PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting. This may be worthless

drummerdawg
12-07-2015, 10:43 PM
...and I might have wasted my time. But I did some figuring on 4* and 5* recruits.

This past week I've been reading a lot on how disappointed everyone is with our recruiting efforts and while I don't have a reason for that, I do think we can definitely do better regional recruiting and probably national too. It seems our coaches and probably some fans think that we can't go in to other states and get some quality recruits, they seem to think we need to stick to MS and just hope something else falls in our lap. Well that's not exactly how it is or should work. Of course we should focus on MS and make it a top priority, but that doesn't mean we can't put effort elsewhere too. I know we've gotten some "out of staters" and we've actually done pretty well in Alabama, but there are so many other recruits out there to be looked at. Last year (using 247 composite) there were 174 4* and 5* recruits in what I consider to be regional recruiting areas, these include MS, TX, LA, AL, TN, GA, and FL. These states are loaded with talent and there are plenty of them to go around.

State - 4* & 5* recruits

TX - 47
LA - 13
AL - 12
GA - 34
FL - 50
TN - 11
MS - 7
Total: 174, 4* & 5* recruits

TX - 51
LA - 18
AL - 7
GA - 27
FL - 49
TN -7
MS - 10
Totals: 169, 4* & 5* recruits

I took the major schools and added up how many 4* and 5* recruits they kept that was from their home state.

Last year (2015) 174 4* & 5* recruits

State of TX: 47 = 4* & 5*
UT, A&M, TT, Baylor, TCU
Totals: 31 leftovers 16

State of LA: 13
LSU - 8
Total: 8 leftovers 5

State of AL: 12
Bama & Aub - 10
Totals: 10 leftovers 2

State of GA: 34
UGA & GT - 9
Totals: 9 leftovers 25

State of FL: 50
UF, FSU, & Miami - 18
Totals: 18 leftovers 32

State of TN: 11
UT, Memphis, & Vandy - 6
Totals: 6 leftovers 5

Total playing for major home state team = 82
Total leftovers = 92

That's 92 highly recruited guys that were left for anyone else. That means State only has to fight off smaller in-state schools or other out of state schools for those remaining 92. For comparison sake, these are some of the schools that are picking up the remaining top recruits out of these states that I think MSU can compete with...

UCLA, OM, and Michigan St all got 4 & 5* commitments from Texas.

Oregon, TCU, and Ok St got them from Louisiana.

Oregon, Om, and Wisconsin pulled some from Georgia.

OM, West Virginia, North Carolina, Ark, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, and Maryland all pulled top recruits from FLorida.

OM and Illinois both picked up some from Tennessee.

We've done ok in Alabama.

The last two years (I know things can change for this year but this is how it stands now)
TX:
OM 2
MSU 0

LA:
OM 0
MSU 0

AL:
MSU 1
OM 0

GA:
OM 2
MSU 0

FL:
OM 1
MSU 0

TN:
OM 2
MSU 0

Totals:
OM 7
MSU 1

This may not mean too much but it sounded cool to do at the time. Anyway with all that said, I think we definitely can do more than we are in recruiting.

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Don't tow the same dumb party line.

TX, FL and GA have a bunch of recruits, yes. But the whole damn country recruits them. There aren't "enough to go around". No, the ticket for us is AL and LA, where the rest of the country cannot recruit easily.

If you want to figure out how to get better players, you have to figure out how to beat other schools. There aren't an geographic areas that are untapped. Maybe Europe or Australia I guess. Either that or innovate. I still say we don't use the JUCOs effectively.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 10:54 PM
thank you for the research

Coach34
12-07-2015, 10:58 PM
I still say we don't use the JUCOs effectively.

I could beat to death your other points- but I'll focus here:

Jucos cant get on the field for us for over a half a year for the most part.

