PDA

View Full Version : Newmans draft stock is tanking, not even in 2016 draft class projection

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 11:37 AM
nbadraft.net no longer has Malik in their 2016 mock drafts. He is now listed at #28 in the 2017 draft. For perspective, Malik was a top 5 pick as early as this past August.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Edit to add: Another respected source draftexpress had him at #3 in 2016 draft before the season started and now have moved him down to #18 which is outside of the lottery.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

SDDawg
12-02-2015, 11:42 AM
I hate it for him, but clearly he has some development to do and some health to regain. That said, if he goes into conference play, is full healthy, and dominates in January and February he'll be right back in there. Could change very quickly.

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 11:46 AM
I hate it for him, but clearly he has some development to do and some health to regain. That said, if he goes into conference play, is full healthy, and dominates in January and February he'll be right back in there. Could change very quickly.

If he doesn't wake up and get out of AAU mode when he's on the court he'll either be in Europe or having to work his way up from the D league if he is still set on "one and done" He lacks heart and effort on defense and his explosion is not there. Explosion could be partially blamed on turf toe and/or non shooting hand being taped up but it's time to put it all out there. He's costing himself millions of dollars

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
any website with ".net" at the end of it is not credible. Isn't this the same website that said Ravern was a late first round pick ? How's he doing in the Pros? *

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Well I hope that he and Howland and his parents make the best decision for him. I think that he can improve his draft stock as the season goes on, but I would not be terribly offended if he came back next season.

MarketingBully
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
If he doesn't wake up and get out of AAU mode when he's on the court he'll either be in Europe or having to work his way up from the D league if he is still set on "one and done" He lacks heart and effort on defense and his explosion is not there. Explosion could be partially blamed on turf toe and/or non shooting hand being taped up but it's time to put it all out there. He's costing himself millions of dollars

We are six games into his career. He has put up decent numbers and has been recovering from turf toe. If he is still wearing the metal insole in his shoe, I can understand why his game has been hampered. By the time SEC season starts and he gets going, he will be back on the draft boards. If he is still struggling adjusting to his new position by the end of the year, he will be back for his sophomore year. He has already said this.

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
any website with ".net" at the end of it is not credible. Isn't this the same website that said Ravern was a late first round pick ? How's he doing in the Pros? *

Since detecting sarcasm over the internet can sometimes be difficult, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt instead of saying that is one of the more ignorant statements I've read.

thf24
12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I think some of you are failing to consider just how limiting a rigid steel plate in your shoe would be. It's not just a "play through the pain" thing, it's physically limiting how he can move. Maybe he won't turn out to be one-and-done material, but we sure as hell aren't seeing what he's capable of right now.

Johnson85
12-02-2015, 12:03 PM
He's costing himself millions of dollars

Not really, unless you think he would be drafted in the lottery if he sat out the entire season with an injury.

If he lives up to expectations the last half of conference play, he'll be back to where he was. They'll write off his earlier performance to injuries and adjusting to the college game, which is pretty reasonable.

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:03 PM
We are six games into his career. He has put up decent numbers and has been recovering from turf toe. If he is still wearing the metal insole in his shoe, I can understand why his game has been hampered. By the time SEC season starts and he gets going, he will be back on the draft boards. If he is still struggling adjusting to his new position by the end of the year, he will be back for his sophomore year. He has already said this.

I must have completely missed this quote where he said he would be back for his sophomore year if he is struggling to adjust and I have kept up with Newman fairly well over the last year. Was this quoted in a video or article somewhere and do you have a source? Everything I have seen from player and coach has been "one and done".

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Next year's roster if Newman returns...oh man...the mind boggles.

Irondawg
12-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I think some of you are failing to consider just how limiting a rigid steel plate in your shoe would be. It's not just a "play through the pain" thing, it's physically limiting how he can move. Maybe he won't turn out to be one-and-done material, but we sure as hell aren't seeing what he's capable of right now.

agree - he's impossible to judge right now b/c of the injury. That said I still have my doubts about one and done but we'll see how he looks in a month

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I must have completely missed this quote where he said he would be back for his sophomore year if he is struggling to adjust and I have kept up with Newman fairly well over the last year. Was this quoted in a video or article somewhere and do you have a source? Everything I have seen from player and coach has been "one and done".

