PDA

View Full Version : 3 we MUST sign

preachermatt83
12-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I don't care what anyone says you CANNOT lose guys in your own back yard...
We CANNOT LOSE

AJ Brown
Kobe Jones
Scott Lashley

We SHOULDNT LOSE..

Jeffrey Simmons but I can handle losing him but We CANNOT lose those other 3. We better sign 3 of those 4 mentioned or there is gonna be a lot of angry ppl around the program that fork out a lot of money. And from what I am hearing we are not spending the time on AJ we should be and he don't like it at all.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-05-2015, 12:45 PM
I know for a fact nobody is recruiting AJ harder than MSU.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Preacher vs Scientologist**

I will be disappointed if we don't get AJ, Simmons, Lashley, and Jones.

oldjoedawg
12-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you might need a new 'source' for what you are hearing.......:confused:

We CANNOT LOSE

AJ Brown
Kobe Jones
Scott Lashley

We SHOULDNT LOSE..

Jeffrey Simmons but I can handle losing him but We CANNOT lose those other 3. We better sign 3 of those 4 mentioned or there is gonna be a lot of angry ppl around the program that fork out a lot of money. And from what I am hearing we are not spending the time on AJ we should be and he don't like it at all.

preachermatt83
12-05-2015, 12:48 PM

I hope you are right but something bothered him this weekend.

Boston
12-05-2015, 12:49 PM
I think the preacher needs some new contacts.

Taog Redloh
12-05-2015, 12:51 PM
We CANNOT LOSE

AJ Brown
Kobe Jones
Scott Lashley

We SHOULDNT LOSE..

So let me get this straight....

A.J. Brown has lived in Starkville all his life, and then decides he wants to go somewhere else for college - this is Mullen's fault? Not to mention the incredible options there are for football players out there.

I'm not saying that's what Brown wants to do, I'm simply saying that you can only do so much.

preachermatt83
12-05-2015, 12:55 PM

A.J. Brown has lived in Starkville all his life, and then decides he wants to go somewhere else for college - this is Mullen's fault? Not to mention the incredible options there are for football players out there.

I'm not saying that's what Brown wants to do, I'm simply saying that you can only do so much.

He's likely to end up in Starkville... I'm just saying we better not take it as a done deal.

preachermatt83
12-05-2015, 12:55 PM

I'll settle for 3 of the 4

Sacrifice
12-05-2015, 12:58 PM

If we lose AJ Brown I'm literally gonna throw up on myself. If we're gonna compete against teams in the west, these are the players we have to sign. No excuse for Mullen losing him. Just do whatever we have to do.

cheewgumm
12-05-2015, 01:00 PM
You're right. We can't lose those.

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2015, 01:03 PM

I don't understand why you say you'll settle for 3 of the 4. I'll be disappointed if we don't get ALL 4. We have to win these battles and raise our expectations.

At all costs. Get these players.

SDDawg
12-05-2015, 01:04 PM

These plus Davis - I think Dan needs all 5. Yes, that's going to be really hard. But that's my expectation of Dan - he needs to step his game up on the recruiting front.

maroonmania
12-05-2015, 01:06 PM

Exactly, if you aren't going to recruit and pull in enough top level SEC talents then you are trying to play in this league with one hand tied behind your back. It was pathetic in that Egg Bowl seeing how much more pure athletic talent OM had available to them than we do.

SDDawg
12-05-2015, 01:06 PM
I don't understand why you say you'll settle for 3 of the 4. I'll be disappointed if we don't get ALL 4. We have to win these battles and raise our expectations.

At all costs. Get these players.

Exactly. I also want to see Dan play some mind games on Freeze and steal somebody. Dan is not occupying any space in Freeze's head so hit him where it hurts most - the guy lives for recruiting. Get onnit, Dan.

HancockCountyDog
12-05-2015, 01:10 PM

That's why we are getting passed by.

If you can't sign top 100 prospects that happen to be in the golden triangle, we have a problem. If simmons or brown both don't sign with MSU, we are failing to reach the next level. We need impact players. These guys are both impact players and happen to be within an hour of our campus.

