PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen's OL recruiting

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 01:14 AM
I really think this of all areas is where Dan's arrogance shines through the brightest. After all he is the designer of 3 of the top 5 scoring QBs in SEC history. Why bother kissing HS OL ass when you've got that on your resume. Dan can produce points with or without elite OL. So he would rather sign 3* nobodies who aren't character concerns than face off H2H vs Saban, Freeze and Miles. Remember Dan is the bottom in game vs them so he'd rather just avoid them as most as he can. His ego tells him he doesn't need 5* OL. It's upto Dan and Dan alone to feel the same urgency recruiting OL as he does QB.

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 02:10 AM
I think you are right to a large degree about Dan's arrogance. That and I think he trusts Hevesy too much. To be honest, I think it would work out OK except for the fact that Hevesy is so lazy on the recruiting trail.

AROB44
12-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Are we going to have posts such as these ad nauseum. How many times can you beat this dead horse. I guess this will go on until Mullen is fired or run off. Then the focus will be on the next coaches shortcomings. Shouldn't be too long....I give Mullen one more year.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Mullen isn't going anywhere- he can't. Nobody will hire him that can come close to what he makes at State. He just figured that out last week. And especially with the team we'll have next year- he won't be a valuable commodity at all

bulldawg28
12-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Another crybaby thread saying the same ole thing with the same crybabies crying. This site is tanking quick

AROB44
12-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Well....I am so sorry Willingham didn't work out for you. Maybe after next year.

K9 Avenger
12-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Another crybaby thread saying the same ole thing with the same crybabies crying. This site is tanking quick

It is....this site has jumped the shark....I've never seen a group so focused on firing good coaches. It's Mullen now, Howland will get a pass for a year before the long knives come out and then it'll be Cohen's turn in the spring. This board will be completely unreadable after the baseball team loses its first game.

Dawgface
12-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Are we going to have posts such as these ad nauseum. How many times can you beat this dead horse. I guess this will go on until Mullen is fired or run off. Then the focus will be on the next coaches shortcomings. Shouldn't be too long....I give Mullen one more year.

We got him more than one more year. Even if we go 4-8, the general thought will be to give him another year due to 6 straight bowl appearances. He's ours for at least 2 more years.

Dawgtini
12-07-2015, 08:45 AM
This site is tanking quick
The fall is mirroring the rise. Sad really.

Dawgology
12-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah I've enjoyed the hell out of this site but the insanity has gone off the edge at this point. Every time I come over to read and post it's just constant fire Mullen threads. Getting old. Same people rehashing the same uninformed opinion over and over because they are upset about losing to UNM. Probably going to be the last time I visit for a while. Way too much negativity.

MrKotter
12-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Its funny how everyone flipped their shit over something that happens EVERY year since Mullen arrived. This year was no different. Its obvious several on here have sources that are pure shit or they fabricated it. The national media does this every year and every year they look foolish. Surprised so many fell for the boy crying wolf again.

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 09:30 AM

Or until Mullen starts recruiting OL much better. Imagine what his offense could do with Bama's OL talent.

MrKotter
12-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Or until Mullen starts recruiting OL much better. Imagine what his offense could do with Bama's OL talent.
Imagine what any team could do with bama's o line.

To be fair, I haven't seen many fire Mullen threads. The "fire Hevesy's fat cross eyed ass" threads need to heat up though

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Mullen isn't going anywhere- he can't. Nobody will hire him that can come close to what he makes at State. He just figured that out last week. And especially with the team we'll have next year- he won't be a valuable commodity at all

LOL.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Its funny how everyone flipped their shit over something that happens EVERY year since Mullen arrived. This year was no different. Its obvious several on here have sources that are pure shit or they fabricated it. The national media does this every year and every year they look foolish. Surprised so many fell for the boy crying wolf again.

THIS

Coach34
Have we had one fire Mullen thread? I missed it if we did? People ARE however sick of us getting our teeth kicked in by top teams. Our lack of OL recruiting has been a big Achilles heel in the Mullen era. Not one Hevesy recruit has been drafted in 6 years- thats a problem. I think its fair for people to complain about that. The season just ended and things will slowly die down- but lets dont act like people arent justified with alot of their complaints

As to the sources comment- Mine were pretty damn good. I came out and said I heard Mullen was talking to a couple of schools but I didnt know who. And this was BEFORE any media outlet mentioned him for anything. Turns out it was Miami, Georgia, and Maryland. Then the various media started. I did miss with Mullen being gone- but that happens. Sometimes its good stuff- sometimes not so much.

