PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones and practice observations thus far

ShotgunDawg
08-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Not sure if anyone read the article on Chris Jones this morning:

http://djournal.com/sports/msus-jones-draws-raves/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=msus-jones-draws-raves

While I think we should all be very conservative with throwing out anointing oil before a player even gets to the contact portion of camp his freshman year of college, I think there is some evidence starting to mount in Chris' favor.

1. He was obviously the number 2 ranked player in the country.

2. It has been verified that he is 6'7" 305 pounds

3. (biggest surprise?) He apparently has good makeup and work ethic according to some of the older players, and it has also been reported that he has latched onto Denico Autry and is always asking him questions. While I always wanted to believe this, I have to admit I became a little concerned after his actions in January.

4. Coach Collins says he runs like a deer

So... in summery, we have a 6'7" 305 pound player, that will probably play this year around 295, that can jump out of the gym, run like a deer, apparently didn't come in with a big head, is asking questions to older players, and working hard.

I hate to speculate...., but this could get serious. While we certainly can't predict his career on the first 2 days, it does seem like things are off to the correct start in giving him a chance to reach his potential, whatever that may be. As we have seen with many other players, Sidney and maybe even Quay and James, a lot can be said for an extremely talented kid coming in ready to work and learn. I think that has a better chance of happening when the coaches recruit a kid the correct way.

As far as practice goes, not many observations, because I am not there, but I do like the addition of music. Seems to me like the coaches are "throwing the kitchen sink" at creating more energy. Which bodes well for us wanting a more physical and aggressive team.

MarketingBully01
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
He definitely came to the right school. Once Coach Turner teaches him further technique, he will be unstoppable on the line. Glad we have him on our team. Could turn out to be the best prospect ever to come to State. Would be no doubt if he had gone to Ole Miss, he would have been a wasted talent. Their DLine coach Kiffin hasn't proven anything from the stand point of coaching their kids up or coaching technique or anything.

PMDawg
08-03-2013, 04:14 PM
I hate ole miss too but kiffin is there for a reason. I'm sure he teaches just fine.

I seen it dawg
08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
recruiting

MarketingBully01
08-03-2013, 04:41 PM
He is only there for the Kiffin name. He has only been coaching DLines for two years. What could he possibly be able to teach them? He is there mainly for recruiting purposes. The biggest blow they had this offseason was McGriff leaving them. He had legitimate players develop under him at Miami. He will be missed more then they will know.

FlabLoser
08-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Kiffin has been on football staffs for a long time. All he has done is croot and perform administrative tasks. Last year was his first year to coach, right?

Kimdeechy is an idiot for putting his career into the hands of a first or second year coach.

archdog
08-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't really care if kiffin can coach. Great Job Chris. Keep working hard.

elitedawgs
08-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Kiffin coached his first year of DL coaching last year. He's not coached a DL prior to 2012. David Turner has many years experience coaching DL. Kiffin is a recruiter first, then a coach.