PDA

View Full Version : If IJ Ready sux as bad as most seem to think...

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 03:50 PM
then why does BH continue to play him as much as he does? I'm thinking he(IJ) is doing what coach thinks he should do or he wouldn't be playing as much as he is. For the record, I do think his on ball defense leaves a lot to be desired which I don't understand from someone as quick as he is.
But, I'm not going to question the number of shots he takes because if that wasn't what coach expected of him he would be sitting.

thf24
12-14-2015, 03:57 PM
He's obviously playing as much as he does because Howland believes he the best option, but in my opinion the reasons are 1.) Malik is limited in his movement as long as he's got that steel plate in his shoe and is still learning the PG position, and 2.) as good as Q has looked, he's also still learning and isn't a PG anyway. In other words, IJ is getting the minutes he is out of necessity. I wouldn't have a huge problem with IJ though if he'd sometimes look to set up key shots late in games instead of taking them all. He's weak on D, but he's far from the only one.

mparkerfd20
12-14-2015, 04:16 PM
....) Malik is limited in his movement as long as he's got that steel plate in his shoe and is still learning the PG position....

How much longer are we going to make excuses for Malik? I want to know so I can get on board, because frankly I'm sick of the excuses already.

Thick
12-14-2015, 04:24 PM
I think everyone's forgetting that Malik is learning to play PG in the SEC. He's a 1/2 combo, but most of all, he's a scorer. We need him to score more then anything. IJ would be fine, if he would play within himself, and not try to force things when they are not there.

MarketingBully
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
My biggest complaint with IJ is that he is not playing how we need him to be. He needs to just distribute the ball when he is out there. We don't need him to jack up shots to jack up shots. 15 shots is way too many and we won't win many games at all if he is the guy taking that many shots. We need him to drive and kick out to Q, Malik, or Sword, get the ball to Ware, or set up behind the three point line when Malik or Sword drive and dish out to him for a wide open shot. Ready singlehandedly lost the Southern and UKMC games ball hogging it at the end. I want the McDonakd's All American/lottery pick taking game winning shots not a sub 3 star point guard.

QuadrupleOption
12-14-2015, 04:46 PM
How much longer are we going to make excuses for Malik? I want to know so I can get on board, because frankly I'm sick of the excuses already.

From a point production value he's not been too bad:
6, 15, 17, 14, 5, 9, 18

He's been a little hit and miss but he's a freshman. I can't speak to the rest of his game as a PG but I'd say he's been pretty productive scoring.

thf24
12-14-2015, 04:46 PM

If one your feet is restricted to remaining flat at all times, you can't run at full speed, you can't jump as high nor as quickly, and you can't cut on that foot. It is literally restricting him from using his athleticism. If it were simply playing through a painful lingering injury it would be a different story, but there is a physical barrier preventing him from using all of his tools. Granted we've heard a few times that he's "finally healthy" the past few weeks, and for all I know, the plate may already be out and he's not as advertised. But there's been no confirmation of that, and as long as he has to play with it, he gets a pass.

maroonmania
12-14-2015, 04:54 PM
If one your feet is restricted to remaining flat at all times, you can't run at full speed, you can't jump as high nor as quickly, and you can't cut on that foot. It is literally restricting him from using his athleticism. If it were simply playing through a painful lingering injury it would be a different story, but there is a physical barrier preventing him from using all of his tools. Granted we've heard a few times that he's "finally healthy" the past few weeks, and for all I know, the plate may already be out and he's not as advertised. But there's been no confirmation of that, and as long as he has to play with it, he gets a pass.

Just the fortune of MSU I guess in that we are probably only going to get one year of Malik and the majority of it will be spent injured in a steel shoe where he might be playing at 70-80% at best.

lachepas565
12-14-2015, 05:08 PM
He's not as bad as people make out on here. He's shooting 55% from 2. He has an 11 assist game. He has 2 games were he didn't take care of the ball, but kept his turnovers under 2 in ever other game. He's also creating a few steals.

I can't call him good because nothing on this team seems good right now. He probably needs to quit taking 3's (shooting 22%) and work on cutting down the turnovers, but he's far from the biggest problem.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2015, 05:10 PM
I must be the only MSU fan that has completely written off this season and simply watches highlight videos of our commits. I know most of the team we have, won't be coming back and Howland is bringing in kids that can play, and the current kids simply don't know how to win.

thf24
12-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Just the fortune of MSU I guess in that we are probably only going to get one year of Malik and the majority of it will be spent injured in a steel shoe where he might be playing at 70-80% at best.