We signed the #1 juco OT- and he couldnt even win a spot on our craptastic OL this year
Slay became a 2nd round pick for us- hardly played as a Jr

Apparently our system takes people so long to learn- nobody can pick it up their 1st year. We need MENSA recruits to get our system

SDDawg
12-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I think we should be recruiting AR and MO more than we do as well. The point is clear though, when you make MS and AL your main recruiting areas there aren't enough 4 and 5* players to go around. Gotta widen the net and hire coaches that can recruit in those areas.

drummerdawg
12-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Don't tow the same dumb party line.

TX, FL and GA have a bunch of recruits, yes. But the whole damn country recruits them. There aren't "enough to go around". No, the ticket for us is AL and LA, where the rest of the country cannot recruit easily.

If you want to figure out how to get better players, you have to figure out how to beat other schools. There aren't an geographic areas that are untapped. Maybe Europe or Australia I guess. Either that or innovate. I still say we don't use the JUCOs effectively.

That's kinda my point though. There is a ton of talent in these states we should have a shot at. If Maryland and Virginia Tech among others can do it we should too. Yes other big schools recruit everywhere but I didn't even add up all the recruits outside of this region that we could even go after. Something's got to change and there is no excuse when we are surrounded by this much talent in the south/south east.

SDDawg
12-07-2015, 11:03 PM
We need MENSA recruits to get our system

Obviously that's not it, is it that we have the wrong expectation on how guys will develop and learn? Are we giving players meaningful reps early enough to learn from? Is this a case of being too conservative?

drummerdawg
12-07-2015, 11:04 PM
I think we should be recruiting AR and MO more than we do as well. The point is clear though, when you make MS and AL your main recruiting areas there aren't enough 4 and 5* players to go around. Gotta widen the net and hire coaches that can recruit in those areas.

I looked in to Arkansas but they don't seem to hardly have any highly rated guys and the few they do they go to UPig.

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 11:06 PM
I could beat to death your other points
Dude, NO, you really can't. This really isn't your day to be calling out other people's logic, especially mine.

We need MORE JUCOs, period. You really use DARIUS FREAKING SLAY to make the point that we don't? No wait, you're just doing that to further your shiny new anti-Mullen agenda. We had a crowded backfield in 2011, remember a guy named Charles Mitchell?

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 11:07 PM
That's kinda my point though. There is a ton of talent in these states we should have a shot at. If Maryland and Virginia Tech among others can do it we should too. Yes other big schools recruit everywhere but I didn't even add up all the recruits outside of this region that we could even go after. Something's got to change and there is no excuse when we are surrounded by this much talent in the south/south east.
Yeah but it's not enough for us to have an advantage. That's my issue with it. We probably disagree on this, but I think the conventional 'go out and get better players' isn't really the way for MSU. It's not like we haven't tried that. Ole Miss tried it, and the best they got was 9-3.

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 11:08 PM
You have done bumped your head. There isn't even enough talent in AR for one school to field a team.

drummerdawg
12-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Yeah but it's not enough for us to have an advantage. That's my issue with it. We probably disagree on this, but I think the conventional 'go out and get better players' isn't really the way for MSU. It's not like we haven't tried that. Ole Miss tried it, and the best they got was 9-3.

Different coaches though. Our coaches are known for developing players which is not the case in Oxford. I personally would like to see what we could do when starting with more talent. Maybe it wont work but I guarantee you there are at least two or three 4* o-linemen out there that wouldn't mind playing for State. We just need to find them and we can't find them only looking in two or three states.

Bothrops
12-07-2015, 11:22 PM
We don't use the juco system effectively, and we don't recruit Texas or Florida very successfully.

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Different coaches though. Our coaches are known for developing players which is not the case in Oxford. I personally would like to see what we could do when starting with more talent. Maybe it wont work but I guarantee you there are at least two or three 4* o-linemen out there that wouldn't mind playing for State. We just need to find them and we can't find them only looking in two or three states.
I'm all for that. It really seems like we need to go outside MS for most of our offensive talent, except maybe tailback. I just don't know that any one place has the secret sauce.

SDDawg
12-07-2015, 11:27 PM
You have done bumped your head. There isn't even enough talent in AR for one school to field a team.

