PDA

View Full Version : Dec 7th, 1941

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM
President Roosevelt address (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8gYGg0dkE)

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 09:30 PM
"Now at this very moment I knew that the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!...How long the war would last or in what fashion it would end no man could tell, nor did I at this moment care...We should not be wiped out. Our history would not come to an end...Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to a powder. All the rest was merely the proper application of overwhelming force." - Sir Winston Churchill

Blackout
12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
FDR failed to address the nation mentioning that not all Japanese are bad and we mustn't give in to prejudices. You know Japanese are our neighbors, heroes, sports figures, etc.

Also, we should ban planes.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Churchill said he went to sleep that night and slept the sleep of the saved. He knew that England would now survive.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Churchill said he went to sleep that night and slept the sleep of the saved. He knew that England would now survive.

Love me some Churchill. Wish we had a few of him in charge about now. We've got a bunch of Neville Chamberlains running the show currently.

IMissJack
12-07-2015, 09:43 PM
President Roosevelt address (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8gYGg0dkE)

I am reminded of Pearl Harbor yearly, as today is my birthday. May we always remember as a nation to be prepared.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2015, 09:44 PM
My Grandfather and 6 of his brothers all served in WWII. His brother Jack was a SeaBee stationed at Pearl. He survived the attack, then was on immediate duty to help rebuild and refloat the what could be salvaged. He later got shipwrecked in the South Pacific and spent 18 months hiding in caves from the Japanese. He was one tough SOB, and one of the funniest people I've ever known. This day always reminds me of Uncle Jack.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Love me some Churchill. Wish we had a few of him in charge about now. We've got a bunch of Neville Chamberlains running the show currently.

Me too. I've got a pretty extensive library both about and by him. I agree about the Chamberlains. That defacto ISIS capitol in Syria would be a pile of rubble right now if Winston and FDR were in charge. The only question would have been if the Eighth Air Force or Bomber Command would have done the honors.

justin
12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
My Grandfather's brother died onboard the Arizona. He was a gunners mate in one of the turrets. Can't imagine how horrific that day was for all of those guys.

Churchill
12-07-2015, 11:20 PM
My father was going duck hunting that afternoon and heard the the news. Turned around and went home and enlisted the next morning. Spent over 3 years in Europe as a motor pool Sargent for a light bomber squadron in England, France then Belgium. Every man that fought that war for all of us was a hero to me. Not many of them are left and that`s a heartbreaking loss .

Gen. Grant
12-08-2015, 12:30 AM
FDR failed to address the nation mentioning that not all Japanese are bad and we mustn't give in to prejudices. You know Japanese are our neighbors, heroes, sports figures, etc.

Also, we should ban planes.

In light of recent events, and the absence of sarcasterics, I assume that you are relating 12/7/41 to modern times.

You would be correct, he didn't say that, as a result, thousands of innocent Japanese-American citizens ended up in internment camps. Their civil rights were violated, their property taken from them, yet their faith in their country never wavered, and they still volunteered to serve their country--many did not come back. Lessons are hard to learn.

BeardoMSU
12-08-2015, 12:38 AM
In light of recent events, and the absence of sarcasterics, I assume that you are relating 12/7/41 to modern times.

You would be correct, he didn't say that, as a result, thousands of innocent Japanese-American citizens ended up in internment camps. Their civil rights were violated, their property taken from them, yet their faith in their country never wavered, and they still volunteered to serve their country--many did not come back. Lessons are hard to learn.

General, you really should post more. Well said.

Blackout
12-08-2015, 05:42 AM

You bring up a good point and it's worth questioning why that is always an argument while nobody ever equates the March to the Sea as done by your guys. Were innocent Americans not trampled all over much worse than the Internment? I imagine if we had the video footage like we did in those later years it would be a different story but our limited thinking is "no video, ancient history, doesn't matter" yet it was just around 80 years difference. Also, they weren't minorities.

Amazing how quickly the world changes. Also faulty logic. Does the absence of going out of your way to defend the enemy always lead to internment?