Thanks for your support of the site.

Dawg61
Yeah I've enjoyed the hell out of this site but the insanity has gone off the edge at this point. Every time I come over to read and post it's just constant fire Mullen threads. Getting old. Same people rehashing the same uninformed opinion over and over because they are upset about losing to UNM. Probably going to be the last time I visit for a while. Way too much negativity.

We just had a top 5 SEC All-Time QB and we will not have a single one of his OL get drafted. It couldn't be more obvious Mullen MUST step his game up with the OL recruiting.

Liverpooldawg

Yep

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM

This too.

Hunkaburningdawg
12-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Agree 100%.
It is....this site has jumped the shark....I've never seen a group so focused on firing good coaches. It's Mullen now, Howland will get a pass for a year before the long knives come out and then it'll be Cohen's turn in the spring. This board will be completely unreadable after the baseball team loses its first game.

preachermatt83
12-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Have we had one fire Mullen thread? I missed it if we did? People ARE however sick of us getting our teeth kicked in by top teams. Our lack of OL recruiting has been a big Achilles heel in the Mullen era. Not one Hevesy recruit has been drafted in 6 years- thats a problem. I think its fair for people to complain about that. The season just ended and things will slowly die down- but lets dont act like people arent justified with alot of their complaints

As to the sources comment- Mine were pretty damn good. I came out and said I heard Mullen was talking to a couple of schools but I didnt know who. And this was BEFORE any media outlet mentioned him for anything. Turns out it was Miami, Georgia, and Maryland. Then the various media started. I did miss with Mullen being gone- but that happens. Sometimes its good stuff- sometimes not so much.

THIS!!

maroonmania
12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Yeah I've enjoyed the hell out of this site but the insanity has gone off the edge at this point. Every time I come over to read and post it's just constant fire Hevesy threads. Getting old. Same people rehashing the same uninformed opinion over and over because they are upset about losing to UNM. Probably going to be the last time I visit for a while. Way too much negativity.

FIFY

There have been almost no fire Mullen threads. Been a number of threads saying if he wants to leave then he should just leave.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 10:08 AM

Cohen is sub-.500 in SEC play so far. And he's not even that close to .500. But it's wrong to criticize the Hitting Guru and want changes, particularly when it's his specialty - the offense - that continues to blow every year? When he's coming off one of the worst seasons in modern MSU baseball history? Yeah.....

And NO ONE IS SAYING FIRE DAN MULLEN. Holy shit, some of you are stupid sumbitches. When you get blown out twice in a row by Bama and Northern Miss, you're going to catch hell. Especially when you're making nearly $4.5M a year and have two people who remain on staff as totally dead weight just because they're your buddies.

I seen it dawg
12-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Those of you wanting to leave and not read that's your prerogative. See you later.

JoseBrown
12-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Imagine what any team could do with bama's o line.

To be fair, I haven't seen many fire Mullen threads. The "fire Hevesy's fat cross eyed ass" threads need to heat up though

Bama's OL had at least one true freshman and one true soph starting for them. We can't play an OL till they've been on campus at least three years or on playing on DL previous. We have GOT to upgrade our OL talent to beat the good teams.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
As terrible as Crooms was- he left us with Sherrod, Jackson, and Saulsberry. Even Plastic Man from Columbus was talented- he just couldn't stay healthy very long. We haven't signed anybody close to that under Hev

JoseBrown
12-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Yes you did, and yes it does! You had me at 100%, now I'm gonna have to give more pause to your sources for a while. But I'll damn sure give you credit for bringing great info on Dakota Prescott when he was in high school. You were damn right back then. I've read you for years, and changed boards following you. I've definitely disagreed and argued with you years ago once or twice, but enjoyed you setting us up and lol'ed a lot. Overall, your sources are pretty good. This site will slowly calm on the Mullen stuff till we 17 up this class or lose a couple early games next year. But our OL has been and will be garbage for at least another year...
We dropped Nalls so I hope like hell they have someone real stout to replace him..