I checked the stats and you're right - not nearly enough talent in either MO or AR to justify much investment in either. I expected more, especially from MO but the stars aren't there.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Obviously that's not it, is it that we have the wrong expectation on how guys will develop and learn? Are we giving players meaningful reps early enough to learn from? Is this a case of being too conservative?

That's a nice way of saying it. It's honestly like Dan looks at the roster and just starts the seniors and then fills in the holes with whomever is a junior. Regardless of anything else. There's no way in hell that are juniors and seniors ALWAYS look better than every freshman and sophomore in practice.

Dan has to learn how to trust younger player in some cases- and at the very least he needs to try to get them more playing time early. Like 10-15 reps in game one.

I think Westin Graves vs. Devon Bell is a good example of this. Graves was kicking well- but when the game was on the line Dan preferred to go with the older kicker despite a history of not performing as well and not having attempted a FG in two seasons.

Tbonewannabe
12-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Dude, NO, you really can't. This really isn't your day to be calling out other people's logic, especially mine.

We need MORE JUCOs, period. You really use DARIUS FREAKING SLAY to make the point that we don't? No wait, you're just doing that to further your shiny new anti-Mullen agenda. We had a crowded backfield in 2011, remember a guy named Charles Mitchell?

You do realize Charles Mitchell was a safety and Slay was a corner.

Coach34
12-08-2015, 07:07 AM

was does Charles Mitchell playing safety have to do with Slay playing CB? Corey Broomfield was keeping Slay off the field. The same Corey Broomfield we moved to Safety to put Slay at CB his Sr year.

Jucos don't get on the field for us for the most part until deep in their 1st season or 2nd season

engie
12-08-2015, 08:10 AM
And how long before we have trouble recruiting Juco because we are redshirting them all and/or waiting two years to allow them to earn their rightful slots? I'd argue that we are already seeing issues here...

mic
12-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Recruit Texas more.... It's that simple...

FISHDAWG
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I checked the stats and you're right - not nearly enough talent in either MO or AR to justify much investment in either. I expected more, especially from MO but the stars aren't there.

wasn't Murphy close to being the top RB (if not #1) in Mizzou ?

Taog Redloh
12-08-2015, 08:54 AM
That's a nice way of saying it. It's honestly like Dan looks at the roster and just starts the seniors and then fills in the holes with whomever is a junior. Regardless of anything else. There's no way in hell that are juniors and seniors ALWAYS look better than every freshman and sophomore in practice.

Dan has to learn how to trust younger player in some cases- and at the very least he needs to try to get them more playing time early. Like 10-15 reps in game one.

I think Westin Graves vs. Devon Bell is a good example of this. Graves was kicking well- but when the game was on the line Dan preferred to go with the older kicker despite a history of not performing as well and not having attempted a FG in two seasons.
Do you all just conveniently forget all the guys that DO play for us as 1st and 2nd year players?

Fletcher Cox
Chad Bumphis
Chris Smith
Gabe Jackson
Johnthan Banks
Chris Jones
Nickoe Whitley
Blaine Clausell
Taveze Calhoun
Bernardrick McKinney

What about all the JUCOs that DID play early, because they were worth a sh*t?

Chris White
Pernell McPhee
Denico Autry
Charles Siddoway

So what if they are conservative? By and large they are making the right decisions. You are cherry-picking and have a short memory. We've also seen that sometimes it's an attitude problem, like Josh Robinson. There's always a reason.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 09:04 AM

JWS built a SEC west championship team with JUCO however in 2000 he signed a big class of them and it flopped and he had no depth. You can do it but once you start you have to keep on doing it due to no depth. Now to JWS defense the SEC changed the transfer rules after he sign that class and could not get most of them on campus until the fall. So they miss all of Spring training and summer work outs.

Johnson85
12-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Do you all just conveniently forget all the guys that DO play for us as 1st and 2nd year players?

