PDA

View Full Version : I wish the Egg Bowl would be played on Thanksgiven.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 09:49 AM
I think our guys lose focus going home for the holiday.

TrapGame
12-08-2015, 09:52 AM
I wish Mullen would put the clock back up and change the entry code for the door to the score.

Valyrian Steel
12-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Seemed only one team lost focus. I wish I knew why that was.

MetEdDawg
12-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I wish Mullen would put the clock back up and change the entry code for the door to the score.

This and only this. We need to not lose sight of some things guys. These kids put in a crap ton of work and preparation all year. If we think a day or two home with family is the difference between getting our ass kicked and winning, then we've lost objectivity about some stuff. You think potentially being in the playoffs and going 11-1 wasn't on our minds last year? You think going 9-3 and getting to the Sugar Bowl wasn't on our minds this year? Of course it was. And that's the problem. We should be thinking about the game, not the future and we got caught up too much. Mullen fielded questions all week last year about the playoff picture and all that and I guarantee that spilled over into practice and preparation. It should have been completely on the Egg Bowl and he should have said that publicly from Sunday after Vandy through the game.

The difference in rivalry games when talent is fairly equal is emphasis. We won Egg Bowls we shouldn't have and blew OM out when we emphasized the importance of the Egg Bowl. That is no longer the case. Mullen says we've moved on to bigger things. There isn't much more that's bigger for our program's history than a shot at the playoffs or the Sugar Bowl and all of that rode on the outcome of the Egg Bowl. That's why you emphasize it from day 1. It keeps the drive all season, it gives you something to continually work towards, and it also prepares you mentally for the time where that game actually has meaning for us but you can devote all of your attention to the game itself. It didn't really have meaning the first few years Mullen was here except for pride. But the last 3 years it was for bowl eligibility, a very real shot at the playoffs, and the Sugar Bowl.

The emphasis needs to return. These guys need to be reminded every day that they've lost 3 of 4. They need to be reminded that this game now has national implications for our program. The emphasis has to return because not only does the Egg Bowl mean something for us, it means something to OM too. Return the emphasis and the reminders and I think the attitude on our end in the game will change.

Political Hack
12-08-2015, 10:19 AM
This and only this. We need to not lose sight of some things guys. These kids put in a crap ton of work and preparation all year. If we think a day or two home with family is the difference between getting our ass kicked and winning, then we've lost objectivity about some stuff. You think potentially being in the playoffs and going 11-1 wasn't on our minds last year? You think going 9-3 and getting to the Sugar Bowl wasn't on our minds this year? Of course it was. And that's the problem. We should be thinking about the game, not the future and we got caught up too much. Mullen fielded questions all week last year about the playoff picture and all that and I guarantee that spilled over into practice and preparation. It should have been completely on the Egg Bowl and he should have said that publicly from Sunday after Vandy through the game.

The difference in rivalry games when talent is fairly equal is emphasis. We won Egg Bowls we shouldn't have and blew OM out when we emphasized the importance of the Egg Bowl. That is no longer the case. Mullen says we've moved on to bigger things. There isn't much more that's bigger for our program's history than a shot at the playoffs or the Sugar Bowl and all of that rode on the outcome of the Egg Bowl. That's why you emphasize it from day 1. It keeps the drive all season, it gives you something to continually work towards, and it also prepares you mentally for the time where that game actually has meaning for us but you can devote all of your attention to the game itself. It didn't really have meaning the first few years Mullen was here except for pride. But the last 3 years it was for bowl eligibility, a very real shot at the playoffs, and the Sugar Bowl.

The emphasis needs to return. These guys need to be reminded every day that they've lost 3 of 4. They need to be reminded that this game now has national implications for our program. The emphasis has to return because not only does the Egg Bowl mean something for us, it means something to OM too. Return the emphasis and the reminders and I think the attitude on our end in the game will change.

Solid.

Dawgtini
12-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Excellent post. Couldn't be said any better.

TrapGame
12-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Damn, that's spot on.

biscuit
12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Yes Sir.... Exactly right

PassInterference
12-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Did Ole Miss play the game on a different date than us via some warping of the space time continuum?

We needs to sack up and play the damn game.

klong-dog
12-08-2015, 11:21 AM
It was night and day the last two years. They've come out hitting the hell out of us and we had no response all night long. Definitely too soft, miss the physicality of our MSU teams. Though I do like the improvement at the skill pos's mainly at wideout.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Does our OL get magically better if they don't go home for thanksgiving?

This is just so silly.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Does our OL get magically better if they don't go home for thanksgiving?

This is just so silly.

Freeze didn't let his guys go home and they seemed more focus then our guys.

NCDawg
12-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Possibility that their DL beating the hell out of our OL might have had something to do with our getting beat.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Do you really believe this? More focused? So if our OL is "more focused" the somehow become stronger, have better feet and more talented?

They were the better team. Clearly the better team. No amount of "focus", "flatness", "motivation" or "leadership" was going to make our team magically better. They were the better team, the faster our fanbase accepts this, the easier it will be to accept.

Percho
12-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Do you really believe this? More focused? So if our OL is "more focused" the somehow become stronger, have better feet and more talented?

They were the better team. Clearly the better team. No amount of "focus", "flatness", "motivation" or "leadership" was going to make our team magically better. They were the better team, the faster our fanbase accepts this, the easier it will be to accept.

There are others factors that go into winning other than who is the better team. I would venture to say Om was the better team in their games against Memphis and Arky also. The better team doesn't always win. I believe the more motivated team wins.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Awesome. You just said everything I wanted to say about the Egg Bowl. It's all about the focus on the game and rivalries are different animals.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Our guys did not seem focus and I am just trying to see why. That's all. This is where I am different than you. I don't think they are a better team. They just played better with more focus. Hell even Dak had to costly turn overs.

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Two first quarter turnovers. Not sure that the day the game was played made any difference. Sometimes, it's just a careless nanosecond or an odd bounce of the ball. Even though the second to led directly to a touchdown, I think the first may have hurt us more. We were driving and establishing our offense, only to stop ourselves rudely and suddenly.

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2015, 01:56 PM

I pretty much see it like this, though not so "clearly" because I'm not a hundred percent on it. I believe we have a chance if we eliminate the turnovers.

Dawgface
12-08-2015, 02:13 PM
No to Thanksgiving day for me. I want to enjoy the day without the butt whipping.

BeardoMSU
12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
No to Thanksgiving day for me. I want to enjoy the day without the butt whipping.

Hear, hear, lol.

We lost guys. And it wasn't because our guys had stomachs full of turkey 'n dressing.

sleepy dawg
12-08-2015, 02:27 PM

I wish we played on Thanksgiving too, but it has nothing to do with our guys losing focus. Just how long do you think these guys have uninterrupted focus for anyway? The average 20 year old has an attention span of about 20 minutes. Over focus causes fatigue as well. Breaks are needed from focus while preparing to achieve maximum results in what you are preparing for, and this has been proven time and time again.