PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Henry Projected to be a 4th round pick

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Just saw an article in which an NFL scout projected Derrick Henry to be a 4th round pick, yet this guy will win the Heisman Trophy tomorrow night & was rated a 99 & #1 running back in the country out of high school.

Furthermore, at Alabama, Henry runs behind an offensive line that averages a 94 rating across the front, & plays on a team that has a defense that quickly gets the ball back & offers Alabama's offense the chance to pound away, due to always playing from ahead or tied in the game.

I realize that Henry had a wonderful year, but there seems to be a disconnect here.

Why are are we giving the Heisman Trophy to the trust fun baby?

Why was a projected 4th round NFL draft pick rated a 99 & #1 player at his position in high school?

Are we going to give the Heisman to an Alabama running back every year? Shocker.... they are most likely going to have a great year. Every advantage that a running back needs, Alabama's team structure offers

Personally, I would vote for Christian Mccaffrey for the Heisman because I truly think he's been the best player in the country this year, without every conceivable advantage possible.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000599022/article/former-scout-derrick-henry-looks-like-fourthround-pick

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Agreed on McCaffrey, esp at a school know for academics.

Jack Lambert
12-11-2015, 02:50 PM
I think the Shelf life of a RB in the NFL is three years. Up until last year RB just hasn't been valued too much. Seems like D-lineman and O-lineman have been. Just the impression I have gotten, not facts but if I am correct giving Henry's size and his speed you would think his shelf life would be longer and his value be more.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I think the Shelf life of a RB in the NFL is three years. Up until last year RB just hasn't been valued too much. Seems like D-lineman and O-lineman have been. Just the impression I have gotten, not facts but if I am correct giving Henry's size and his speed you would think his shelf life would be longer and his value be more.

Henry will play for a long time in a utility, short yardage back role like Anthony Dixon has done. He'll be given the opportunity early to be an every down back, due to his name & accomplishments, but, at the end of the day, he has slow feet, lacks initial explosion & vision, & is frankly too tall.

Big4Dawg
12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Henry will play for a long time in a utility, short yardage back role like Anthony Dixon has done. He'll be given the opportunity early to be an every down back, due to his name & accomplishments, but, at the end of the day, he has slow feet, lacks initial explosion & vision, & is frankly too tall.

Agreed, and a lot of scouts also agree. http://alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Scout-says-Henry-not-an-elite-NFL-running-back-prospect-41137933

Ifyouonlyknew
12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
I would vote for McCaffery but it has nothing to do with where Henry is projected in the NFL. I don't think that should be considered in the equation at all.

mic
12-11-2015, 02:59 PM
McCaffery should get the award and it really shouldn't be that close..

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Here are the players that would have won the Heisman this year, if they played for Bama:

Fournette
Prescott
Boykin
Mayfield
Chubb (if he stays healthy)
Alex Collins
Brandon Allen (Maybe)
Ezekiel Elliott
Braxton Miller (As a QB)
Dalvin Cook
Connor Cook
Paxton Lynch
Jared Goff
Cody Kessler
Kyle Allen
Deshaun Watson

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 03:00 PM
I would vote for McCaffery but it has nothing to do with where Henry is projected in the NFL. I don't think that should be considered in the equation at all.

I agree. NFL draft projection shouldn't factor. I was just using that to help illustrate my point

TUSK
12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Yup, the Bryant Museum has an entire wing dedicated soley to bammer RBs that have won the Heisman.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Yup, the Bryant Museum has an entire wing dedicated soley to bammer RBs that have won the Heisman.

Hey, I realize that Ingram is the only other Bama back to win the Heisman, but that doesn't change the point. A marginal NFL prospect that's football's equivalent to a trust fund baby, will win the Heisman tomorrow night. To me, that's not right. There are others that are far more deserving

msstate7
12-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Hey, I realize that Ingram is the only other Bama back to win the Heisman, but that doesn't change the point. A marginal NFL prospect that's football's equivalent to a trust fund baby, will win the Heisman tomorrow night. To me, that's not right. There are others that are far more deserving

I'm not a Henry fan, but draft stock should mean nothing for heisman consideration

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm not a Henry fan, but draft stock should mean nothing for heisman consideration

I agree, but I also think the players that are playing around you should be considered. I just don't agree with an overrated running back that runs behind an NFL offensive line, in games where his team has the lead at times, winning the Heisman.

Political Hack
12-11-2015, 03:14 PM
McCaffrey should win it and it shouldn't even be close.

msstate7
12-11-2015, 03:16 PM
McCaffrey should win it and it shouldn't even be close.

Stanford's oline is better than bama's imo

TUSK
12-11-2015, 03:19 PM

I'm with you, man. But but there are lots of winners that didn't deserve it. I quit paying attention when Manning got shafted (IMO)....

Political Hack
12-11-2015, 03:23 PM

He's not just a RB. He has TD passes, catches, rushes, and returns. The OL helps, but he does it all.

Jack Lambert
12-11-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm with you, man. But but there are lots of winners that didn't deserve it. I quit paying attention when Manning got shafted (IMO)....

We talking Peyton right?

TUSK
12-11-2015, 03:24 PM

I think the '15 Bama OL (comparably) sucks.

Really, I do.

Saltydog
12-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Scouts will tell you the same. Henry has horrible feet. He will be average at best in the NFL.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 03:26 PM
I think the '15 Bama OL (comparably) sucks.

Really, I do.

I agree that Stanford's o-line is slightly better than Bama's, but Bama's O-line does have elite talent on it &, due to how dominating Bama's defense is, Alabama is always playing from ahead or tied in a game & can thus feed Henry the rock, time & time again. Others teams don't have that luxury.