Failing to sign both is a problem. If either go to the bears, it's a disaster.

HancockCountyDog
12-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Exactly. I also want to see Dan play some mind games on Freeze and steal somebody. Dan is not occupying any space in Freeze's head so hit him where it hurts most - the guy lives for recruiting. Get onnit, Dan.

Good idea, I would love Cooley or Benito Jones. They are both instant impact guys and would have a chance to crack our two deep.

Sacrifice
12-05-2015, 01:18 PM
It kind of reminds me of that movie MS Burning, when the FBI guy keeps trying to do things "the right way" but wasn't making any progress, then Gene Hackman slaps the sh!t out of him and tells him close your eyes we're gonna do things my way. We have to get better at recruiting because what we've been doing is not working.

BankerDog
12-05-2015, 01:18 PM

You must not know the full Leo Lewis and Chris Jones stories then.

BankerDog
12-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Good idea, I would love Cooley or Benito Jones. They are both instant impact guys and would have a chance to crack our two deep.

They're giving Jones too much to overcome. Didn't Todd Breland at Laurel play for us back awhile ago? I don't understand why we can't get his guys. They have a WR in next year's class that's all but going to OM too.

mic
12-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Our staff dropped the ball big time on not offering Dylan Bradley..
Has played really well for USM and would have basically made Simmons a no brainier coming here..

Jack Lambert
12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

He's probably been reading this board or print outs of it.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Has played really well for USM and would have basically made Simmons a no brainier coming here..

Yep, I knew we should have offered him that entire recruiting season. He's a good player. Simmons must not have been known then, otherwise Freeze woulda been all over that family connection. Not us though.

cheewgumm
12-05-2015, 01:55 PM
If we can't sign good players this close to home I have little hope on recruiting otherwise. How could you?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-05-2015, 02:11 PM
And from what I am hearing we are not spending the time on AJ we should be and he don't like it at all.

AJ said in an interview this past week that Mississippi State & Alabama are recruiting him the hardest. Then mentioned Cal. No mention of UMiss until the interviewer explicitly asked him what was most appealing about them.

"Which schools would you say are recruiting you the hardest?"

"Uh my home state, I mean, Mississippi State.. Um Alabama.. Cal, Cal's on me real hard"

defiantdog
12-05-2015, 02:27 PM

AJ is good friends with a lot of guys on State's team. He's also close with a few guys on the basketball team. Don't look into a high school guy's twitter and think something is bothering him. He has made a point to say he isn't going to open up his recruitment until high school football was over. Also, Mullen was the first coach to notice AJ. Mullen is also at every Starkville game he can possibly get too. As Ifyouonlyknew said, no one is even close to recruiting him as hard as we are. AJ wants to keep his options open, but as a lot of these Mississippi blue chip guys say, they want to play for their home state and win. Nigel Knott is more of a concern right now. When signing day gets closer, Knott will be a toss up between us and Bama.

maroonmania
12-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Yep, I knew we should have offered him that entire recruiting season. He's a good player. Simmons must not have been known then, otherwise Freeze woulda been all over that family connection. Not us though.

Yep, signing one player to get another is much more out of the OM recruiting playbook than it is ours. Not an issue for them because they have no problems dumping the player used once his usefulness is complete. In Bradley's case though he would have definitely contributed for us.

the59dawg
12-05-2015, 02:37 PM

Thanks Dan for a little reality and truth. Wish we had a lot more like you on this board.

HoopsDawg
12-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I'd take 2 out of 4 if those 2 were Simmons and Lashley. Any combo that doesn't include Simmons is a huge let down. We desperately need quality D-linemen or we are going to sink back to the bottom of the conference.

Coach34
12-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Simmons is the best player in the state- followed by Brown. Lashley is a family connection- no way we should lose him.

Those 3 are absolute musts

HSVDawg
12-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Well I would certainly hope so. Mullen and our staff can go see him literally any time we want, even during game week prep.