If he's indeed "finally healthy" as Bob has mentioned a few times, I'd like to think it'll be coming off soon. Or as I said, it may already be off and he's just that far behind the curve, but it seems pretty obvious to me he's still restricted in his movements. And he's still producing fairly well despite it as others have pointed out.

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
It's his defense. He's a huge asset on O.

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 05:30 PM
My biggest complaint with IJ is that he is not playing how we need him to be. He needs to just distribute the ball when he is out there. We don't need him to jack up shots to jack up shots. 15 shots is way too many and we won't win many games at all if he is the guy taking that many shots. We need him to drive and kick out to Q, Malik, or Sword, get the ball to Ware, or set up behind the three point line when Malik or Sword drive and dish out to him for a wide open shot. Ready singlehandedly lost the Southern and UKMC games ball hogging it at the end. I want the McDonakd's All American/lottery pick taking game winning shots not a sub 3 star point guard.

So, do you take the position that you know better than Howland how we need him to be playing?

For the record, it was Q that missed a three with 24 ticks on the clock that would have put us ahead in the UMKC game. We had no choice but to foul them on every possession after that.

maroonmania
12-14-2015, 05:34 PM
I must be the only MSU fan that has completely written off this season and simply watches highlight videos of our commits. I know most of the team we have, won't be coming back and Howland is bringing in kids that can play, and the current kids simply don't know how to win.

I'll keep watching just because its basketball season but yes, the season is a loss at this point and can be written off. We've dug ourselves way too deep a hole to get to any post-season at this point. And you are also correct that individual players improving through the season doesn't mean much when almost all of the roster is gone next year.

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
So, do you take the position that you know better than Howland how we need him to be playing?

For the record, it was Q that missed a three with 24 ticks on the clock that would have put us ahead in the UMKC game. We had no choice but to foul them on every possession after that.

I agree with your premise, but it bothers me when people point out one play late in a game that "lost" it. It's never the first play and it's rarely the last that decides a game. You've got 100 chances to win it between those plays. One made 3 earlier in the game, better free throw shooting, one more lose ball recovered, one less stupid foul, one more steal, one less offensive rebound for them, etc... there's a lot of chances to win games before 24 seconds left and you desperately need a score, especially against the blind sisters university.

Same with baseball. People remember the last inning and forget the other 8 where a team blew opportunities.

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
I agree with your premise, but it bothers me when people point out one play late in a game that "lost" it. It's never the first play and it's rarely the last that decides a game. You've got 100 chances to win it between those plays. One made 3 earlier in the game, better free throw shooting, one more lose ball recovered, one less stupid foul, one more steal, one less offensive rebound for them, etc... there's a lot of chances to win games before 24 seconds left and you desperately need a score, especially against the blind sisters university.

Same with baseball. People remember the last inning and forget the other 8 where a team blew opportunities.

I didn't mean to imply that Q lost that game. My point was that it wasn't IJ that jacked a three at the end of the game. You are absolutely correct that no one play or player is responsible for the outcome of any game.

Coach34
12-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Howland is not doing a very good job of coaching this basketball team. Granted- there is a divide and alot of guys in their last year- but this team should be better than its record. Say what you want- but our talent is better than Southern U's and Mizzou KC. Thats on Howland

As a few of us have said- Newman is not an automatic one and done. His injury has probably helped that. We'll see how much he grows as a basketball player in January- but the lottery is far from happening at this point. Him returning for a 2nd year to play with Q in the backcourt would be huge for next year's team. Then he can play his way into the lottery as well as be developed enough physically.

Dawg61
12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
How did BH watch IJ and decide he was better than keeping Tookie?

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 06:19 PM

How do you know that keeping IJ over Tookie was BH's decision? Tookie was recruited by RR and I have never seen where BH ran off Tookie.

mparkerfd20
12-14-2015, 06:32 PM

No, you're not the only one.

Coach34
12-14-2015, 06:37 PM

Thats a copout. We returned a 2nd team All-SEC guard, a solid player in Ware- and added 2 really good Freshmen. 4-4 is underachieving and Howland is not doing a very good job on the court with this bunch. He is recruiting well and better times are ahead- but I cant say he is doing a good coaching job with this basketball team. He is system coaching more than he is using the strengths of his current team

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 06:53 PM
No, you're not the only one.

No, He's not the only one. MSU has the largest base of negative fans of any program in collegiate sports.

Dawg61
12-14-2015, 07:01 PM
How do you know that keeping IJ over Tookie was BH's decision? Tookie was recruited by RR and I have never seen where BH ran off Tookie.

Common sense. That and Tookie melting on Twitter when it happened.

gravedigger
12-14-2015, 07:10 PM

My feeling about this is that malik is not quite the caliber player we thought he'd immediately be. That and there really isnt enough scoring threat around him to draw a defense and allow him to create.

