PDA

View Full Version : Crootin insiders, do we have a shot at the QB Jawon Pass from Columbus, GA?

Taog Redloh
12-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Just curious.

Westdawg
12-09-2015, 03:40 PM
i think we have both moved in different directions. There was some mutual interest from both sides several months back, but things have cooled a lot since then.

Big4Dawg
12-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Nope. but wish we would have taken his brother.

jumbo
12-09-2015, 03:47 PM
We've kept in contact and he OVd during the season, but I think he's pretty set on Louisville.

tireddawg
12-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Ask Todd. He can read people better than most

preachermatt83
12-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Had we taken his brother we would have gotten him but of course we didn't.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
At the time we chose McLaurin over Khane.

defiantdog
12-09-2015, 07:07 PM
At the time we chose McLaurin over Khane.

That move will pay off in a few years. I have a feeling Khane would have been another Sills

Boston
12-09-2015, 07:59 PM

That's good stuff!

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 08:13 PM
That move will pay off in a few years. I have a feeling Khane would have been another Sills

Time will tell. I think it depends on how good Jawon Pass is and how good McLaurin is. I love McLaurin, but I'm not sure I like him more than an Army AA QB. Especially with Peters and Bryant in the same class in terms of eligibility.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 08:14 PM

We're not getting Pass.

Big4Dawg
12-09-2015, 08:15 PM
We could have found a place for him.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2015, 08:21 PM
We could have found a place for him.

We weren't going to take 4 safeties in 1 class & that's what the # would've been at that time.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 08:34 PM
We weren't going to take 4 safeties in 1 class & that's what the # would've been at that time.

I'm assuming the fourth safety that you are talking about is Jarvis Wilson? Or are you talking about Cameron Myers? Either way, it would have been prudent to have a class with Khane Pass, Peters, and McLaurin in it at the end of the day knowing that would help us land Jawon Pass for next year. I would have us rather done that than take a project like Kendall Jones or Anfernee Mullins or a guy like Alec Murphy.

I know you are going to disagree with me on that, but the fact of the matter is Ole Miss would have offered Khane Pass, have Jawon Pass in tow right now or have a huge advantage getting him. THAT is a big reason why they recruit so well- spending scholarships on "champions" which helps them down the road- which is how their 2013 class happened in the first place. I wish we would do that with a spot or two a year ourselves.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm assuming the fourth safety that you are talking about is Jarvis Wilson? Or are you talking about Cameron Myers? Either way, it would have been prudent to have a class with Khane Pass, Peters, and McLaurin in it at the end of the day knowing that would help us land Jawon Pass for next year. I would have us rather done that than take a project like Kendall Jones or Anfernee Mullins or a guy like Alec Murphy.

I know you are going to disagree with me on that, but the fact of the matter is Ole Miss would have offered Khane Pass, have Jawon Pass in tow right now or have a huge advantage getting him. THAT is a big reason why they recruit so well- spending scholarships on "champions" which helps them down the road- which is how their 2013 class happened in the first place. I wish we would do that with a spot or two a year ourselves.

It's just not practical to sign 4 safeties.

Really Clark?
12-09-2015, 09:08 PM
We gave a scholarship last year to a player to help make signing a highly rated player easier. Don't want to do that more than once a year. And yes Pass committed in Aug to Louisville. Wilson did not decommit until Nov. I do think talks were renewed late some but I may be wrong. But at the time, it was the better decision.

Big4Dawg
12-09-2015, 09:13 PM
We gave a scholarship last year to a player to help make signing a highly rated player easier. Don't want to do that more than once a year. And yes Pass committed in Aug to Louisville. Wilson did not decommit until Nov. I do think talks were renewed late some but I may be wrong. But at the time, it was the better decision.

What player did we give to a scholarship?

Sacrifice
12-09-2015, 09:16 PM
If I'm Pass, i'm looking at Fitz and Staley and I'm thinking to myself, dude I'll probably be on the bench for at least 2 years maybe more, C-Ya!...That's how good I feel about our returning QBs.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:24 PM
It's just not practical to sign 4 safeties.

If one of them lands us a 4-5 star QB, I would consider that pretty practical.

And I'm still not seeing who the third safety was behind Peters and McLaurin.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:25 PM
What player did we give to a scholarship?

Pretty sure he is talking about Farod Green or Jonas Spivey.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM
If I'm Pass, i'm looking at Fitz and Staley and I'm thinking to myself, dude I'll probably be on the bench for at least 2 years maybe more, C-Ya!...That's how good I feel about our returning QBs.

I love Fitz and Staley too- but you can never have too many QB's.

Big4Dawg
12-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Does Peter play Wells old spot anyway?

