PDA

View Full Version : "I don't care if we're a stepping stone job. That means we're winning."

DancingRabbit
12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that sentiment has been expressed by many of those that are trashing Dan for not vehemently denying every single internet rumor.

Dan's no Saban, but he will continue to field good teams until he moves on. And we will be fortunate to replace him with a coach that can equal or exceed him.

MSU is in a lot better position to hire a good football coach if it comes to that, and Dan has to get some credit for that. Keenum and Stricklin have seen up close and personal what a good program looks like and what a good coach looks like. If they have to, hopefully they can go get the right guy.

TSUNami
12-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Keenum + Stricklin kinda blew the Rick Ray hire already. But Howland is looking good. 1 for 2 ain't bad.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that sentiment has been expressed by many of those that are trashing Dan for not vehemently denying every single internet rumor.

Dan's no Saban, but he will continue to field good teams until he moves on. And we will be fortunate to replace him with a coach that can equal or exceed him.

MSU is in a lot better position to hire a good football coach if it comes to that, and Dan has to get some credit for that. Keenum and Stricklin have seen up close and personal what a good program looks like and what a good coach looks like. If they have to, hopefully they can go get the right guy.

More stupidity. 1-4 years as a first time head coach is better defined as a stepping stone position. He's been here 7 years. He's making more than 4 million dollars. This isn't a stepping stone job for him. If he left in 2012 I would agree with you. He is now in the unique position of undoing all of the good he's done because of this mess.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Keenum + Stricklin kinda blew the Rick Ray hire already. But Howland is looking good. 1 for 2 ain't bad.

I don't know about that. From what I heard at the time, from someone who knows, Ray was the best we could do. Nobody better wanted the job, period.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Expect Miami decision within 24 hrs. Interviews are complete. If it goes longer its Richt but Richt is likely headed to SC.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Wrong thread.

maroonmania
I don't know about that. From what I heard at the time, from someone who knows, Ray was the best we could do. Nobody better wanted the job, period.

Yep, the problem there was being willing to let your current coach go (if he didn't agree to your demands) without having at least checked interest in the job from potential replacement candidates. I don't believe Ray was the best we could do though because nobody can make me believe Kermit Davis wouldn't have taken the job at the time and he would have at least been better than Ray.

DancingRabbit
More stupidity. 1-4 years as a first time head coach is better defined as a stepping stone position. He's been here 7 years. He's making more than 4 million dollars. This isn't a stepping stone job for him. If he left in 2012 I would agree with you. He is now in the unique position of undoing all of the good he's done because of this mess.

Not very unique. Jackie, Stans and Polk 2 did that, but no one was trying to hire them.

So, it's a bad thing he stayed a few more years to give us 10-win and 9-win (maybe) seasons, back to back?

defiantdog
12-02-2015, 03:11 PM

Nobody wanted the job at all..... there's a reason why Strick wasn't by himself looking for a new coach. But the same booster everyone bitched at for searching for a coach after the Stans firing was the same booster who carted Howland in when his agent called. But everyone can bitch and complain about how boosters get in the way..... when in fact, the coaches would be lost without the majority.

sleepy dawg
12-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Not very unique. Jackie, Stans and Polk 2 did that, but no one was trying to hire them.

So, it's a bad thing he stayed a few more years to give us 10-win and 9-win (maybe) seasons, back to back?

Agree. Everyone's acting like it's a forgone conclusion that we're automatically dropping back to shitty team a gain and won't be capable of 9-10 win seasons going forward.