Thank God we conducted war the way we did and won! The key word we WON! There's never been a better title for a people than the "Greatest Generation"

Churchill
12-08-2015, 07:43 AM

And I`m sure it`s just a matter of time until the muslim community at large rises up and helps us defeat ISIS ** Lessons seem to be harder for some to learn than others.

FISHDAWG
12-08-2015, 08:47 AM
fantastic generation that also went through the great depression .... they could teach us so much if only we would allow them too #grateful

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 08:56 AM

He lucked up because Hitler made the second biggest mistake of the war. FDR could not go to war with Germany unless congress declared war and they were not. Our beef was with Japan but once Hitler did the unthinkable the war made a big turn.

DanDority
12-08-2015, 09:49 AM

No doubt about it! I've been saying for years that The President is just another Neville Chamberlain. He proved my point when he made the agreement with the Iranian nuclear deal, which was just like the Munich agreement with Hitler.

tcdog70
12-08-2015, 10:04 AM
My Dad was with Mc Arthur and Heard the "I Shall Return Speech" in person. he was captured on Corregidor and spent 31/2 years in Manchuria as a Jap POW. My uncle was the Ball Turret gunner in a B-25. They would pissed off M'fer with this Muslim deal today.

BeardoMSU
12-08-2015, 10:37 AM
he made the agreement with the Iranian nuclear deal, which was just like the Munich agreement with Hitler.

Not remotely close to the same thing.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
He lucked up because Hitler made the second biggest mistake of the war. FDR could not go to war with Germany unless congress declared war and they were not. Our beef was with Japan but once Hitler did the unthinkable the war made a big turn.

We would have eventually been in the European war once we were in the overall war. Churchill knew this, as did FDR. Heck, we were ALREADY in it prior to Pearl Harbor in all but name. The Ruben Jams and all that.

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Not remotely close to the same thing.

I agree, Munich didn't threaten the United States in a direct manner. The Iran deal does.

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2015, 11:09 AM
No doubt about it! I've been saying for years that The President is just another Neville Chamberlain. He proved my point when he made the agreement with the Iranian nuclear deal, which was just like the Munich agreement with Hitler.

Speaking of the Iranian nuclear deal, Iran just tested medium range missiles in violation of the agreement. But we're supposed to trust they don't really want the bomb and don't really want to nuke us and wipe Israel off the map.****

DancingRabbit
12-08-2015, 11:24 AM
fantastic generation that also went through the great depression .... they could teach us so much if only we would allow them too #grateful

Yeah, I really miss my Dad this time of year. In December '41 he was a junior in high school in rural Mississippi. In December '43 he was in Italy, and December '44 he was somewhere in the Ardennes Forest.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2015, 12:05 PM
We would have eventually been in the European war once we were in the overall war. Churchill knew this, as did FDR. Heck, we were ALREADY in it prior to Pearl Harbor in all but name. The Ruben Jams and all that.

It was going to be really hard for that to happen. It was about politics. The largest single immigrant population in the United States were German speaking. In 1880 there was 1.5 German born Immigrants living in the United States. 1890 there was 2.8 million German born Immigrants living in the United States. In 1910 there was 2.3 million German born immigrants living in the United States. In 1920 there was 1.7 million German born immigrants living in the United States.

By the time WWII came along all these Immigrants had been nationalize and now there are two to three Generations born since 1880. There was more German decent people living in the United State than from any other nations. Even more than Irish decent.

Roosevelt faced the same issue as Wilson did in the years leading up to WWI. How to get the Politicians to vote for a war that a large number of their voters do not want.

DanDority
12-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Yet, because of FDR there are millions that will continue to blindly follow his party to the pit of hell, because of his "Bad" new deal!

BeardoMSU
12-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Yet, because of FDR there are millions that will continue to blindly follow his party to the pit of hell, because of his "Bad" new deal!

Ah, so my great uncle who got a job with the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), via the New Deal, and helped build Roosevelt State Park in MS, among other things, was just being given a "hand out"?

****s sake....

Blackout
12-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Ah, so my great uncle who got a job with the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), via the New Deal, and helped build Roosevelt State Park in MS, among other things, was just being given a "hand out"?

