PDA

View Full Version : Article about ULM head coaching search

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 02:12 AM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/ulm/2015/11/17/ulm-coaching-hot-board/75928772/

It mentions Hevesy and among others- Reed Stringer, Jay Hopson, and Ron Roberts.

They want to have a coach in place by the end of the week per rumor.

mstatefan91
12-10-2015, 03:10 AM
One can only hope....

ScottH
12-10-2015, 03:38 AM
Please Please Please

Of course my luck he'll move Sallach to line coach

EAVdog
12-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Ha Ha, this list is a joke. Hevesy is not a candidate there.

BeastMan
12-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Hev is a candidate there. Similar deal to Matt Luke being on the Troy list last year. If I'm a ULM grad, like Neal McCready, I'm pissed at my AD if that list is remotely accurate. Pure shit when you look at the kind of coaches La Tech and ULL have.

Johnson85
12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Hev is a candidate there. Similar deal to Matt Luke being on the Troy list last year. If I'm a ULM grad, like Neal McCready, I'm pissed at my AD if that list is remotely accurate. Pure shit when you look at the kind of coaches La Tech and ULL have.

It looks pretty horrible. I don't know who Ron Roberts is, but otherwise I'd probably roll with Jay Hopson.

What is Reed Stringer doing now?

Jack Lambert
12-10-2015, 09:54 AM

When you consider who some of these big schools just hired as HC, there's just not that big of a pool to choose from.

BankerDog
12-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Rumors on campus have it that Sallach is finally moving to the office. Hev to TEs and we're bringing in a new OL coach. We'll see.

Martianlander
12-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Rumors on campus have it that Sallach is finally moving to the office. Hev to TEs and we're bringing in a new OL coach. We'll see.

Hope that's correct!!!

Coach34
12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

heard this as well- plus a defensive coach may be gone

Coach34
12-10-2015, 11:18 AM
That ULM list couldn't get a 5A coaching job in HS in La

AROB44
12-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Hope the OL coach is Steve Campbell.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 11:29 AM

The question is would he leave being a HC at an FCS school to be an OL coach at a FBS school.

scottycameron
12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Jay Hopson would be my man. Surely they can get a beeter list than that, tho. Crap, it's a D1A head coaching job.

scottycameron
12-10-2015, 11:32 AM
The question is would he leave being a HC at an FCS school to be an OL coach at a FBS school.

Please stop with the fcs fbs crap. I don't know what you are talking about and we've already learned nobody on here understands it either.

AROB44
12-10-2015, 11:33 AM

This is what I could find on his salary:
Dec 20, 2013 - Dr. Brad Teague, University of Central Arkansas' director of athletics, said Friday new football coach Steve Campbell's salary package will total $185,000 per year for four years, which includes media shows.

Wouldn't we be paying more?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Please stop with the fcs fbs crap. I don't know what you are talking about and we've already learned nobody on here understands it either.

Part of the reason I did it is because you hate it so much. Everybody knew what I meant you for some reason just hate those terms even though they've been around for a decade.

BeastMan
12-10-2015, 11:36 AM

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/10/Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-WTF-GIF.gif?gs=a

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 11:36 AM
This is what I could find on his salary:
Dec 20, 2013 - Dr. Brad Teague, University of Central Arkansas' director of athletics, said Friday new football coach Steve Campbell's salary package will total $185,000 per year for four years, which includes media shows.

Wouldn't we be paying more?

Yes. Probably around $250-300k. The question is that amount of money worth giving up control of your own program to go back down the totem pole on the coaching staff. That would be a question only Campbell could answer.

Coach34
12-10-2015, 11:40 AM
I doubt he would give that gig up to be an OL coach

Johnson85
12-10-2015, 11:44 AM

$70k a year is a big jump. I guess you are probably picking up what amounts to a second fulltime job because of recruiting though.

gtowndawg
12-10-2015, 11:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uUNR0Rp.gif

AROB44
12-10-2015, 11:52 AM

Well...it was just who came to my mind at the moment. Would like to have him though. Would be a good recruiter as well as a good coach.

DancingRabbit
12-10-2015, 11:55 AM

Hudspeth made a similar move. Ended up working out well for him.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Hudspeth made a similar move. Ended up working out well for him.

Hudspeth did have the co-coordinator title as well was looking at the possibility of becoming our coach one day. You usually only see a head coach at a lower program take an assistant coaching job at a larger program if they are going to be a coordinator and it makes the path to a bigger job more of a possibility.

Also, the McNeese St coach or Arkansas St OC are the two leading candidates

engie
12-10-2015, 12:03 PM

It's not going to be. Not under Mullen. Although I'd like to have him.

Let's not forget that moving Hev would free up the "run game coordinator" title most likely as well...

AROB44
12-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Let's not forget that moving Hev would free up the "run game coordinator" title most likely as well...

Why?

msstate7
12-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Part of the reason I did it is because you hate it so much. Everybody knew what I meant you for some reason just hate those terms even though they've been around for a decade.

msstate7
12-10-2015, 12:16 PM
$70k a year is a big jump. I guess you are probably picking up what amounts to a second fulltime job because of recruiting though.

Yeah, $5833.33 more per month... I wish I could get that raise.

Is he even interested or are we just throwing his name out there?