GO TO 8:40 mark...Actually he says a little more than sophomore season...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/12/watch-beyond-game-malik-newman/75635702/

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Fair, but consider our basketball marketing team advertised this past game for fans to "Come see a fully healthy Newman play" in which Newman proceeded to build a brick house.

Look, I understand the injury could be nagging him and limiting him, but I also am going to assume that the draft analysts on the 2 aforementioned sites do their due diligence on injury situations and both are dropping him out of a lottery pick. One site completely moving him to #28 in 2017 draft? How could they do that without some sort of information. This exact site had him at #16 just 2 weeks ago. Something is clearly going on.

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:16 PM
GO TO 8:40 mark...Actually he says a little more than sophomore season...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/12/watch-beyond-game-malik-newman/75635702/

Gotcha, good stuff

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
He's been hurt. Give him time. You don't lose what he had. It'll be back.

msstate7
12-02-2015, 12:24 PM

Exactly.

Everyone should stand up and jump. You'll notice that you lift off your toes with your shoe bent at the front. Now jump flat footed and see the difference... Malik's shoe won't bend on injured foot, so he loses explosion jumping and running. Why are we so hard on a kid that's injured and turned down big name programs everywhere to come here? Let me get healthy before you declare him a bust

MarketingBully
12-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Really, Howland is the only one pushing the one and done mantra. If Newman feels he isn't ready to jump after this year, he won't go. I'd love to see him stay for his sophomore season as I think with him the team next year could challenge Kentucky for the SEC championship. The talent would be immense with a starting five of Newman, Q, Kegler, Holman, and Herard starting with Peters, Carter, Ready, Stapleton, Ado, and Wright off the bench. The ceiling for that team would be amazing. Two five stars and three four stars starting and another four four stars off the bench.

chef dixon
12-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Some of you guys are harsh as hell. The ability is apparent. The injury has got to be frustrating for him to say the least.

If you can drop 20 spots in the draft after 6 games that tells me he can be up 20 spots after 12 games. I mean damn.

MarketingBully
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Some of you guys are harsh as hell. The ability is apparent. The injury has got to be frustrating for him to say the least.

If you can drop 20 spots in the draft after 6 games that tells me he can be up 20 spots after 12 games. I mean damn.

Personally, I think he shows out in the SEC and it will be hard for teams to focus on him when you have both Sword and Ware that teams will focus on. We blew out a decent UTM team and I think we are starting to buy into what Howland is teaching them on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. I like Q coming off the bench and providing us a spark there. I think the potential is still very high for this team especially if we get Newman going.

chef dixon
12-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Personally, I think he shows out in the SEC and it will be hard for teams to focus on him when you have both Sword and Ware that teams will focus on. We blew out a decent UTM team and I think we are starting to buy into what Howland is teaching them on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. I like Q coming off the bench and providing us a spark there. I think the potential is still very high for this team especially if we get Newman going.

Agreed. We have 10 days off after tonight and I hope it gives Malik time to recover.

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Exactly.

Everyone should stand up and jump. You'll notice that you lift off your toes with your shoe bent at the front. Now jump flat footed and see the difference... Malik's shoe won't bend on injured foot, so he loses explosion jumping and running. Why are we so hard on a kid that's injured and turned down big name programs everywhere to come here? Let me get healthy before you declare him a bust

Higher scrutiny and criticisms come with being such a highly touted recruit with such high NBA draft expectations. Newman knows this. In my "message board hero" opinion he is not been up to the hype. Could injuries be playing a role? Sure. Could lackadaisical effort on the defensive end be playing a role? Yes. I agree that it is too early to tell how great he will be, but there has still been a 5 game sample size.

