PDA

View Full Version : Non-Mullen Actual Football Thread: 2016 QBs

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Can someone explain to me why there is this mass assumption within our fan base that Fitz will win the starting job next season? Yes, he's got more practice reps under his belt than Staley. But Staley has the higher upside and looked really good himself when he got the chance to play.

While both are dual threat QBs, I think each one is relatively different. Both are big, but Staley is Cam Newton size at 6'7" and 250. Both throw a really nice ball, but Staley's is about as pretty as I've ever seen. I see Fitz as more of an outside zone speed runner and Staley as the more classic inside zone read, between the tackles runner in the mold of Dak & Tebow.

I just see this being one hell of a battle all the way up to Game 1 next year and maybe even into the season. I don't see either guy winning it easily. What am I missing that makes so many assume Fitz will be the guy? Genuinely curious to see the responses to this one.

chef dixon
12-03-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm a Staley guy but I'm not sure who's going to win it honestly. Most people think Fitz because he's been number 2 all year plus the extra spring, that's basically it.

All I know is I'm glad there is going to be a big competition because it'll bring out the best in everyone.

Also don't be surprised if Damian gets a shot at it too.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2015, 01:38 PM
In don't agree that Staley more upside. Stakes has heavy feet, while Fitz is much lighter and quicker. Stanley throws a pretty ball, but Fitz throws it plenty well enough, and, with our offensive line, I want the quicker, more mobile guy.

For example: look how much Kelly's quickness and mobility effected the Egg Bowl. He made a half dozen plays that extended drives when we had him dead to rights.

Staler looks like a left handed, black, Connor Cook to me. That's great in a pro style offense with a great OL, but we don't have either of those

chef dixon
12-03-2015, 01:40 PM
In don't agree that Staley more upside. Stakes has heavy feet, while Fitz is much lighter and quicker. Stanley throws a pretty ball, but Fitz throws it plenty well enough, and, with our offensive line, I want the quicker, more mobile guy.

For example: look how much Kelly's quickness and mobility effected the Egg Bowl. He made a half dozen plays that extended drives when we had him dead to rights.

Staler looks like a left handed, black, Connor Cook to me. That's great in a pro style offense with a great OL, but we don't have either of those

3 different names for Staley in the first 3 sentences. Well done.

PendingTransaction
12-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Staley will be the QB!

SDDawg
12-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Fitz looks quicker to me in the reps we've seen. He's had more reps and has produced a little more. Those are my reasons. But if Staley can beat him out, that is only goodness for us.

I think the leadership and ability to build confidence in their teammates will be a huge differentiator too, because you have two guys that are both very competitive and physically ready to play. Who will put their body on the line for which guy and how the players respond during practice and scrimmages to each guy will be huge. I can't wait for this year's Spring game.

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm a Staley guy but I'm not sure who's going to win it honestly. Most people think Fitz because he's been number 2 all year plus the extra spring, that's basically it.

All I know is I'm glad there is going to be a big competition because it'll bring out the best in everyone.

Also don't be surprised if Damian gets a shot at it too.

He gone. We redshirted him to give him the extra year to transfer down and play.

msstate7
12-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Fitz looked really quick in the limited snaps I saw out of him, but looked like he went down fairly easily. I wonder how well he'll hold up on qb up the middle.

Both seem to have great touch on the deep ball. I hope we see a whole lot more run, run, run, hit em deep next season... Hope our oline will allow it

Really Clark?
12-03-2015, 01:47 PM
I really look forward to the battle. Whoever wins the job will be a very good QB for us.

starkvegasdawg
12-03-2015, 01:54 PM
We know it will be Fitz. He's been here longer and therefore the more senior person. Even if he couldn't hit water from a boat he'd be the starter.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2015, 01:54 PM
It is going to be a great battle. I agree there won't be a declared winner in the spring or maybe even in fall camp. My personal opinion is Staley wins the job. If Fitz wins I have the utmost confidence in him. I just think the talent that Staley has is going to be too much to overcome. May the best man win.