Fletcher Cox
Chad Bumphis
Chris Smith
Gabe Jackson
Johnthan Banks
Chris Jones
Nickoe Whitley
Blaine Clausell
Taveze Calhoun
Bernardrick McKinney

Chris White
Pernell McPhee
Denico Autry
Charles Siddoway

So what if they are conservative? By and large they are making the right decisions. You are cherry-picking and have a short memory. We've also seen that sometimes it's an attitude problem, like Josh Robinson. There's always a reason.

The vast, vast majority of those players were early on in Mullen's career and at positions where we had glaring needs. I think the whole Mullen favors seniors thing is overblown, but we definitely have a problem not getting enough production out of players. Only getting a season of CB play from Slay was really bad. Robinson looked bad, but in hindsight, the coaches probably had good reasons. What we've done at RB this year looks really bad. We clearly didn't have an SEC back ready to play. Unless we find out that Aeris was really screwing up off the field, then not getting him snaps early and having an SEC back for the second half of the season was awful.

We also seemed to spend almost a full year with a player that was never going to have time to be an adequate LT. It really doesn't make sense that we stuck with Warren so long. If you're going to be completely inadequate at a position, be inadequate with a younger player (except for QB and maybe DB, where you can ruin a players confidence).

tcdog70
12-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Half the State of MO. doesn't even play football.

defiantdog
12-08-2015, 10:16 AM
And how long before we have trouble recruiting Juco because we are redshirting them all and/or waiting two years to allow them to earn their rightful slots? I'd argue that we are already seeing issues here...
Completely agree.... I think Gray saw the field a good bit this year though. But Mullen rarely plays the sink or swim scenario. Hutch didn't play till the end of the season because Johnson was better. It's almost like Mullen only played Hutch because he was about to graduate. I think Johnson is the better blocker and definitely better receiver, but he has 3 years left. Basically, we have one main issue. Our JUCO guys simply can't beat the tenure guys on the team for some reason.

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2015, 10:17 AM
The vast, vast majority of those players were early on in Mullen's career and at positions where we had glaring needs. I think the whole Mullen favors seniors thing is overblown, but we definitely have a problem not getting enough production out of players. Only getting a season of CB play from Slay was really bad. Robinson looked bad, but in hindsight, the coaches probably had good reasons. What we've done at RB this year looks really bad. We clearly didn't have an SEC back ready to play. Unless we find out that Aeris was really screwing up off the field, then not getting him snaps early and having an SEC back for the second half of the season was awful.

We also seemed to spend almost a full year with a player that was never going to have time to be an adequate LT. It really doesn't make sense that we stuck with Warren so long. If you're going to be completely inadequate at a position, be inadequate with a younger player (except for QB and maybe DB, where you can ruin a players confidence).

Ok - so lets see some more recent
DeRunnya Wilson
Logan Cooke
Fred Ross
Fred Brown
Donald Gray
Gabe Myles
Joe Morrow
Justin Johnson
Kivon Coman
Richie Brown
Bennie Brown
Brandon Bryant
JT Gray
Gerri Green
Tolando Cleveland
Deontay Evans
Johnathan Calvin
Jamal Peters
Nelson Adams
Jamoral Graham
Mark McLaurin
Kendrick Market
Malik Dear
Brandon Holloway
Aeris Williams
Dontavian Lee
Ashton Shumpert
Nick Fitzgerald
Dak Prescott
Will Coleman - Juco 1st year

All of these players currently on the roster played in 5 or more games as either FR or RFR or a 1st year JUCO (we really don't have many on the team from JUCOS right now).
Now, you can argue that they haven't been used effectively, the argument that we don't use 1st or 2nd year players in the program doesn't fly.

tcdog70
12-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Fletcher Cox
Chad Bumphis
Chris Smith
Gabe Jackson
Johnthan Banks
Chris Jones
Nickoe Whitley
Blaine Clausell
Taveze Calhoun
Bernardrick McKinney

Chris White
Pernell McPhee
Denico Autry
Charles Siddoway

what about-Vic Ballard- Carman-Tyson Lee-the Big tackle from Holmes-Slay-Leon Berry.--the Center from Gulf Coast didn't start but he was a solid backup. JUCOs don't have to be stars but they do need to be good depth. If we spent more time evaluating JUCOs we could sign at least 6 a year. Hutcherson-Coleman both played well this year. i wish we would hire Steve Campbell and I'll bet our JUCO recruiting would vastly improve.

defiantdog
12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
wasn't Murphy close to being the top RB (if not #1) in Mizzou ?