Newman is trying to make a switch to PG to better bolster his NBA status, yet he doesn't look comfortable at all handling the ball full time against poor competition in the limited times Howland has actually let him run the PG.

Alldawg
12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
He wants out ******

Maroon_and_white
12-02-2015, 12:43 PM

Sword needs to look himself in the mirror and learn that he will not be the centerpiece of this offense, Newman will, and he needs to focus on how he can best compliment Newman. Q needs to be playing 30+ minutes a game, he is currently our best guard.

MarketingBully
12-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Sword needs to look himself in the mirror and learn that he will not be the centerpiece of this offense, Newman will, and he needs to focus on how he can best compliment Newman. Q needs to be playing 30+ minutes a game, he is currently our best guard.

They just need to run the offense which is basically designed to get the ball down low to Ware. If the shot is there 12 feet in and he has a one on one situation take it. If they collapse on Ware, Ware kicks it out to one of the shooters either Newman, Ready, Q, or Sword. If they are zoning us, look for ways to penetrate the zone drive to the basket and either dish or go for a layup and get fouled. We should really only be taking threes in the flow of the offense once Ware has touched it to draw the defense. With the new freedom of movement mandates, Sword and Newman should really be eating up opposing defenses with their ability to drive and get to the rim. Sword should be leading the league in FT attempts IMO if he is doing things right. Our defense has been improving quite a bit as well. If I was Howland, I would still mix in some zone with his man to man just to shake things up. I think by the end of the year this team will be fairly dangerous.

sleepy dawg
12-02-2015, 03:27 PM
My sources say he hasn't really been trying anymore because he has considered a possible transfer to Miami. And personally, I don't care if he goes since it's clear he's reached his ceiling and I don't settle for mediocrity.

QuadrupleOption
12-02-2015, 03:32 PM
It's obvious that as a program we've gone as far as we can under Howsbury. I'm not saying I want him fired, but I wouldn't mind it if he left for another job.******

Alldawg
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
It's obvious that as a program we've gone as far as we can under Howsbury. I'm not saying I want him fired, but I wouldn't mind it if he left for another job.******

Don't worry about helping him pack. I already spoke to him about it. I have it covered.

Rayburn8
12-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Fair, but consider our basketball marketing team advertised this past game for fans to "Come see a fully healthy Newman play" in which Newman proceeded to build a brick house.

Look, I understand the injury could be nagging him and limiting him, but I also am going to assume that the draft analysts on the 2 aforementioned sites do their due diligence on injury situations and both are dropping him out of a lottery pick. One site completely moving him to #28 in 2017 draft? How could they do that without some sort of information. This exact site had him at #16 just 2 weeks ago. Something is clearly going on.

Lol. You must not keep up with draft sites much.

I understand you have to look them up every now and then to push an agenda. But the guy has been playing with an injury. Once he is health you will all see the Newman everyone has been expecting. I mean he is still averaging over 11 points and went on a run of 15-17-14 point games.

tcdog70
12-02-2015, 03:48 PM
both Newman and Chicken need to do what Q is doing. Let the game come to them.They are both trying to do too much. The Chicken tried that windmill dunk and blew it. The Smartest player we have is Q. They need to drive to the hole and get fouled, with the way fouls are called they both should live at the free throw line.

But damn give Newman a chance. Im pretty sure He is the talent everyone thinks He is. it is way to early to be hammering Him.

CarolinaDawgs
12-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Malik is interviewing with Miami***

State82
12-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Ok, sleepy dawg and QuadrupleOption, stop. I'm trying to enjoy a cold beer and yall have made me spew it onto my mobile device. Just stop.

sleepy dawg
12-02-2015, 06:13 PM
nbadraft.net no longer has Malik in their 2016 mock drafts. He is now listed at #28 in the 2017 draft. For perspective, Malik was a top 5 pick as early as this past August.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Edit to add: Another respected source draftexpress had him at #3 in 2016 draft before the season started and now have moved him down to #18 which is outside of the lottery.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

One day, and I expect this day to be soon, it is going to click. And when it does, he will own all that step on the court with him.