PDA

View Full Version : Basketball stat that needs to go up.

drummerdawg
12-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Free throw attempts. State is currently last in the SEC in free throw attempts per game at 15.1 while every other team is over 21 attempts. We need to be more aggressive going to the basket. To me this stat is pretty important and has a significant impact on the game. If you get to the line you have potential for more points, and it gets the other team in foul trouble which effects how they play defense. We already score over 80 PPG, if we can get to the line a little more I think we can be pretty tough to outscore.

Irondawg
12-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Agree - we are way to quick to settle for jumpers sometimes

MetEdDawg
12-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Free throw attempts. State is currently last in the SEC in free throw attempts per game at 15.1 while every other team is over 21 attempts. We need to be more aggressive going to the basket. To me this stat is pretty important and has a significant impact on the game. If you get to the line you have potential for more points, and it gets the other team in foul trouble which effects how they play defense. We already score over 80 PPG, if we can get to the line a little more I think we can be pretty tough to outscore.

Two words: Malik Newman. He should be shooting 6-8 FTs a game. It doesn't matter how long you've been out with turf toe or missed practice. You know how to drive the basket since 5 years old and he can do it pretty darn well. We need to set him up in some iso sets, clear folks out of the way and let him get to the basket. He needs more opportunities.

Not to mention that opens up so many different offensive opportunities. Dishes to Ware when the backside defender commits to the drive, open 3 opportunities in the corner. We need some more of that. So I totally agree with your sentiment. More FT opportunities, which in turn stops us from being on our heels as much defensively. I know a lot of coaches don't like to drive PGs to the basket as much because it can lead to quick fast break opportunities with your PG on the baseline having driven to the basket. But I think it's worth the risk at this point to really focus on the interior of a defense and see if we can slow the game down a bit by getting to the line more so we can set up our defense on a few more possessions per game.

msstate7
12-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Speaking of Malik...

We've had some pretty big layoffs between games lately. Has anyone heard if he's close to getting healthy? I really think you'll see a different player when he gets rid of that steel-inserted shoe

thf24
12-07-2015, 10:44 AM
I really think you'll see a different player when he gets rid of that steel-inserted shoe

This can't be stressed enough, and I think we've got some people who still don't understand this. It's not a matter of sucking it up and playing through the pain. It's not the injury that's the problem, it's the precautionary measure. If you're not convinced, stand up from your desk and try simply walking a few yards while holding one of your feet as flat as possible. It's awkward enough to walk that way; just imagine running, planting and cutting, ect. Malik simply cannot move the way he needs to to play his complete inside game right now. Once he gets that piece of metal out of his shoe, his game is going to open up and I think there are going to be some among us that will feel pretty silly about some of the criticisms they've made thus far. Or should, anyway.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Chicken is taking too many 3's. He is a slasher and needs to remember that

thf24
12-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Absolutely. He's improved his shooting to the point that he needs to take it if it's open, but taking the Kobe-esque 3's off the dribble with a defender on him isn't going to do much for us. With the new officiating style being forced, he needs to look to drive every time he touches the ball.

mstatefan91
12-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Chicken and Malik need to drive the lane. Take the jumpers if they are open but get on the free throw line.

As much as we criticize Ready, he seems to be the only one who drives the lane. He does a really nice job of it in transition as well which is supposed to be a big part of the offense.

Maroon_and_white
12-07-2015, 03:58 PM

The season will go as Sword goes. Unfortunately, I don't think Sword has the true leadership it will take to lead the team. These are the last of the Stansbury recruits so we can finally close the door on his era. How fitting that next years class will be our most talented to date