PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Buckley

Big4Dawg
12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Question about Buckley. He coaches CB's at UL. I'm guessing there isn't a big difference from coaching corners and safeties?

Also, looks like UL lead the ACC in interceptions this past year. http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/interceptions/year/2015/id/1/acc-conference

They were however 10th in pass defense with 204/game. http://www.theacc.com/page/team-stats-m-footbl-stat-crew

Ifyouonlyknew
12-14-2015, 10:09 AM
I feel confident he could handle safeties also.

Dawg496
12-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Is this an actual target or just on the wish list?

Does he fit the Diaz scheme?

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 10:13 AM
All indications is he is an actual target. And he very much fits Diaz scheme. Both learned under Amato.

CadaverDawg
12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
How good of a recruiter is Buckley? What are his ties to MS? Does he have a good repour with MS high school programs?

And do you guys think he has interest in us? Or is this a "he's our top candidate" but we don't even know if he'd come, type of thing?

Is he the best available? Why do you guys consider him a home run?

I believe you...just curious

jumbo
12-14-2015, 10:25 AM
How good of a recruiter is Buckley? What are his ties to MS? Does he have a good repour with MS high school programs?

And do you guys think he has interest in us? Or is this a "he's our top candidate" but we don't even know if he'd come, type of thing?

He's from the coast..Pascagoula I think. He is Louisville's primary MS recruiter and has commitments from Jaquelle Green, Ronald Walker & Lamarques Thomas this cycle and Jaylen Smith in 2015.

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 10:26 AM
He already recruits MS for Louisville. 4 of his commits have come from this state, High school and JUCO. After getting his feet wet last year this year he is their #2 recruiter, #13 in the ACC and #61 in the country. He is having a good year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-14-2015, 10:34 AM
all 3 stars..He would be a perfect fit! *******

BeastMan
12-14-2015, 10:38 AM

Jumbo handled his credentials. One thing about the coast is that it's highly overlooked recruiting wise in MS and it's open country. Football has gotten much better on the coast and appears to be headed in the direction of the Jackson metro talent wise. While State and OM have strong holds in other areas, the coast doesn't really identify with any particular school. If you made me rank them I'd say #1 LSU, #2 MSU, #3 USM, and a distant #4 Ole Miss. I'd argue that State and USM are close. Buckley would instantly make state a viable force on the coast.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I lean towards hiring Buckley as well, but some of this staff Mullen, Sallach, & Hev, have been here for 7 years, & others like Knox, Turner, & Townsend know the lay of the land in MS. Is this really the time to hire another MS recruiter or should we go hire someone from TX or the Mid-West that can expand our recruiting ground?

After 7 years, I would hope that the entire staff knows the lay of the land in MS. I know MS is our bread & butter & I certainly don't want to over look that, but it seems like hiring a coach to recruit on the coast is less than optimal. Getting more into TX, Chicago, Ohio, etc... could be more advantageous to our program taking the next step.

Tony Hughes was a great employee for MSU, but, after 7 years, I would hope that the staff learned from him the important things they needed to learn about MS. If not, shame on them

IDK, am I wrong in my thinking here? Just thinking out loud

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I agree with this 100%

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 10:54 AM
I lean towards hiring Buckley as well, but some of this staff Mullen, Sallach, & Hev, have been here for 7 years, & others like Knox, Turner, & Townsend know the lay of the land in MS. Is this really the time to hire another MS recruiter or should we go hire someone from TX or the Mid-West that can expand our recruiting ground?

After 7 years, I would hope that the entire staff knows the lay of the land in MS. I know MS is our bread & butter & I certainly don't want to over look that, but it seems like hiring a coach to recruit on the coast is less than optimal. Getting more into TX, Chicago, Ohio, etc... could be more advantageous to our program taking the next step.

Tony Hughes was a great employee for MSU, but, after 7 years, I would hope that the staff learned from him the important things they needed to learn about MS. If not, shame on them

IDK, am I wrong in my thinking here? Just thinking out loud

Hev, Sallach, and Mullen don't have any "boys" in MS. They can't walk into a momma's living room and say "I've known Mr. jones for twenty years, known coach X for 15, and eaten at your favorite diner more times than I can count." The guys that are MS guys don't just walk in with a plaster on their heads saying "Mississippi Boy" they actually know the same people as the recruits families, know the area, know the coaches, and know what matters to people from these areas.

