PDA

View Full Version : The SEC sucked this year

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Florida and the entire East is pitiful. The west isn't way better either. Ole miss is the second best team in the conference and they lost to freaking Memphis. Think about some of the SEC's #2 from years passed and compare them to this year's bears. It is embarrassing. This was a very down year for the league. Flame away

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Florida and the entire East is pitiful. The west isn't way better either. Ole miss is the second best team in the conference and they lost to freaking Memphis. Think about some of the SEC's #2 from years passed and compare them to this year's bears. It is embarrassing. This was a very down year for the league. Flame away

Not disagreeing that the conference was down, but which conference was better?

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Big 10 has 3 top 5 teams and 5 in top 15

Jack Lambert
12-05-2015, 09:07 PM

I got a feeling the upper bowl games are going to go like last year. We will have our answer. I don't think Bama has the offense to win the NC.

Going to be funny if SC beats the ACC champs.

MSUDawg13
12-05-2015, 09:11 PM
I agree that at the top the SEC is far weaker this year than they have been in years past. I would say the top 4 teams in the Big 12, Big 10, and maybe even ACC are stronger than the top 4 in the SEC. The SEC is still the toughest conference from top to bottom in the country though.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-05-2015, 09:13 PM
You are fooling yourself. The Big 10 and Big 12 are better

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Big 10 has 3 top 5 teams and 5 in top 15

Ohio State vs Alabama - Probably Alabama

Michigan State vs Ole Miss - I'm taking Ole Miss

Michigan vs Mississippi State, Tennessee, A&M, Arkansas, or LSU - GREAT GAME. Could go either way.

Iowa vs Mississippi State, Tennessee, A&M, Arkansas, or LSU - I'm taking the SEC team.

So there you go. I think the SEC teams would be favored in all these games except Michigan & that would be a 3 point spread either way.

You can't go by rankings because so much of rankings are dictated by schedules. If the SEC played the Big 10 in order of best team to worst team, I truly believe the SEC would win most of those matchups, or at least be favored in them.

Michigan vs

Jack Lambert
12-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I agree that at the top the SEC is far weaker this year than they have been in years past. I would say the top 4 teams in the Big 12, Big 10, and maybe even ACC are stronger than the top 4 in the SEC. The SEC is still the toughest conference from top to bottom in the country though.

LSU had a young team this year. Bama has a lot of SR starters leaving and you never know what coker is going to do when draft time comes. Ole Miss is losing every body. They might even lose Kelly if he has a good Sugar Bowl. Earlier in another thread I said LSU was going to be the same but I think they could win the SEC after looking at their roster. Obviously they have to fix the Qb situation but if Harris gets better they are going to real good.

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:16 PM

Michigan vs Mississippi State, Tennessee, A&M, Arkansas, or LSU - GREAT GAME. Could go either way.

Iowa vs Mississippi State, Tennessee, A&M, Arkansas, or LSU - I'm taking the SEC team.

So there you go. I think the SEC teams would be favored in all these games except Michigan & that would be a 3 point spread either way.

You can't go by rankings because so much of rankings are dictated by schedules. If the SEC played the Big 10 in order of best team to worst team, I truly believe the SEC would win most of those matchups, or at least be favored in them.

Michigan vs

Maybe... I know when best met best last year, bama got whipped

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:17 PM

List the teams out from best to worst, & tell me who would win.

Alabama vs Oklahoma - Alabama is better, but Oklahoma may win that game. Close game. Bama would be favored though

Oklahoma State vs Ole Miss - Ole Miss

TCU vs Tennessee, Mississippi State, A&M, LSU, or Arkansas - Back and forth. Great games. Tennessee had a huge lead on OK this year.

Baylor vs Tennesse, Mississippi State, A&M, LSU, or Arkansas - Baylor lost to Texas today

That's it. That's all they have.