Bass Chaser
12-07-2015, 12:49 PM
So what's the read on Cushenberry and Williams?

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 01:14 PM
As terrible as Crooms was- he left us with Sherrod, Jackson, and Saulsberry. Even Plastic Man from Columbus was talented- he just couldn't stay healthy very long. We haven't signed anybody close to that under Hev

For all his many, many faults, Crxxm could croot and develop some OL. Wasn't David Stewart his too? Or was he a JWS holdover? Bottom line, we haven't been getting the big, mean, nasty, physical OL we're known for having. John James, Robert Hicks, Pork Chop, Randy Thomas, Michael Fair, Big Country Stewart, Sherrod, Gabe, Saulsberry.....the list could go on and on and on and f'n on. We don't have anyone on the roster anywhere near that level.

EAVdog
12-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Our OL was pretty damn good last year, let's keep that in perspective. We can, and have had good Offensive Lines under Mullen/Hev.

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Our OL was pretty damn good last year, let's keep that in perspective. We can, and have had good Offensive Lines under Mullen/Hev.

Ok but what I'm saying is that Mullen settles for OL instead of competing against the best for the best ones. He's using the same philosophy he has for QBs (which is proven to work) for OL but he and his OL coach are not developing offensive lineman nearly as well. That's all ego.

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 02:14 PM

There's a difference in "good" and "great." Where are those NFL guys like the ones I just listed? Guys who can play 10 years in the League or at least get drafted late and hang on a practice squad. We just don't have anyone anywhere near the level we have had at one point.

BB30
12-07-2015, 02:22 PM
There's a difference in "good" and "great." Where are those NFL guys like the ones I just listed? Guys who can play 10 years in the League or at least get drafted late and hang on a practice squad. We just don't have anyone anywhere near the level we have had at one point.

Do you know how many o lineman year in and year out get drafted and play 10 years in the league? very few out of the large percentage of OL in college football even get drafted much less are studs. There are a lot of athletes that can be taught to run the offense we run and have marginal success not the same for O lineman. If you aren't from Ms and wear maroon colored glasses would you rather go to bama, Georgia, USC, OSU or come to State. That's an easy answer for most. We aren't going to sign 4-5* lineman every year at the rate that Bama does. How OM pulls it off I don't know just tip my cap and hope they get what is coming at some point. It is unrealistic to expect us to land these guys consistently until we have built a winning program. Most of the teams listed have been winning for years and years we have been winning for 5-6 years big difference. Rome was not built in a day.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Ok BB- let's start with one just getting drafted- period. Rome may not be built in a day- but we are 0 for 6 years now- and Crooms didn't need that long to recruit NFL talent linemen. Stop with the BS excuses

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Ok BB- let's start with one just getting drafted- period. Rome may not be built in a day- but we are 0 for 6 years now- and Crooms didn't need that long to recruit NFL talent linemen. Stop with the BS excuses

0 in 6 years is disgraceful. It'll be 0fer 7 soon. That's SWAC bad. Come on Dan check your arrogance it's malfunctioning.

Barking 13
12-07-2015, 04:18 PM
can we not go to Nebraska or somewhere like the midwest and pull some of those big corn fed linemen that they are famous for? I mean we're Mississippi State, but we ARE in the SEC and get a bunch more exposure....

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 04:22 PM

No kidding. And how the hell did we get so many of those type OL the 15 years before Mullen showed up? They didn't just dry up and disappear. 15 years of producing NFL OL tells me we can absolutely find those types of players.

These poor ol' MSU types drive me nuts. It's like just because we're "good" we can't want to be better. They always say "it can't get better" or "it can only get worse" without understanding the landscape. They downplay any success of the past that indicates we should have success in the present as a fluke. We're just lil ol' Mittippi Tate and can't possibly be expected to do better, facts and evidence to the contrary be damned.

EAVdog
12-07-2015, 04:59 PM

Was our Offensive Line in 2014 really good or not? We produced one of the most prolific offenses in SEC history. I don't deny that we need more talented OL but we can't ignore results and just decide that our staff can't coach to get results. We've also had a good number of high rated OL recruits not live up to their rating. Not sure how you evaluate that, assign blame to the staff, or just accept that as bad luck.

nicks_hammer
12-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Was it our offensive line that was fair to good last year or was it a combination of qb and running back play that made it look good?