You can't fake Mississippi.

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Hev, Sallach, and Mullen don't have any "boys" in MS. They can't walk into a momma's living room and say "I've known Mr. jones for twenty years, known coach X for 15, and eaten at your favorite diner more times than I can count." The guys that are MS guys don't just walk in with a plaster on their heads saying "Mississippi Boy" they actually know the same people as the recruits families, know the area, know the coaches, and know what matters to people from these areas.

You make great points that are hard to deny, but between Townsend, Turner, & Knox do we not have that?

I'm perfectly OK with Buckley & think it would be a great hire. I'm just thinking out loud as to what would be the optimal hire for MSU. What guy can we hire that offers MSU the best chance of increasing our talent level?

Maybe something I'm overlooking about Buckley is that maybe it's good he hasn't been coaching at a nearby school. By coaching at Louisville, it's possible that he has developed Midwest connections

NCDawg
12-14-2015, 10:59 AM
all 3 stars..He would be a perfect fit! *******

We don't need a 3 star recruiter. If we really want to win, we need somebody like Ed Orgeron who knows how to recruit top talent. We should hire Orgeron let him coach the DL, and pay him what he demands. Find another position that Turner can coach. I'm tired of seeing us lagging towards the bottom of the SEC in recruiting.

BeastMan
12-14-2015, 11:10 AM

That's so true and not always a positive

Johnson85
12-14-2015, 11:11 AM
We don't need a 3 star recruiter. If we really want to win, we need somebody like Ed Orgeron who knows how to recruit top talent. We should hire Orgeron let him coach the DL, and pay him what he demands. Find another position that Turner can coach. I'm tired of seeing us lagging towards the bottom of the SEC in recruiting.

Can't imagine Orgeron would come to MSU for a DL position. If Orgeron doesn't get a job that will allow him to get back on track for a head coaching position, there's no reason for him to leave Louisiana. That's where his family is and he's not going to hurt for money regardless.

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 11:17 AM

Who said Buckley is a 3 star recruiter. It's all relative to the school and conference. He has I think nearly half of Louisville's top recruits and started there in 2014. Got his feet wet and took off this year for them.

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Can't imagine Orgeron would come to MSU for a DL position. If Orgeron doesn't get a job that will allow him to get back on track for a head coaching position, there's no reason for him to leave Louisiana. That's where his family is and he's not going to hurt for money regardless.

He won't and it's not even worth discussing. Peveto at least makes sense because he is a safety coach at LSU and a very good recruiter. Let's bring in Tee Martin while we are at it.***

Johnson85
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Jumbo handled his credentials. One thing about the coast is that it's highly overlooked recruiting wise in MS and it's open country. Football has gotten much better on the coast and appears to be headed in the direction of the Jackson metro talent wise. While State and OM have strong holds in other areas, the coast doesn't really identify with any particular school. If you made me rank them I'd say #1 LSU, #2 MSU, #3 USM, and a distant #4 Ole Miss. I'd argue that State and USM are close. Buckley would instantly make state a viable force on the coast.

I'm not sure anybody is going to really be strong on the Coast. Fans are pretty evenly split between LSU, MSU, UM and USM. USM probably has as many casual fans as anybody but has many fewer committed fans. LSU probably has a slight edge on MSU, who has a slight edge on UM.

In the past LSU has probably dominated recruiting the big name players just because they are the closest school and if a football player on the coast has stepped foot on a power 5 member campus before being recruited, LSU is the most likely one they've visited. If they don't have a family connection to a school, then LSU is pretty close and then State is a good bit further, then it's Auburn, Bama, and FSU, and then UM.

NCDawg
12-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Maybe we could give him a title like "Co-Defensive Coordinator for defensive line". Somewhat like Hevesy is for the offensive "running game".

BeastMan
12-14-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure anybody is going to really be strong on the Coast. Fans are pretty evenly split between LSU, MSU, UM and USM. USM probably has as many casual fans as anybody but has many fewer committed fans. LSU probably has a slight edge on MSU, who has a slight edge on UM.