So tell me again why the Big 12 is better? And before you say, Baylor lost their QBs. So did Florida. If you notice, I didn't even list them in this because they currently can't score.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Maybe... I know when best met best last year, bama got whipped

Any team can lose a game. Bama has BY FAR the most talent of any team in the country & week in and week out, they are the best team in college football. Alabama would be favored by Vegas

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-05-2015, 09:20 PM

Michigan vs

Aabama vs Ohio State. I bet you said this exact same thing last year. How'd that work out

Ole Miss Lost to Memphis. Pretty sure Michigan State could handle them.

Iowa would drill an team you just named along with them.

Michigan would drill any team you named along with them.

See I can do it too!

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Michigan vs

You matched em up weird...

I'm gonna assume Michigan state beats Iowa...

Bama vs Michigan state... I think this would be a good game. Michigan state would be able to hold up defensively and keep it low scoring. Cook is the better qb. Bama in close one

Iowa vs Florida... Iowa would beat Florida

Ohio state vs om... Give me Ohio state

mic
12-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Top to bottom they are not...

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Any team can lose a game. Bama has BY FAR the most talent of any team in the country & week in and week out, they are the best team in college football. Alabama would be favored by Vegas

Ohio state has recruited very comparable to bama. They've for the most part been #2. They flat out ran over bama last year... That wasn't luck

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Bama vs Michigan state... I think this would be a good game. Michigan state would be able to hold up defensively and keep it low scoring. Cook is the better qb. Bama in close one

I matched them up in order of who I think the best teams are. I think Ohio State is better than Michigan State, even though they lost to them. Single games are ridiculously small sample sizes that don't typically indicate who the better team actually is, unless it's a blowout. I'm going by who would be favored on a neutral field. If the Ohio State team that played Michigan last week, played Michigan State again, they'd win by 10

PassInterference
12-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Iowa would skull drag us.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:25 PM

Florida isn't close to the 2nd best team in the SEC. IMO, from the eye test, they are no better than 7th or 8th.

Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas, & A&M would all likely beat Florida if they played tomorrow. Auburn may as well, but it's really not worth arguing them.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Iowa would skull drag us.

Nope. We have more talent and would match up extremely well with them.

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Florida isn't close to the 2nd best team in the SEC. IMO, from the eye test, they are no better than 7th or 8th.

They're the runner up though and beat the 3rd place finisher by 28

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-05-2015, 09:27 PM

You really have to be kidding me

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:30 PM
They're the runner up though and beat the 3rd place finisher by 28

They are runner up because they won the East, not because they are the 2nd best team. They did beat Ole Miss, but that was with Grier & Ole Miss was on the road. If both teams played again tomorrow in the Georgia Dome, Ole Miss would probably win. 28-14 or something like that.

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:32 PM
They are runner up because they won the East, not because they are the 2nd best team. They did beat Ole Miss, but that was with Grier & Ole Miss was on the road. If both teams played again tomorrow in the Georgia Dome, Ole Miss would probably win. 28-14 or something like that.

If you're gonna match up conferences though, you have to match up by where they finish.

Coach34
12-05-2015, 09:32 PM
The SEC is young this year with lots of new QB's. Over half the the SEC has 14 or more starters returning next year and it will be a mf'er again in 2016

Coach34
12-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Ole Miss would beat Florida's ass right now...losing Grier killed them

Coach34
12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Alot depends when teams play during the season- hell, SC was one of the worst teams in the SEC- but they beat NC who is playing for the ACC title tonight and winning currently.

Blackout
12-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Iowa would beat us good grief Shotgun. Did you not watch that abortion last week?

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:39 PM
You really have to be kidding me

Not at all.

Here are Iowa's recruiting classes according to 247 since 2010:

2010 - 39
2011 - 27
2012 - 40
2013 - 58
2014 - 59
2015 - 59

This is for a toasty average of 47. MSU's average during that same period is 26, and over the past 3 years, MSU's is about 19-22. Iowa only finished ahead of MSU in recruiting one time & that was in 2011, but hasn't finished within 10 spots of MSU in any other year.