He'll get there. Not so sure its by this march, though.

engie
12-14-2015, 07:12 PM
We'll see how highly Howland thinks of Ready next year if Malik comes back...

Decent chance next year's team is 100% Howland guys IMO. Can't wait to watch freshmen make the freshmen mistakes instead of seniors.

MarketingBully
12-14-2015, 07:25 PM

This is what lost us the game on Saturday: All Seniors and Ready from 3 Point Land 2-17. Q and Malik from 3 point land 5-12. If Malik and Q shoot more of the threes then IJ and the seniors, we win the game. Also, I will go into it further. Johnny and Sword were 2-6 from 3 point land. That leaves Ready, Daniels, and Thomas a big 0-11. That is why we lost.

gravedigger
12-14-2015, 07:42 PM

My Father in heaven, i wish more people understood this about sports.

Golfers know better than anyone. Just like every stroke counts, every little effort matters in other sports.

Highlight films have caused us all to miss this.

Great basketball teams are only realized when the talent gives equal intense effort ant the other team cannot cover it.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2015, 07:43 PM

This^^^ Exactly

HoopsDawg
12-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Not really what happened. Also, Lamar Peters is our future PG.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2015, 07:48 PM
I didn't mean to imply that Q lost that game. My point was that it wasn't IJ that jacked a three at the end of the game. You are absolutely correct that no one play or player is responsible for the outcome of any game.

Yes, IJ did jack up a terrible shot with a minute left in the game instead of getting the ball to Ware or Malik-who by the way had a really good game and is starting to turn the corner.

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Common sense. That and Tookie melting on Twitter when it happened.

Howland was hired on 3-23. Tookie reopened his recruitment on 4-7. Do you really believe the BH had time to establish a priority list, attend press conferences, deal with the press, hire staff, meet with and evaluate current players on roster, evaluate incoming players, nail down MN and God knows what else all while living out of a suitcase from California AND establish a relationship with a kid he had no prior contact with, all in two weeks?

That's not common sense, that's delusional!

Dawg61
12-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Howland was hired on 3-23. Tookie reopened his recruitment on 4-7. Do you really believe the BH had time to establish a priority list, attend press conferences, deal with the press, hire staff, meet with and evaluate current players on roster, evaluate incoming players, nail down MN and God knows what else all while living out of a suitcase from California AND establish a relationship with a kid he had no prior contact with, all in two weeks?

That's not common sense, that's delusional!

So you think Tookie just decided to not come to MSU and instead play for Georgia Southern? Ok bud

Coach34
12-14-2015, 08:59 PM
We cut Tookie. Couldnt have 2 midgets on the team at the same time- Howland chose IJ.

MCsMGs
12-14-2015, 09:15 PM
OK...I'll assume y'all have better intel than me. If it came down to IJ and an unknown(to Howland) 3 star prospect, I probably would have made the same decision. It's too easy to look in the rear view mirror and say "coulda, woulda, shoulda"...I'm a forward looking guy and not gonna get hung up on it.

lachepas565
12-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Tookie is shooting 36% from 2 vs 56% for IJ

Both bad from 3 - 27% for Tookie vs 22% for IJ

Similar assist and steal #s. Tookie is a little better. IJ turns it over less. IJ shoots a lot less if that's what you're looking for in a PG.

Lots of problems on the team, but I don't think IJ is at the top of that list nor do I think Tookie is any sort of answer.

drummerdawg
12-14-2015, 11:04 PM
I might would try Sword at point just to see if he could give us a spark. Make him feel like he's putting the team on his shoulders, maybe would get him to where he drives to the basket more and would take less pressure off Malik where he can concentrate on being a scorer.

engie
12-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Dp

engie
12-14-2015, 11:24 PM
I'm over this group of upperclassmen. Just are not winners. Something that is generally learned over time hasn't been learned in any manner whatsoever with this group. Every reasonable benchmark for year over year improvement has been fallen short of.

Give me Peters, Carter, Weatherspoon, Wright, Kegler, Stapleton, Holman, Herard, and Ado. See what happens with Malik and look hard for another impact or at least immediately decent depth power forward in the class and let's roll. It's the only position without an impact player providing depth. I'd turn the page and start fresh to that extent next year.

1 - Malik and Peters
2 - Q, Wright, and Carter
3 - Kegler and Stapleton
4 - Holman, Strugg, and new croot
5 - Herard and Ado

Then adding Nick Weatherspoon at the 1 and Garrison Brooks at the 4 for the beginning of the real "run" years...

CarolinaDawgs
12-15-2015, 12:44 AM

Ehh maybe if you're a dipshit watching baseball