PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks power 5 jobs in terms of ease of recruiting

Outside Dawg
12-09-2015, 01:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14312923/college-football-easiest-toughest-recruiting-jobs-1-65

thf24
12-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Alabama all the way down at #6 despite having classes between 1 and 3 every year makes me wonder, how much of their recruiting success is Bama and how much is Saban? I'm interested to see if whoever they get next can sustain it after Saban calls it quits.

defiantdog
12-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Stanford should barely be in the top 50. Academics alone, hinder them.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-09-2015, 02:17 PM
it's "EASE OF RECRUITING" not recruiting success.

Political Hack
12-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Seems like a decent list. May be the first list I've ever said that about coming from ESPN.

Thought Nebraska should be higher but that's it

Bothrops
12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Cal over us?? It's in a picturesque area and all, but what real advantages do they have over us?

Johnson85
12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Seems like a decent list. May be the first list I've ever said that about coming from ESPN.

Thought Nebraska should be higher but that's it

It's decent, but it really should be done with a lot of in tiers rather than numerical. UF and FSU should be in teh same tier (they are at least ranked right next to each other) and when you get further down, the groupings should probably be bigger.

smootness
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Georgia at #1 is so stupid. Sure, they're up there, but GA certainly does not have the most in-state talent, and while they have a lot, so many kids from GA grow up fans of other schools. It is much harder, for example, to keep the top kids in GA than it is to keep the top kids from places like AL and MS in-state.

Texas, Florida, and USC should be at the top of this list every single time. Period. And Ohio State shouldn't be far behind. All of those schools should be clearly ahead of Georgia.

smootness
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Cal over us?? It's in a picturesque area and all, but what real advantages do they have over us?

Location and access to a ridiculous amount of good in-state talent.

chef dixon
12-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Oklahoma State and TCU ahead of Ole Miss is just laughable.

Bothrops
12-09-2015, 04:46 PM

You mean the talent that Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, USC, etc get.

smootness
12-09-2015, 05:20 PM
You mean the talent that Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, USC, etc get.

Sure, but a good coach could change that. It would be easier for a good coach to get talent to Cal than for a good coach to get talent to State.

maroonmania
12-09-2015, 05:55 PM

One factor not being factored in enough though is in-state loyalty. The top recruits in AL are probably the most loyal to the in state schools of any state in the nation. Georgia, not nearly as much.

Churchill
12-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Funny how THE national sports network has a much higher opinion of our school`s potential to recruit well and be successful in football than our inferiority complex riddled fan base. If this article is anywhere near accurate, what it says is Mullen has done no more than to simply help the school realize most of it`s potential rather than being it`s savior who invented football at MSU. This isn`t a fire Mullen post by any means but I just wish our fan base would wake up and realize that our school has a lot to offer and has been a sleeping giant for a long time and that DAN MULLEN IS NOT THE ONLY DAMN COACH IN THE COUNTRY THAT CAN BE SUCCESSFUL AT MSU. HAIL STATE and get off my lawn !

edited to add: Dan awakened the giant and for that I am eternally grateful...but by damn the potential has always been there IMO

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Funny how THE national sports network has a much higher opinion of our school`s potential to recruit well and be successful in football than our inferiority complex riddled fan base. If this article is anywhere near accurate, what it says is Mullen has done no more than to simply help the school realize most of it`s potential rather than being it`s savior who invented football at MSU. This isn`t a fire Mullen post by any means but I just wish our fan base would wake up and realize that our school has a lot to offer and has been a sleeping giant for a long time and that DAN MULLEN IS NOT THE ONLY DAMN COACH IN THE COUNTRY THAT CAN BE SUCCESSFUL AT MSU. HAIL STATE and get off my lawn !

edited to add: Dan awakened the giant and for that I am eternally grateful...but by damn the potential has always been there IMO

HAIL STATE to your post. And I will stay off of your lawn.

If you are afraid to change, you are afraid to get better.

