PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Simmons and brown etc

BB30
12-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Just curious out of the highly ranked prospects coming out of the state of ms and going to bama how many have lived up to expectations and had success at bama? I know these two are looking at bama but have the previous highly touted guys from ms had good careers at bama?

Coach34
12-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Freddie Milons did- about the last one I remember

defiantdog
12-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Just to let you know..... Mullen tells recruits to only commit if you're 100%. We have some highly ranked guys that are 99% committed. They want to enjoy the process. We may lose one to Bama, but that's about it. OM will do their thing as well and wait till the last minute to start pushing these guys.

Coach34
12-12-2015, 12:44 PM
exactly. Let some of these guys enjoy the process

Jack Lambert
12-12-2015, 12:52 PM
With all that happen the past two weeks, I think the Coaching Staff has to make a splash in recruiting, they know it and they are going to push hard. I think they will finish strong and end up having a top 25 class. What else is helping is all the other coaching changes around the conference and south east.

Who knows if we land the right guys it could be even higher.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2015, 12:53 PM
We may lose one to Bama, but that's about it.

Haha, that's the problem though. We can't afford to lose either Simmons or Brown and expect be building a roster that can compete in the West. It's not that either one of those players are the difference, it's that we've got to win recruiting battles for there types of players if we want to win a championship.

Last night I watched the 30 for 30 "The Gospel According to Mac". The story of Bill McCartney at Colorado, and I realized that there has rarely been a non traditional power step up and compete for a National Title without drastically raising their recruiting profile. We've got to win the battle for elite players in our backyard. It's that simple.

defiantdog
12-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Haha, that's the problem though. We can't afford to lose either Simmons or Brown and expect be building a roster that can compete in the West. It's not that either one of those players are the difference, it's that we've got to win recruiting battles for there types of players if we want to win a championship.

Last night I watched the 30 for 30 "The Gospel According to Mac". The story of Bill McCartney at Colorado, and I realized that there has rarely been a non traditional power step up and compete for a National Title without drastically raising their recruiting profile. We've got to win the battle for elite players in our backyard. It's that simple.
We're doing everything possible to get Simmons..... Trust me.

coastdoglover
12-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Ole Miss waits until the dead period and that is when the dead presidents come out to flip recruits.

Just to let you know..... Mullen tells recruits to only commit if you're 100%. We have some highly ranked guys that are 99% committed. They want to enjoy the process. We may lose one to Bama, but that's about it. OM will do their thing as well and wait till the last minute to start pushing these guys.

Intramural All-American
12-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Freddie Milons did- about the last one I remember

While not a stud, Kevin Norwood had a solid career there. As did Justin woodall.

msstate7
12-12-2015, 02:13 PM
While not a stud, Kevin Norwood had a solid career there. As did Justin woodall.

Who was the olineman that went to bama and had a great career?

somebodyshotmypaw
12-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Who was the olineman that went to bama and had a great career?

Anthony Steen. Three year starter.

Coach34
12-12-2015, 02:23 PM
one of them was from an Academy in South Ms- not highly rated as the question asked

ScottH
12-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Anthony Steen. Three year starter.

Lee Academy in Clarksdale.

TUSK
12-12-2015, 04:38 PM
most have already been mentioned...

Rudd and Townsend come to mind, as well...

dawgwood
12-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Rudd and Townsend was all Ole Miss failure,

lastmajordog
12-12-2015, 05:25 PM
most have already been mentioned...

Rudd and Townsend come to mind, as well...

I thought the Magnum boy from Magee did real well there and in the pro's......but maybe my memory is skewed.

TUSK
12-12-2015, 05:46 PM
I thought the Magnum boy from Magee did real well there and in the pro's......but maybe my memory is skewed.

Kris Mangum... he transferred after a year (I think) when we signed some "higher profile" talent... went on to be All SEC (at OM) then had a great NFL career...

LC Dawg
12-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Kris Mangum... he transferred after a year (I think) when we signed some "higher profile" talent... went on to be All SEC (at OM) then had a great NFL career...

What about John Mangum?

bulldawg28
12-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Rudd and Townsend was all Ole Miss failure,

Neither of them would have gone to Ole Miss if they hadn't chose Bama.

Thick
12-12-2015, 07:10 PM
John Mangum's son is a freshman baseball player at State this year.

nicks_hammer
12-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Ah the Mangum boys. I believe John graduated in 86 maybe 85. Kris was after I had already graduated if I remember right. Their father played for Green Bay I think.

dawgwood
12-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Neither of them would have gone to Ole Miss if they hadn't chose Bama.Cool info ,I was to young to keep up with recruiting back then.