FISHDAWG
12-03-2015, 02:00 PM
It is going to be a great battle. I agree there won't be a declared winner in the spring or maybe even in fall camp. My personal opinion is Staley wins the job. If Fitz wins I have the utmost confidence in him. I just think the talent that Staley has is going to be too much to overcome. May the best man win.

tell us something about Tiano ... most of us know absolutely nothing about him except his size

Lloyd Christmas
12-03-2015, 02:05 PM
tell us something about Tiano ... most of us know absolutely nothing about him except his size

For what it's worth, I heard directly from a starting D Lineman this year that Tiano was easily the most impressive redshirt freshman.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2015, 02:05 PM

I like Tiano. He's a big strong kid with a good arm & runs hard. They have fixed that long loop in his throwing motion that he had in HS. For comparison he reminds me of a bigger stronger armed Bo Wallace.

msstate7
12-03-2015, 02:11 PM
I like Tiano. He's a big strong kid with a good arm & runs hard. They have fixed that long loop in his throwing motion that he had in HS. For comparison he reminds me of a bigger stronger armed Bo Wallace.

Great! We have a douche as a backup qb***

Lloyd Christmas
12-03-2015, 02:12 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but this conversation is moot if our QB is on his ass within 3 seconds of the snap 10 times in the game.

DanDority
12-03-2015, 02:15 PM
We know it will be Fitz. He's been here longer and therefore the more senior person. Even if he couldn't hit water from a boat he'd be the starter.

That's funny I thought both were RFr.

SDDawg
12-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Both are but Fitz enrolled early and came for the 2013/2014 bowl practices and got spring reps in 2014. Staley didn't join until summer and with injuries hasn't had nearly the number of reps.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Early enrolled...

Irondawg
12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
This is going to be a fun battle to watch so really hope neither has an injury that sets them back. Hopefully we'll get to see both some during the bowl game. Staley has the pure physical tools but for us the leadership and game management ability are unknown.

Fitz is more mobile, has a good arm and has performed well in his limited opportunities. I've heard a couple of reports that he has some good leadership ability. he has show to take more risks in the passing game than we've seen lately but that's expected from a young QB getting limited snaps.

Really curious to watch this play out.

DanDority
12-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Both are but Fitz enrolled early and came for the 2013/2014 bowl practices and got spring reps in 2014. Staley didn't join until summer and with injuries hasn't had nearly the number of reps.

Oh, ok, but I think if and when Staley gets on the basketball court we will see just how quick and mobile he is. I think and hope we are pleasantly surprised. I am hopeful that Staley wins the job because he really reminds me of Cam Newton.

SDDawg
12-03-2015, 02:54 PM
If you have any concerns about our QB situation this year, think back on 2013 spring ball when Dak was taking reps in a chair with a boot on and how thin we were. Having options at QB and guys that have played after Dak leaves is a great spot to be in. Other schools would kill to have these two guys and the development they've had over the past two years with others behind them that should have ability as well.

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2015, 03:17 PM
This is going to be a fun battle to watch so really hope neither has an injury that sets them back. Hopefully we'll get to see both some during the bowl game. Staley has the pure physical tools but for us the leadership and game management ability are unknown.

Fitz is more mobile, has a good arm and has performed well in his limited opportunities. I've heard a couple of reports that he has some good leadership ability. he has show to take more risks in the passing game than we've seen lately but that's expected from a young QB getting limited snaps.

Really curious to watch this play out.

Fitz's HS coach was always high on his leadership. I heard multiple interviews on local radio his SR year. Said things like "has an it factor" and his team began looking to him as an underclassman, 1st on field, last to leave, always pushing the other guys, etc.

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Kinda what I'm thinking, too, IYOK. Either way, we're in tremendous shape at QB.

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but this conversation is moot if our QB is on his ass within 3 seconds of the snap 10 times in the game.

Obviously. And I think we all understand that, which is why everyone seems to be ready for Mullen to get rid of Hev. But I'd rather this thread didn't devolve into an OL discussion. I'm just trying to gauge why so many people seem to think it's Fitz's job to lose. It's bringing some good discussion about both guys to the board.

And honestly, I wanted to get some actual football talk back on the board. Now that the Mullen drama is basically done, this board needs some sanity and real sports discussion, so I'm trying to do my part.

Coach34
12-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I think its going to be a good battle and I expect both guys to play early on next year- with the leader playing more snaps

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 03:36 PM
I think its going to be a good battle and I expect both guys to play early on next year- with the leader playing more snaps

Yeah, I definitely expect both to play. Maybe even to the point of seeing rotating QBs the first few games. Hope that isn't the case and someone wins it, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it plays out that way.

When you have a little more time, I'd love for you to come back and do a more in-depth post about these guys.

SDDawg
12-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I definitely expect both to play. Maybe even to the point of seeing rotating QBs the first few games. Hope that isn't the case and someone wins it, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it plays out that way.

