PDA

View Full Version : My practice notes for 8:30 am session 8/3 saturday

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Appears to be 1st and second team players. Maybe a few exceptions but here is who I saw:

Corners and safeties

James Baldwin
Jamerson Love
Tavez Calhoun
Cedric Jiles
Justin Cox
Nickoe Whitley
Jay Hughes
Dee Arington

Linebackers

Ferlando Bohanna
Deontae Skinner
Benardrick McKinney
Matthew Wells
Beniquez Brown
Zach Jackson
Kendrick Market

QB's

Tyler R
Dak P

Wr's

Joe Morrow
Jameon Lewis
Fred Brown
Brandon Holloway
Robert Johnson
Gus Walley - TE
Rufus Warren
Jeremy Chappelle
Shelby Christy
Branon Hill - TE

Offensive line

Blaine Clausell
Gabe Jackson
Dillon Day
Justin Malone
Charles Siddoway
Ben Beckwith
Archie Muniz
Tobias Smith
Justin Senior

DLine (as best Ican remember)

Preston Smith
PJ Jones
QUAY EVANS........THAT'S RIGHT
A.J. Jefferson
Kaleb Eulls
Curtis Virges
Denico Autry

Rb's

Ladarius Perkins
Derrick Milton
Josh Robinson

Running backs went up against some linebackers and Defensive ends blocking in the backfield protecting the "dummy" qb.

Josh Robinson looked pretty good on all but one play against Matthew Wells. Josh got a few attaboys from the RB coach for his blocking. He looks smaller in his thighs, but he doesn't look like he's lost any power.

Milton looked ok blocking. Not great and not bad.
Perkins struggled. Size alone will make him a liability against a long armed defender.

F. Bohanna looked impressive in drills and has matured very well.
M. Wells is VERY quick. Got to the qb over Josh Robinson and looked good with his hands to getfree.

In wide receiver vs DB drills.....on on one.......press man coverage.

Jiles looked very good shadowing Morrow and made Morrow look bad at least 1-2 times. I'm not sure Morrow has learned how to fight for the ball yet. He does seem lethargic.
Cox had some great coverage against Jeremy Chapelle, but the pass was perfect ad Chapelle brought it down. Dak Prescott throw
Brandon Holloway beat Justin Cox on a deep route. Brandon has potential, but I've noticed the tendency not to see the ball into his hands.
Dee Arington made a great play on a strip of the ball preventing Robert Johnson from making the catch.

Quote from Townsend: "STOP PEEKING AT THE QB !!!! READ THE WR's EYES!!

93...PJ Jones came up limping after a play and a coach evenasked the trainers if he was going to make I back today. (didn't leave the field). Jones did come back in the late scrimmage plays to en the first session and the DL coach gave him a HUGE atta boy pep talk congratulating him for playing through it.

In 7-7 drills....Skinner made a nice split o the line to get the running back in the backfield for a loss.
Dak made some decent throws short but still needs to get more sharp with the passes.
Jameon Lewis made some nice grabs across the middle in this drill. Getting him covered by a linebacker will be a BIG advantage for us if we can catch the defense playing that way.
Dak is certainly better in the roll out to the right on his passing. Maybe they were being instructed but neither he nor Tyler on rollouts were getting rid of the ball soon enough. They were doing these drills frm the shotgun. Later in the practice they did the same (backside) rollouts from under center. Naked bootleg style running one receiver deep and throwing to the crossing pattern underneath about 15 yards down field. Probably my favorite play.
Tyler still holds the ball to long at times, but not like he did last year or in the spring game.
Justin played a pretty large amount of cushion (5-6 yards) in th7-7 drills. Don't know if that was by design or what, but he's definitely better in man coverage.

When 7-7's broke up and went to unit drills, the Corners were working with Collins for a minute and Cox ran a drill just right. Collins was in the middle of saying "good job" when Cox let up and let the 'receiver' go. Coxmust have said 'I thought the play was over' and Collins said clearly "this shit aint ever over".

Practice ended on 11-11 sets of 1st team vs 1st team and 2nd team vs 2nd team.