Essentially.. We should have been building up our military not planting trees

drunkernhelldawg
12-08-2015, 01:22 PM
You bring up a good point and it's worth questioning why that is always an argument while nobody ever equates the March to the Sea as done by your guys. Were innocent Americans not trampled all over much worse than the Internment? I imagine if we had the video footage like we did in those later years it would be a different story but our limited thinking is "no video, ancient history, doesn't matter" yet it was just around 80 years difference. Also, they weren't minorities.

Amazing how quickly the world changes. Also faulty logic. Does the absence of going out of your way to defend the enemy always lead to internment?

Thank God we conducted war the way we did and won! The key word we WON! There's never been a better title for a people than the "Greatest Generation"

This is getting to belong on the politics board, but he's going out of his way because he thinks the biggest threat to our security is an all-out war between cultures, religions, and civilizations. I think that's correct and I don't get how it's even debatable.

BeardoMSU
12-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Essentially..
Haha...are you trolling me, or intentionally being a dipshit? Maybe you can't help it....

Either way, go **** yourself.

scottycameron
12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Essentially.. We should have been building up our military not planting trees

we were, dip****. My grandad worked for TVA part of the CCC and he also worked at Oakridge Y-12. I don't know what you call building up the military, but they basically built the second atomic bomb, and first used in war, "little boy". Even though guys like my grandad didn't know exactly what they were working on. I would call that building up the military, they smoked several hundred thousand japs in one detonation and basically ended the war. The new mexico plutonium boys made sure the i's were dotted and t's were crossed with fat man a few days later. If the bomb wasn't working on building up the military I don't know what was.

Blackout
12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
we were, dip****. My grandad worked for TVA part of the CCC and he also worked at Oakridge Y-12. I don't know what you call building up the military, but they basically built the second atomic bomb, and first used in war, "little boy". Even though guys like my grandad didn't know exactly what they were working on. I would call that building up the military, they smoked several hundred thousand japs in one detonation and basically ended the war. The new mexico plutonium boys made sure the i's were dotted and t's were crossed with fat man a few days later. If the bomb wasn't working on building up the military I don't know what was.

So Douglas MacArthur didn't testify before Congress because there weren't enough bullets for the soldiers?

FDR didn't cut military spending during the 30's by half as a % of GDP?

FDR wanted those votes so he spent lavishly on social programs at the expense of the military causing the buildup after Pearl Harbor to be undertaken.

Liverpooldawg
12-09-2015, 10:48 AM
It was going to be really hard for that to happen. It was about politics. The largest single immigrant population in the United States were German speaking. In 1880 there was 1.5 German born Immigrants living in the United States. 1890 there was 2.8 million German born Immigrants living in the United States. In 1910 there was 2.3 million German born immigrants living in the United States. In 1920 there was 1.7 million German born immigrants living in the United States.

By the time WWII came along all these Immigrants had been nationalize and now there are two to three Generations born since 1880. There was more German decent people living in the United State than from any other nations. Even more than Irish decent.

Roosevelt faced the same issue as Wilson did in the years leading up to WWI. How to get the Politicians to vote for a war that a large number of their voters do not want.

It was already happening. The US Navy was in a shooting war in the Atlantic months before Pearl Harbor. We would have eventually been in the European war even if Jaoan had stayed out. Pearl Harbor and Hitler's lunacy just sped up the invetible.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Hitler was forced to enter the war against the US because the US was using it's own ships to supply Britain, & Hitler couldn't use his U boats against the US ships, unless he declared war on the US.

So, unless Hitler declared war on Britain, he couldn't disrupt the British supply chain. Not sure what option Hitler had

Jack Lambert
12-09-2015, 11:02 AM
It was already happening. The US Navy was in a shooting war in the Atlantic months before Pearl Harbor. We would have eventually been in the European war even if Jaoan had stayed out. Pearl Harbor and Hitler's lunacy just sped up the invetible.

Funny thing is Historians have been arguing this for 74 years.