TUSK
12-11-2015, 03:28 PM
We talking Peyton right?

Yep. The year Woodson won it.

TUSK
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
I dunno who "deserves" the Heisman, but I do know this: if Derrick Henry played in the pac 12, he'd have a bunch more yards, TDs and probably been tackled only 3 times all season.

LC Dawg
12-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't know how well Derrick Henry will play in the NFL but he just broke the SEC single season rushing record held by Hershel Walker and that's damn impressive to me (interestingly that was not Hershel's Heisman year). I've only seen McCaffery play a couple of times but he is also damn impressive so I'm not saying he shouldn't win it. What I'm saying is that players that aren't on top teams are already eliminated from consideration for the Heisman and if we start eliminating players based on the talent of their teammates or their NFL prospects we will really narrow the field.

DownwardDawg
12-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Yep. The year Woodson won it.

Yep. That was it for me too. I laughed and decided that was it for paying attention to the award anymore.

smootness
12-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Just saw an article in which an NFL scout projected Derrick Henry to be a 4th round pick, yet this guy will win the Heisman Trophy tomorrow night & was rated a 99 & #1 running back in the country out of high school.

Furthermore, at Alabama, Henry runs behind an offensive line that averages a 94 rating across the front, & plays on a team that has a defense that quickly gets the ball back & offers Alabama's offense the chance to pound away, due to always playing from ahead or tied in the game.

I realize that Henry had a wonderful year, but there seems to be a disconnect here.

Why are are we giving the Heisman Trophy to the trust fun baby?

Why was a projected 4th round NFL draft pick rated a 99 & #1 player at his position in high school?

Are we going to give the Heisman to an Alabama running back every year? Shocker.... they are most likely going to have a great year. Every advantage that a running back needs, Alabama's team structure offers

Personally, I would vote for Christian Mccaffrey for the Heisman because I truly think he's been the best player in the country this year, without every conceivable advantage possible.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000599022/article/former-scout-derrick-henry-looks-like-fourthround-pick

Looks like based on your own post, the recruiting sites completely nailed it.

Why would NFL projections have anything to do with college projections? I don't like Henry's future in the NFL, but the recruiting sites did, in fact, nail it. Because they're projecting college success...and he's going to win the Heisman Trophy.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Looks like based on your own post, the recruiting sites completely nailed it.

Why would NFL projections have anything to do with college projections? I don't like Henry's future in the NFL, but the recruiting sites did, in fact, nail it. Because they're projecting college success...and he's going to win the Heisman Trophy.

Did they?

Would he have won the Heisman if he played for any other team besides Bama? He's a projected 4th round pick after all.

I realize that it appears that websites nailed it, but did they really? Again he's a projected 4th round pick. That's his talent. His college production mostly has to do with the players that play around him and not necessarily his talent.

For you to believe the websites nailed it, do you also believe that all Bama commits should receive a recruiting rating bump because they will more than likely play well around those other great players?

Taog Redloh
12-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Both are very deserving candidates. I haven't seen McCaffery enough to know about him. But I have seen Henry, and ya'll are nuts if you don't think he's essentially their whole offense. Yeah he's a little soft at the line but any crease at all and it's game over. He's got more acceleration than Cam Newton. And of course, the one game genius Saban decides not to ride Henry ends up being Ole Miss. Without Henry, Alabama might be 8-4.

No clue if he'll make it in the NFL but at the college level he's elite.

Dawg61
12-11-2015, 11:46 PM
The Heisman is like the MVP award in baseball. How your team does is just as important as how you did. How many times in history has the winner not been on a top 10 team? Not very often

Leonard Fournette is the best player in college football and it's not even close but he won't finish top 3 for the Heisman because LSU shit the bed and he only had 30 yards vs Bama. The really unfair thing about it is that the three finalists didn't have to face Bama's D. Fournette did. How many yards would Derrick Henry get if he faced the Bama D? Probably about 30.

smootness
12-12-2015, 01:28 AM
Did they?

Would he have won the Heisman if he played for any other team besides Bama? He's a projected 4th round pick after all.

I realize that it appears that websites nailed it, but did they really? Again he's a projected 4th round pick. That's his talent. His college production mostly has to do with the players that play around him and not necessarily his talent.

For you to believe the websites nailed it, do you also believe that all Bama commits should receive a recruiting rating bump because they will more than likely play well around those other great players?

Did Danny Wuerffel deserve the Heisman? Did Tim Tebow? Did Eric Crouch?

Would a recruiting site that rated them all 5-stars have been wrong? Of course not. Those guys were all elite college football players. What they did in the pros or how they were evaluated at the time of the draft had nothing to do with their college ability. Why? Because college isn't the pros.

It's an asinine argument. You're trying to suggest that the recruiting sites were all wrong on Derrick Henry because, though he's going to win the Heisman, he really shouldn't. Regardless of what you think of Bama's talent, that's an asinine argument. I honestly don't understand the point of this thread. You seem upset about Henry for some reason.

smootness
12-12-2015, 01:28 AM
The Heisman is like the MVP award in baseball. How your team does is just as important as how you did. How many times in history has the winner not been on a top 10 team? Not very often

Leonard Fournette is the best player in college football and it's not even close but he won't finish top 3 for the Heisman because LSU shit the bed and he only had 30 yards vs Bama. The really unfair thing about it is that the three finalists didn't have to face Bama's D. Fournette did. How many yards would Derrick Henry get if he faced the Bama D? Probably about 30.

It's given to the player who had the best season. Henry had the best season.

DudyDawg
12-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Mccaffrey only has like 11 touchdowns. If he had 18 or so, I'd give it to him. He and Watson are close in rushing scores IIRC. That's not enough.

ETA 8 rushing TDs. He's a running back.