Thompson92
12-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Any news on some of the younger guys that we've heard so much about? Specifically Story and Williams?

Really Clark?
12-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Was it our offensive line that was fair to good last year or was it a combination of qb and running back play that made it look good?

5th best offense in SEC history. We had the same QB this year as well. JRob was great but the offense does not get those numbers without the line executing very well. Our WR were not as good last year either.

EAVdog
12-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Go watch the LSU game from last year. Our OL was rampaging. Stomping on dudes 20 yards down field, literally. They were so nasty, played with a mean streak. They performed well at Alabama last year but we bogged down in the Redzone. Personally I think that has been the fault of our goal line play calling these last couple of years though.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Go watch the LSU game from last year. Our OL was rampaging. Stomping on dudes 20 yards down field, literally. They were so nasty, played with a mean streak. They performed well at Alabama last year but we bogged down in the Redzone. Personally I think that has been the fault of our goal line play calling these last couple of years though.

We could not run the ball at all vs Bammer or Ole Missus last year. Period

mic
12-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Every program makes moves to get better.. Hiring coaches and firing coaches..
We haven't had a OL drafted since Gabe Jackson, and look at all the players recruited and signed by here since 2009..

It's time to get new blood here for the OL coach. Period..
And our AD should grow a set and make CDM address this issue or else..

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Yeah- and Croom's offenses would have one good performance a year as well.

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Every program makes moves to get better.. Hiring coaches and firing coaches..
We haven't had a OL drafted since Gabe Jackson, and look at all the players recruited and signed by here since 2009..

It's time to get new blood here for the OL coach. Period..
And our AD should grow a set and make CDM address this issue or else..

If Dan wants to get some good will back from the fans that he has lost, I think firing Hevesy would help a lot. And maybe replacing Sallach with a recruiting guru.

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 07:36 PM
No kidding. And how the hell did we get so many of those type OL the 15 years before Mullen showed up? They didn't just dry up and disappear. 15 years of producing NFL OL tells me we can absolutely find those types of players.

These poor ol' MSU types drive me nuts. It's like just because we're "good" we can't want to be better. They always say "it can't get better" or "it can only get worse" without understanding the landscape. They downplay any success of the past that indicates we should have success in the present as a fluke. We're just lil ol' Mittippi Tate and can't possibly be expected to do better, facts and evidence to the contrary be damned.

Exactly. If Felker and Croom can find some NFL caliber guys, there is zero reason why Dan can't find them either.

Really Clark?
12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah- and Croom's offenses would have one good performance a year as well.

We had just one good offensive performance last year?

Really Clark?
12-07-2015, 08:01 PM
We could not run the ball at all vs Bammer or Ole Missus last year. Period

If you pick and choose bad games for each team, nearly everybody looks terrible in a phase of the game. LSU held Bama to 106 yards. KState held Auburn to 128 yards. Etc.

mic
12-07-2015, 08:20 PM
If Dan wants to get some good will back from the fans that he has lost, I think firing Hevesy would help a lot. And maybe replacing Sallach with a recruiting guru.

Move Hevesy to TE coach and hire a OL guy who can coach AND recruit..

Bass Chaser
12-07-2015, 09:03 PM
You have to be able to recruit and develop (coach) or you won't produce championship teams.

NCDawg
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Move Hevesy to TE coach and hire a OL guy who can coach AND recruit..

Do you know of any valid reason to keep Hevesy as coach at all?

NCDawg
12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
If you pick and choose bad games for each team, nearly everybody looks terrible in a phase of the game. LSU held Bama to 106 yards. KState held Auburn to 128 yards. Etc.

Really Clark, you have to be realistic. We had no chance against Alabama or Ole Miss. Their defensive front manhandled us.

Really Clark?
12-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Really Clark, you have to be realistic. We had no chance against Alabama or Ole Miss. Their defensive front manhandled us.

