PDA

View Full Version : Hev-Honest Opinion

bocfarm
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Recruiter and Coach?

Vandownbytheriver
08-03-2013, 07:49 PM
If he reads this board, that big son of a bitch is the best coach we have.

If not, Dan needs to let him go. He's underwhelming.

MSUDawg4Life
08-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I think he's a good coach. When he got here, he had very little to work with and I think he did a great job of getting those early OLs to play as well as they did. Played a big role in developing Derek Sherrod, Gabe Jackson and Dillon Day. One first rounder and two others who should be in the NFL soon. How long has it been since we put an OL in the NFL at all much less putting two first round draft picks in the NFL (assuming Gabe goes in the first round)? If Tobias wasn't hurt, he could possibly have been a fourth NFL draft pick.

Honestly, I don't know how well he recruits. I can't speak on that.

Bark
08-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Average on both accounts.

He hasn't been able to land any tackles that have panned out to this point. I don't know if that's lack of development or bad evaluations in recruiting.

Coach 57
08-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I actually think he does a good job. As stated above look what he's done from a draft stand point.

Coach34
08-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I think he's a good coach. When he got here, he had very little to work with and I think he did a great job of getting those early OLs to play as well as they did. Played a big role in developing Derek Sherrod, Gabe Jackson and Dillon Day. One first rounder and two others who should be in the NFL soon. How long has it been since we put an OL in the NFL at all much less putting two first round draft picks in the NFL (assuming Gabe goes in the first round)? If Tobias wasn't hurt, he could possibly have been a fourth NFL draft pick.

Cant argue with that...as much shit as people try to throw on him- we were 2nd in the SEC in fewest sacks allowed while throwing the 4th most passes. The OL coach has to get some credit for protecting our QB so well- especially considering so many say our OT's suck

Barking 13
08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
From all accounts, I hear he's not a "nice" guy... and I'm being nice.... :rolleyes:

Coach34
08-03-2013, 09:12 PM
From all accounts, I hear he's not a "nice" guy... and I'm being nice.... :rolleyes:

There's no sidestepping it- Hevesy is a dick. We know it...he knows it.

Barking 13
08-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Thank you.. I was being nice, so I don't get booted off the first week...:D

Dawg61
08-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't want an OL coach that wasn't a dick. He's the position coach for 300+ big uglies that basically have a 3 hour fight every week to attend. Gotta get them ready to fight. Last I checked nice guys get their asses kicked during fights.

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 09:32 PM
AND the qb held the ball so long.

I think Hevesy is a good field coach. Don't know whether the stories are true about the recruiting trail but he does have a gruff personality and that could affect the recruiting.

His wife is one tough lady and simply for the fact that she punked out those fans that were so ugly to Wilson's wife makes me want them to be a bulldog family for ever.

Barking 13
08-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't want an OL coach that wasn't a dick. He's the position coach for 300+ big uglies that basically have a 3 hour fight every week to attend. Gotta get them ready to fight. Last I checked nice guys get their asses kicked during fights.

I get your point, but when you're an @$$ to the degree that the players hate you and don't want to listen to you, it makes a difference... I've heard some stories, and I can understand why our line looks like it does sometimes..

Coach 57
08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Thought our OL has looked decent. Hmm.

msstate7
08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Thought our OL has looked decent. Hmm.

So is dl or ol better right now?

CadaverDawg
08-03-2013, 10:20 PM

Good post. I think we will learn a lot about Hev this year and next. We should be able to run the ball this year better than last year, and next year we SHOULD be able to run it down people's throats. I like that we have protected Russell, but I want to see us get more physical in the run game. Of course, a lot of the lack of run game has nothing to do with Hev.

Bully13
08-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Cant argue with that...as much shit as people try to throw on him- we were 2nd in the SEC in fewest sacks allowed while throwing the 4th most passes. The OL coach has to get some credit for protecting our QB so well- especially considering so many say our OT's suck

not to mention the fact that TR holds on to the ball too long...heh heh..had to throw that one in coach

Political Hack
08-03-2013, 10:45 PM
great OL coach. Ahould never be more or less than that.

terrible recruiter. You can't recruit like you coach.

just because it hasn't been brought up yet, and I know it will... Deon Mix.

Irondawg
08-03-2013, 11:38 PM
The only think I can really hold against him to this point is that a couple of the JUCO kids that rumor said he was a big benefactor for signing can't even crack the 2nd string.

Todd4State
08-04-2013, 12:17 AM
I get your point, but when you're an @$$ to the degree that the players hate you and don't want to listen to you, it makes a difference... I've heard some stories, and I can understand why our line looks like it does sometimes..

This sounds so much like the MSU message board universe circa Cohen's second year.

I honestly don't buy the part about the players hating him to the point where they won't work for him. He's put Sherrod in the league as a first round pick, Day is a Remington finalist and Gabe Jackson is rated by many as the top guard prospect in the country. Tobias Smith would be in the NFL if his body could hold up. That doesn't happen if the players are not listening to him.

Recruiting o-linemen is probably one of if not the toughest position group as far as projection. Hevesey doesn't exclusively recruit o-linemen- there are other coaches that are just as much as fault as him in that arena. I would agree that recruiting is his weakness though.

Bark
08-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Good post. I think we will learn a lot about Hev this year and next. We should be able to run the ball this year better than last year, and next year we SHOULD be able to run it down people's throats. I like that we have protected Russell, but I want to see us get more physical in the run game. Of course, a lot of the lack of run game has nothing to do with Hev.

IMO the reason our running game suffered last year was not solely on the OL. I think we're missing a big bruiser fullback (like Hanrahan).

Demdawgs
08-04-2013, 01:16 AM
I don't know his area or who else he primarily recruited but he is listed as responsible for Jones and A. Williams.

TopconDog
08-04-2013, 08:03 AM
A big part of us not running the ball better is play calling,you gotta fool the other team sometimes abd we do a poor job of it.

maroonmania
08-04-2013, 09:04 AM

True, but there are OL coaches who know how to switch modes when recruiting. Apparently Hevesy doesn't know how to do that. Hard to attract top quality players to come join your program when you are acting like a dick to them.

AROB44
08-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Think he has done a good job. Best OL coach we have had in a while.