PDA

View Full Version : Year End Article each teams weaknesses

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Interesting read from the mothership

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/111612/the-flaw-that-costs-teams-from-playing-for-the-sec-title

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-04-2015, 12:17 PM
F'n Pathetic:
"Mississippi State: Without the help of a well-rounded running game, the offense became too much of a one-man show under Prescott and couldn't sustain long drives to keep the defense off the field. Mississippi State was the only team in the SEC with fewer than 1,000 yards rushing from its running backs (875). The backs couldn’t score more than five rushing touchdowns and had the fewest rushes for 10-plus yards in the league (23)."

confucius say
12-04-2015, 12:21 PM
F'n Pathetic:
"Mississippi State: Without the help of a well-rounded running game, the offense became too much of a one-man show under Prescott and couldn't sustain long drives to keep the defense off the field. Mississippi State was the only team in the SEC with fewer than 1,000 yards rushing from its running backs (875). The backs couldn’t score more than five rushing touchdowns and had the fewest rushes for 10-plus yards in the league (23)."

Yea that's pretty bad. Our backs also had the fewest attempts though fwiw

Lloyd Christmas
12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Interesting read from the mothership

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/111612/the-flaw-that-costs-teams-from-playing-for-the-sec-title

Not to turn this into a Mullen bashing thread...but his inability to recognize Malik Dear as a good RB alternative and continuing to run our 180 pound scat back up the gut were retarded decisions.

ETA: Seriously, why in the f**k was Malik playing in the slot?

mic
12-04-2015, 01:04 PM
F'n Pathetic:

Running Game Coordinator ... John Hevsey...

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Running Game Coordinator ... John Hevsey...

This is in no way a defense of this years run game or OL but he was the run game coordinator last year as well.

mic
12-04-2015, 01:23 PM
This is in no way a defense of this years run game or OL but he was the run game coordinator last year as well.

I am aware.. And gonzo was the passing game coordinator last year as well.... We see how much improvement we are getting there..
Time for an upgrade at the OL position...
Like a few have said about "cutting bait" with players.. Time to cut bait with coaches...

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 01:29 PM
I am aware.. And gonzo was the passing game coordinator last year as well.... We see how much improvement we are getting there..
Time for an upgrade at the OL position...
Like a few have said about "cutting bait" with players.. Time to cut bait with coaches...

Didn't say otherwise. But as big a negative for this year, that you wanted to point out who the coordinator was, then be also note that he had us 3rd in the league last year rushing. To be honest, neither Gonzo or Hevasey get full credit for either of the positives or negatives. It's Mullen's offense and he should get more blame and credit. Hev should be looked at mainly as what the OL did in their part of each phase of the offense. IMO

ETA. Dak has a lot to do with a better passing game. Worked his butt off and Dan still is one of the best QB developers in the game. Gonzo has a lot to do with his receivers being good. Great job with Ross this past year.

FISHDAWG
12-04-2015, 01:43 PM
so even Vandy beat us out in this category ? ... that's just unacceptable

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2015, 08:34 PM
so even Vandy beat us out in this category ? ... that's just unacceptable

I'd trade Shump and Holloway for Ralph Webb. That cat can play.

SDDawg
12-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Right, but even worse is that their OL is clearly more effective than ours. Frightening.

Coach34
12-04-2015, 08:48 PM
The OL will be better next year- its not even a doubt about that- how much is the question. I'm more concerned about what the OL will be in 2017.2018, and 2019. We are working on that right now and it must be recruited better for the results we want.

NYDawg
12-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Seems pretty spot on. We were 99th in the country in sacks allowed and 102nd in rushing. Hevesy might have milked as much as he could out of the line last year, but we really crapped the bed in his areas of responsibility this year.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-04-2015, 09:29 PM

I'm ignorant on Webb, but it's not Shump's fault he is playing out of position and that our coaches haven't done a good job of getting backs ready to prevent Holloway from being an every down back.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 11:11 PM

Having a NFL caliber RB and a dual threat Heisman QB helped them out a LOT in 2014.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 11:14 PM
The OL will be better next year- its not even a doubt about that- how much is the question. I'm more concerned about what the OL will be in 2017.2018, and 2019. We are working on that right now and it must be recruited better for the results we want.

We may be "better"- but I think we will still be bad. And we won't have Dak next year to run for his life and make plays. And we still have Holloway and Shumpert running up the middle...

And as far as recruiting- we have seen a steady decline in sacks allowed since Hevesy has been here- culminating with this years clown show.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm ignorant on Webb, but it's not Shump's fault he is playing out of position and that our coaches haven't done a good job of getting backs ready to prevent Holloway from being an every down back.

It would be nice if they gave them more of a chance. Aeris fumbles once- dog house. Holloway fumbled in three of our last four games this year I believe- granted one was on a kick return. Still plays. All they have to do is put them out there and give them the ball.

But what I don't understand is when Lee and Williams played- they looked good for the most part.

And then there is Dear who we seem to be hell bent on playing him exclusively at slot WR. Dan obviously has forgotten how to use someone like Percy Harvin.

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Having a NFL caliber RB and a dual threat Heisman QB helped them out a LOT in 2014.