War Machine Dawg
12-05-2015, 03:10 PM
I think the preacher needs some new contacts.

I think the preacher needs to stick to preaching. His sources suck and he brings nothing substantive.

Noxdog
12-05-2015, 03:37 PM
I think the preacher needs to stick to preaching. His sources suck and he brings nothing substantive.

Well I guess om can have it's rev guy odom, so preacher matt is ours???

Scary.

SDDawg
12-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Guy Odom is a pig... I don't think there is is a person on this board that is 10% as bad as that clown.

msstate7
12-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Dylan Bradley stats this year for usm...

41 tackles 11.5 tfl 6.5 sacks

Yeah, he could've helped us

t45fixer
12-05-2015, 04:04 PM
We can't afford Benito Jones. Been on a Bear boosters payroll for about 2 1/2 years. I want him but he thinks state d lineman are soft. I tend to agree sometimes.

mic
12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
We can't afford Benito Jones. Been on a Bear boosters payroll for about 2 1/2 years. I want him but he thinks state d lineman are soft. I tend to agree sometimes.

I give a shit about that guy..
Just get Simmons...

t45fixer
12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
When comes by to go deer hunting after all this football is over, we will sit down and I'll give him another long talk. Hopefully he will listen.

Percho
12-05-2015, 04:31 PM
That's why we are getting passed by.

If you can't sign top 100 prospects that happen to be in the golden triangle, we have a problem. If simmons or brown both don't sign with MSU, we are failing to reach the next level. We need impact players. These guys are both impact players and happen to be within an hour of our campus.

Failing to sign both is a problem. If either go to the bears, it's a disaster.

They all should have had rides to our games as 10 year old's.

SDDawg
12-05-2015, 04:47 PM
We don't need to flip the crown jewel of their class, let's just F with them and grab a guy like Tee from them late. You can't tell me it can't be done, we know it can be.

Get to work, Dan.

dawgs
12-05-2015, 06:23 PM

ask yourself, would freeze swing and miss on a stud recruit in their own backyard? HELL NO.

Coach34
12-05-2015, 07:59 PM
ask yourself, would freeze swing and miss on a stud recruit in their own backyard? HELL NO.

yep- and we are in a fight until the end

Ifyouonlyknew
12-05-2015, 08:13 PM
My God this is going to be a long unbearable couple of months.

cheewgumm
12-05-2015, 08:29 PM

If we don't sign some stud players, it's going to be a long unbearable couple of years.

Tripp McNeely
12-05-2015, 09:06 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ THIIIIIIIIISSSS!!!

maroonmania
12-05-2015, 09:44 PM
If we don't sign some stud players, it's going to be a long unbearable couple of years.

Sad part is that this is the class that we should have gotten the most bump with in spending 5 weeks at #1 last season and yet I don't even think we even have ONE 4 or 5 star player committed yet.

tcdog70
12-05-2015, 09:58 PM

Pretty stupid not signing Dylan. He has Started for USM since he was a freshman. He singled handed beat Starkville. He was a terror. Simmons , I feel good about, but damn just sign Bradley, He could be playing for Us.

tcdog70
12-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Dylan Bradley stats this year for usm...

41 tackles 11.5 tfl 6.5 sacks

Yeah, he could've helped us

He sacked Dak and had a tackle for a loss

maroonmania
12-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Pretty stupid not signing Dylan. He has Started for USM since he was a freshman. He singled handed beat Starkville. He was a terror. Simmons , I feel good about, but damn just sign Bradley, He could be playing for Us.

We sometimes get too caught up in the measurables but dang, when its easy to see that a guy like Bradley is just a good football player then sign him. Obviously we weren't the only ones not to offer Bradley, but measurables didn't stop OM from signing Gross.

Jacksondevildog
12-05-2015, 10:17 PM
We sometimes get too caught up in the measurables but dang, when its easy to see that a guy like Bradley is just a good football player then sign him. Obviously we weren't the only ones not to offer Bradley, but measurables didn't stop OM from signing Gross.

Or us signing a 5-8, 160lb RB.