They were talking about last year games and running the ball. If you go back and take the top 6 rushing teams and just look at their worse rushing games it paints a picture that they were manhandled as well. You can't just cherry pick a teams worse performances and draw a conclusion that it was bad all year.

nicks_hammer
12-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Exactly!! I think that it is this mean streak that we are lacking more so than anything. Our O-linemen seem to be lacking the drive and determination to follow through and finish. This is a direct result of poor evaluation of character which is something we like to pride ourselves on.

nicks_hammer
12-07-2015, 10:05 PM
I believe that the individual in-game match-ups create more of a challenge than scheme does. Sometimes you can scheme out of these match-ups but when a team has more talent (UNM and UA) there is no scheming to help cover you, and yes I am drankin alot tonight, thus all of the post.

dawg27
12-07-2015, 11:30 PM

100% agree i hate when people say we are state we cant do like them lets just be happy winning 7 games a year, once in a while win 8 i mean thats all we can expect right. Come on dan take the gloves off get in the ring with saban, miles,freeze, hit in the mouth and get some of those croots.

engie
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
ULM begins interviews for their vacant head coaching position tomorrow. It bares watching and Hevesy has been mentioned as a candidate. He has been talking for awhile how he wants to be a head guy.

Of course, I suspect he bombs the interview, and with our luck, they will probably steal Billy G instead...

maroonmania
12-07-2015, 11:52 PM
ULM begins interviews for their vacant head coaching position tomorrow. It bares watching and Hevesy has been mentioned as a candidate. He has been talking for awhile how he wants to be a head guy.

Of course, I suspect he bombs the interview, and with our luck, they will probably steal Billy G instead...

Yep, don't hold your breath on that one. Mullen is Mr. Charisma compared to Hevesy.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 01:49 AM
We had just one good offensive performance last year?

WTF is wrong with some of your reading comprehension? It's not like it's not on here in black and white. I SAID CROOM HAD ONE GOOD OFFENSIVE PERFORMANCE A YEAR.

And I responded to a post about the o-line performance against LSU in 2014. Just because our o-line had one good game a year ago it does not justify keeping Hevesy this year.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Yep, don't hold your breath on that one. Mullen is Mr. Charisma compared to Hevesy.

A head coaching search where Hevesy is a viable candidate is depressing even though I'm not a ULM fan.

If he did leave for them it would be ideal. But ideal things don't seem to happen to us too much lately.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 01:57 AM
Exactly!! I think that it is this mean streak that we are lacking more so than anything. Our O-linemen seem to be lacking the drive and determination to follow through and finish. This is a direct result of poor evaluation of character which is something we like to pride ourselves on.

I watched both Desper and Clayborn in high school a good bit. Both were pretty nasty and had a mean streak in high school- and yes, I know it was high school. But it's still worth noting. It makes me wonder if there's something going on from a coaching perspective that makes them not as mean.

Really Clark?
12-08-2015, 02:12 AM
WTF is wrong with some of your reading comprehension? It's not like it's not on here in black and white. I SAID CROOM HAD ONE GOOD OFFENSIVE PERFORMANCE A YEAR.

And I responded to a post about the o-line performance against LSU in 2014. Just because our o-line had one good game a year ago it does not justify keeping Hevesy this year.

Oh I know what you meant. But the line did not have just one good game last year. He just used that as an example of one. You just went extreme with your comment and I called you out because you know good and well it was ridiculous.

And no I'm saying keep Hevesy, just it's pretty short-sighted not to acknowledge that the OL was good last year. It was good in 2010 as well. Really good in pass protection in 2012. 2013 was better than people give it credit for considering our competition level that year and the mess with trying to adapt to 2 different QB's and the offensive game plans. But I can see the debate on that year for sure.

Todd4State
12-08-2015, 02:26 AM
Oh I know what you meant. But the line did not have just one good game last year. He just used that as an example of one. You just went extreme with your comment and I called you out because you know good and well it was ridiculous.

And no I'm saying keep Hevesy, just it's pretty short-sighted not to acknowledge that the OL was good last year. It was good in 2010 as well. Really good in pass protection in 2012. 2013 was better than people give it credit for considering our competition level that year and the mess with trying to adapt to 2 different QB's and the offensive game plans. But I can see the debate on that year for sure.

Right. We finished tied for seventh in the SEC in sacks allowed last year and regressed as the year went along- but I'm being "extreme". Not to mention the obvious statistical regression in rushing offense and sacks allowed since 2011 as evidenced by finishing in the bottom half or tied for seventh or worse in the SEC in rushing offense and sacks allowed every year except for last year.