Basically, MSU's roster has far, far, far more talent on it than Iowa's. But hey, Keep freaking about over 2 homes games. It really doesn't tell the story.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:41 PM
If you're gonna match up conferences though, you have to match up by where they finish.

No I don't. That's not measuring the strength of a conference. That's measuring the end result of one game sample sizes in which your schedule and the time of year in which you play someone is heavily factored in. You base conference strength on the basis of who Vegas believes would win on a neutral field. The standings really don't offer much information.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Iowa would beat us good grief Shotgun. Did you not watch that abortion last week?

I don't understand what us getting beat by an Ole Miss team that has numerous 1st rounders on it, has to do us playing Iowa. Please explain this transitive property that you so passionately speak of....

BTW, in this abortion that you speak of, MSU did put up over 400 yards of total offense and scored 27 points. Take out a pick 6 & a fumble on MSU's first drive, where they were moving the ball, and the game is far, far closer than it appeared. We sucked in that game & must recruit better, but we absolutely don't suck & are actually a pretty good team when you look at things objectively

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:44 PM
If you look at just recruiting rankings, we're very similar to Michigan state. In actuality though, we aren't. They've won the rose, cotton, and will probably punch their playoff ticket tonight

PassInterference
12-05-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't understand what us getting beat by Ole Miss has to do us playing Iowa. Please explain this transitive property that you so passionately speak of....

The suck ass OL, no run game defensive pacifist team that got its ass beat by Ole Miss would be the same team that plays an aggressive and very good Iowa team.

Blackout
12-05-2015, 09:46 PM
I don't understand what us getting beat by an Ole Miss team that has numerous 1st rounders on it, has to do us playing Iowa. Please explain this transitive property that you so passionately speak of....

Let's look at the previous recruiting rankings between us and Northwestern leading up to 2012.

I could be very wrong but I'm thinking we greatly out crooted them and still got killed. We are soft, passive, and have zero O Line.

ETA looked it up. NW finished in the 60's in those recruiting years. There's your equivalence because 2015 = 2012 as I've said since the night of the Southern Miss game.

MannyDiazzzzNuts
12-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Does Shotgun not even hide that he's a bear anymore?

sleepy dawg
12-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Here is Sagarin's rankings of each division (Big 12 all together as 1). He uses 2 different methods of ranking. The "Central Mean" is the average of the 2 systems. He has the West as easily best conference in the country.
CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.34 84.02 ( 1) 7 83.78 ( 1)
2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.23 78.35 ( 2) 10 79.19 ( 2)
3 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 78.66 77.56 ( 3) 6 78.31 ( 3)
4 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 77.87 77.20 ( 4) 6 77.47 ( 4)
5 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 76.39 76.53 ( 5) 7 76.44 ( 5)
6 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 75.79 76.06 ( 6) 7 75.96 ( 6)
7 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 75.09 75.73 ( 7) 7 75.33 ( 7)
8 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 74.58 74.28 ( 9) 7 74.44 ( 8)
9 SEC-EAST (A) = 73.85 74.29 ( 8) 7 74.15 ( 9)
10 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 73.23 71.77 ( 10) 3 73.81 ( 10)

For full details:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2015/conference/

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM
If you look at just recruiting rankings, we're very similar to Michigan state. In actuality though, we aren't. They've won the rose, cotton, and will probably punch their playoff ticket tonight

You think they would have done that in the SEC West?

We won 10 games last year & 8 this year. My guess is that Michigan State would have done about the same. MSU & Michigan State are fairly close. MSU has more offensive fire power & Michigan State has a better defense & is better on the LOS

sandwolf
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Iowa would crush us this year. I realize that their schedule was pretty weak, but they still went on the road to beat 9-3 Wisconsin and to absolutely crush 10-2 Northwestern......and both of those wins are a hell of a lot more impressive than our best win. Not to mention the fact that they are currently going toe to toe with Michigan State.

missouridawg
12-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Vegas has Bama as a neutral site favorite over every team in the country currently, FYI.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Don't be ridiculous. Iowa would crush us this year. I realize that their schedule was pretty weak, but they still went on the road to beat 9-3 Wisconsin and to absolutely crush 10-2 Northwestern......and both of those wins are a hell of a lot more impressive than our best win. Not to mention the fact that they are currently going toe to toe with Michigan State.