Coach34
12-10-2015, 12:32 PM

to leave being "the guy" to go to a position coach that gets told what to do all the time for 70K isn't worth it...it would take coordinator title to do it

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Yeah, $5833.33 more per month... I wish I could get that raise.

Is he even interested or are we just throwing his name out there?

Just a name thrown out there

engie
12-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Why?

History between the two...

And Campbell has turned down OL jobs in the SEC before. Turned down the coordinator gig at ULL too. He's obviously someone that prizes being in control over money.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM

I'd feel better if Hevesy were gone. That sounds a lot like Knox coaching special teams and I still see Dan talking to the kickers.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2015, 01:40 PM

Don't F with me. I repeat do not F with me.

basedog
12-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Let me say this about ULM, I was an assistant basketball coach at NLU late 70's early 80's. At the time NLU had a really good basketball program, John David Crow was the AD, good man and got things done. He left after a few years as HC/AD to buy a Coors Beer Distribution-Ship. When he left NLU it became what it use to be 13th grade, today it still is as La Tech kicks there ass because in Monroe the community doesn't support the school.

They will probably do what they always do, hire one of the two guys that played there and has ties with the school. It's a dead end coaching job for a HC, they need to drop a division in football, they did win a National Title being in a lower division.

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 01:54 PM

That's been the rumor since a day or two after the egg bowl. Seems like there would be some concrete actions being reported if true (interviews being reported, etc...).

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Let me say this about ULM, I was an assistant basketball coach at NLU late 70's early 80's. At the time NLU had a really good basketball program, John David Crow was the AD, good man and got things done. He left after a few years as HC/AD to buy a Coors Beer Distribution-Ship. When he left NLU it became what it use to be 13th grade, today it still is as La Tech kicks there ass because in Monroe the community doesn't support the school.

They will probably do what they always do, hire one of the two guys that played there and has ties with the school. It's a dead end coaching job for a HC, they need to drop a division in football, they did win a National Title being in a lower division.

Stan Humphries for HC!

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 02:00 PM
That's been the rumor since a day or two after the egg bowl. Seems like there would be some concrete actions being reported if true (interviews being reported, etc...).

You don't think we would until after the bowls? I mean demoting people now wouldn't really do much for the moment. They might be waiting to see if Hevesy gets this job too.

EAVdog
12-10-2015, 02:01 PM

I can promise you he is most certainly not. Another coach was a possibility of getting an interview, just as a courtesy. ULM can only pay 300k, they want a young offensive minded coordinator.

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
History between the two...

And Campbell has turned down OL jobs in the SEC before. Turned down the coordinator gig at ULL too. He's obviously someone that prizes being in control over money.

Yeah... I'd be pretty shocked if SC would ever work for CDM.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Thinking about it...

If they do demote Hevesy to TE I bet he keeps the run coordinator title.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Arkansas St OC has turned down an offer from ULM

basedog
12-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Stan Humphries for HC!

Do you have NLU ties?

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Arkansas St OC has turned down an offer from ULM

Ouch!

Johnson85
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Thinking about it...

If they do demote Hevesy to TE I bet he keeps the run coordinator title.

I would bet he would get a better title if there is one to give him that is not ridiculous. Is he or anybody else already assistant head coach? Hevesy going from OL coach and run game coordinator to TE coach and run game coordinator will look like a demotion. They've worked together long enough that I see that being a difficult thing to do. I'm guessing it would be slightly more palatable if he could save face with a new title where it would make sense that he had to reduce his role with the OL to handle his new duties.

Dawg61
12-10-2015, 02:53 PM

FBS = MSU (that's all you have to remember) that B stands for BOWLS.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I would bet he would get a better title if there is one to give him that is not ridiculous. Is he or anybody else already assistant head coach? Hevesy going from OL coach and run game coordinator to TE coach and run game coordinator will look like a demotion. They've worked together long enough that I see that being a difficult thing to do. I'm guessing it would be slightly more palatable if he could save face with a new title where it would make sense that he had to reduce his role with the OL to handle his new duties.

I think you are right and I bet this is the direction we go in with Hevesy. That way we can demote him and make it look like a promotion. It's definitely a delicate situation- and I'm wondering how Hevesy is going to take it.

I just can't see Dan just outright firing Hevesy.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Hughes is already the assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator besides safety coach.

MSUDawg99
12-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Eggggzactly! Everyone knows what that means but you! Damn. I've had this same discussion with you before if I recall.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, TCU running backs coach Curtis Luper, Alcorn State head coach Jay Hopson, Grambling State head coach Broderick Fobbs and former Tulane head coach Chris Scelfo have supposedly also interviewed. McNesse St coach is the favorite after Bell turned them down. Surprised Lashlee wouldn't be the favorite unless the money was an issue or he withdrew for consideration.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, TCU running backs coach Curtis Luper, Alcorn State head coach Jay Hopson, Grambling State head coach Broderick Fobbs and former Tulane head coach Chris Scelfo have supposedly also interviewed. McNesse St coach is the favorite after Bell turned them down. Surprised Lashlee wouldn't be the favorite unless the money was an issue or he withdrew for consideration.

Lashlee can do better than ULM.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Lashlee can do better than ULM.

If Mahlzan doesn't turn them around next year to the boards satisfaction, they both will be looking for a job and Lashlee's opportunities dwindle for HC position.