When you have a little more time, I'd love for you to come back and do a more in-depth post about these guys.

+1. C34, would like to see you dig into the DL for next year too as well since you've had some comments there.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2015, 03:44 PM

I agree. I think by the time we go to LSU we'll have a guy playing all or the majority of the snaps.

defiantdog
12-03-2015, 04:28 PM
It'll be a good battle, but the healthy qb will play more. Dak played hurt for the majority of his career.

War Machine Dawg
12-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Bumpity for more actual football talk.

Political Hack
12-03-2015, 10:59 PM

It's crazy to suggest but some folks think Tiano may have some of that "it" factor that helps push him into the race. I can't see it personally, but some people think very highly of him.

I think it's Fitz. Staley doesn't protect himself well when running and isn't going to break off 15+ yard runs against the speed of the SEC. Fitz's feet will separate him IMO.

But like IYOK said, I'll be happy with whoever wins the job. We're in great shape with the winner of that competition.

preachermatt83
12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
It will be Fitz. And he will do GREAT!!

Blackout
12-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Fitz just because he has the quickness to escape when our anemic O-Line breaks down.

smootness
12-04-2015, 12:01 AM

That 5-man QB competition is going to be insane to watch.

I keep hearing about Fitz and Staley, but I'd like to know about these other 3.

MidTNDawg
12-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Did I miss the discussion about ability to read the defense?

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 12:09 AM
I think it will be Fitzgerald based on the playing time he got vs. Staley this year. I like both- but I can't see Staley "catching up" to Fitz. They're so close IMO I don't have a preference. The biggest question mark with both is how they are going to do in SEC play? We know Fitzgerald can beat a Sun Belt team- but even there he only threw seven passes in three quarters. And as far as "IT" - every high school QB that goes on to play in the SEC has "IT" in high school. Or actually they better have "IT" in high school if they are going to come play for us. But do they have "IT" as far as SEC play goes? We won't know until South Carolina.

We could do some interesting things with both since one is LH and the other RH. Kind of A-11-ish two QB's in the backfield kind of things that could be creative. I doubt we see that, but it's something I would explore.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 12:11 AM
That 5-man QB competition is going to be insane to watch.

I keep hearing about Fitz and Staley, but I'd like to know about these other 3.

Fitz, Staley, Williams, Tiano, and............who is the other one? I doubt we sign a HS QB this year and doubt we sign a JUCO QB unless it's a Cam Newton type.

Todd4State
12-04-2015, 12:13 AM

That's another unknown. And an area where we are really going to miss Dak badly next year.

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2015, 12:21 AM
It will be Fitz. And he will do GREAT!!

Way to add substance.....
http://i.imgur.com/7WuyEtn.gif

smootness
12-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Fitz, Staley, Williams, Tiano, and............who is the other one? I doubt we sign a HS QB this year and doubt we sign a JUCO QB unless it's a Cam Newton type.

Read Shotgun's post again.

Leroy Jenkins
12-04-2015, 12:45 AM

Williams says this is not true.

FISHDAWG
12-04-2015, 08:31 AM
I think it will be Fitzgerald based on the playing time he got vs. Staley this year. I like both- but I can't see Staley "catching up" to Fitz. They're so close IMO I don't have a preference. The biggest question mark with both is how they are going to do in SEC play? We know Fitzgerald can beat a Sun Belt team- but even there he only threw seven passes in three quarters. And as far as "IT" - every high school QB that goes on to play in the SEC has "IT" in high school. Or actually they better have "IT" in high school if they are going to come play for us. But do they have "IT" as far as SEC play goes? We won't know until South Carolina.

We could do some interesting things with both since one is LH and the other RH. Kind of A-11-ish two QB's in the backfield kind of things that could be creative. I doubt we see that, but it's something I would explore.

yep - and it would be different than when Russell & Dak were splitting time ... everyone knew Tyler was the passer and Dak was the runner ... this situation it seems like both guys can run and throw in the same style offense

BiscuitEater
12-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Fitz has SHOWN in games that he is a very accurate passer .. in somewhat limited action. He has completed 11 of 14 (78.6%) for 235 yards and 3 TDs / 0 Ints. He throws a better long pass than Dak and his QB rating was 290.3 for the year (Dak was 149.9). Even more impressive is his 16.8 yards per pass attempt.