He was the #1 RB in MO, but I don't think that has much credibility. MO isn't the best recruiting pipeline though.

Political Hack
12-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Mitchell was a S. Slay was a CB.

We do take too long to get Jucos ready. Gray didn't play enough. #1 Juco OT redshirted on the worst OL in the Mullen era. Slay, didn't hardly play as a JR. Hutch, still waiting for him to explode (and he's damn well capable of it).

And... Joey Trapp.

However, I do agree we need to do a better job filling holes with Juco guys. We just need to prioritize getting them ready once they get to campus.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2015, 10:30 AM

Yep, I know for an absolute fact that juco kids at both PRRC and MGCCC have noticed this trend.

Political Hack
12-08-2015, 10:31 AM
If you look more closely at the states that border MS, there are almost no "leftovers" to go after. We're the one school in the southeast that's inconveniently stuck right between TX and FL and GA just far enough away from all 3 to turn mommas off.

We have to dominate MS, squeeze a handful out of LA, AL, and TN. Get 1-2 from ATL or GA, FL, and TX each year. And then fill gaps with Jucos.

I see the splits somewhere like this:
MS: 10-15 depending on the year
LA: 2-3
AL: 3-4
TN: 2-3
GA/FL/TX: 2-3
Juco: Select few for depth and immediately challenging for snaps

CarolinaDawgs
12-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Recruit Texas more.... It's that simple...

Texas *'s are so damn lousy... SO biased based on them thinking High School Football is best thing since sliced bread.

Rather have GA *'s or any other in the Southeast to be honest.

You seriously just get an extra * for being in Texas. There are Math Teachers that have 1* in that state.

Taog Redloh
12-08-2015, 01:10 PM
If you look more closely at the states that border MS, there are almost no "leftovers" to go after. We're the one school in the southeast that's inconveniently stuck right between TX and FL and GA just far enough away from all 3 to turn mommas off.

We have to dominate MS, squeeze a handful out of LA, AL, and TN. Get 1-2 from ATL or GA, FL, and TX each year. And then fill gaps with Jucos.

I see the splits somewhere like this:
MS: 10-15 depending on the year
LA: 2-3
AL: 3-4
TN: 2-3
GA/FL/TX: 2-3
Juco: Select few for depth and immediately challenging for snaps
If we don't start getting more JUCO talent (and I emphasize TALENT, not just bodies), then we are going to fail. We have enough of a test segment to conclude that just 'plugging holes' with JUCO guys will not work. We need to recruit the JUCOs for MEN.

You can't just do the same things at MSU that they do everywhere else. Ask Kansas State.

Taog Redloh
12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Texas *'s are so damn lousy... SO biased based on them thinking High School Football is best thing since sliced bread.

You seriously just get an extra * for being in Texas. There are Math Teachers that have 1* in that state.
Agree. Definitely overrated.

Taog Redloh
12-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Engie and Hancockdawg, that is because our approach to JUCO recrootin SUCKS. Even Croom did this better. We simply aren't getting the best guys, and that's why they sit the bench. The guys I listed above did not sit the bench, and they were crucial to our success.

Hevesy's attitude don't help either.

Johnson85
12-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Ok - so lets see some more recent
DeRunnya Wilson
Logan Cooke
Fred Ross
Fred Brown
Donald Gray
Gabe Myles
Joe Morrow
Justin Johnson
Kivon Coman
Richie Brown
Bennie Brown
Brandon Bryant
JT Gray
Gerri Green
Tolando Cleveland
Deontay Evans
Johnathan Calvin
Jamal Peters
Nelson Adams
Jamoral Graham
Mark McLaurin
Kendrick Market
Malik Dear
Brandon Holloway
Aeris Williams
Dontavian Lee
Ashton Shumpert
Nick Fitzgerald
Dak Prescott
Will Coleman - Juco 1st year

All of these players currently on the roster played in 5 or more games as either FR or RFR or a 1st year JUCO (we really don't have many on the team from JUCOS right now).
Now, you can argue that they haven't been used effectively, the argument that we don't use 1st or 2nd year players in the program doesn't fly.

