that is the only way he gets a sixth year.

maroonmania
12-15-2015, 06:11 PM
I know he missed one, Im assuming we went back and said Damien missed his first year due to an "injury". Not sure it benefited us. I would think that is the only way he gets a sixth year.

Seems like the epitome of a stupid rule but I know its the NCAA we are talking about here. Whether you missed the extra year of playing because of injury or you missed that year because you are purposely redshirting you STILL missed the year. Every player ought to get the opportunity to play 4 years with the extra 6th year if they want it if it was an injury that prevented them playing their final year. Now a lot of guys will not want to remain a student that long but they ought to have the option if they want it. Seems sort of stupid that if you voluntarily redshirt as a true freshman that you can't ever get another year back if you get injured in the first couple of games of some other season. Now if they want to say you have 5 to play 4 with NO EXCEPTIONS then that is fair too but splitting hairs over 2 injured years versus an injured year and a redshirt seems stupid and very unfair.

Coach34
12-15-2015, 06:39 PM
He actually wasn't a Plan B guy. We signed and placed Joc Johnson. Coach34 thought he was going to be a stud for us.

link???

HSVDawg
12-15-2015, 07:08 PM

That's not exactly an answer. If he's done the work in JUCO to get eligible again and he's still not welcome back, that tells me he got processed. I'd like to hear from all the "in the know" folks on this one who said him leaving was no big deal because he'd be back in January. He was by far the most highly rated OL recruit in that entire signing class, so to lose him permanently would be pretty disappointing.

War Machine Dawg
12-15-2015, 08:30 PM

If he comes back, he needs to start at OT. I'd go:

LT: Rankin
LG: Calhoun
C: Clayborn
RG: Jenkins
RT: Malone

You could flip Malone & Rankin. I'd prefer Clayborn at G, but we don't have another C unless we move Desper back.

I seen it dawg
12-15-2015, 08:32 PM

Guys shit ain't changing. Get over it and move on. The horse is dead as hell.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 09:09 PM
That's not exactly an answer. If he's done the work in JUCO to get eligible again and he's still not welcome back, that tells me he got processed. I'd like to hear from all the "in the know" folks on this one who said him leaving was no big deal because he'd be back in January. He was by far the most highly rated OL recruit in that entire signing class, so to lose him permanently would be pretty disappointing.

My answer was a little vague. If Flowers had done the classwork and not had to go to JUCO, my guess is more than likely he would still be on the team.

Todd4State
12-15-2015, 09:11 PM

I understand- but it's frustrating to me to see someone holding us back so badly and basically because of the Yankee version of the GOB system. It's why I wish the NCAA would allow for more assistant football coaches- that way a McCorvey or a Hevesy could be the "assistant head coach" and not have to hold us back.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
12-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Malone is not coming back. He wants to get his shot at the NFL and then move onto his business career. Really smart guy but he is 100% not coming back.

NCDawg
12-16-2015, 02:01 AM

Regrettably, I think you are correct, and we will continue to be dominated by Alabama and Ole Miss DL.