Sacrifice
12-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I believe it's gonna be Fitz too, Mullen will probably say it's a competition just to push both of them but at the end of the day, it'll be Fitz and I think he's gonna be a superstar! The Guy has a bazooka attached to his right arm, you can ask Donald Gray about that. He's fast, we'll be able to work the outside option more with him. He seems to have great pocket awareness but the thing that has impressed me the most about him is when he comes in, it doesn't look like the game is to big for him. He's looks calm and poised. We just have to get him an OL.

preachermatt83
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Can someone explain to me why there is this mass assumption within our fan base that Fitz will win the starting job next season? Yes, he's got more practice reps under his belt than Staley. But Staley has the higher upside and looked really good himself when he got the chance to play.

While both are dual threat QBs, I think each one is relatively different. Both are big, but Staley is Cam Newton size at 6'7" and 250. Both throw a really nice ball, but Staley's is about as pretty as I've ever seen. I see Fitz as more of an outside zone speed runner and Staley as the more classic inside zone read, between the tackles runner in the mold of Dak & Tebow.

I just see this being one hell of a battle all the way up to Game 1 next year and maybe even into the season. I don't see either guy winning it easily. What am I missing that makes so many assume Fitz will be the guy? Genuinely curious to see the responses to this one.

Based just on what I've seen I would say it will be Fitz solely because, to be successful as a QB in Mullen's offense, you have to be a threat to run. Fitz does have the running ability needed. I don't really care how good Staley's throws look, so far I haven't seen him be any kind of running threat at all. Maybe he is but I certainly haven't seen it. Should certainly be an interesting Spring.

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Does Staley have some running ability that hasn't been displayed yet? We don't need another Tyler Russell type standing like a statue in the pocket. Won't work with the quality of OL we have.

gravedigger
12-04-2015, 12:51 PM

1. Fitz has had one more spring and thus, a bit more time to learn the system which leads to #2...
2. Fitz each time has been given the first snaps as the number 2 man. (spring game, Troy, all other games this year)
3. Fitz has done little or nothing to give a reason to put him behind Staley.

I'm sure Staley is just as talented and has everybit the upside Fitz has. I think it will be a great battle too. I just think that Staley has a higher hill to climb with regard to catching ******* eye in a leadership role as Fitz has already established himself as the number 2 guy this year.

I will say that I've rarely, if ever, seen a prettier spiral thrown in my life as the one Staley threw earlier this year to Gray into the north endzone.

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
1. Fitz has had one more spring and thus, a bit more time to learn the system which leads to #2...
2. Fitz each time has been given the first snaps as the number 2 man. (spring game, Troy, all other games this year)
3. Fitz has done little or nothing to give a reason to put him behind Staley.

I'm sure Staley is just as talented and has everybit the upside Fitz has. I think it will be a great battle too. I just think that Staley has a higher hill to climb with regard to catching ******* eye in a leadership role as Fitz has already established himself as the number 2 guy this year.

I will say that I've rarely, if ever, seen a prettier spiral thrown in my life as the one Staley threw earlier this year to Gray into the north endzone.

Plus, I'm concerned Staley is hurting his progress in football by splitting his time with basketball. Also concerned that he is going to end up injured again playing basketball given he's already dealt with a knee injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Does Staley have some running ability that hasn't been displayed yet? We don't need another Tyler Russell type standing like a statue in the pocket. Won't work with the quality of OL we have.

Running won't be an issue for Staley. He's not going to outrun people but he can definitely handle a Relf like running load.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Plus, I'm concerned Staley is hurting his progress in football by splitting his time with basketball. Also concerned that he is going to end up injured again playing basketball given he's already dealt with a knee injury.

Football is still his #1 priority even though he's playing basketball. He won't miss any bowl practices or team meetings for basketball. That has been established & set by Mullen & Howland.

bulldawg28
12-04-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking Staley due that he doesn't get rattled. Fitz has happy feet and that's concerning. He also didn't do Jack when he was placed in the games versus Missouri and Kentucky. Staley is a smooth confident athlete that will bring a confidence factor to the offense last seen with Anthony Dixon in my opinion. I like Fitz but I think he'll be a turnover machine starting until he gets comfortable and calm

yjnkdawg
12-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Running won't be an issue for Staley. He's not going to outrun people but he can definitely handle a Relf like running load.

On a 247 interview, Staley said he was at 238 but wanted to get down to 230 for basketball. Do you think that would be the best weight for football, or do you think he would need to put some more pounds back on?