I intended to caveat that with are NFL talent but forgot. Chris Jones and Derunya both would have played at any point in Dan's career and regardless of whether we had a glaring need. But looking at your list, it seems pretty clear that your filter of "played in 5 or more games as either a FR or RFR or a 1st year JUCO" is way too broad. Dontavian Lee, for example, barely had any meaningful time this year. Aeris did, but at the same time we were terrible at RB and he and DLee were the only guys that looked to be physically capable of being primary backs in the SEC. If both of them weren't kept off the field by disciplinary problems (and real ones, not just understandable 19 year old immaturity that can be disciplined with extra sprints and stuff), that was a huge fail to not try to get either of them read in the first half of the season so that we could have a legit SEC back in the second half. Malik Dear was not used nearly enough this year, but presumably that was because of injuries. If not, that was a huge fail to not utilize one of our few guys that could be a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Some of it is not a question of playing guys, but seems to be a problem with getting them ready in a reasonable amount of time. For example, we were really bad at safety. Kivon Coman is not good. Brandon Bryant has all the measurables to be better. Is he just like Cox and not football players despite his athletic ability? Or is our defensive scheme really so complicated that a RS freshman can't be trusted at the beginning of the year? Or were Mullen and Diaz simply too reluctant to let Bryant play because of his inexperience (understanable considering how costly mistakes by Safeties are, but at the same time, there's no way to get experienced other than by getting experience).

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2015, 01:57 PM
I intended to caveat that with are NFL talent but forgot. Chris Jones and Derunya both would have played at any point in Dan's career and regardless of whether we had a glaring need. But looking at your list, it seems pretty clear that your filter of "played in 5 or more games as either a FR or RFR or a 1st year JUCO" is way too broad. Dontavian Lee, for example, barely had any meaningful time this year. Aeris did, but at the same time we were terrible at RB and he and DLee were the only guys that looked to be physically capable of being primary backs in the SEC. If both of them weren't kept off the field by disciplinary problems (and real ones, not just understandable 19 year old immaturity that can be disciplined with extra sprints and stuff), that was a huge fail to not try to get either of them read in the first half of the season so that we could have a legit SEC back in the second half. Malik Dear was not used nearly enough this year, but presumably that was because of injuries. If not, that was a huge fail to not utilize one of our few guys that could be a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Some of it is not a question of playing guys, but seems to be a problem with getting them ready in a reasonable amount of time. For example, we were really bad at safety. Kivon Coman is not good. Brandon Bryant has all the measurables to be better. Is he just like Cox and not football players despite his athletic ability? Or is our defensive scheme really so complicated that a RS freshman can't be trusted at the beginning of the year? Or were Mullen and Diaz simply too reluctant to let Bryant play because of his inexperience (understanable considering how costly mistakes by Safeties are, but at the same time, there's no way to get experienced other than by getting experience).

I don't necessarily disagree with you points. Yeah, if you had put the "pros" caveat to the list it would be different. My point in 5 games or more means that they more than likely saw play in an SEC game. But, the expanded list also shows that the players get opportunities to break into rotations. It is up to the player to take advantage of that opportunity in games, in practice, and the off-field requirements that our program expects of them in order to get more. Some guys on this list did that this year - Bryant, McLaurin, Peters, Green, Gray, Dear, Fitz. Others like Bear, Dak, Holloway, Richie B., have done it in past years. There are a number on that list that played 8 or more games as Fr/RFR - they did what it took to force the issue and beat out the guys in front of them. Some like to run down the coaches for basing playing time decision on what we see in games - which is about 15% of what the coaches see day in and day out. The player is just as responsible - if not more so - for getting themselves ready to compete.