PJ jones comes up the middle, splits the Tackle and Guard on a doube team and gets to Tyler. This is what the DL coach was so proud of after PJ's ankle twist.
Quay was running 1st team. The bad news: he looked winded the whole time during the last set of 11-11 with his hands on his knees.

The 11-11 looked good for flashes but mostly sloppiness and that made it appear one side or the other was doing well. It was done against the wind so any pass that got too high sailed or was held up by the wind and was closed on by the defense

We run one play where the qb rolls left and throws a deep out to the right sideline about 20 yards down field. I hope the coaches learn to never run this play in a game. It never worked and no less than 3 defenders each time could have gotten t the ball for a pick 6 if the ball had been thrown on target. Luckily, both qbs missed so badly on the throws (due to the wind and difficulty) that nobody could catch the thing.

I took film of a number of plays of the final set of 11-11's and can email them but the camera angle is wide and it may not be clear enough to see. They are taken from the Tennis court stands overlooking the offense playing from their own 5-10 yard line.

I'll be at the 2:30 session too to see what the 3-4 teams do.

Coach: Side note.....our tackles vs the Defensive ends was not very good from an offensive standpoint. Either someone is going to have to step up at the tackles or we are going to have to be on the move with the qb. It's that simple. We aren't terrible. But the gap in performance between Center and guard to the Tackles is pretty obvious. But the Defensive ends did well. It wasn't totalbreakdown of the Tackles. But they have some work to do before the 1st game.

I'll report again at 4:30 when the second session is over.

Hope some of your questions were answered. I'll try to address the rest from the second session.

Regarding the iphone videos I took of the 11-11's...let me look at them and I'll email anyone those that would like to see them if you send me a pm with your email address.

Political Hack
08-03-2013, 12:15 PM
awesome. thanks man.

CooterDavenport
08-03-2013, 12:18 PM
On the Collins/Cox exchange, my favorite was Collins saying something like "this ain't Scooba."

Pollodawg
08-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Good stuff.

engie
08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
So, Market was with the LBs today?

I'm telling you -- we are going to be so multiple in where guys play and how we use them that it's going to confuse the heck out of opposing teams at times... I LOVE using the guys with hybrid ability like this.

That's what OM did particularly well last year on Defense(and we did terribly)...

Thick
08-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Where was Richie Brown? Is he hurt?

HancockCountyDog
08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Also where was Nick James?

Political Hack
08-03-2013, 12:54 PM
they're probably running with the afternoon group.

Bark
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Where was Richie Brown? Is he hurt?

Split practices. They will go this afternoon.

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I must have listed him incorrectly. But he has been 'sneaking up' at times I've noticed and playing the hybrid role. I want that kid to do well so badly. He overcomes the height disadvantage with hustle and smarts.

hailmari
08-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Do you just walk up to the practice fields and just observe from the side-lines? And what about parking? I'm considering going for the 2:30 but I'm not sure what to expect.

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Best way to view is go to the small parking lot between the tennis courts and the softball field. Walk on the sidewalk and you can choose:

Either go up in the grandstands of the tennis facility to overlook the fields or you can walk dwn the fenceline straight ahead and go through a corner 'fenced in' area that will lead you to the track area that you can watch from. I personally like the area above on the tennis court grandstands due to the shade, but up close to the players sometimes is neat too.

You just have to follow what the security guards say and stay behind the yellow ropes and not block he bridge from the practice field leading back to the new football complex.

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
The video's I took look great on windows media player. I'll have to email each of you the video's because I don't seem to know how to attach them to a post on this message board. It's about 20 plus plays from the morning 1st and second team 11 on 11's.

PM me with your email addresses and I'll email you back the videos.

(I pre apologize for my small amount of commentary duringthe videos. I did it in case the picture was blurry or too far away to see the numbers.

By the way: I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to go back to practice so I may not get the practice videos emailed out until after. I'll take some at the next session too.

hailmari
08-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Alright, thanks. Shade sounds great.

maroonmania
08-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Coach: Side note.....our tackles vs the Defensive ends was not very good from an offensive standpoint. Either someone is going to have to step up at the tackles or we are going to have to be on the move with the qb. It's that simple. We aren't terrible. But the gap in performance between Center and guard to the Tackles is pretty obvious. But the Defensive ends did well. It wasn't totalbreakdown of the Tackles. But they have some work to do before the 1st game.

