PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hughes

Maroon_and_white
12-10-2015, 04:10 PM
beat writer for JSU insinuating JSU and Hughes could be in talks to be their next HC? Anyone know how likely this is to happen?

Brahmabull
12-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I have a hard time seeing JSU pay Hughes enough. He makes $400,000 now. That doesn't mean he may not be willing to take a pay cut in order to try being a head coach.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Holy crap....What recruiting success we have is mainly because of him..That would hurt

MafiaDawg
12-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Can't imagine he would be willing to cut his pay in half for a more stressful job at such a disfunctional place at this point in his career. Have some common sense people.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 04:23 PM
The former coach got paid a base of $260,000

Dawg61
12-10-2015, 04:23 PM
If his team plays like his safeties do we should schedule them every year

MafiaDawg
12-10-2015, 04:36 PM
The former coach got paid a base of $260,000

Which they will have to continue paying him at least a portion of that. I can't imagine the next guy makes that much partly due to that reason. Comegy made right at 200k.

Brahmabull
12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
I would also add that JSU is the highest paying school in the SWAC so it is hard seeing them double the head coaches salary over their current level. Not to mention paying assistants and previous coach.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Which they will have to continue paying him at least a portion of that. I can't imagine the next guy makes that much partly due to that reason. Comegy made right at 200k.

His contract was set to expire Jan 2017 but it had a buyout clause of $65,000 or a negotiated and agreed upon amount by both parties if terminated by the University.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-10-2015, 05:59 PM
And like clock work, Dicky Cross brings it up on H2H. I guess he's toeing the party line and planting that seed of doubt for Simmons.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
On the topic of instate coaching moves, Chip Lindsey has left So Miss to be the ASU OC. Also out of state, Tulsa's OC Gilbert may take the Texas OC job. And FSU DC may be headed to Auburn (sounded like he turned it down a few days ago but may be not).

dickiedawg
12-10-2015, 06:39 PM
If they can pay him they could do a much worse job hiring a head coach.

nicks_hammer
12-10-2015, 06:51 PM
For Tony Hughes is it about money or does he have something to prove. JSU is not without tradition in the SWAC and once upon a time they used to get some awesome talent until the SEC teams began paying attention. I suspect Tony Hughes, like most coaches is a competitor, and has the drive and will to do this and I believe that he would be successful at it. I have no inside information or knowledge about this matter this is just a gut feeling.

Coach34
12-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Tony would probably easily take 250-275K to be a HC.

MafiaDawg
12-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Maybe so, but I suspect if push came to shove we would almost double that. At some point hopefully the numbers just don't add up. JSU is such a disaster in almost every aspect.

Also Hughes earns every bit of it as a recruiter but his position is always a weakness. If I had to guess, he wouldn't make a very good HC.

Coach34
12-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Maybe so, but I suspect if push came to shove we would almost double that. At some point hopefully the numbers just don't add up. JSU is such a disaster in almost every aspect.

The excitement of running his own program wont matter what we offer. He is getting older now and knows he isnt going to be an SEC Coordinator- to get a HC job Jax State would be perfect for him because he knows Miss inside and out, is a sharp guy, and is very disciplined. Its a job he could have for 10 years and coupled with Miss retirement- have him living solidly the rest of his life.

If he is offered- no way he turns it down

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 07:18 PM
At this point in his career, I suspect the bulk of the decision will be determined by if he wants to run his own program at a lower level school or if he is happy with his career now. Money is not irrelevant but is not going to be the #1 deciding factor I suspect. He knows if he takes it and it doesn't work out after a few years, he could step right back recruiting for us or UNM.

nicks_hammer
12-10-2015, 07:36 PM
I believe with his recruiting background and connections in MS he would clean house on the leftovers as far as talent is concerned. Tony would have to assemble the right staff to augment his deficiency's in order to be successful but I believe that he is more than capable and probably has the ego to return JSU back to prominence within their league. It was not that long ago that JSU was actually considering moving to division 1A. They have the resources to be dominant in their league, they just need the right administrator and coach to coordinate all the moving pieces and orchestrate their revival.

engie
12-10-2015, 07:41 PM
JSU comes after him every time they are hiring... He laughed at them 2 years ago.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 08:12 PM
I believe with his recruiting background and connections in MS he would clean house on the leftovers as far as talent is concerned. Tony would have to assemble the right staff to augment his deficiency's in order to be successful but I believe that he is more than capable and probably has the ego to return JSU back to prominence within their league. It was not that long ago that JSU was actually considering moving to division 1A. They have the resources to be dominant in their league, they just need the right administrator and coach to coordinate all the moving pieces and orchestrate their revival.

They do have the resources but they are run by morons. The will Jackson Stste it up every time.

PendingTransaction
12-10-2015, 09:50 PM
As I stated the week after the EB, this is a real possibility. And Tony will be one of the best hires they can make.

OurState
12-10-2015, 10:01 PM
JSU comes after him every time they are hiring... He laughed at them 2 years ago.

Two years agouti seemed like Dan was sticking around. The two may go together.

HancockCountyDog
12-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Probably just a coincidence and he probably has always followed certain places, but there seem to be a strong HBC following by Coach Hughes.

No idea if anything to it.

Noxdog
12-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Probably just a coincidence and he probably has always followed certain places, but there seem to be a strong HBC following by Coach Hughes.

No idea if anything to it.

What's Spurrier got to do with it????

engie
12-10-2015, 10:46 PM

2 years ago was the hottest his seat has been yet prior to pulling off the Arky and OM miracles

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 10:57 PM

Dan is not going anywhere barring a Bobby Petrino incident.