PDA

View Full Version : Does Dak get a bump in the Draft because of Cam Newton?

EAVdog
12-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Could be a good year to be a mobile QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 11:33 AM
No. They're not similar players besides both played in spread offenses.

Political Hack
12-04-2015, 11:57 AM
No. But he gets one because of Russell Wilson.

TSUNami
12-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Tim Tebow went in the first round and Dak is at least as good

thf24
12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Tim Tebow went in the first round and Dak is at least as good

Tebow only went in the first round because of a monumental lapse in judgement by a rookie head coach. But it's true that Dak is a much better NFL prospect.

SDDawg
12-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Tebow only went in the first round because of a monumental lapse in judgement by a rookie head coach. But it's true that Dak is a much better NFL prospect.

Dak is a very good player, but he's a mid-round NFL guy. I will be shocked if he's drafted higher than 4th round. That's not a knock on him, but he's far from a sure thing in the pros. I think if he gets an opportunity he'll make the most of it and I deeply respect him as a player, but I see as much risk as I see upside for him when he transitions to the next level. Would love to be proven wrong though.

mic
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Him being the opposite of Johnny Football will help also..
GM won't mind ponying up $$ and a draft pick for Dak knowing they won't have to worry about his character or work ethic.. Get him in the right situation and system he will be fine..

Beaver
12-04-2015, 01:03 PM

And because Tebow won 2 National Championships along with a Heisman. He was on SportsCenter every day. Even though Dak is a much better prospect, Tebow had a lot more hype.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:25 PM
With a good Senior Bowl & Combine he can easily get into the 2nd rd. With just avg performances I expect 3rd or 4th rd.

bulldawg28
I agree with the Steve McNair comparison with Dak.

Dawg61
And because Tebow won 2 National Championships along with a Heisman. He was on SportsCenter every day. Even though Dak is a much better prospect, Tebow had a lot more hype.

Tebow is 8-5 as a NFL qb with a win over the Steelers in the playoffs. He isn't Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully Dak will have a longer career than Tebow but it isn't just a given he will have a more successful one too. Most QBs don't have a better winning % than Tebow.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Tebow is 8-5 as a NFL qb with a win over the Steelers in the playoffs. He isn't Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully Dak will have a longer career than Tebow but it isn't just a given he will have a more successful one too. Most QBs don't have a better winning % than Tebow.

Most don't have the horrible completion % either.

Dawg61
12-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Most don't have the horrible completion % either.

Or the rushing yards. Keep hating tho

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:37 PM

No hate but if any other QB not named Tebow completed 47% of his passes no one would be questioning why he's not in the league. I think Tebow is a great guy he's just not a quality NFL QB.

TStationDawg
12-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Are you honestly questioning Dan's love of Tebow?! I think that's been well documented!!

Dawg61
12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
No hate but if any other QB not named Tebow completed 47% of his passes no one would be questioning why he's not in the league. I think Tebow is a great guy he's just not a quality NFL QB.

You were hating. It's cool though everyone does it. Tebow is a running bruising QB that will burn you on the play action. He isn't a high completion style QB. 99.9% of all high completion QBs can't run like Tebow can. He wins. Plain and simple. I'm off this debate I'm not trying to hijack this thread.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
You were hating. It's cool though everyone does it. Tebow is a running bruising QB that will burn you on the play action. He isn't a high completion style QB. 99.9% of all high completion QBs can't run like Tebow can. He wins. Plain and simple. I'm off this debate I'm not trying to hijack this thread.

LOL on the hating part but you're right let's not hijack the thread.

TStationDawg
12-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I hear everyone compare Dak to McNair. I think Warren Moon isn't too far off the beaten path either. Could run, but would rather beat you with his arm!

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:55 PM
I think the closest comparison to Dak coming out of college is Donovan McNabb.

TStationDawg
12-04-2015, 02:00 PM
oh shoot. Forgot all about Campbell's Mcabb! Good call.

Really Clark?
12-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Good comparison. Maybe a Steve Young. Although Young wasn't as thick if I remember right.

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Mel Kiper said Dak has evolved into a pocket passer on SECTV. So I don't think the NFL will see him as a running QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 02:16 PM
A good week at the Senior Bowl could really boost his stock up. He's been invited but hasn't accepted the offer yet. I hope he does.

Dawg61
12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
McNabb is a good comparison. Dak is so muscular it really shallows the pool of players he is similar too. Dak does run it just like Tebow though and he's built just like him so that comparison is going to stick with him for awhile. He doesn't carry the media whirlwind with him though, he's much better at reading defenses, going through his progressions, standing in the pocket and delivering accurately than Tebow ever was. Tebow fed off raw emotion and firing up his teammates. He was a master motivator. It was Tebow's best quality. The ability to raise the play of your team. Dak has that some but he's not a douchy cheerleader like Tebow. I think Dak can sell to NFL teams that he is a more accurate Tebow without all the headaches of the media and without the raw raw cheerleader bullshit.

Maroon_and_white
12-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Could be a good year to be a mobile QB.

If Tyrod Taylor can solidify himself as an NFL starter, then Dak can start in the NFL some day

Coach34
12-04-2015, 03:28 PM
If Tyrod Taylor can solidify himself as an NFL starter, then Dak can start in the NFL some day

This

Dakota is a 3rd round pick for someone with time to develop a QB for a couple years

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2015, 03:34 PM

Yes, well... Donovan McNabb minus the great deep ball.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Scouts put major stock into seniors that graduate and those especially that have a masters. It's definitely doesn't trump talent, but it may help him get a shot over another guy. For some of these players, their careers are created by being drafted by the right team or finding a system that works for them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, well... Donovan McNabb minus the great deep ball.

Maybe, but he also had a guy by the name of Marvin Harrison in college...

MSUDawg13
12-04-2015, 04:17 PM
I don't buy the Dak comparisons to Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. Russell Wilson is the most accurate QB in the league outside of Rodgers and Brady, he also uses his legs extremely well as he is the fastest QB in the league. Dak's running style is no where near similar to Wilson, more along the lines of Cam. However, Cam is a physical specimen, probably the best all around athlete in the NFL. Dak's draft stock will be hinge on his performance in the Senior Bowl. He's currently a fringe 3rd rounder most likely 4th, but with a strong Senior Bowl showing he could easily move into the top 3rd/bottom 2nd range.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I don't buy the Dak comparisons to Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. Russell Wilson is the most accurate QB in the league outside of Rodgers and Brady, he also uses his legs extremely well as he is the fastest QB in the league. Dak's running style is no where near similar to Wilson, more along the lines of Cam. However, Cam is a physical specimen, probably the best all around athlete in the NFL. Dak's draft stock will be hinge on his performance in the Senior Bowl. He's currently a fringe 3rd rounder most likely 4th, but with a strong Senior Bowl showing he could easily move into the top 3rd/bottom 2nd range.

Russell is accurate but he's not the 3rd most accurate QB in football. Over his career Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, & Big Ben plus the 2 you mentioned are all more accurate than Russell. It also doesn't hurt that Russell throws the least amount of passes of any starting QB over that time.

Dawgcentral
12-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Dak is worthy of the third round. the right team should take a chance with him, meaning a team that doesn't mind getting him up to speed.

Not sure if he will succeed, but comparisons to Tebow in the draft can only hurt him. He has the leadership skills no doubt,..but he doesn't have that lousy release by dropping the arm that Tebow has.

He won't be throwing bombs for 60-70 yards in the air, but in the right offense he can learn to be effective. Either way, dude has the work ethic and character to be a success in life. Even if he's coaching up JUCO players one day.