I stand by what I said. Iowa could certainly beat MSU, but MSU has better players at most every position on the field. It is what it is.

missouridawg
12-05-2015, 09:56 PM
The

This just isn't correct. Iowa is a lot like LSU without the NFL RB and a little better QB. They might beat us, but we would keep it close.

If we had Iowas schedule, we'd be 12-0 too.

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:57 PM
You think they would have done that in the SEC West?

We won 10 games last year & 8 this year. My guess is that Michigan State would have done about the same. MSU & Michigan State are fairly close. MSU has more offensive fire power & Michigan State has a better defense & is better on the LOS

They've gone 35-4 the last 3 years including beating Ohio state x2, Stanford, Baylor, and Oregon. They've won rose, cotton, most likely gonna be a playoff team and 2-time big 10 champs in that period. I bleed maroon and white, but come on mane... We aren't in their league

msstate7
12-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Vegas has Bama as a neutral site favorite over every team in the country currently, FYI.

Vegas favored bama over Ohio state last year too

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I always find the perception vs reality discussions to be some of the most fascinating. Particularly after an emotional loss when everyone is ready to jump off a cliff.

College football sells itself as an even playing field across all leagues, but in reality outside of a few teams in each conference, the SEC vs other conferences is kinda like Major League baseball vs triple A from a talent standpoint. Never forget that.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Vegas favored bama over Ohio state last year too

Why can't you understand that just because a team loses a single game doesn't mean that the team that won is better. OSU lost to VT last year. Does that make VT better?

defiantdog
12-05-2015, 10:08 PM
I wish we had a big 10 OL

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I wish we had a big 10 OL

Can agree with this

PassInterference
12-05-2015, 10:11 PM
I stand by what I said. Iowa could certainly beat MSU, but MSU has better players at most every position on the field. It is what it is.

Dude, there is not a ranked team with an OL worse than our's. RBs too.

PassInterference
12-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Can agree with this

No you can't. You just said we are better than Iowa at every position (that includes OL).

Coach34
12-05-2015, 10:13 PM
aGAIN- 4-8 SC beat North Carolina who is now 11-1 and in a brawl for the ACC title.

When you play matters
Where you play matters

The biggest problem I have is that our school- State- who was considered to be inexperienced by everybody-got no better when it attained "experience" this season.

We would certainly give Iowa fits- they dont have the DL of a Bama or Ole Missus and our WR's would cause them alot of discomfort.

defiantdog
12-05-2015, 10:15 PM
aGAIN- 4-8 SC beat North Carolina who is now 11-1 and in a brawl for the ACC title.

When you play matters
Where you play matters

The biggest problem I have is that our school- State- who was considered to be inexperienced by everybody-got no better when it attained "experience" this season.

We would certainly give Iowa fits- they dont have the DL of a Bama or Ole Missus and our WR's would cause them alot of discomfort.
We're great against teams with no defense..... We suck when they have a heartbeat

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 10:19 PM
We're great against teams with no defense..... We suck when they have a heartbeat

If scoring 27 points with over 400 yards of offense against Ole Miss is sucking, then I can't imagine how awesome we'll be when we don't suck.

The sacks in the game were ugly, but I think they are slightly over shadowing some things. MSU mostly moved the ball at will. Take away a pick 6 or a fumble on the first drive, or not getting a 4th & one in Ole Miss' territory & things are different, even with those sacks. Not defending our offensive line, but I think their struggles are over shadowing many things that we do well.

