PDA

View Full Version : For those wondering why VTech was not selected

GulfCoastDawg
12-07-2015, 01:43 AM
For the Belk Bowl. "For weeks, the accepted line of thinking was that the Belk Bowl, if possible, would choose Virginia Tech as their ACC selection so as to feature Frank Beamer in his last game as the Hokies head coach. One problem with that scenario was that the Belk Bowl ultimately couldn?t choose Virginia Tech because Pittsburgh is effectively ?protected? to be selected ahead of VPI in any scenario.

The way the rules work, a 6 win ACC team can only be selected once all of the 8 win teams have been selected; but, a 7 win team (Louisville or NC State) CAN be selected in the same tier with the 8 win teams. With that said, there is no way for a bowl to select 6-6 Virginia Tech over an 8-4 Pittsburgh?and, the Belk Bowl had Louisville last season. So, that left the Belk Bowl with a decision between Pittsburgh and NC State. Given that choice, there was little doubt that the Belk Bowl would select the program that packs their stadium for every game and will bring about ten times the number of fans than the other program."

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 02:07 AM
I was curious about that. And I figured it was something like that. To be honest, I think the Belk Bowl got the better match-up because I think we would have rolled Virginia Tech.