BossDawg
12-05-2015, 10:20 PM
If we lose AJ Brown I'm literally gonna throw up on myself. If we're gonna compete against teams in the west, these are the players we have to sign. No excuse for Mullen losing him. Just do whatever we have to do.

I'm sure a lot of it has little to do with Mullen. Well, so to speak. We have people that need to step it up and make sure Brown's (and other recruits) needs are taken care of.

mic
12-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Or us signing a 5-8, 160lb RB.

We if we couldn't see that Simmons was probably going to be possible SEC talent in the 10th grade when teams are offering kids that are in the 9th grade then we are worse than I thought..
And it's not like Bradley was Delta State or Miss College talent.
I think he started as a frosh at USM... We would have red shirted him anyway like we do everyone else... Plus it's Noxubee County and the kid wanted to come here...

FISHDAWG
12-06-2015, 09:39 AM

yep ... but I think it wouldn't have been this bad if the whole Miami thing didn't happen ... Dan brought this on himself. It might not be enormous but there is a price to pay when you step out on your mate ... it will die down if: a) Dan signs these last key guys ... b) Nick & Elijah have a good spring.
there are guys on this board still defending Dan - but he has to give them some help

tcdog70
12-06-2015, 11:40 AM
When teams sign Noxubee Kids they play. The all-SWAC defense player is a no brainier LB that we could have signed. Acorn has a really good WR from Noxubee. Dylan was the second best player in the State next to Jones.

HancockCountyDog
12-06-2015, 12:09 PM

Yeah, right around the time our OL was abused for the 5th time in about 10 plays leading to a pick six, the writing was on the wall.

dawgs
12-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Yep

Todd4State
12-06-2015, 01:01 PM
yep ... but I think it wouldn't have been this bad if the whole Miami thing didn't happen ... Dan brought this on himself. It might not be enormous but there is a price to pay when you step out on your mate ... it will die down if: a) Dan signs these last key guys ... b) Nick & Elijah have a good spring.
there are guys on this board still defending Dan - but he has to give them some help

I think he needs to at the very least fire Hevesy as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-06-2015, 11:24 PM
*Drops mic..walks off....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Those impact guys from the famed 2013 class weren't the difference makers in that game...Kelly was. Treadwell really didn't do much. With that being said, I think that class really didn't live up to expectations but if you notice, it started momentum for OM in recruiting. And they did it primarily by thinking outside the box. They gave a scholly to one of Treadwells friends a year earlier....We all know the Nkemdichies story...and this year with Patterson's brother getting a job on staff. Once they got these top guys, other recruits took notice and they don't give two shits about the back stories. All they see is that players are going to OM. I don't know where we stand with Derrick Brown now but he would be one of those type players for us. I can imagine it is hard as hell to get 5* type guys to come to Mississippi, so we have to think outside the box to get them here.

dawgs
12-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Treadwell really didn't do much.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/id/8/sec-conference

yeah treadwell didn't have an on field impact :confused:

msstate7
12-06-2015, 11:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/id/8/sec-conference

Think he meant in the egg

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Think he meant in the egg

Is this a good thing? Why are we trying to prove that we got throttled by guys that will most likely be on their team next year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-07-2015, 01:15 AM
J

IN THE EGG BOWL

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-07-2015, 01:19 AM
i think Jordan Duncan(his good friend) is committed to Cal is he not? I guess that's the interest in Cal

Todd4State
12-07-2015, 02:18 AM
i think Jordan Duncan(his good friend) is committed to Cal is he not? I guess that's the interest in Cal

He is. Pretty embarrassing that USM isn't getting him to be honest with you.

Cal has a ton of coaches that have ties to the South- Louisiana and Mississippi in particular. And their DL coach is from Hattiesburg and has coached at USM and EMCC. Their DC and CB coach both were on Tuberville's staff at Ole Miss and Auburn as well.

RougeDawg
12-07-2015, 09:36 AM

If he had signed with us we still wouldn't know how good he was because he would've redshirted and then been brought up to speed slowly over his first two seasons.