Sacrifice
12-09-2015, 09:28 PM
I love Fitz and Staley too- but you can never have too many QB's.

Your right Todd but I don't think Pass is wanting to sit for that long and he probably shouldn't.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Does Peter play Wells old spot anyway?

Maybe- but I say no. I think Gray and Jung play Wells old spot.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2015, 09:49 PM
If one of them lands us a 4-5 star QB, I would consider that pretty practical.

And I'm still not seeing who the third safety was behind Peters and McLaurin.

Wilson was the 1st committed. Peters was committing at Big Dawg & McLaurin had told them he wanted to commit too. So Khane was told not to come bc we had 3 safeties.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Wilson was the 1st committed. Peters was committing at Big Dawg & McLaurin had told them he wanted to commit too. So Khane was told not to come bc we had 3 safeties.

Gotcha.

I wonder why we couldn't take Wilson, Peters, and then Pass and then take McLaurin after Wilson de-committed?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Gotcha.

I wonder why we couldn't take Wilson, Peters, and then Pass and then take McLaurin after Wilson de-committed?

We liked McLaurin over Khane but at the time OM was a big factor with Mark. When he said he wanted in we decided that's the guy we wanted.

Really Clark?
12-09-2015, 10:01 PM

That's right. Then Pass turned straight to his second choice and committed Aug. 1. Just a week after McLaurin. And don't forget we had Linton committed until like May??? Or so. Wilson took his spot. And we would have waited for Peters but luckily he was solid and committed at Big Dog.

BankerDog
12-09-2015, 11:35 PM

You mean Kendell Jones who was a stud at the Nike Opening or Anfernee Mullins who will be really good before he is done here? Alec Murphy has showed out in practices.

McLaurin will be a big time safety for us before everything is done. He will be a poor man's Landon Collins.

You need to stick to talking about the band and asking your uncle about baseball because you're football post lately have been beyond terrible.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 11:58 PM
You mean Kendell Jones who was a stud at the Nike Opening or Anfernee Mullins who will be really good before he is done here? Alec Murphy has showed out in practices.

McLaurin will be a big time safety for us before everything is done. He will be a poor man's Landon Collins.

You need to stick to talking about the band and asking your uncle about baseball because you're football post lately have been beyond terrible.

Yes, I would trade one of Mullins, Jones, or Alec Murphy- and even McLaurin who I really like and said should be a possible starter earlier in the season- for an Army AA QB and a back up safety.

It's not that I think that Mullins, Jones, or Murphy are bad players at all. I just believe that if we can get an Army AA QB we should do that. And I understand that because of the 25 man limit in recruiting that to get Pass in our class, someone inevitably would have to be left out- and that probably means a good prospect unfortunately. So, if wanting MSU to get an Army AA QB in the fold at the expense of a player that is a project is "beyond terrible" then forgive me.

And if you want to know why I picked those three:

As far as Jones- we have the Adams brothers, Cory Thomas, Hoyett, and now Tre Brown in the fold- and likely Nick James. Meaning he won't start for another three years.

As far as Mullins- we have Gerri Green being switched there, along with Calvin, Coleman, and now we are about to add Marquiss Spencer and hopefully Simmons as well as the fact that we return AJ Jefferson next year.

As far as Murphy- we return five backs next year including Shumpert, Holloway, Lee, and Williams, and then we have Gibson in Murphy's class plus we look to add Kylin Hill who could potentially play as a freshman as well.

And remember we could lose ONE of those players and still keep the other two. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

nicks_hammer
12-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Is there any new information about Derrick Brown, the big DT from GA with family in MS and whose parents went to State? This is one of the recruiting situations that makes me scratch my head. We have multiple natural ins with this kid. Maybe we are using them maybe not. That's the 4.275 million dollar question.

BankerDog
12-10-2015, 01:05 PM
We need to throw everything we have at Derrick Brown, Jeff Simmons, AJ Brown, Rae Davis, Kobe Jones, and Lashley. Also about Lashley, I think he is about two years from being able to play. Was hoping to see him play LT at the All-Star game this weekend, but he is playing RT. Extremely raw though, but his potential is off the charts.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 01:10 PM
We need to throw everything we have at Derrick Brown, Jeff Simmons, AJ Brown, Rae Davis, Kobe Jones, and Lashley. Also about Lashley, I think he is about two years from being able to play. Was hoping to see him play LT at the All-Star game this weekend, but he is playing RT. Extremely raw though, but his potential is off the charts.

