PDA

View Full Version : Hawk tackling

Dawg61
12-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Mississippi State is dead last in the NCAA at recovering fumbles. We have 1 for the entire year. This might be the worst idea Mullen & Diaz have come up with besides blitzing with your safety from 15 yards deep over and over. One ****ing fumble recovered. Diaz teaching them to tackle like he likes to put his gel in. Soft and gentle.

Sacrifice
12-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Hawk tackling and lookout blocking. Hell yeah, GO DAWGS!

maroonmania
12-06-2015, 04:02 PM
To add to the tackling technique (which evidently does nothing to help strip a ball), even when teams cough up the ball on their own our guys look totally inept trying to possess a live football. I've never seen anything quite like it. On the onside kick against the Bears the ball was laying right beside Beni Brown and he couldn't pick it up. It was pathetic.

Leroy Jenkins
12-06-2015, 05:38 PM
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/9366c6ab8e7642949062ac6fc0de9777570dba7d4d439b9bbc 94e6be8bfcc9c7_1.jpg

CadaverDawg
12-06-2015, 05:47 PM
To add to the tackling technique (which evidently does nothing to help strip a ball), even when teams cough up the ball on their own our guys look totally inept trying to possess a live football. I've never seen anything quite like it. On the onside kick against the Bears the ball was laying right beside Beni Brown and he couldn't pick it up. It was pathetic.

It really is unreal how inept we look when a fumble occurs. 1 fumble recovery is just flat out embarrassing. And Diaz is supposed to be known for takeaways.

Martianlander
12-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Our secondary was terrible at tackling the whole year. I'd call it hawk watching, not hawk tackling.

starkvegasdawg
12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Our secondary was terrible at tackling the whole year. I'd call it hawk watching, not hawk tackling.

Was going to say hawk whiffing.

gravedigger
12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Mississippi State is dead last in the NCAA at recovering fumbles. We have 1 for the entire year. This might be the worst idea Mullen & Diaz have come up with besides blitzing with your safety from 15 yards deep over and over. One ****ing fumble recovered. Diaz teaching them to tackle like he likes to put his gel in. Soft and gentle.

The more I watch it, the more I think it works for safeties and cb's in the open field, but it is terrible around the line of scrimmage.

Pros can pull it off. Cant argue with the defensive success of the seahawks. It's just not something that we can.

Sort of like blocking long enough to get to a 3rd route with a line that isn't good enough to. The more I watch games, the more I realize that Mullen's obsession with Dak getting to the 3rd route caused him to pass over open receivers to get to that route. Which left him no time to run.

The game at this level is not about protecting an investment over a 10 year plan. It's about winning for this year.

Hawk tackling experiment better be over along with the sit in the pocket and wait for the second coming.

Leroy Jenkins
12-06-2015, 08:15 PM
The more I watch it, the more I think it works for safeties and cb's in the open field, but it is terrible around the line of scrimmage.

Pros can pull it off. Cant argue with the defensive success of the seahawks. It's just not something that we can.

Sort of like blocking long enough to get to a 3rd route with a line that isn't good enough to. The more I watch games, the more I realize that Mullen's obsession with Dak getting to the 3rd route caused him to pass over open receivers to get to that route. Which left him no time to run.

The game at this level is not about protecting an investment over a 10 year plan. It's about winning for this year.

Hawk tackling experiment better be over along with the sit in the pocket and wait for the second coming.

I would argue the Seahawk success is more due to personnel not technique.

Dawg61
12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Seahawks are good at it cause they all knock the shit out of the ball carrier. They are called The Legion of Boom for a reason. Diaz forgot the Boom part I guess.

chef dixon
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Hawk tackling, dick tackling, it doesn't matter when the player beats you to the edge by 5 yards.

sandwolf
12-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Our opponents fumbled a total of 12 times this year (once per game), which ranks 114 out of 128 teams......that is pitiful and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new tackling technique was at least partly to blame for that.

