PDA

View Full Version : Serious questions about the Hump

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I watch basketball games on TV and see schools with crazy student sections, all wearing the same color, all chanting and cheering...on Tuesday and Wednesday nights(even non top 25 teams). I also notice that most student sections go down the sidelines and are seen on TV.

My questions: Why do our students seem to not get as involved as other schools. Some are wearing camo, some red, some blue, green....etc.

And is there a good reason why our student section can't be along the first 20 or so rows around the whole court. OR at least on the side that is shown on TV?

It just seems to me, even during the Eastern Washington game this year when their was 9,000 people there, it was kind of...mehhh as far as being a hostile environment.

Blackout
12-03-2015, 11:09 AM
In the early 2000's there weren't many more intimidating venues than the Hump.

DawgSaint
12-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Our season tickets are located in the "old student section." If I thought they would've shown up last night I'd be all for them moving back. However, I just think we're a couple years away from getting to where you're hoping to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see student section moved back next year considering this is the last year in the current seating arrangement.

dogwhisperer
12-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Our season tickets are located in the "old student section." If I thought they would've shown up last night I'd be all for them moving back. However, I just think we're a couple years away from getting to where you're hoping to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see student section moved back next year considering this is the last year in the current seating arrangement.

It is time for finals plus we were not playing a big name team. I am expecting larger crowds all the way around for SEC play.

LC Dawg
12-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Ban cell phones from ball games and you will get more involvement from students and all fans. Take a look around at any athletic event you are attending and look at the number of people looking down instead of looking at the game. I'm not talking about during time outs but during live action.
I know you can't ban cell phones but I do think they affect crowd involvement. As far as our students I think they will get a lot more involved as the product improves. The current students have never seen good basketball played by the home team. As stated above the Hump used to be a very intimidating place to play.

CarolinaDawgs
12-03-2015, 11:28 AM
I watch basketball games on TV and see schools with crazy student sections, all wearing the same color, all chanting and cheering...on Tuesday and Wednesday nights(even non top 25 teams). I also notice that most student sections go down the sidelines and are seen on TV.

My questions: Why do our students seem to not get as involved as other schools. Some are wearing camo, some red, some blue, green....etc.

And is there a good reason why our student section can't be along the first 20 or so rows around the whole court. OR at least on the side that is shown on TV?

It just seems to me, even during the Eastern Washington game this year when their was 9,000 people there, it was kind of...mehhh as far as being a hostile environment.

It is called the Rick Ray effect. We start strong in SEC play good things should come. The Southern loss set student support back more than people think.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2015, 11:34 AM
I think some of them are tweeting play by play of the game. That gives me the reds when people are tweeting play by play of the game when A. the game is on TV, B. The game is on the radio AND OR C. Most people are at the game. I understand tweeting score updates but play by play...hell no

starkvegasdawg
12-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Back in the 90's when I was a student here you better be n line when the doors opened to get a seat. I remember camping out before the AR game one year and when the doors opened it was like Walmart on black Friday. An earlier poster nailed it. Back during our Final 4 days there was no more intimidating place to play than the Hump. For those that never got to experience a game there then you really missed something. Imagine the atmosphere of Scott Field today crammed into the Hump and you have an idea. Plus, I think the students back then were more into it. I remember back when the student section went to around the 40 yard line in football and the students were down to the first row that we gave teh visiting team hell. I remember coaches and security having to physically restrain an AR player from coming into the stands we had gotten into his head so bad. It was the next season that student tickets didn't stary until about row 30 or so and eventually moved to where they weren't behind the visitiing team. We used to do everything we could to make playing us in football or basketball a slice of pure hell.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
The Hump is dead because the basketball program was dead. The Ray years destroyed what it was. It wasn't what it had been when Ray took over of course but we still had big crowds for the big games. I went to the UM game last year and it was pathetic. There is no gimmic to get it back to being a snake pit. It's going to take winning to get the crowds back. Then the students are going to have to learn how to act at a basketball game again. My son is a sophomore. He said the at the one game this year that we did have a nice student crowd the students really didn't know what to do. He was speaking from his experiences as a kid when he would go with me. He saw the Hump when it was still something like what it was at its best.

gtowndawg
12-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Back in the 90's when I was a student here you better be n line when the doors opened to get a seat. I remember camping out before the AR game one year and when the doors opened it was like Walmart on black Friday. An earlier poster nailed it. Back during our Final 4 days there was no more intimidating place to play than the Hump. For those that never got to experience a game there then you really missed something. Imagine the atmosphere of Scott Field today crammed into the Hump and you have an idea. Plus, I think the students back then were more into it. I remember back when the student section went to around the 40 yard line in football and the students were down to the first row that we gave teh visiting team hell. I remember coaches and security having to physically restrain an AR player from coming into the stands we had gotten into his head so bad. It was the next season that student tickets didn't stary until about row 30 or so and eventually moved to where they weren't behind the visitiing team. We used to do everything we could to make playing us in football or basketball a slice of pure hell.

I was there as well. It was so crazy back then you would have to skip class on Monday morning to get a ticket to that week's game(s). I'm not sure why it was like that back then (releasing student tickets the week of the game) but getting tickets to b-ball was series business.

drummerdawg
12-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Gotta understand that these students haven't seen good basketball before, so they don't really know what to do because they haven't had anything to learn from. Not saying that's an excuse but they just don't know what to do. I do think that they need some shirts made up and encouraged to wear them. Also I think they need to have an official name, I don't think Howland's Howlers is catching on and it's gonna have to change once he's gone. It would be cool to have a permanent name that way it becomes a tradition and builds pride to be a part of. I thought it would be cool to drop Rick's and just be The Rowdies. It would be cool to have the students more visible too. Maybe we need a Cowbell Yell type of thing to teach them how to be a good student section. If we can educate students on how to ring responsibly and only yell when the center is over the ball, I think it wouldn't be too hard to teach them to stand, yell, and wear white.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2015, 01:04 PM
The Hump is dead because the basketball program was dead. The Ray years destroyed what it was. It wasn't what it had been when Ray took over of course but we still had big crowds for the big games. I went to the UM game last year and it was pathetic. There is no gimmic to get it back to being a snake pit. It's going to take winning to get the crowds back. Then the students are going to have to learn how to act at a basketball game again. My son is a sophomore. He said the at the one game this year that we did have a nice student crowd the students really didn't know what to do. He was speaking from his experiences as a kid when he would go with me. He saw the Hump when it was still something like what it was at its best.

They need to do like they do at Cameron. Students get there early and someone comes out and kind of sets up what needs to happen as far as chants go. Our in-game promotions are terrible. That thing they did last night about shaking your head for 30 seconds looked like they were either having a seizure or possessed by an evil spirit.

Maroon_and_white
12-03-2015, 02:49 PM

Pretty Simple. If you win they will come.