Sure it helps. Had the same QB this years as well. They also excited the run plays better as well. Including the OL. Which he was responsible for. Execution was a big part of those numbers as well. The original point was if you lay the lack of run game strickly at his feet because he is the run game coordinator then he was responsible for the very good success we had last year. Tic for tac.

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 11:32 PM
We may be "better"- but I think we will still be bad. And we won't have Dak next year to run for his life and make plays. And we still have Holloway and Shumpert running up the middle...

And as far as recruiting- we have seen a steady decline in sacks allowed since Hevesy has been here- culminating with this years clown show.

Not really on sacks. You have to calculate the sacks per pass attempt. The previous three years have been almost identical. This year was 1% worse than last year. We threw more than any year as well. I will say the 2012 team was probably the best we have had in pass protection considering the number of attempts we made. This year was still disappointing in the fact the games we struggled, we really really struggled. Coach 57 nailed the OL problems after the first game.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Sure it helps. Had the same QB this years as well. They also excited the run plays better as well. Including the OL. Which he was responsible for. Execution was a big part of those numbers as well. The original point was if you lay the lack of run game strickly at his feet because he is the run game coordinator then he was responsible for the very good success we had last year. Tic for tac.

The past four seasons we have been ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in rushing offense and sacks allowed three out of the past four seasons.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Not really on sacks. You have to calculate the sacks per pass attempt. The previous three years have been almost identical. This year was 1% worse than last year. We threw more than any year as well. I will say the 2012 team was probably the best we have had in pass protection considering the number of attempts we made. This year was still disappointing in the fact the games we struggled, we really really struggled. Coach 57 nailed the OL problems after the first game.

Yes- but we're a RUN FIRST offense that has been forced to be pass first because of our o-line or lack thereof.

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 11:56 PM
The past four seasons we have been ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in rushing offense and sacks allowed three out of the past four seasons.

He were third in the league in rushing last year. The other three I give you but we were not the same type of run heavy teams we were the first 3 years. Different scheme in 2012 and what we were to be in 2013 but Tyler got hurt and then Dak was hurt, kind of a mess to find any consistency that year. 2012 4th on the league in pass attempts-424 and 3rd in sacks allowed 19 for a 4.5% avg, 2013 429 and 23 for 5.4%, 2014 423 and 23 5.4%, 2015 458 and 31 for 6.8%. If you just look at sack totals, your top 3 teams in sacks allowed were all 10th or lower in pass attempts. Our number was too high this year skewed bad a couple of really bad games but the last few years were fine. You like that number to be around 5% or less.

Really Clark?
12-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Yes- but we're a RUN FIRST offense that has been forced to be pass first because of our o-line or lack thereof.

Doesn't change the fact the OL has done a good job in pass protection the last three years. This year was a drop off but that was from a couple of really really bad games. Doesn't make it an excuse but some of that the lineman have to win a one on one battle.

ETA. I think it's time for a change at OL coach as well. Not going to be bent if we don't but a different voice might be a good thing. Doesn't change that his lines have not been horrible every year or in steady decline.

Todd4State
12-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Doesn't change the fact the OL has done a good job in pass protection the last three years. This year was a drop off but that was from a couple of really really bad games. Doesn't make it an excuse but some of that the lineman have to win a one on one battle.

ETA. I think it's time for a change at OL coach as well. Not going to be bent if we don't but a different voice might be a good thing. Doesn't change that his lines have not been horrible every year or in steady decline.

The last four seasons, we have declined overall compared to his first three seasons at MSU. We have been overall mediocre at best.

Honestly, keeping Hevesy around and Dan's apparent (to be seen I suppose) lack of interest in making a change at that position because Hevesy is his boy is probably THE most frustrating thing to Dan's critics. At least this one. It seems like every negative thing about Dan seems to somehow end up being traced back to Hevesy somehow.

I will say that making a change at o-line coach is probably what gives Dan the BEST chance to avoid rebuilding next year. Based on the stats and the eye test, I do not foresee us getting better on the o-line. Or at least significantly better.

Really Clark?
12-05-2015, 12:51 AM
The last four seasons, we have declined overall compared to his first three seasons at MSU. We have been overall mediocre at best.

Honestly, keeping Hevesy around and Dan's apparent (to be seen I suppose) lack of interest in making a change at that position because Hevesy is his boy is probably THE most frustrating thing to Dan's critics. At least this one. It seems like every negative thing about Dan seems to somehow end up being traced back to Hevesy somehow.

I will say that making a change at o-line coach is probably what gives Dan the BEST chance to avoid rebuilding next year. Based on the stats and the eye test, I do not foresee us getting better on the o-line. Or at least significantly better.

Well I will disagree with with the idea we have been in overall declined the last 4 years. Especially last year. You don't turn in the offensive output, 5th in the history of the SEC, without a good OL. 2012 was a good pass protection line that any team in this league would be proud to have. 2013 was so messy and if you consider the fact we played 7 10+ win teams in one season, I think those combinations with QB instability created issues overall. Honestly he is a pretty good OL coach at developing the guys he has and usually gets guys overachieving. But he does have his faults, no question. And a change there may be a good thing. Still want a really good coach at the OL position over just a recruiter. Be both would be great.

DanDority
12-05-2015, 10:05 AM
We may be "better"- but I think we will still be bad. And we won't have Dak next year to run for his life and make plays. And we WILL HAVE Holloway and Shumpert running up the middle...

Changes made are in bold