Maroonthirteen
12-07-2015, 10:13 AM
I learned a hard lesson about MSU recruiting a very long time ago........

We CAN most certainly lose recruits in our own backyard. It isn't ideal for a school to have that happen. Yes, you want to sign those guys but.......little Ol, poor, pitiful MSU.

The first recruiting heart break I recall was mid 80s. Of course I was just a kid then and didn't know anything other what I heard at the barber shop. But all I heard was how West Point had these two stud players.....Sykes...I think. Anyway...State was getting thier signature. They were going to be awesome Bulldogs. Then Ole Brewer sweeps in with who knows what. Moma changed her mind and they ended up being good players at OM. ...from West Point! One brother was better than the other but yall get the point.

THen a decade later....Friend and Milons from Starkville. Now, losing a kid from the GTR to ALabama is one thing. Losing a kid to OM is another. The GTR is very much a Alabama/MSU area and OM in the rear. But it is probably more Alabama today (because of their success lately) then State. So, if Alabama comes calling on any of those guys....I would be shocked if we acquired their signature. So as long as Bama has targets elsewhere, I like our chances at 50/50 on the kids outside Starkville. THe kids in Starkville.....75%. Maybe someone else can speak on what is going on in Macon. But the LAST big time player they had that both OM/State wanted really bad........well, I hear we never had a chance. Just what I heard though.......but I am not optimistic on signing that guy. I hope we do! He is very good. But......the Bears just have their $#%^ together much better in recruiting. NOt to mention, fans that are heavily involved. ....making up fake twitter accounts and tweeting ad nause at the recruits from the covert and their overt accounts. Hell, I know a middle aged, good looking blonde Ole Miss woman. I saw her freakout, at the sight of a current OM player, like a 1950s teenage girl running into Elvis. I thought she was going to take her panties off and put them around the guys neck. Seriously. We may have fans like that......but I have never seen one. Anyway......if we CAN NOT lose guys in the GTR, our big boy money guys that are going to Keenum and bitching about Dan better refocus their efforts and get their women to throw some panties (jk on the panties part).

Anyway, I could on and on...my rant for the week. On a positive, we are recruiting at a higher level that in the past. The problem is our fans are comparing our recruiting to a annual national championship program and a rogue, dirty program.

Jarius
12-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Our recruiting problems stem from our recruiting footprint. We are always going to split prospects within the state of MS. We have 2 SEC schools in this state. Neither team is going to get them all. Mullen coming in here preaching "getting all of the top players in this state" was just unrealistic. We have to branch out from the 3 or 4 state area that we recruit in. We have a 100 million dollar budget. We have the SEC network and every single game we play is on TV. We play in the best conference in the country. We have upgraded our facilities with $50 million dollars. It's time to start seeing the recruiting benefits from all of this. We shouldn't have to lean on the state of MS having a good year for prospects to determine whether or not we have a good recruiting class any more. This isn't 1995.

RougeDawg
12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Some of you are only looking small picture when it comes to recruiting.when you look at the larger picture and tie everything together you will see why we are getting the results on field and in recruiting that we are. It's a cycle that has to be changed in order to reach the next level, but is has to be changed from Sept-December.

The biggest glaring issue, our current PT record and Developmental philosophy, is not only hurting our on field performance, it is also hurting on the recruiting trail. Dan's inability to identify and play the most talented players on our team, for whatever reason, right away as true freshman is detrimental. We brought along Chris Jones and left the training wheels on for 1.5 seasons. We redshirt other potential 3 and done guys. We don't play our best RB because of age. All of these things not only hurt W's and L's immediately, they also impact recruiting. Another school selling and showing immediate PT is much more appealing than possible PT, a possible RS, and training wheels for at least your first season playing. What top guy wants to come play for that, honestly?

