PDA

View Full Version : Loss of institutional control?

PassInterference
12-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Most of us think crootin violations when we read that phrase.

But then it hit me. Marshall Henderson was known to have cocaine problems. But he was still allowed to play basketball at Ole Miss.

There are similarities between Henderson and the Nkemdiches.

So what do you call it when an athletic department shows a trend of letting star players play depite drug problems?

I'd call it loss of institutional control.

Bothrops
12-13-2015, 11:56 PM
What you are talking about is the norm at Ole Miss. Always has been.

BossDawg
12-14-2015, 12:34 AM
What you are talking about is the norm at Ole Miss. Always has been.

Indeed. The thing about Oxford is that they're a straight shot from Memphis, which is a major distribution city for drugs. An SEC school within earshot of Memphis? I think you can connect the dots there. I have a close relative that works for North MS Narcotics and he said movement between the two towns is serious. Obviously he won't get much more detailed than that.

Bucky Dog
12-14-2015, 09:52 AM
I have been looking for the right thread to put this in but I have two friends, one with a son and the other a daughter, that went to OM just in the past year to two, and got hooked on drugs and had to go to rehab. One guy said his son told him it was so easy to get and prevalent in the fraternity and that he related it to drinking beer like we did in school. It's rely sad, and having teenagers of my own I do worry about the perception and reality. I don't want to make this a political forum, but in many cases, pot is the culprit, which leads to harder drugs. Of you want to make pot legal then only do so for those 25 and older. Kids start now in their teens while their brain is still developing.
Now back to the task at hand, I think if you have had a history of drugs, and you end up at OM, you are now living in Candyland!

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 10:00 AM
I have been looking for the right thread to put this in but I have two friends, one with a son and the other a daughter, that went to OM just in the past year to two, and got hooked on drugs and had to go to rehab. One guy said his son told him it was so easy to get and prevalent in the fraternity and that he related it to drinking beer like we did in school. It's rely sad, and having teenagers of my own I do worry about the perception and reality. I don't want to make this a political forum, but in many cases, pot is the culprit, which leads to harder drugs. Of you want to make pot legal then only do so for those 25 and older. Kids start now in their teens while their brain is still developing.
Now back to the task at hand, I think if you have had a history of drugs, and you end up at OM, you are now living in Candyland!

Alcohol is the gateway drug. Always has been, always will be. And it's much, much more dangerous than marijuana in nearly every respect. That said, marijuana illegal and sure as hell not worth getting in trouble over. However, so is alcohol up to age 21. I know a lot of people that have said drugs were easier to get than alcohol in high school and even early in college because you didn't need an ID to buy them. I think that's why you see drug use so regular today amongst the younger generation.

Hugh Freeze has a giant problem on his hands there. I'm not sure how he's going to solve it, but I pray to the good Lord that he's actually man enough to realize there's a persistent and prevalent problem there and that he wants to fix it instead of hide it. Taking future NFL lottery picks and letting them flush millions down the drain to win a few college games is borderline criminal. It's negligent to the players and whatever poor frat boy they decide to pound on that weekend. It has gotten out of hand, and in relation to another thread, yes... It has turned into the U without the rings.

Dawg61
12-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Why you gotta lump pot in with cocaine? How about alcohol then? You know damn well every mofo doing blow had a few drinks first. It's so hypocrictal for those that try to keep weed illegal and turn their eye towards alcohol. An infinitely more dangerous substance than marijuana. I love a drink too so don't get me wrong here. The entire country of Canada just legalized marijuana. Why do we have to live in the old fashioned one that still wants to keep people thinking like its 1950. Bucky Dog when you keep pot illegal you make cocaine so much more dangerous. Kids have access to alcohol all the time. When they drink it inhibits their judgment. That's when cocaine usage happens. Nobody is ripping bong hits and then snorting lines. Make pot legal and kids will smoke it instead of getting drunk and then overdosing on cocaine. We all know alcohol is never going away so the safest option is to legalize marijuana. Why can't you see that?

BrunswickDawg
12-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Pot, and other drugs, are as easy to get as alcohol anywhere. They were easy to get in my high school 30 years ago (cocaine, crack or weed), and when I was at State. If you think these are new developments, then you haven't been paying attention. What has changed to a degree is that users are doing it with much less secrecy.

Jack Lambert
12-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Alcohol is the gateway drug. Always has been, always will be. And it's much, much more dangerous than marijuana in nearly every respect. That said, marijuana illegal and sure as hell not worth getting in trouble over. However, so is alcohol up to age 21. I know a lot of people that have said drugs were easier to get than alcohol in high school and even early in college because you didn't need an ID to buy them. I think that's why you see drug use so regular today amongst the younger generation.

Hugh Freeze has a giant problem on his hands there. I'm not sure how he's going to solve it, but I pray to the good Lord that he's actually man enough to realize there's a persistent and prevalent problem there and that he wants to fix it instead of hide it. Taking future NFL lottery picks and letting them flush millions down the drain to win a few college games is borderline criminal. It's negligent to the players and whatever poor frat boy they decide to pound on that weekend. It has gotten out of hand, and in relation to another thread, yes... It has turned into the U without the rings.

You can get addicted to anything. Masturbation is the number one addiction.

TrapGame
12-14-2015, 11:02 AM
I worked with a well known MD in Hattieburg back in the 90's. His oldest son was busted at OM for distribution. The MD hired big OM lawyers and tried to throw his weight around. It pissed the judge off and he threw the book at his son and gave him the max penalty in Parchman.

LC Dawg
12-14-2015, 11:06 AM
I watched a high school coach who passes himself off as a godly person ignore the drug use of some kids because he needed them to win football games and I still consider him a POS. Some of these kids were incarcerated soon after high school. College is a little different as far as the responsibility of the coach but college coaches do bear some responsibility for the well being of their players. They state this when they sit and talk to the mamas during recruitment. Hugh Freeze makes a point of showing how great he is for these kids coming out of high school and his fan base eats it up and retweets and posts all the bullshit that he spews. The fact is that he knows whats going on and he turns his head because he knows that is part of the deal for signing these guys and he needs them to win football games. Freeze is a charlatan and I can't wait until it all comes crashing down Swaggart style.

Political Hack
12-14-2015, 11:07 AM
I worked with a well known MD in Hattieburg back in the 90's. His oldest son was busted at OM for distribution. The MD hired big OM lawyers and tried to throw his weight around. It pissed the judge off and he threw the book at his son and gave him the max penalty in Parchman.

That's a pretty big backfire.

archdog
12-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Taking future NFL lottery picks and letting them flush millions down the drain to win a few college games is borderline criminal. It's negligent to the players and whatever poor frat boy they decide to pound on that weekend.

Also, in this day and age, getting said player to rehab will also destroy their potential in the NFL. Best practice is to drug test hard enough for any and all illegal drugs, dictated equally across every team in the nation by the NCAA. Starters should have to test regularly. Matter of fact, if a player takes an official visit, boom test them. You fail a drug test, you don't practice or play until you pass one. You want to end it for good, make the penalty crazy harsh.