PDA

View Full Version : NCAA investigating Johnny SoapOpera

Coach34
08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs

CadaverDawg
08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Honestly, him being ruled ineligible may be the only thing that saves him at this point. The guy is spiraling out of control.

*And I hope he gets it together, but I would love for him to be ineligible when we play them.

Political Hack
08-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Over/under on the suspension length....

3 hours. What you got?

Majors42
08-04-2013, 04:46 PM

3 hours. What you got?

Under, no eye witness on the cash exchange. I cant believe that this will be any different than Cam, johnny f-up has got to be too valuable to suspend.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Under, no eye witness on the cash exchange. I cant believe that this will be any different than Cam, johnny f-up has got to be too valuable to suspend.

True. But slap a "M-State" logo on him and he's suspended for one season, and half of the next season at least.

Political Hack
08-04-2013, 04:59 PM
True. But slap a "M-State" logo on him and he's suspended for one season, and half of the next season at least.

Does anyone know of any other players at other schools that have lost more than a year due to an NCAA suspension?

hacker
08-04-2013, 05:09 PM

3 hours. What you got?

I'll take the over -- Cam Newton was suspended for like 12 hours right?

engie
08-04-2013, 05:14 PM

No eyewitness in this REPORT... given the nature of how this was handled, someone saw something... And there's NO doubt in my mind that money changed hands. Would he leave an airport(for a national title game) to go to some strange man's house and sign 1000 items for free? Would you? I sure wouldn't. I'd sign whatever was put in front of my at the airport and I'd be on my way...

NorCalDawg
08-04-2013, 05:28 PM
0 hours of suspension. His father made the deal and JFF didn't know anything about it; therefore, no NCAA violation occurred. Nothing to see here.

msstate7
08-04-2013, 05:29 PM
0 hours of suspension. His father made the deal and JFF didn't know anything about it; therefore, no NCAA violation occurred. Nothing to see here.

Nice

Coach34
08-04-2013, 05:36 PM
You can bet the A&M fan site reporters are digging deep to give their fans "the truth" though Wardlaw-style

Political Hack
08-04-2013, 06:03 PM
You can bet the A&M fan site reporters are digging deep to give their fans "the truth" though Wardlaw-style

I wonder if their scout site is advising the signature guy to go public.

Majors42
08-04-2013, 06:27 PM
No eyewitness in this REPORT... given the nature of how this was handled, someone saw something... And there's NO doubt in my mind that money changed hands. Would he leave an airport(for a national title game) to go to some strange man's house and sign 1000 items for free? Would you? I sure wouldn't. I'd sign whatever was put in front of my at the airport and I'd be on my way...

Absolutely agree, I believe money changed hands. I just have a hard time believing that there will ever be any evidence of that happening. The strange man has probably done this before and I'm sure he knows to do this discretely if he wants to continue his shady ass business.

Todd4State
08-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Absolutely agree, I believe money changed hands. I just have a hard time believing that there will ever be any evidence of that happening. The strange man has probably done this before and I'm sure he knows to do this discretely if he wants to continue his shady ass business.

Selling sports memorabila is a shady ass business? Well, I guess it certainly could be but in this businessman's defense it at least appears as if he intends the real thing.

Todd4State
08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I wonder if their scout site is advising the signature guy to go public.

I heard that the A&M compliance people were jealous of Bracky getting praised by the NCAA for his cooperation.

Esmerelda Villalobos
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Best article the lake ever had was their recruiting guru making public that his wife had banged someone else on a cruise and he was taking a week off to save his marriage.

Guess other guy looked good on the hoof or she actually liked rockin it in the deuce and scouty couldnt see over belly to find it.

Gordon Gekko
08-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Best article the lake ever had was their recruiting guru making public that his wife had banged someone else on a cruise and he was taking a week off to save his marriage.

Guess other guy looked good on the hoof or she actually liked rockin it in the deuce and scouty couldnt see over belly to find it.

It wasn't a bellhop on the cruise ship it was a bartender...and if you must know he didn't even cum inside her

Majors42
08-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Selling sports memorabila is a shady ass business? Well, I guess it certainly could be but in this businessman's defense it at least appears as if he intends the real thing.

Yeah it's shady if you know that by paying a college athlete money to sign memrobilla could cost him his chance to play, then yes, you are shady. I'm not calling the sports membroliia business shady. I'm calling this guy shady. There is a difference.