PassInterference
12-05-2015, 10:27 PM
. Not defending our offensive line, but I think their struggles are over shadowing many things that we do well.

That's the point. Our poor OL overshadows everything else and keeps us from winning games that we would win with an average OL.

Really Clark?
12-05-2015, 10:36 PM
All I know is that Bama is the best defense in the country and we put up 393 yards on them (by far the second most allowed by them this year) and left points on the field. The sacks sucked (also one of the best in the country at that) and stopped us from doing more. But if they are the best then I think we can move the ball against most teams in the country. But we can't overcome shooting ourselves in the foot. We have to play clean to compete.

Pollodawg
12-05-2015, 10:46 PM
The SEC is Bama and everyone else. Has been for a while now with a slight break in 2013.

Pollodawg
12-05-2015, 10:48 PM
And what I mean to say by that is that, no, the SEC is not as good top to bottom as it has been in the past.

Coach34
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
2016 is going to be an SEC upturn- lots of returning starters for alot of teams

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 10:51 PM
And what I mean to say by that is that, no, the SEC is not as good top to bottom as it has been in the past.

I agree. The SEC is down by it's standards, but that doesn't mean that another conference is better.

The SEC has problems but every other conference has more problems.

Really Clark?
12-05-2015, 11:01 PM
The SEC is Bama and everyone else. Has been for a while now with a slight break in 2013.

Kind of disagree. In this sense, 2010 you had 4 10 win teams and us at 9. If I'm not mistake between the 5 teams they only lost to 2 teams outside of the west, Bama against So Car and Arkansas against Top 5 OSU in the Sugar. A little drop from 2011-2013 but you still had 3 10 win teams in the West each year and the west won a lot of bowl games during this time. One of the best rates in history. Historically there have not been many conferences much less one division win that many games against the rest of the country. Also, you have Auburn playing for 2 national titles winning 1 and you had the 2011 year where we had LSU and Bama as the 2 best teams in the country.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-06-2015, 12:22 AM
You are insane. Iowa was 1 foot away from a playoff birth and an 8-4 Miss St. team would easily handle them. I will have whatever you are smoking,

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Not at all.

2010 - 39
2011 - 27
2012 - 40
2013 - 58
2014 - 59
2015 - 59

This is for a toasty average of 47. MSU's average during that same period is 26, and over the past 3 years, MSU's is about 19-22. Iowa only finished ahead of MSU in recruiting one time & that was in 2011, but hasn't finished within 10 spots of MSU in any other year.

Basically, MSU's roster has far, far, far more talent on it than Iowa's. But hey, Keep freaking about over 2 homes games. It really doesn't tell the story.

Wow. In depth analysis there. Why do we even play games?

Oh, are these the same recruiting rankings that had Damien Robinson as a stud OT, too?

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Not at all.

2010 - 39
2011 - 27
2012 - 40
2013 - 58
2014 - 59
2015 - 59

Auburn's recruiting rankings from 2012-2015 are:

2012: 11
2013: 8
2014: 6
2015: 8

Auburn is better than State right? How in the world could we have ever beaten this team on their home field.

TUSK
12-06-2015, 12:40 AM

Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas, & A&M would all likely beat Florida if they played tomorrow. Auburn may as well, but it's really not worth arguing them.

I think a better gauge is "how many points [a team] could score on Florida?"... that D is legit.

note: that offense is offensive....

whatever
12-06-2015, 01:38 AM
I agree the league is down. The SEC's 2nd best team got their ass kicked by a 3 loss Memphis team, the SEC had 4 games that went into overtime vs FCS teams (losing 1), Arkansas lost to Toledo and Texas Tech at home, etc... The SEC West was 2-5 in bowl games last year with the top 3 teams getting blown out, pretty sure you guys thought the SEC would sweep all 7 games.

Also, looks like the ACC AD's are hiring circles around the SEC with Fuente/Babers/Richt/Mendenhall looking better on paper/Resume than Odom/Muschamp/Smart