PDA

View Full Version : Maryland hires Durkin

Quaoarsking
12-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Per Thayer Evans twitter

TSUNami
12-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Sure looking more and more likely that Dan is just being Dan jerking the media around. Or he blew an interview or two like he supposedly did a few years ago.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Sure looking more and more likely that Dan is just being Dan jerking the media around. Or he blew an interview or two like he supposedly did a few years ago.

Nothing to prove he ever talked much less interviewed with Maryland. Looks like he is in Top 3 for Miami but it's Richt's job if he wants it, reportedly.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Maryland was the most attractive opening left IMO.

HancockCountyDog
12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Its over. He is staying here. Unless South Carolina hires Rich Rod and Zona opens up, there is no school willing to pay a big salary and pay a big buyout and deal with Dan's ego. It ain't happening.

This is good news for us, we just need our coach to issue a statement today that he is not a candidate for any other jobs.

My guess is that a statement is put out this evening once CDM realizes that we are the only option he really has.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 02:21 PM

I like Virginia better. I don't know what to think about So Car and their search.

scottycameron
12-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Per Thayer Evans twitter

way to go maryland, nice wet blanket job. They could have at least thrown a bunch of crap out there for rumors then wait it out for a while. Nice job, dicks.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Maryland is way better than Virgini in my opinion (and we know what opinions are worth).

They really do have a chance to be the "Oregon of the east" now that Plank has made them a pet project. Being in the Big Ten in the DC area is huge too. There a re a ton of transient people in DC from Big Ten schools. It's amazing how much influence that conference has in that town. The SEC and ACC have little to none. It was a great move by Maryland.

I think they're a program that could really blow up if they get Planks money and hire the right coach. Being Under Armour's shining light isn't a bad thing to be nationally right now.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I can see that Hack. I think Virginia is underrated and with the right guy could do really well. But if Maryland gets that commitment it could be a goldmine. I still think Richt at Virginia is a great fit but like you said opinions...

defiantdog
12-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Maryland is way better than Virgini in my opinion (and we know what opinions are worth).

They really do have a chance to be the "Oregon of the east" now that Plank has made them a pet project. Being in the Big Ten in the DC area is huge too. There a re a ton of transient people in DC from Big Ten schools. It's amazing how much influence that conference has in that town. The SEC and ACC have little to none. It was a great move by Maryland.

I think they're a program that could really blow up if they get Planks money and hire the right coach. Being Under Armour's shining light isn't a bad thing to be nationally right now.

Plank won't blindly throw money at them unless a lot of boosters start nutting up. Maryland has awful support from their boosters. And their administration doesn't help. I'm not sure he can turn that school into Oregon. Oregon actually has a lot of support outside of the Nike stronghold..... Maryland doesn't. This is a stepping stone for Durkin.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Richt at Virginia with Beamer gone could be interesting. I can't see him passing up Miami though if his wife will accept living near Coral Gables.

BoomBoom
12-02-2015, 02:40 PM

"What tweaks to your system do you intend to implement this off-season?"

Dan: [blank stare]

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Its over. He is staying here. Unless South Carolina hires Rich Rod and Zona opens up, there is no school willing to pay a big salary and pay a big buyout and deal with Dan's ego. It ain't happening.

This is good news for us, we just need our coach to issue a statement today that he is not a candidate for any other jobs.

My guess is that a statement is put out this evening once CDM realizes that we are the only option he really has.

This is terrible news for us. We're stuck with a coach who doesn't really want to be here. Let the decline begin.

Bothrops
12-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Maryland is a slightly better football job than Virginia in my opinion. Virginia fans probably think football is a neanderthal sport.

QuadrupleOption
12-02-2015, 03:28 PM
This is terrible news for us. We're stuck with a coach who doesn't really want to be here. Let the decline begin.

Is that the narrative now?

confucius say
12-02-2015, 03:30 PM
"Crab cakes and football, that's what Maryland does"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_2ADWBZgS8&app=desktop

confucius say
12-02-2015, 03:30 PM

It's caught on like a bad virus

sandwolf
12-02-2015, 03:40 PM

Yes. Todd is really good at reading people and after watching Mullen's post Egg Bowl press conference he knows for a fact that Mullen no longer wants to be here.

MetEdDawg
12-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Here's my thing on all of this. Are we seriously going to believe that Mullen was "passed over" for the Maryland job? Maryland doesn't hire a Durkin over Mullen unless they are freaking stupid or their donors said hell no absolutely not, and I don't see either of two happening regardless of whether or not he blew an interview (which I highly doubt). We can all be pissed about 8-4 and an Egg Bowl loss, but Mullen has made us into a legitimate threat now, so we shouldn't be shocked about reports of his name to schools, especially since we continue to say how much we are disrespected and still seen as a lower tier program. He's got something teams want and that's a winning record, getting a team to #1, and a bunch of new facilities and buzz around a program. If Mullen seriously did interview with them, are we saying they turned down an interested 7 year head coach of an SEC team for a coordinator who was an interim for one game? That to me makes no sense.

As far as Miami goes, are we saying Mullen 100% interviewed with them? I would be shocked that a fan base that doesn't come to games, plus moving your family to Miami, plus the fact they paid their last coach 2.2 million dollars would be a bit of a stretch for him to be interested. Now maybe he did interview. I can't confirm that. But I'm beginning to get a little suspicious of all this crap.

We probably as a collective need to truly inspect what the hell is going on here and calm the hell down with the rhetoric of him leaving or wanting to leave. If he wanted to leave, a school would pay him enough money for him to get out. That hasn't happened.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Here's my thing on all of this. Are we seriously going to believe that Mullen was "passed over" for the Maryland job? Maryland doesn't hire a Durkin over Mullen unless they are freaking stupid or their donors said hell no absolutely not, and I don't see either of two happening regardless of whether or not he blew an interview (which I highly doubt). We can all be pissed about 8-4 and an Egg Bowl loss, but Mullen has made us into a legitimate threat now, so we shouldn't be shocked about reports of his name to schools, especially since we continue to say how much we are disrespected and still seen as a lower tier program. He's got something teams want and that's a winning record, getting a team to #1, and a bunch of new facilities and buzz around a program. If Mullen seriously did interview with them, are we saying they turned down an interested 7 year head coach of an SEC team for a coordinator who was an interim for one game? That to me makes no sense.

As far as Miami goes, are we saying Mullen 100% interviewed with them? I would be shocked that a fan base that doesn't come to games, plus moving your family to Miami, plus the fact they paid their last coach 2.2 million dollars would be a bit of a stretch for him to be interested. Now maybe he did interview. I can't confirm that. But I'm beginning to get a little suspicious of all this crap.

We probably as a collective need to truly inspect what the hell is going on here and calm the hell down with the rhetoric of him leaving or wanting to leave. If he wanted to leave, a school would pay him enough money for him to get out. That hasn't happened.

People don't realize what he makes. His public salary is lower than his real salary. There are very few schools that will pay him that. Even Under Armour won't shell out $4.5 million a year considering the amount they're likely about to invest in facility upgrades, uniforms, and assistants at Maryland.

I have a strong feeling there was interest until they found out his current salary. As I've said before, and still hold, I think he'll still be here for a while because he's not worth as much to other schools as he is to State. Unless he truly wants out, he's not leaving because no one else can come close to giving him what we have in terms of pay and facilities.