PDA

View Full Version : Would Muschamp be a good hire for SC?

Jack Lambert
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
What makes them think he can win at SC but not at FL?

Coach34
12-07-2015, 03:34 PM
I don't think so. He couldnt win at Fla- unless he has learned you can't change OC's every Spring- he is doomed to fail.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2015, 03:34 PM
What makes them think he can win at SC but not at FL?

Because people sometimes get better at their jobs in their 2nd chance. I wouldn't give someone a 3rd chance, but I'd give someone with the correct components a 2nd chance.

I'm not a Muschamp fan & wouldn't have hired him, but I understand South Carolina's thinking here & it could turn out to be a savvy move.

One South Carolina realized that they weren't going to be able to hire Fuente, Herman, or Rich Rod, instead of hiring an extremely young offensive coordinator like Lincoln Riley, they decided to trust that Muschamp had identified & corrected the issues that prevented him from being successful at Florida.

In 2010, Muschamp was the big name, the hot shot coordinator like Kirby Smart or Tom Herman, pre- Houston. He has energy, can recruit, and has had success at the coordinator level. All those components are components of a potentially successful head coach.

Again, I don't like Muschamp, but South Carolina clearly thought that Muschamp was the undervalued guy and the best guy when compared to the other guys they could've hired.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't think so. He could win at Fla- unless he has learned you can't change OC's every Spring- he is doomed to fail.

I don't think he'll win either.

I think the problem that defensive first head coaches have is that the moment they get their offense going, some mid-major school will want to hire that guy as their head coach. Whereas, offensive minded head coaches can usually retain their successful defensive guy, if he has a good year.

South Carolina won't be able to recruit the personnel to win big with defense &, if Muschamp gets the offensive going, the OC will be hired by Houston, Memphis, etc... the next season and he'll have to start over.

Blackout
12-07-2015, 04:04 PM
I wonder if SC is looking at the Auburn approach.

Don't break the bank on Boom and go pay an OC 1.3 million or so. If the OC leaves it better be for a HC job and it better be a good one.

Boom can obviously get talent which is what they desperately need

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Because people sometimes get better at their jobs in their 2nd chance. I wouldn't give someone a 3rd chance, but I'd give someone with the correct components a 2nd chance.
I agree that guys can earn 2nd chances, but you said it all in your earlier posts.

For a have-not school like South Carolina, the percentage play is on an offensive guy, even if it's an unproven coordinator. Defensive guys can't normally win without being an awesome recruiter, or being at a school where recruiting is easier (like Saban at Alabama, or Stoops at Oklahoma). The exception is if the guy is just an outstanding leader, in which Muschump does not appear to be. I'm talking guys like Greg Schiano.

Muschump should be coaching in CUSA or something. Still not sure how he got all his hype.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2015, 04:22 PM
I'd love to know what Boom's players thought of him. If he is as much of a powder keg during the week as he is on Saturdays, that act would wear thin real fast. I had no problem playing for guys who yelled, or were passionate, or even a couple I didn't like. But, playing for an unhinged lunatic would be rough.

Really Clark?
12-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I wonder if SC is looking at the Auburn approach.

Don't break the bank on Boom and go pay an OC 1.3 million or so. If the OC leaves it better be for a HC job and it better be a good one.

Boom can obviously get talent which is what they desperately need

They are bringing in Kurt Roper, his OC from the last year at Florida. Lance Thompson and/or Ellis Johnson may also be coming on staff. It looks like he is bringing a good number of the guys he had at Florida with him.

jumbo
12-07-2015, 04:44 PM
In the history of college football only 2 teams have lost a game while holding the other team to UNDER 120 total yards. Both were Will Muschamp's at Florida.

I don't see how you can be excited about this if you are USC, but maybe as others have said, he will learn what he did wrong and how to fix it.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2015, 04:47 PM
I agree that guys can earn 2nd chances, but you said it all in your earlier posts.

For a have-not school like South Carolina, the percentage play is on an offensive guy, even if it's an unproven coordinator. Defensive guys can't normally win without being an awesome recruiter, or being at a school where recruiting is easier (like Saban at Alabama, or Stoops at Oklahoma). The exception is if the guy is just an outstanding leader, in which Muschump does not appear to be. I'm talking guys like Greg Schiano.

Muschump should be coaching in CUSA or something. Still not sure how he got all his hype.

I'm with you. I just trying to explain their thinking. I don't like Muschamp & would have gone after an offensive guy, but it's clear that after not landing any of the offensive guys that they offered, SCAR felt that Muschamp was the undervalued guy in the market, if he had learned what he'd do different from Florida.

Taog Redloh
12-07-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm with you. I just trying to explain their thinking. I don't like Muschamp & would have gone after an offensive guy, but it's clear that after not landing any of the offensive guys that they offered, SCAR felt that Muschamp was the undervalued guy in the market, if he had learned what he'd do different from Florida.
He's got to be an insane interviewer, is all I can come up with. I remember thinking that Florida was brain-dead for hiring him in 2011. Florida has plenty of evidence that supports the fact that they need an offensive coach that utilizes speed. Defensive coaches don't work there.

Political Hack
12-07-2015, 08:28 PM
If Boom can whip Kirby Smart in recruiting, and they should be familiar with one another's recruiting capacity after a year together in the state of Alabama, S.C. could end up having made the best hire amongst the SEC teams this year.

I don't think Smart is going to surpass Richt at Georgia and I don't think Mizzu is going to be passing anyone.

Political Hack
12-07-2015, 08:30 PM
That said, I think they all fail.

nicks_hammer
12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Muschamp had his chance at Florida and failed miserably. SC has no where near the resources or ability to attract and hire the talent of Florida. SC will regress back to Vandy and KY level squads. Not a good move on their part and that sad thing is they were the first ones in line.