Chris Jones should have been thrown in the mix from snap one (he didn't get significant snaps until around weeks 6-7). Along with Dear, Lewis, Green, Peters, Bryant, and so on and so forth. Only injuries forced our coaching staff to put most of these guys on the field. Until we change our coaching/playing time philosophy on the GD field, we will not be able to make many changes on the recruiting path with these upper recruits. Shit even Bama gets their impact true freshman more PT than we seem to be able to and they have a ton more talent than we do.

Maroonthirteen
12-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Some of you are only looking small picture when it comes to recruiting.when you look at the larger picture and tie everything together you will see why we are getting the results on field and in recruiting that we are. It's a cycle that has to be changed in order to reach the next level, but is has to be changed from Sept-December.

The biggest glaring issue, our current PT record and Developmental philosophy, is not only hurting our on field performance, it is also hurting on the recruiting trail. Dan's inability to identify and play the most talented players on our team, for whatever reason, right away as true freshman is detrimental. We brought along Chris Jones and left the training wheels on for 1.5 seasons. We redshirt other potential 3 and done guys. We don't play our best RB because of age. All of these things not only hurt W's and L's immediately, they also impact recruiting. Another school selling and showing immediate PT is much more appealing than possible PT, a possible RS, and training wheels for at least your first season playing. What top guy wants to come play for that, honestly?

Chris Jones should have been thrown in the mix from snap one (he didn't get significant snaps until around weeks 6-7). Along with Dear, Lewis, Green, Peters, Bryant, and so on and so forth. Only injuries forced our coaching staff to put most of these guys on the field. Until we change our coaching/playing time philosophy on the GD field, we will not be able to make many changes on the recruiting path with these upper recruits. Shit even Bama gets their impact true freshman more PT than we seem to be able to and they have a ton more talent than we do.

Well, yeah, then there is this too. Why Dear didn't play a lot more....A LOT.....is frustrating as hell for the fans. I can't imagine the player's feelings.

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Biggest issue we have had recruiting wise was one cycle that didn't pan out on the OL. Yeah we can change some things in recruiting to help nationally. But it has to begin with how us as fun approach the team and recruiting

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Biggest issue we have had recruiting wise was one cycle that didn't pan out on the OL. Yeah we can change some things in recruiting to help nationally. But it has to begin with how us as fun approach the team and recruiting

Is this a legitimate Elitedawgs account or is this just a random poster?

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2015, 11:53 AM

This is a great post.

If y'all think the bear propaganda is bad now, wait until the first round of the draft. It will be non stop about how the bears have put these guys in the pros, but not just drafted, but early first round.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Peters got to play as a true freshman. Bryant started most of the games. Lewis wanted to redshirt. We worked Dear in and let him play slot b/c that's where he wanted to play. Green is out of position, but he got plenty of playing time. Most of the guys we sign do need to redshirt b/c we aren't signing upper-tier talent. If we signed Derrick Brown for example, he would start from Day 1.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Is this a legitimate Elitedawgs account or is this just a random poster?

This is legit- new addition to the Board

HoopsDawg
12-07-2015, 12:48 PM

did I seen it get another username.

msstate7
12-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Peters got to play as a true freshman. Bryant started most of the games. Lewis wanted to redshirt. We worked Dear in and let him play slot b/c that's where he wanted to play. Green is out of position, but he got plenty of playing time. Most of the guys we sign do need to redshirt b/c we aren't signing upper-tier talent. If we signed Derrick Brown for example, he would start from Day 1.

How different would we look at next season if we sign brown and Simmons? Move green to de and we have a very solid dline... Really front 7

War Machine Dawg
12-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Excellent, excellent point. Say what you will about "Tom" during baseball season, but he's spot on with this post. Elite players want to play and play without training wheels. And our PT philosophy traces back to what I've been saying all season - Dan is too risk averse. He just doesn't trust young players to not constantly screw up. He'd rather watch a less talented, older player screw up repeatedly than risk putting a more talented younger player on the field. It's just who he is and I don't see him changing this tendency. Don't know where he got it, outside of just being a natural personality trait, because he sure didn't get it from Urban. Urban throws his talented freshmen to the wolves and lets them play.

dawgs
12-07-2015, 04:06 PM
J

IN THE EGG BOWL

Well teams with big leads and kicking our asses all over the field tend to go with a conservative offense to ensure we don't get back in the game with a pick 6. And they try to shorten the game running the ball more to eat up clock instead of stopping the clock with each incompletion.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Awesome.