Yea Scott needs a RS. This is his 1st full year at OL & he's an infant at pass protection. After that RS year he will be in the 2 deep & challenge for p/t as a RS Freshman. Raekwon need to get in the books bc he has a lot of work to do.

defiantdog
12-10-2015, 01:41 PM
What about Neil Callaway? If anyone knows how to coach an OL, it's him. He's currently coaching OL at Western Kentucky. He didn't leave with Petrino, so I'm not sure if he's looking to go elsewhere. But you would have to think that his experience would definitely help us.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 01:47 PM
What about Neil Callaway? If anyone knows how to coach an OL, it's him. He's currently coaching OL at Western Kentucky. He didn't leave with Petrino, so I'm not sure if he's looking to go elsewhere. But you would have to think that his experience would definitely help us.

I love Steve Campbell but our fans have to understand that there are a lot of good o-line coaches out there should we choose to demote or fire (unlikely) Hevesy. Callaway would be a good one.

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 01:48 PM

Todd's my boy, but that was funny.

Political Hack
12-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Yes, I would trade one of Mullins, Jones, or Alec Murphy- and even McLaurin who I really like and said should be a possible starter earlier in the season- for an Army AA QB and a back up safety.

It's not that I think that Mullins, Jones, or Murphy are bad players at all. I just believe that if we can get an Army AA QB we should do that. And I understand that because of the 25 man limit in recruiting that to get Pass in our class, someone inevitably would have to be left out- and that probably means a good prospect unfortunately. So, if wanting MSU to get an Army AA QB in the fold at the expense of a player that is a project is "beyond terrible" then forgive me.

And if you want to know why I picked those three:

As far as Jones- we have the Adams brothers, Cory Thomas, Hoyett, and now Tre Brown in the fold- and likely Nick James. Meaning he won't start for another three years.

As far as Mullins- we have Gerri Green being switched there, along with Calvin, Coleman, and now we are about to add Marquiss Spencer and hopefully Simmons as well as the fact that we return AJ Jefferson next year.

As far as Murphy- we return five backs next year including Shumpert, Holloway, Lee, and Williams, and then we have Gibson in Murphy's class plus we look to add Kylin Hill who could potentially play as a freshman as well.

And remember we could lose ONE of those players and still keep the other two. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Murphy may pass them all. I think he got the Friday night or scout team player of the week award multiple times this year. He was the one wearing the stud RB numbers for the scout team this year when playing LSU, Bama, etc... He's huge and a grinder. We need that really, really badly right now because Shump and Williams just aren't clicking. Williams will progress IMO, but he needs another grinder to push him. Shump needs to think about the NFL and switch to S.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 01:59 PM

But can he recruit? I thought all the complaining about Hev was his recruiting. It doesn't matter how good or bad a coach they are if they can't recruit don't hire them. At least that's seems to have been the consensus on here the last 2wks.

SallyStansbury
12-10-2015, 02:27 PM
But can he recruit? I thought all the complaining about Hev was his recruiting. It doesn't matter how good or bad a coach they are if they can't recruit don't hire them. At least that's seems to have been the consensus on here the last 2wks.

Just to clarify:

1. Lazy recruiter

2. Horrible personality (talented O-linemen recruits with multiple options almost always select the option other than having Hev as their position coach).

3. Coaching (Run game coordinator). The numbers speak for themselves this past season, but I think it was more a factor of lack of talent (see #1 and #2), predictable play calling (I'm lookin' at you man), running a 160 lb back up the gut too frequently, and being a yes man to you and NOT providing any innovation when we needed it badly.

A change is needed; I hope we get it.

defiantdog
12-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Yes, UAB was awful when he coached there. But he was Auburn's OL coach in the early to mid 80s, Alabama's in the late 90s and UGA's after that. He's always had a good OL. Now, can he get the top blue chip players in the nation? Probably not. But can he make sure our QB doesn't get sacked 9 times in a game? Probably.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes, UAB was awful when he coached there. But he was Auburn's OL coach in the early to mid 80s, Alabama's in the late 90s and UGA's after that. He's always had a good OL. Now, can he get the top blue chip players in the nation? Probably not. But can he make sure our QB doesn't get sacked 9 times in a game? Probably.

We need an elite recruiter. I know bc I read it 1000x on here. We need the blue chip players so I'll pass on this guy bc that's what I've been told.

Todd4State
12-10-2015, 02:50 PM

For me personally I don't think he's a very good coach. It just doesn't seem like our guys have been developing much for the most part. Now recruiting is definitely a big part of that too- but for me it's secondary to the actual coaching.

And as far as recruiting goes, I'd like to see both Hevesy and Sallach in the office. Replace Hevesy with a great o-line coach and replace Sallach with an elite recruiter.

Really Clark?
12-10-2015, 02:51 PM
If we are just throwing names out there. I would look at Warehime at Houston. Young, has a really good pedigree of coaches he played and worked under, including a slight connection with working under Bob Davie.