Really this area is the biggest limitation of our current team. We probably have the least amount of talent at the OT position in the entire SEC. Hopefully some of that talent gap can be made up with experience and development as Clausell and Robinson have been in the program multiple years and Siddoway is a SR as well in his second year. Its easier to develop guys at the C and G positions but you really need to snag a few elite recruits to cover the Tackle positions because to play those spots in the SEC takes a lot of natural ability along with gaining experience. Mullen has not done very well picking off a few elite lineman here and there to play those spots for us. Heck, Freeze got multiple elite prospects for those spots just last recruiting season.

Coach34
08-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Really this area is the biggest limitation of our current team. We probably have the least amount of talent at the OT position in the entire SEC. Hopefully some of that talent gap can be made up with experience and development as Clausell and Robinson have been in the program multiple years and Siddoway is a SR as well in his second year. Its easier to develop guys at the C and G positions but you really need to snag a few elite recruits to cover the Tackle positions because to play those spots in the SEC takes a lot of natural ability along with gaining experience. Mullen has not done very well picking off a few elite lineman here and there to play those spots for us. Heck, Freeze got multiple elite prospects for those spots just last recruiting season.

I think part of the problem is that our DE's are going to be really outstanding this year. Our OT's struggled at times last year- but we were still one of the best teams in the country and in the SEC at pass protection. Bama gave up 4 more sacks than we did on fewer passes. LSU gave up 13 sacks than us

maroonmania
08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I think part of the problem is that our DE's are going to be really outstanding this year. Our OT's struggled at times last year- but we were still one of the best teams in the country and in the SEC at pass protection. Bama gave up 4 more sacks than we did on fewer passes. LSU gave up 13 sacks than us

Between pass protection and run blocking our Tackles are serviceable and that's about all you can say. The last OT that was a difference maker for us was Sherrod and he was a very highly recruited player. Hopefully Wells and Flowers will be those type OTs for us eventually but even if so that's a few years down the road. Obviously they weren't as highly recruited as Sherrod but from everything I read both are quite talented with high ceilings.

gravedigger
08-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I hope coach is right and our tackles look bad because of the opposition the are playing in practice. That said, it could be a cause for concern if we rely on too much time in pass protection in the pocket or our sweeps are cut off by tackles getting beat.

There is another option of burning a great defensive end by 'sucking him up' like Croom did with the great one Auburn had a few years back. We beat them over there because we caused him to overplay to the outside an the run just inside him was wide open. That can only work so long as linebackers can come in and stuff that.

I'm not worried at all and still maintain that we will be a very competitive team this year. But the difference in 5 wins and 8 is the play of those tackles and the way we playcall against teams that try to expose that weakness.

We need to suck people up in the middle and with the quick passes wide and make those defensive ends obsolete that can overpower our OT's.

Ronny
08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
We probably have the least amount of talent at the OT position in the entire SEC.

un-****ing-believable some of the stuff you read on these messageboards.

messageboardsuperhero
08-04-2013, 11:03 AM

Really? Our OTs were fine last year, especially compared to 2011. Look at the strides Clausell made; he went from toast every other play to a solid tackle. And Siddoway wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. We were one of the best pass protection teams in the SEC last year, all while having a non-running QB who supposedly holds the ball too long. Now they'll both have another year under their belts and should be at least as good next year. We also have some good tackles coming up in Senior, Carter, and Flowers, plus we have a JUCO coming in next year to hopefully bridge the gap.

Maybe we just have WAY more speed at DE this year by adding Jones, moving Eulls to DT, giving P. Smith and Ryan Brown bigger roles, etc.

Coach34
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Maybe we just have WAY more speed at DE this year by adding Jones, moving Eulls to DT, giving P. Smith and Ryan Brown bigger roles, etc.

People are going to be very surprised by our DL play this season