Really Clark?
12-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Right. We finished tied for seventh in the SEC in sacks allowed last year and regressed as the year went along- but I'm being "extreme". Not to mention the obvious statistical regression in rushing offense and sacks allowed since 2011 as evidenced by finishing in the bottom half or tied for seventh or worse in the SEC in rushing offense and sacks allowed every year except for last year.

Quit being obtuse. Nobody has the offense output we did last year without a good OL. Nobody. Especially a team that lacks the talent we do on the OL, as per all the threads the last few days. Yeah I agree with getting better talent but that makes the job that was done last year even more impressive. And we discussed the sack rates the other day. You are taking total sacks you need to look at sacks per passing attempts. We have been one of the most pass heavy offenses in the league for the last few years as well. That total comes into play as well. We regressed last year or did we just so happen to play 3 of the top 4 defenses in the league in Nov last year. Well look at that, we did. Your opponents have talent as well in this league. And we still had a Top 4 offense in the league last Nov. It was a good line last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/ncaa-offensive-line/2014

RougeDawg
12-08-2015, 08:52 AM

I believe you have mentioned the root cause if our OLine woes... Playcalling. Personnel decisions have also hurt. Our full puss mode play calling in the bigger games has as much to do with how we view our OL as anything else. Dan should be smart enough to realize, after the first. Series, that certain 18 step drop slow developing pass plays were not going to work against Bama or OM. What does he do? Keep calling them. Is that the OLines fault? On top of that he insists on playing a 150 lb RB and an upperclassmen with blinders that cannot consistently get yards up the gut in traffic and go down at point of contact. While we have two other underclassmen who are averaging 4+ YPC and fall forward when tackled.

Yes we have OL talent deficiencies but all of the blame cannot be on that. Our scheme could have taken that into account and personnel assisted production.

BB30
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM

So we had so many 4 and 5 star lineman before mullen showed up give me a break. Name 10 4 and 5 star ol we have had in the last 15 years. And then tell me how many of those panned out. I'm not playing the poor ol msu type I'm being realistic in the fact that one landing stud 5* lineman is hard there are usually only maybe 10 in each class. I am not a saturday down south fan but here is a factual article on all of the top lineman since 08 http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/five-star-offensive-linemen-ranking/ . Tell me one what teams are they signing with and two how many actually panned out? You do not look at facts and just make blind assumptions like you are coaching on a video game and can land whoever you want.

From 01 to 09 we had signed 5 -3 stars 4-4 stars 0-5 stars and 18-2 stars man we landed a ton of those stud 4 and 5 star lineman

Coach007
12-08-2015, 11:57 AM

People have to hand it to you. Once you make up your mind, regardless if it's false information.... you hang on to it.

sandwolf
12-08-2015, 01:35 PM

I'm really not sure what you are talking about. I mean we definitely need to do a better job of recruiting OL, but you are acting like we were Offensive Lineman U before Mullen showed up. We have had a total of 10 offensive linemen drafted since 1990. We had an impressive 7 year stretch '95 to '01 during Sherrill's prime, where we had 7 OL drafted....but seeing as how we only had 3 OL drafted during the other 19 years, I would say that that 7 year period is clearly the exception rather than the rule.

BB30
12-08-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm really not sure what you are talking about. I mean we definitely need to do a better job of recruiting OL, but you are acting like we were Offensive Lineman U before Mullen showed up. We have had a total of 10 offensive linemen drafted since 1990. We had an impressive 7 year stretch '95 to '01 during Sherrill's prime, where we had 7 OL drafted....but seeing as how we only had 3 OL drafted during the other 19 years, I would say that that 7 year period is clearly the exception rather than the rule.

Exactly and of those drafted etc most were not just unbelievably highly ranked and the ones that were were from around here. We aren't going to be able to go into California, Ohio, Florida or Texas and sign the top rated OT every other year. OL is the most developmental position in football and even "sure" hits aren't guarenteed to be successful. We have to be able to land the Lashleys etc in MS and not let them get away when they are in our backyard but to think we are going to go out of state and land one of the top 8-10 lineman every year is unrealistic.