Curious how this account will be used?

Is this separate from Ifyouonlyknew &, if so, are different sources used?

dawgs
12-07-2015, 04:09 PM

The problem is an overwhelming number of our OL recruits tend to rate in the bottom 25-30% of our class according to 247 composite ratings. Say what you will about busts and diamonds in the rough, but overall, the better the ranking, the better chance a guy has of being a quality player. When we consistently sign OL rated <85 on the 247 composite rankings, it shouldn't be a surprise when the OL don't pan out from a cycle or 2.

dawg27
12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
yep- and we are in a fight until the end

He did not metcalf oxford has been committed all year not considering state.Or no other school two 4 stars in our back yard both have considered ole miss, something is wrong.

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-07-2015, 04:51 PM
The problem is an overwhelming number of our OL recruits tend to rate in the bottom 25-30% of our class according to 247 composite ratings. Say what you will about busts and diamonds in the rough, but overall, the better the ranking, the better chance a guy has of being a quality player. When we consistently sign OL rated <85 on the 247 composite rankings, it shouldn't be a surprise when the OL don't pan out from a cycle or 2.

I agree with some of that but it also depends on who is doing the rankings. Scout by and large has been more accurate when it comes down to what the ranked and who became a star player. Each network has its pros and cons. One of the things you nailed was who we were after. One class that had a couple of four stars in it turned out to be a bust. While it's not ever going to be an exact science I think we can all agree that it's about finding kids that can play and compete early. The 4 year to get there plan is not working and we need to nail a few classes. That's why losing a kid that has been committed to us for a long time isn't a big deal as long as he is similar to what we have swung at and missed with in the past

HancockCountyDog
12-07-2015, 07:06 PM
He did not metcalf oxford has been committed all year not considering state.Or no other school two 4 stars in our back yard both have considered ole miss, something is wrong.

They have a family connection with Metcalf, like we do with Lashley. You don't see Lashley considering the bears. They just got lucky with the connection, and we get AJ in the end.

Coach34
12-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah- Metcalf's Dad played at OM- going to State was never an option. Same for Lashley at West Point- no chance of him going to Oxford

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-07-2015, 11:24 PM
No it's in our playbook too...we just never seal the deal..we offered Khane Pass hoping to get brother Jawon..both went to the Ville. And who was the twin brothers from Florida we offered a few years back? One was a stud the others dud and we missed on both.

preachermatt83
12-08-2015, 01:36 PM
No it's in our playbook too...we just never seal the deal..we offered Khane Pass hoping to get brother Jawon..both went to the Ville. And who was the twin brothers from Florida we offered a few years back? One was a stud the others dud and we missed on both.

We pulled the older brothers offer. We could have had both had we signed the older. We don't play the game.

Homedawg
12-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I learned a hard lesson about MSU recruiting a very long time ago........

We CAN most certainly lose recruits in our own backyard. It isn't ideal for a school to have that happen. Yes, you want to sign those guys but.......little Ol, poor, pitiful MSU.

The first recruiting heart break I recall was mid 80s. Of course I was just a kid then and didn't know anything other what I heard at the barber shop. But all I heard was how West Point had these two stud players.....Sykes...I think. Anyway...State was getting thier signature. They were going to be awesome Bulldogs. Then Ole Brewer sweeps in with who knows what. Moma changed her mind and they ended up being good players at OM. ...from West Point! One brother was better than the other but yall get the point.