But the fact that we only recovered 1 out of those 12 fumbles (9.1%) is primarily just really bad luck. That ranks dead last in FBS by a wide margin.

Opponent Fumbles per Game (https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-fumbles-per-game?date=2015-01-12)

Fumble Recovery Percentage (https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/takeaway-fumble-recovery-pct)

TXDawg
12-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Curious where the Seahawks (NFL team known for Hawk tackling) ranks in fumbles caused and fumbles recovered in each of the last 4 years - before and after Carroll implemented the technique.

Really want to see how the technique compare across all competitive levels. In other words, is it the athletes (assuming SEA ranks high within the NFL) or the technique (assuming SEA ranks about where we do relative to their peers).

Leroy Jenkins
12-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Hawk tackling, dick tackling, it doesn't matter when the player beats you to the edge by 5 yards.

Lil Nkem approves.

messageboardsuperhero
12-07-2015, 12:25 AM
Our opponents fumbled a total of 12 times this year (once per game), which ranks 114 out of 128 teams......that is pitiful and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new tackling technique was at least partly to blame for that.

But the fact that we only recovered 1 out of those 12 fumbles (9.1%) is primarily just really bad luck. That ranks dead last in FBS by a wide margin.

Opponent Fumbles per Game (https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-fumbles-per-game?date=2015-01-12)

Fumble Recovery Percentage (https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/takeaway-fumble-recovery-pct)

Our 9.1% on that stat is actually by far the worst in FBS of the recorded years (dating back to 2003). Holy hell, that's either some really bad teaching or some atrocious luck.

Honestly, I don't know that there's ever been a team recover fewer than 10% of the fumbles they force. That's unreal.

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Curious where the Seahawks (NFL team known for Hawk tackling) ranks in fumbles caused and fumbles recovered in each of the last 4 years - before and after Carroll implemented the technique.

Really want to see how the technique compare across all competitive levels. In other words, is it the athletes (assuming SEA ranks high within the NFL) or the technique (assuming SEA ranks about where we do relative to their peers).

Good question. I only looked at this year and last (all ESPN had) but it appears the Hawk tackling technique and reason for Seattle's defense being good is a myth. It's false. Seattle is near the bottom at creating turnovers but they are at the top of least turnovers themselves. Their offense doesn't turn it over much at all so they still have a positive turnover margin even though they don't creat many themselves.

smootness
12-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Good question. I only looked at this year and last (all ESPN had) but it appears the Hawk tackling technique and reason for Seattle's defense being good is a myth. It's false. Seattle is near the bottom at creating turnovers but they are at the top of least turnovers themselves. Their offense doesn't turn it over much at all so they still have a positive turnover margin even though they don't creat many themselves.

You're saying it's clear the Hawk tackling isn't one of the reasons Seattle's defense is good...and your evidence of this is in the lack of turnover they force? Perhaps because their defense is designed around simply stopping the other team, rather than relying on turnovers. And in that case, the Hawk tackling definitely helps.

Dawg61
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
You're saying it's clear the Hawk tackling isn't one of the reasons Seattle's defense is good...and your evidence of this is in the lack of turnover they force? Perhaps because their defense is designed around simply stopping the other team, rather than relying on turnovers. And in that case, the Hawk tackling definitely helps.

I am by no means discrediting the Seattle defense. It's been elite since Pete got there. I guess I should of said its a myth that Hawk tackling creates more turnovers. I do think us trying to emulate them is like IJ Ready trying to dunk like MJ though.

IMissJack
12-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Our 9.1% on that stat is actually by far the worst in FBS of the recorded years (dating back to 2003). Holy hell, that's either some really bad teaching or some atrocious luck.

Honestly, I don't know that there's ever been a team recover fewer than 10% of the fumbles they force. That's unreal.

It could be because we have so few people around the ballcarrier that's why we get fewer fumbles.