PDA

View Full Version : Ozonics ?

Treemydawg
12-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Does anyone have one, or have experiences using one of these ? I've been reading, watching videos of testimonials and they have me convinced these things are the truth. I have also been looking into the scent crusher products. Specifically the gear bag and vehicle model and I think they would work too. I have said all these things to say that I'm a scent control freak. I try to do everything right, wash my clothes, take a bath, wear scent eliminating deodorant, and spray down until I'm almost soaking wet before I go into my stands. This year is different for me, I am in a new hunting club and I have pics of four giants. I have been getting pics of these deer since September in my stand location and the wind has only been right twice this year to hunt these deer. They are there almost daily but the two times the wind has been right to hunt there I haven't seen a deer. If any of y'all have a ozonics are you comfortable enough with it hunting 4-5 yr old MS deer that you 100% trust and believe in it. I'm itching to hunt these deer more. The only right wind is a SE wind and it doesn't happen much. I need all the help I can get. Anyone have any info?

SpeckleDawg
12-03-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't personally know anyone that has used it nor have I ever used one, but lots of people swear by them. I used to use all the sprays, etc. This year I just use un-scented deodorant, wash camo in baking soda and usually take a "scent-free" shower before a hunt. I haven't seen any worse results than when I was using the sprays, etc. In fact, I have killed more this year than before. Of course, as you know the biggest factor is always the wind.

I'm all for confidence boosters when hunting or fishing even if it only gives me a slight advantage. I saw the Ozonics in Academy the other day and was shocked at the price tag. I recently read about some much cheaper ozone generators on another site that do the same thing. May be worth trying a knock-off and see if you get results. I will be interested to hear how it works out for you if you decide to pull the trigger.

SapperDawg
12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
I listened to a great podcast the other day where the guest was talking about hunting mountain deer. As you can never really predict the wind swirls in the mountains, he said he is fanatical about scent control and never pays attention to wind. He never uses sprays, and what he described made sense: starting the month prior to deer season he washes all his gear in scent free detergent (after a water and detergent wash of the machine first), including his towel and "wear to the hunt" clothes. He hangs the hunting gear to dry outside, and then they never see the inside of his house until after the season - goes right in a scent free bag and is stowed in garage. Stops wearing anything with scent - shaving cream, lotion, etc. Only uses scent free detergents and cleaning items. Morning of hunt, heads out wearing "go to hunt clothes", gets to hunting area and completely changes everything - including socks and underwear - from "go to hunt" clothes to hunting clothes.

He made some very good points about taking a scent free shower only to jump out and dry off with the same towel your wife used, wearing your hunting clothes in your truck, etc. Worth a listen if you have the time: Wired to Hunt Podcast, episode 71.

I am moving this way, as I just don't have enough areas to hunt to play the perfect wind every time....otherwise, I wouldn't get to hunt at all.

Treemydawg
12-03-2015, 08:30 PM
I listened to a great podcast the other day where the guest was talking about hunting mountain deer. As you can never really predict the wind swirls in the mountains, he said he is fanatical about scent control and never pays attention to wind. He never uses sprays, and what he described made sense: starting the month prior to deer season he washes all his gear in scent free detergent (after a water and detergent wash of the machine first), including his towel and "wear to the hunt" clothes. He hangs the hunting gear to dry outside, and then they never see the inside of his house until after the season - goes right in a scent free bag and is stowed in garage. Stops wearing anything with scent - shaving cream, lotion, etc. Only uses scent free detergents and cleaning items. Morning of hunt, heads out wearing "go to hunt clothes", gets to hunting area and completely changes everything - including socks and underwear - from "go to hunt" clothes to hunting clothes.

He made some very good points about taking a scent free shower only to jump out and dry off with the same towel your wife used, wearing your hunting clothes in your truck, etc. Worth a listen if you have the time: Wired to Hunt Podcast, episode 71.

I am moving this way, as I just don't have enough areas to hunt to play the perfect wind every time....otherwise, I wouldn't get to hunt at all.
I agree with this. I already practice some of the things you listed. Why take a scent free shower and get out and dry off with a towel that my wife washed in her detergent that smells like tulips ?? You have to wash everything you use in scent free detergent. On the other hand as much as I prepare to be scent free you just can't beat their nose. I have done everything right in the past and still have been blown outta the tree by deer. I believe it has to do with the body and the skin cells that the body is always getting rid of and producing more all the time. I will get up a tree many mornings at 4:30 and sit there until dark, espically when the rut gets going. I think the deer smell what your body (skin) is putting out there in the wind. Your body produces these skin cells continually and they contaminate your hunting area. Google ozonics testimonials and read some of the stuff on there. One guy did a test with every kind of scent control you can possibly imagine with a drug dog. The conventional washes and sprays only took the dog 10- 15 seconds to find someone, while the man with the ozonics was undetected for almost a minute. With what I have watched on you tube and read on google I'm starting to believe they truly do work. Are they worth what they want for them??? I don't know that's up to every fella to decide for himself. I do know that if it will give me any kind of advantage over a deers nose, espically a mature deer I think it's worth every penny. 150- 160 " deer don't come along all that often here in MS. I'm going to order one and let y'all fellas know how it turns out.

FISHDAWG
12-04-2015, 09:48 AM
I agree that there's some def benefits to scent control although nothing can be done to totally eliminate it ... my favorite author who wrote several books about his professional hunting career in Africa said in one of his books that he always allowed his clients to smoke while on a "stand" situation over bait. His reasoning was if they could smell the smoke, then they could smell you ... while I personally dont subscribe to this practice it made a lot of sense ... point is, if you have the money to buy these products then by all means go ahead - but if you're on a budget, then it's not as big a deal as most folks believe if you just hunt the proper wind currents. The place I think it really pays off the best is while you are approaching your stand ... I have seen deer freak out over a two or three hour old scent trail where you walked in and then not even take notice of it if you were wearing rubber boots or maybe scent-lock pants 30 minutes before

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-07-2015, 12:17 PM
I think they work well, but I've seen 3 real world examples of it hindering the ability to kill big, mature bucks. Although it "eliminates" smell, it still emits Ozone and it can make those extra timid bucks to be even more less likely to come out during shooting hours. Several of my buddies had good bucks on camera during the day and were never seeing them. I suggested to leave the Ozonics at home and it paid off for their particular situation. Personally, I always play the wind and if it's not right, I'll test my patience and wait until it is.