THen a decade later....Friend and Milons from Starkville. Now, losing a kid from the GTR to ALabama is one thing. Losing a kid to OM is another. The GTR is very much a Alabama/MSU area and OM in the rear. But it is probably more Alabama today (because of their success lately) then State. So, if Alabama comes calling on any of those guys....I would be shocked if we acquired their signature. So as long as Bama has targets elsewhere, I like our chances at 50/50 on the kids outside Starkville. THe kids in Starkville.....75%. Maybe someone else can speak on what is going on in Macon. But the LAST big time player they had that both OM/State wanted really bad........well, I hear we never had a chance. Just what I heard though.......but I am not optimistic on signing that guy. I hope we do! He is very good. But......the Bears just have their $#%^ together much better in recruiting. NOt to mention, fans that are heavily involved. ....making up fake twitter accounts and tweeting ad nause at the recruits from the covert and their overt accounts. Hell, I know a middle aged, good looking blonde Ole Miss woman. I saw her freakout, at the sight of a current OM player, like a 1950s teenage girl running into Elvis. I thought she was going to take her panties off and put them around the guys neck. Seriously. We may have fans like that......but I have never seen one. Anyway......if we CAN NOT lose guys in the GTR, our big boy money guys that are going to Keenum and bitching about Dan better refocus their efforts and get their women to throw some panties (jk on the panties part).

Anyway, I could on and on...my rant for the week. On a positive, we are recruiting at a higher level that in the past. The problem is our fans are comparing our recruiting to a annual national championship program and a rogue, dirty program.

Friend didn't steer Milons to Alabama....that's not accurate. He was the coach at shs and his son played there, but he wasn't pushed that way, at all.

Homedawg
12-08-2015, 01:44 PM

I don't have a problem w the general post, but Chris jones played on the second series of the Oklahoma at game. He got a ton of snaps from the start. Did he play as much as you wanted him to? I don't know but he played right out of the gate.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-08-2015, 01:48 PM
yea....who wants a 4 star dual threat QB anyway....We got to have 3*

Maroonthirteen
12-08-2015, 02:51 PM
I didn't say Milons was pushed there. I said Friend (the boy that played Center NOT the dad/coach) AND Milons went to Bama. Hence, we do lose kids from Starkville IF Bama wants them. Bama didn't want the younger Milons......guess where he played. That was my point.

Homedawg
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
I didn't say Milons was pushed there. I said Friend (the boy that played Center NOT the dad/coach) AND Milons went to Bama. Hence, we do lose kids from Starkville IF Bama wants them. Bama didn't want the younger Milons......guess where he played. That was my point.

Gotcha. My bad. I've just read that from people before and thought that's what you were saying...sorry for confusion.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-08-2015, 03:12 PM

Will Friend didn't play at Starkville. So just Milons that Bama got from Starkville.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't have a problem w the general post, but Chris jones played on the second series of the Oklahoma at game. He got a ton of snaps from the start. Did he play as much as you wanted him to? I don't know but he played right out of the gate.

I don't agree with everything in Rouge's post, but the overall point I think is spot on. If you think the bear propaganda is bad now, just wait until the first night of the draft.

If all of the bear five star commits from 2013 go in the first round, and Chris Jones doesn't go until the 2nd or 3rd round - we will have a major perception problem that they developed their five stars into first round picks, while our five star who I think was the most talented of the four players, didn't get drafted until the 2nd round.

djaymsu5
12-08-2015, 10:40 PM
The thing that helps freeze with recruiting is he makes a promise to play these kids in year one and he keeps promise for the most part. Mullen doesn't hardly ever play a freshman. I'm sorry but kids don't want to go to a school where they have to redshirt their first year whether they think they need it or not. It's good for a developmental player like majority of what we sign but guys Simmons, Lashley, and Brown should be playing in year one. I understand Mullen doesn't make promises to kids but that's what is hurting him in the recruiting aspect. I've noticed that a lot of times unless it's an in state kid or someone we have ties to we don't even go after many big 4 and 5 star players out of state cause I honestly believe Mullen knows he can't get them. He's got to be confident and sell the program. Can't just live on 3 stars from MS, AL, LA, TN and GA and then every once in awhile snag a big talent in state and expect to compete against the big boys.

djaymsu5
12-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Mullen needs to play the more talented players regardless if they are a freshman or senior. There is a reason they are rated a high 4 star or 5 star