FISHDAWG
12-04-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking Staley due that he doesn't get rattled. Fitz has happy feet and that's concerning. He also didn't do Jack when he was placed in the games versus Missouri and Kentucky. Staley is a smooth confident athlete that will bring a confidence factor to the offense last seen with Anthony Dixon in my opinion. I like Fitz but I think he'll be a turnover machine starting until he gets comfortable and calm

what evidence do you have to back up any of this ?

Coach34
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
If I have to pick one- I'll go with Fitz right now.

Fitz is the better runner. That is what makes out offense click. People try to act like it is overplayed- but our offense is predicated on a mobile QB. Fitz is growing into the position and throws an outstanding deep ball- also a big factor with Fred and Gray returning. Should stretch the D more in 2016. Getting the game reps he got this year over Staley is huge as well. Both guys are pretty smart- so I dont see any real advantage there. Fitz doesnt suffer from the "Doubt Syndrome"- with some people saying he is too damn cocky. I personally love that myself- if you can do it- it aint bragging.

Staley doesnt have quick feet. He has potential to be physical- and with his size- could be an adequate runner. He throws a good-looking ball- no doubt. He has the potential to be a playmaker and a confidence as well. He's been hurt and missed alot of valuable reps- which cost him game reps.

Right now- I see Fitz being the starter next season to begin- but Staley being good enough to get some drives in games early. Depending how each perform- we will go from there.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
On a 247 interview, Staley said he was at 238 but wanted to get down to 230 for basketball. Do you think that would be the best weight for football, or do you think he would need to put some more pounds back on?

Anything between 230-250lbs he would be fine.

bulldawg28
12-04-2015, 02:11 PM
what evidence do you have to back up any of this ?

From playing and watching them I posted my opinion. Also, if you'll read the stats from scrimmages Fitz tended to always throw a couple of picks.

maroonmania
12-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Football is still his #1 priority even though he's playing basketball. He won't miss any bowl practices or team meetings for basketball. That has been established & set by Mullen & Howland.

Well, let's just hope he doesn't blow out a knee. Our basketball players seem to be prone to doing that.

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2015, 08:43 PM
If I have to pick one- I'll go with Fitz right now.

Fitz is the better runner. That is what makes out offense click. People try to act like it is overplayed- but our offense is predicated on a mobile QB. Fitz is growing into the position and throws an outstanding deep ball- also a big factor with Fred and Gray returning. Should stretch the D more in 2016. Getting the game reps he got this year over Staley is huge as well. Both guys are pretty smart- so I dont see any real advantage there. Fitz doesnt suffer from the "Doubt Syndrome"- with some people saying he is too damn cocky. I personally love that myself- if you can do it- it aint bragging.

Staley doesnt have quick feet. He has potential to be physical- and with his size- could be an adequate runner. He throws a good-looking ball- no doubt. He has the potential to be a playmaker and a confidence as well. He's been hurt and missed alot of valuable reps- which cost him game reps.

Right now- I see Fitz being the starter next season to begin- but Staley being good enough to get some drives in games early. Depending how each perform- we will go from there.

Good stuff. Glad to see you come back to this thread and add some depth. Agree that Staley's injury that forced him to miss last spring was really bad for him. I think that has hurt him moreso than Fitz getting the extra spring. Interesting to hear you say Fitz is a better runner. I had thought you were in the Staley camp. I just think their running styles are really different. Fitz is faster but Staley has more power. Both are huge, so I don't really worry about either in terms of number of carries.

smootness
12-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Based just on what I've seen I would say it will be Fitz solely because, to be successful as a QB in Mullen's offense, you have to be a threat to run. Fitz does have the running ability needed. I don't really care how good Staley's throws look, so far I haven't seen him be any kind of running threat at all. Maybe he is but I certainly haven't seen it. Should certainly be an interesting Spring.

He is.

Jarius
12-05-2015, 01:39 AM
He can say what he wants about not missing practices and such, but he is in a qb race with someone already ahead of him and the other guy isn't juggling 2 sports. Fitz will have all winter and spring to do nothing but focus on football. I think he is going to win the job because quite frankly he is the one that is the most committed to football. While Staley is playing basketball, Fitz will be getting extra reps outside of practice/Film room/etc. We don't need our quarterback focusing on anything except being an SEC quarterback in my opinion. I doubt he is the next Charlie Ward, but I guess we will see. I'm not pulling for one over the other, but I do think Fitz is going to be the one that wins the job for the reasons mentioned.