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Georgia at #1 is so stupid. Sure, they're up there, but GA certainly does not have the most in-state talent, and while they have a lot, so many kids from GA grow up fans of other schools. It is much harder, for example, to keep the top kids in GA than it is to keep the top kids from places like AL and MS in-state.

Texas, Florida, and USC should be at the top of this list every single time. Period. And Ohio State shouldn't be far behind. All of those schools should be clearly ahead of Georgia.

The guy that came up with the list also factored in the fact that they are next to Florida as well.

nicks_hammer
12-09-2015, 07:33 PM
I agree with the assessment for the most part. Georgia enjoys location as was mentioned earlier. I would have LSU higher due to the loyalty of instate kids. The fact that we are in the SEC and are in a talent rich state although it is shared should place us higher on this list. I would say yearly potential is around 17 - 21. The sales pitch does seem to be lacking but I can't argue with the results. We all knew that this year would be a work in progress or a rebuilding year. If you didn't you use maroon colored glasses.

TUSK
12-09-2015, 07:55 PM

I'd have UGA waaaaaaaaaaaay up the list... I do agree about [historical] TX/OSU, and USC though... the MS schools are a bit high, IMO...

nicks_hammer
12-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Tusk, might I ask on a per capita basis how many NFL players does MISSISSIPPI produce a year and how many does al produce?

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Tusk, might I ask on a per capita basis how many NFL players does MISSISSIPPI produce a year and how many does al produce?

Yep- we have lots of athletes. The biggest thing we lack are QB's and o-linemen- two of the positions that arguably require the most development. And even at those two positions we have produced some really good ones over the years.

nicks_hammer
12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Here is a quick reference for ya. http://fansided.com/2014/08/04/states-produce-nfl-players-per-capita/

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Here is a quick reference for ya. http://fansided.com/2014/08/04/states-produce-nfl-players-per-capita/

Very interesting- and it seems to back up my thoughts that we should go and recruit in Louisiana more and Alabama less than we do. My thought on that was simply because of the fact that in Alabama you are competing with BOTH Alabama and Auburn whereas in Louisiana it's only LSU. I think we are doing a better job recruiting in Louisiana lately which is good to see.

Also, interesting- Washington D.C. as they mentioned I would not have thought of that area being as high as it rated. We do have an alumni group there- so maybe we can get some avenues and connections. Hawaii is intriguing as well. And possibly a good place to find some o-linemen.

nicks_hammer
12-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Hawaii, don't forget about the Samoans or people of Polynesian heritage. They are generally on the larger side. Yeah I based an assumption on a racial norm so sue me.

smootness
12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
The guy that came up with the list also factored in the fact that they are next to Florida as well.

And Florida is next to Georgia...

Todd4State
12-09-2015, 09:42 PM
And Florida is next to Georgia...

And had three major schools competing for the talent. All Georgia has is Georgia Tech.

TUSK
12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
And had three major schools competing for the talent. All Georgia has is Georgia Tech.

yup...

In the last several years, I've noticed a decrease in Bammer signees from AL & MS and an increase in those from LA and GA... and a bit from FL/elsewhere...

Liverpooldawg
12-10-2015, 11:28 AM

I saw an article about two months ago that said Georgia has passed Florida as a recruiting hot bed. Georgia has more talent than you think.

Liverpooldawg
12-10-2015, 11:32 AM

We have made a quantum leap in facilities under Mullen. That has finally got us in the game. The problem is it only got us in the pack. It didn't put us ahead of it.

Liverpooldawg
12-10-2015, 11:35 AM

That's the thing, when Mississippians talk athletic talent in state we always refer to the per capita stats. Alabama has twice our population. The rest of the SEC states are even bigger.

maroonmania
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
That's the thing, when Mississippians talk athletic talent in state we always refer to the per capita stats. Alabama has twice our population. The rest of the SEC states are even bigger.

Look at the bright side, MS is still slightly ahead of Arkansas in population.