PDA

View Full Version : how MSU stacks up in assistant coaching salaries

FISHDAWG
12-10-2015, 02:51 PM
our HC might be in the top 15 but our assistants / position coaches are another story

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2015, 02:56 PM
#22 is better than I thought we would be

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 03:11 PM
#22 is better than I thought we would be

Way better.

Eta: just went and looked. We are way further down the list.

FISHDAWG
12-10-2015, 03:22 PM
yep - better overall than I expected but looking individually .... Diaz starts at 50th place next = 144,146,168,170,194,272 places respectively

Homedawg
12-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Way better.

I think he's right. 22nd or close to it. 11th in the league though. Which is typical.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Way better.

We are #22 as a program, but Manny is our highest paid assistant at #50 - just have to change how it is sorted.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2015, 03:33 PM
I think he's right. 22nd or close to it. 11th in the league though. Which is typical.
Sometimes I hate the SEC. Makes it tough to compete.

Brahmabull
12-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I counted 21, but maybe I missed somebody. I would say top 25 for assistant coaching pool is pretty good.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 03:52 PM
I counted 21, but maybe I missed somebody. I would say top 25 for assistant coaching pool is pretty good.

It is good nationally, but as far as the SEC we need to step it up a little bit. If all of our assistants got 50K raises that would bump us up some.

engie
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
We are where we need to be in this regard right now. Who deserves a raise? Billy G I suppose. If we make the purported coaching moves, that will bump us a couple hundred k itself...

defiantdog
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
It is good nationally, but as far as the SEC we need to step it up a little bit. If all of our assistants got 50K raises that would bump us up some.

Which assistant do you think deserves a raise?

mic
12-10-2015, 03:58 PM
maybe it's not their fault we are as lazy in recruiting as we are.. Embarrassing that our assistants make what they do, or maybe we need to upgrade some positions and get better coaches in here before we start handing out raises..

How bout some recruiting incentives... Make some of them (Hev) get out and recruit harder to earn some extra $$$$..

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Which assistant do you think deserves a raise?

I would consider the 50K more of a "market adjustment" than an actual raise.

But if I were going to give anyone on the staff a raise, I would say in no particular order Brian Johnson, Billy Gonzalez, and Tony Hughes for his recruiting.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 04:05 PM
maybe it's not their fault we are as lazy in recruiting as we are.. Embarrassing that our assistants make what they do, or maybe we need to upgrade some positions and get better coaches in here before we start handing out raises..

How bout some recruiting incentives... Make some of them (Hev) get out and recruit harder to earn some extra $$$$..

I'm all about incentives. I wonder how our recruiting budget stacks up against everyone else in the SEC as well? Probably down there as well.

CadaverDawg
12-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Yep. You get out of something what you put into it a lot of times......we can't expect to get Ed Orgeron-style recruiting on a Reed Stringer salary.

Not saying we should pay more to our current guys, but they should be heavily incentivized based on recruiting and position performance. Incentives are the best way to go these days....maximizes potential, avoids complacency, and keeps people for complaining about their pay as much, bc there's always ways for them to make more.

Brahmabull
12-10-2015, 04:09 PM
My point about being pretty good is from the standpoint that there are a lot of schools who can pay a head coach a lot of money, but there are not many who pay Dan the way we do and pay assistant coaching pool top 25. Something to remember when job openings get tossed around.

CadaverDawg
12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
I would consider the 50K more of a "market adjustment" than an actual raise.

But if I were going to give anyone on the staff a raise, I would say in no particular order Brian Johnson, Billy Gonzalez, and Tony Hughes for his recruiting.

Whatever Hughes gets raised for recruiting, can immediately be deducted for our Safety play over the last few years. We need to move his ass to "recruiting coordinator" and away from the Safeties....if it hasn't technically been done already. Whoever is currently coaching safeties needs to be addressed, along with Hevesy of course.

ScreenCaptureThis
12-10-2015, 04:24 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img907/6664/6E83lD.png

CadaverDawg
12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img907/6664/6E83lD.png

John Hevesy could be criminally charged for stealing that much money from the program.

maroonmania
12-10-2015, 06:05 PM
We are where we need to be in this regard right now. Who deserves a raise? Billy G I suppose. If we make the purported coaching moves, that will bump us a couple hundred k itself...

I agree. I don't have a problem with paying guys more if they are critical to the program but what asst. coach do we have that we can't afford to lose? It's probably Hughes and that is strictly for recruiting, not his coaching. I would have absolutely have no problem with us paying our DC $1 million or more if they show they are a true cut above. Not sure I would say Manny showed that this year. Will be interesting to see what our defense does next year. Dave Wommack at OM has produced much better consistent results than any of the DCs Mullen has hired. Some of that is personnel but some of it is also scheme and in-game play calling.

Joe Schmedlap
12-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Not advocating this for our current DC until I see what he does next year, but any DC for an SEC team should be pulling down 700k or more now. If we can find the right guy, pay $850k or more.

I'm not sold on Townsend yet. Will see what he can do next year as well. He hasn't really been key in upgrading the talent haul at CB and his coaching seems "meh".

Give our WR coach a raise for sure, now. Don't give a cent more to Hevesey. I think he is overpaid already. He isn't worth more than 300 grand.

Brian Johnson seems sharp but he is still young. He's paid pretty well now but if he can deliver a good QB next year, bump him to $350 grand since we don't have to pay an OC 500 to 650k a year.

And on second thought, just fire Hevesy. We could get a much better OL coach for what he gets paid. Bump it to 450k and get a new guy with a proven history of results both recruiting and developing.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Whatever Hughes gets raised for recruiting, can immediately be deducted for our Safety play over the last few years. We need to move his ass to "recruiting coordinator" and away from the Safeties....if it hasn't technically been done already. Whoever is currently coaching safeties needs to be addressed, along with Hevesy of course.

I don't disagree about Hughes coaching ability- although Peters and Bryant both looked pretty good for freshmen. It would be ideal for Hughes to just be a recruiting guru. But unfortunately taking Hughes off the field as a coach means that he can't do in homes during recruiting. So, he has to coach something. Just another reason why the NCAA sucks.

defiantdog
12-10-2015, 06:28 PM
I agree. I don't have a problem with paying guys more if they are critical to the program but what asst. coach do we have that we can't afford to lose? It's probably Hughes and that is strictly for recruiting, not his coaching. I would have absolutely have no problem with us paying our DC $1 million or more if they show they are a true cut above. Not sure I would say Manny showed that this year. Will be interesting to see what our defense does next year. Dave Wommack at OM has produced much better consistent results than any of the DCs Mullen has hired. Some of that is personnel but some of it is also scheme and in-game play calling.

Dave Wommack is also being paid $725,000 plus bonuses. And it is all personnel. I guy like Wommack doesn't just flip a switch this late in his career.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Dave Wommack is also being paid $725,000 plus bonuses. And it is all personnel. I guy like Wommack doesn't just flip a switch this late in his career.

I think time will prove you correct on this. All Nkemdiche did for the most part was free lance, so I can't really say that was anything Wommack "called" for the most part. Their numbers on defense trended down this year, granted they were so good in 2014 that was bound to happen anyway.

nicks_hammer
12-10-2015, 07:06 PM

Our OL recruiting is pedestrian at best and even with this years results I think he has done fairly well. Unless we as a program are going to make a major commitment to get in the game in all facets we are not going to improve in recruiting or in OL production. By my calculations it would take another 250,000.00 a year and the replacement of at least 3 established leeches (I mean Coaches already here). But unless our head coach is willing to do this it will not happen.