PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones

dawgpound
12-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Any chance he comes back next year to try to get into the first round? He didn't have the year we all had hoped for.

Coach34
12-04-2015, 11:07 AM
He still might be after the Combine. I don't see any way he returns but stranger things have happened

SDDawg
12-04-2015, 11:09 AM
He still might be after the Combine. I don't see any way he returns but stranger things have happened

Classic combine warrior. He'll play his way into the low 2nd/high 1st. Not staying.

DancingRabbit
12-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Any chance he comes back next year to try to get into the first round? He didn't have the year we all had hoped for.

Projections I've seen range from 2nd round to 4th round. If he can get assurances that he will go in the 2nd round then he should take it. If it's looking like the 4th round then he should consider coming back.

Beaver
12-04-2015, 11:14 AM

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?38108-Juniors-Which-ones-leaving&highlight=juniors

Thread from a few days back..

Lloyd Christmas
12-04-2015, 11:17 AM
He's gone..although he didn't have a stellar year he did start showing up near the end.

DLGDawg
12-04-2015, 11:20 AM

This is correct. (Something really strange would have to happen for him to come back)

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 11:31 AM
He's gone..although he didn't have a stellar year he did start showing up near the end.

Agreed. He ended up being a good player for us but not a great player. Certainly not irreplaceable, not even as irreplaceable as Fletcher Cox after his JR year. Wish him well though and hope he has a great NFL career.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2015, 11:56 AM

He was extremely disruptive the last few games.

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 12:00 PM
He was extremely disruptive the last few games.

He was looking great the last half of the season until the Egg Bowl. Wasn't much of a factor in that game at all and was outplayed by Nick James.

BulldogDX55
12-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Agreed. He ended up being a good player for us but not a great player. Certainly not irreplaceable, not even as irreplaceable as Fletcher Cox after his JR year. Wish him well though and hope he has a great NFL career.

It didn't show up in the statline, because DT's rarely do, but CJ was nigh unblockable in the second half of the season. The bolded sentiment is insane.

Homedawg
12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
It didn't show up in the statline, because DT's rarely do, but CJ was nigh unblockable in the second half of the season. The bolded sentiment is insane.

I don't disagree with his statement. If fletcher cox was great, and he was, then Chris jones was good. Fletcher was that much better than Chris. Now I've been rough on cj all year and he deserved it, but he did step up from the Missouri game forward. Wish he were coming back, but it's not happening.

1bigdawg
12-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Have the rules changed so that a player can come back after the combine now? I thought that they had to declare to go to the combine and once they did, they could not come back.

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Maybe you have a very low threshold for insanity. Chris Jones was "great" for MAYBE 3 to 4 games of his MSU career. I'll even go he was very good overall but he wasn't what I would define as great over his 3 year career.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't disagree with his statement. If fletcher cox was great, and he was, then Chris jones was good. Fletcher was that much better than Chris. Now I've been rough on cj all year and he deserved it, but he did step up from the Missouri game forward. Wish he were coming back, but it's not happening.

Yep.

Brahmabull
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
If I am a NFL GM, the inconsistencies CJ showed would give me pause about drafting in top 2 rounds. Does he have the ability to be a very very good NFL player? Absolutely, does he have the drive and willingness to play game in and game out the way he would need to in order to be very good? I am not sold that he does. Maybe with maturity he changes....

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
If I am a NFL GM, the inconsistencies CJ showed would give me pause about drafting in top 2 rounds. Does he have the ability to be a very very good NFL player? Absolutely, does he have the drive and willingness to play game in and game out the way he would need to in order to be very good? I am not sold that he does. Maybe with maturity he changes....

I don't disagree with much you have said here, but I think it's important to understand that, in all sports, it's really really difficult to acquire players that have difference making ability & teams will take chances on makeup to acquire players that have the ability to make a difference.

What's going to happen in the draft room is this: Teams will rank players on the basis of tool sets &, at some point, Jones will be so far better than anyone else on the board, from a toolset standpoint, that a team will just grab him in hopes that he pans out. The only other option will be players with non-difference making tool sets.

dawgpound
12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
He seems to have the natural talent but doesn't always stand out during games. Maybe its the position but seems to only play at a high level certain times.

Homedawg
12-04-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't disagree with much you have said here, but I think it's important to understand that, in all sports, it's really really difficult to acquire players that have difference making ability & teams will take chances on makeup to acquire players that have the ability to make a difference.

What's going to happen in the draft room is this: Teams will rank players on the basis of tool sets &, at some point, Jones will be so far better than anyone else on the board, from a toolset standpoint, that a team will just grab him in hopes that he pans out. The only other option will be players with non-difference making tool sets.

Not disagreeing w really anything you said, he will test well. If I were a gm I wouldn't take him in the top 2 rounds, doesn't make enough plays for me. That said, he's a likely choice of the raiders in the first based on their love affair w the combine.

Coach34
12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Have the rules changed so that a player can come back after the combine now? I thought that they had to declare to go to the combine and once they did, they could not come back.

No- once he declares that's it