Esmerelda Villalobos
08-04-2013, 07:46 PM
It wasn't a bellhop on the cruise ship it was a bartender...and if you must know he didn't even cum inside her

He must have not been a dentist

sbcmortgageman
08-04-2013, 07:47 PM

It becomes a shady business when you solicit college athletes and give them cash and pray like hades no one finds out.

msstate7
08-04-2013, 07:52 PM
It becomes a shady business when you solicit college athletes and give them cash and pray like hades no one finds out.

If he gets suspended, I would think the items JM signed would become very valuble. Guy probably already sold them though

Coach34
08-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Top 3 post on Elitedawgs- EVAHHHHHHH

TUSK
08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
just to set him up... REC is working, baby...

TrueMaroon
08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Those who think he wont get punished obviously-normally I would agree and site the NCAA's gross negligence in other similar situations.

However, the stupid memorabilia dealer sent in all 1,000 photos at the same time to get authenticated. So 1 person sends in 1,000 items for authentication, and there is no way they can cover it up because JSA and PSA (the top two authentication authorities in the business) have issued the serial numbers for each autographed item in sequential order. He will have to miss some games.

What is going to end up ruining him is the fact that all the signatures were authenticated by third parties.

SignalToNoise
08-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Those who think he wont get punished obviously-normally I would agree and site the NCAA's gross negligence in other similar situations.

However, the stupid memorabilia dealer sent in all 1,000 photos at the same time to get authenticated. So 1 person sends in 1,000 items for authentication, and there is no way they can cover it up because JSA and PSA (the top two authentication authorities in the business) have issued the serial numbers for each autographed item in sequential order. He will have to miss some games.

What is going to end up ruining him is the fact that all the signatures were authenticated by third parties.

They will still have to prove that Manziel accepted cash.

RougeDawg
08-05-2013, 10:44 AM

If Miami and Auburn (Cam) can get away with blatant cheating then this will be a locked an shut "no evidence found" case by this afternoon.

TrueMaroon
08-05-2013, 10:49 AM
If Miami and Auburn (Cam) can get away with blatant cheating then this will be a locked an shut "no evidence found" case by this afternoon.

Totally different cases.

They've got him cornered. I agree that pinning the cash is going to be difficult to do, but this is going to be much more than "locked and shut"

SignalToNoise
08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Joe Schad is tweetign some stuff that sounds pretty damning, to me.

Too many tweets to copy/paste them all, so scan Schad's twitter www.twitter.com/schadjoe

Highlights: another prominent autograph broker has come forward saying that Manziel asked for cash to sign a stack of photographs. Has a picture of Manziel signing pictures in a hotel room night before Bama game.

I will be very surprised if there are no consequences for this.

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
The NCAA has already ruled that solicitation isn't a violation.

engie
08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
The NCAA has already ruled that solicitation isn't a violation.

Solicitation by family isn't a violation as long as the player didn't know. Solicitation by the player himself IS a violation...

ETA Just read the Schad article. Says his "friend" was the one that solicited the money. You are exactly right on this one flab -- I am wrong...

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

sandwolf
08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Solicitation by family isn't a violation as long as the player didn't know.

I thought that the Cam case resulted in the NCAA closing that loophole so that solicitation by family or a handler was a violation.....am I remembering wrong?

engie
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I thought that the Cam case resulted in the NCAA closing that loophole so that solicitation by family or a handler was a violation.....am I remembering wrong?

They talked about closing that loophole at the time -- but I haven't seen anything that said they actually ever did it...

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I am sure the NCAA will need more cases to review before establishing a trend that merits a legislative solution.

hacker
08-05-2013, 02:18 PM
They talked about closing that loophole at the time -- but I haven't seen anything that said they actually ever did it...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7452188/ncaa-broadens-agent-rules-include-parents-closes-cam-newton-loophole

Surely his friend who is his agent is considered his agent.

fishwater99
08-05-2013, 02:52 PM

That's they key here.. It's okay for them to pay his friend for the autographs.. JFF never knew anyone was getting paid.

Nothing to see here, move along...

engie
08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
That's they key here.. It's okay for them to pay his friend for the autographs.. JFF never knew anyone was getting paid.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Maybe. Or they can suspend him and make him prove that he's innocent exactly like they did Renardo Sidney for us**

Going to learn alot about the compliance setup at aTm in this thing...

ckDOG
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM

That's easy. The NCAA can tell the IRS who the folks were that got "free" autographs. IRS tells these folks that they owe income taxes on Johnny's gifted signatures. If that's true, Johnny is in the clear. If they paid him, he gets thrown under the bus. Simple.