QuadrupleOption
12-09-2015, 09:00 AM

Fletcher Cox
Chad Bumphis
Chris Smith
Gabe Jackson
Johnthan Banks
Chris Jones
Nickoe Whitley
Blaine Clausell
Taveze Calhoun
Bernardrick McKinney

Chris White
Pernell McPhee
Denico Autry
Charles Siddoway

Also some little-used RB named Vick Ballard.

mic
12-09-2015, 09:41 AM

The 97th ranked player in Texas is an OT that is committed to Texas am..
I don't go by * , I go by offers and who offered him..

So if Texas am is offering and has commitment from a kid in that state that is barley in the top 100 , im sure we could go over there and find a kid who played OL for a big time high school team..

And I don't give a shit where we go get them, there are Not Enough OL in Miss that can play sec ball.. Shit we have proved that over the past few years...

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2015, 09:57 AM
And I don't give a shit where we go get them, there are Not Enough OL in Miss that can play sec ball.. Shit we have proved that over the past few years...

I have a close friend that is at MS/AL all star practices and he has told me exactly that. His exact words "We are so much better than Bama on the DL, but our OL looks like shit. It's like none of these kids are ever taught how to properly pass block"

Apparently our DL is just destroying our OL in practice to the point that they can't even practice running plays.

JoseBrown
12-09-2015, 10:01 AM
We seem to recruit GA pretty well, but why in the hell cant we load up on talent from FL? I thought with Mullen being here and some of his friends that they'd be able to pull some talent from FL. And why can't we get any talented O-linemen with all the good skill people we have, with or without Hevesy?

mic
12-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I have a close friend that is at MS/AL all star practices and he has told me exactly that. His exact words "We are so much better than Bama on the DL, but our OL looks like shit. It's like none of these kids are ever taught how to properly pass block"

Apparently our DL is just destroying our OL in practice to the point that they can't even practice running plays.

Yep..

And little off the subject here.. But Kobe Jones had to play both ways.. BOTH WAYS for a 6a state champs..
This may be the steal of the 2016 class.. How better could he be if he spent all his time on Defense..

maroonmania
12-09-2015, 11:50 AM

I'm still hoping someone wakes up on the staff and moves Malik Dear to RB this Spring. We have a number of new guys coming on (like Mixon and Thomas) that should do well as backups in the slot to Ross, Gray and/or Myles but Dear could get his hands on the ball a LOT more at RB. It seems moving Dear to RB and moving Shumpert to a different position that he could excel at would be wise on both counts.

mic
12-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I'm still hoping someone wakes up on the staff and moves Malik Dear to RB this Spring. We have a number of new guys coming on (like Mixon and Thomas) that should do well as backups in the slot to Ross, Gray and/or Myles but Dear could get his hands on the ball a LOT more at RB. It seems moving Dear to RB and moving Shumpert to a different position that he could excel at would be wise on both counts.

Looks like we might make a move during bowl that I hoped we would make...
Gerri green to DE ..need this guy on the field and With his size and speed this could be a great move ..

Coach34
12-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Glad they listened to me again

pilldawg
12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Does everyone here realize that we played the 2nd most freshmen in the SEC this year? The only team that played more freshmen was Georgia.

maroonmania
12-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Does everyone here realize that we played the 2nd most freshmen in the SEC this year? The only team that played more freshmen was Georgia.

Sort of a meaningless stat IMO. If a guy got in for 4 or 5 plays for the entire year then per that stat he "played". For an example, yes, Lee and Williams both played but they were not nearly the contributors they should have been given the ineffectiveness of the RBs in front of them. Corey Thomas also played but how many meaningful snaps did he get? Seems the only freshman we had that made a true impact was Malik Dear.

TrapGame
12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Has there been a change in recruiting philosophy for offensive linemen? Are we re-evaluating linemen and looking for something different? I ask this because of Hev's recent interest in the JUCO lineman Fat Bert's going after.