In the past LSU has probably dominated recruiting the big name players just because they are the closest school and if a football player on the coast has stepped foot on a power 5 member campus before being recruited, LSU is the most likely one they've visited. If they don't have a family connection to a school, then LSU is pretty close and then State is a good bit further, then it's Auburn, Bama, and FSU, and then UM.

You're right and pretty much mirrored what I said. The only thing you missed about my point is that Coast football is on the uptick. Communities like D'Iberville and St Martin are pumping out college prospects and they didn't even really exist pre-Katrina. A lot of the other schools are just now getting back to comparable numbers. The Coast is growing like wildfire. Putting a Buckley down there would be planting the MSU flag on the coast. I fully support that as a preemptive move of sorts. Schools like Oklahoma, Louisville, and California have developed a strong presence the last 2 cycles. The secret is out. There is D1 talent on the coast and no one has a true in. Open country.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-14-2015, 12:03 PM
I take it you don't understand sarcasterisks

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 12:38 PM
I think MSU pretty much owns the coast. LSU has been 2nd for a few years now INO.

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Keonning did a really good job building up our base on the coast while he was here. Very underrated recruiter by many fans.

Johnson85
12-14-2015, 12:50 PM
I think MSU pretty much owns the coast. LSU has been 2nd for a few years now INO.

Who have we gotten from the coast lately? Nick James and Richie Brown were big. Dee Arrington was a highly rated recruit (if Wiggins is the coast). Bama got Norwood (? I think that was the receiver they got from teh coast, maybe another one). UM had somebody good from Pascagoula (Senequez Golson?).

Who else has been from the Coast lately?

Mjoelner34
12-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Who have we gotten from the coast lately? Nick James and Richie Brown were big. Dee Arrington was a highly rated recruit (if Wiggins is the coast). Bama got Norwood (? I think that was the receiver they got from teh coast, maybe another one). UM had somebody good from Pascagoula (Senequez Golson?).

Joe Morrow. 4*

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 01:13 PM

If you're talking about the I-10 corridor (that's the recruiting path/area defined for the coaches that we used under Les K.), we've got some kids from AL and LA too. You have to think only 1-3 SEC type guys will come out from there each year and we've got a good bit of them in recent history, especially when you throw in the Hattiesburg area and MGCCC.

Looking at just the schools on the beach is like excluding Madison from Jackson.

And to speak comparatively, who has LSU or OM gotten from down there?

Covercorner2
12-14-2015, 01:27 PM

Donte Moncrief and DeAndre Brown

Really Clark?
12-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Donte Moncrief and DeAndre Brown

Moncrief was from Raleigh. Not considered the coast. Just South Miss

Covercorner2
12-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Moncrief was from Raleigh. Not considered the coast. Just South Miss

My bad, I thought he was from D'Iberville for some reason....

Johnson85
12-14-2015, 02:01 PM
If you're talking about the I-10 corridor (that's the recruiting path/area defined for the coaches that we used under Les K.), we've got some kids from AL and LA too. You have to think only 1-3 SEC type guys will come out from there each year and we've got a good bit of them in recent history, especially when you throw in the Hattiesburg area and MGCCC.

Looking at just the schools on the beach is like excluding Madison from Jackson.

And to speak comparatively, who has LSU or OM gotten from down there?

I was thinking of South Mississippi as the six coastal counties. I just made the statement about Wiggins because I think a lot of people, especially those actually from the coast, think of the coast as just the three coastal counties.

And I wasn't trying to imply that we haven't gotten anybody from the coast lately or that we hadn't been doing better than LSU or OM. I was just surprised to see you say we have owned the Coast and was curious about what prospects have come from there lately. I don't keep up closely enough to know who other schools have gotten from down there. The last person I remember LSU getting was the tight end at LSU that C34 had a crush on. So maybe despite having a solid fan base and being the closest major school, they really aren't effective recruiters down there, or maybe there just haven't been many players they wanted to offer, don't know. And the only reason I knew UM had anybody from the coast is that one of their Pascagoula players was arrested while on a trip home, but they easily could have another half dozen and I wouldn't know it.