PDA

View Full Version : Quick thought / praise on USM

Maroon_and_white
12-09-2015, 01:32 PM
As much flak folks give their school / AD / Athletic department. They've done a great job of hiring 3 out of their last 4 coaches. Ellis Johnson was a dud but give them credit to canning him after 1 year. A lot of schools wouldn't have done that. I don't know who the primary voice is at USM for choosing the HC, but some of these P5 schools could save some money on big hiring firms and ask USM who they should get..

BiscuitEater
12-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Is this the same AD and staff that went from Fedora .. to Ellis Johnson .. to Monken ?

And, is it also the same AD and staff that hired Tyndall .. who, with or without AD knowledge, destroyed the USM basketball program in less than two years (illegal financial aid, grade fixing, +other lesser violations) ?

Maroon_and_white
12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Is this the same AD and staff that went from Fedora .. to Ellis Johnson .. to Monken ?

And, is it also the same AD and staff that hired Tyndall .. who, with or without AD knowledge, destroyed the USM basketball program in less than two years (illegal financial aid, grade fixing, +other lesser violations) ?

Yes. your point? All AD's make football coaching blunders (see Florida) but USM fired after 1 year and hired a hit in Monken

Jack Lambert
12-09-2015, 02:55 PM
In another year USM will be in bad shape again with 31 transfers coming in this season.

Taog Redloh
12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Playing the C-USA, and like another poster said, Monken put together a patchwork of players. It won't last. I still say Louisiana and South Alabama will end up cutting off their talent supply lines.

BiscuitEater
12-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes. your point? All AD's make football coaching blunders (see Florida) but USM fired after 1 year and hired a hit in Monken

My question was quite simple .. was it the same AD and staff at USM that made the hires I mentioned? I seriously didn't know and you said it was. While I understand the praise for hiring Fedora and Monken .. they also deserve ridicule for the Ellis Johnson and Tyndall hires .. both hires set the programs back ~3 years .. can't just praise a department when, at best, they are hitting on 50%.

Johnson85
12-09-2015, 03:44 PM
My question was quite simple .. was it the same AD and staff at USM that made the hires I mentioned? I seriously didn't know and you said it was. While I understand the praise for hiring Fedora and Monken .. they also deserve ridicule for the Ellis Johnson and Tyndall hires .. both hires set the programs back ~3 years .. can't just praise a department when, at best, they are hitting on 50%.

Was something known about Tyndall when they hired him? I'm thinking that was a slam dunk hire that turned out bad in hindsight.