PDA

View Full Version : When is Miami expected to name a HC?

msstate7
12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Ready to get this over either way

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 11:18 AM
I think that is either going to be Richt or Davis. That comes from Miami linked family.

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I would say the longer they drag things out the more cause of concern (or celebration depending on your POV) you have.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Maybe today according to people yesterday. If Richt is their guy but he wants to interview with Virgina first, which is to happen today, then they will wait to hear from him. We will see. Have heard all 4 guys with positive push at different times. Davis interview went well, Schiano has impressed members of the committee, Richt definitely has a positive, and some of the ones that wanted Mullen before still do and he may have smooth over the issues from before. Do think he may be trailing though.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I think that is either going to be Richt or Davis. That comes from Miami linked family.

There's only about 8 Miami fans that didn't play there, so it's probably pretty solid info.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Maybe today according to people yesterday. If Richt is their guy but he wants to interview with Virgina first, which is to happen today, then they will wait to hear from him. We will see. Have heard all 4 guys with positive push at different times. Davis interview went well, Schiano has impressed members of the committee, Richt definitely has a positive, and some of the ones that wanted Mullen before still do and he may have smooth over the issues from before. Do think he may be trailing though.

If you have to rank those guys in terms on their ability to interview, you have to think Mullen is going to be closer to the bottom than the top. Unless Mullen is "the guy" and #1 target at a school and they think they have to have him, he's likely going to turn most people off. It was a Miami booster that said Mullen thinks he invented football. I'm surprised he was even brought back up for the job to be honest, and is a strong indication that he's softened his initial stance with them, which also indicates that he's willing to compromise to leave. Take that how you want, but it's pretty obvious at this point we've got a major problem on our hands here.

DLGDawg
12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
There's only about 8 Miami fans that didn't play there, so it's probably pretty solid info.

BwahhahahHa.

BTW Good to meet u Saturday, Hack.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Davis will likely get it. Richt is the guy they want but I don't think he's gonna take it.

basedog
12-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Mullen is in Aberdeen this morning recruiting for fwiw.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 11:55 AM
If you have to rank those guys in terms on their ability to interview, you have to think Mullen is going to be closer to the bottom than the top. Unless Mullen is "the guy" and #1 target at a school and they think they have to have him, he's likely going to turn most people off. It was a Miami booster that said Mullen thinks he invented football. I'm surprised he was even brought back up for the job to be honest, and is a strong indication that he's softened his initial stance with them, which also indicates that he's willing to compromise to leave. Take that how you want, but it's pretty obvious at this point we've got a major problem on our hands here.

Could be. I do think that Mullen has mellowed some since the last time. Toned it down and some of that is just maturity. I think that is what the ones are talking about with his interview now compared to then. And it probably helped his case. I'm just not sure he is their first choice still. I think even though Richt is an alumni, he really fits Virginia well. I think that would really be the place for him but only he can decide that. And if he has the fire to still coach. Just an outsiders perspective.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Don't know why some (Liverpool) can't understand such a simple concept. Mullen wants out. The only question is whether or not he can get someone to hire him at a place he perceives has better opportunities and pay him what he thinks he's worth at the same time. I'm scared to death we'll wind up stuck with each other for another year, then we'll be right back here going through this same bullshit aGAIN in 12 months. He either needs to go or realize he can't do much better and commit to being here.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I still think Schiano is the dark horse there. He impressed them and has a good college track record and pro experience. Davis baggage, which includes Miami who don't need another issue, has to really weigh heavily on their decision. But interviewed really well, which he is very good at. He can sell. No doubt.

Homedawg
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Davis will likely get it. Richt is the guy they want but I don't think he's gonna take it.

Thought they had already made their hire?????????

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Don't know why some (Liverpool) can't understand such a simple concept. Mullen wants out. The only question is whether or not he can get someone to hire him at a place he perceives has better opportunities and pay him what he thinks he's worth at the same time. I'm scared to death we'll wind up stuck with each other for another year, then we'll be right back here going through this same bullshit aGAIN in 12 months. He either needs to go or realize he can't do much better and commit to being here.

"You must spread rep around"

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Thought they had already made their hire?????????

Who said that?

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I know this is about Miami, but here is name that a lower school at least needs to look at or as an OC somewhere. Jeff Tedford just resigned in the CFL. Really good offensive mind and had a good run at Cal. If I were Memphis and Odom is going to fall through, like is being speculated, I would give him call. If Odom pisses around and gets knocked out of Memphis waiting on Mizzou, call him for DC somewhere.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Just curious, did Mullen tell u folks that he wants out, or is this coming from C34 and other "sources"? Lol

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 12:24 PM
BwahhahahHa.

BTW Good to meet u Saturday, Hack.

You too man.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Just curious, did Mullen tell u folks that he wants out, or is this coming from C34 and other "sources"? Lol

He's had plenty of chances and a few days now to say the opposite.

Bubb Rubb
Who said that?

you did yesterday, if I recall correctly. "Miami has their guy and it ain't Richt."

Liverpooldawg

I haven't commented one way or another on what Mullen wants. I don't know the man and have never spoken to him. All I know about what he wants has been from the so called and in many cases self appointed experts on the internet and in the media. I think the only people who know what he wants are his family and possibly his agent. I HAVE said I think he is the man for our job. I DO try to portray what he does in the best light based on THAT. I'll say this, I have in the past talked with others about changing my situation. It didn't mean I wanted out, far from it. It just meant I was exploring options. I never changed. I didn't have to worry about 100 internet cowboys being interested in what I was doing though.

DancingRabbit
12-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm kinda doubting there was a real interview with Miami. Maybe he answered the phone and talked to somebody. Maybe his agent talked to somebody.

From last night:

"I'm not talking about any of that," Mullen said, via the Clarion Ledger. "Every year I come here, every single year, you guys ask me the same questions. I'm not going to waste my time commenting on rumors on the Internet."

"It's the same deal. The only year you haven't asked is my first year as the head coach. Same thing," Mullen said. "Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true.

"I think the year for us, every single year it's the exact same thing. A couple years ago I was here at dinner while I was signing a contract at Penn State. The next year I was in Colorado and four and five different cities in one day when I was sitting at this award."

chef dixon
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I haven't commented one way or another on what Mullen wants. I don't know the man and have never spoken to him. All I know about what he wants has been from the so called and in many cases self appointed experts on the internet and in the media. I think the only people who know what he wants are his family and possibly his agent. I HAVE said I think he is the man for our job. I DO try to portray what he does in the best light based on THAT. I'll say this, I have in the past talked with others about changing my situation. It didn't mean I wanted out, far from it. It just meant I was exploring options. I never changed. I didn't have to worry about 100 internet cowboys being interested in what I was doing though.

You're not going to win an argument with the radical butthurt stance.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM

And I still say that you can't compare the 2. Mullen is making 4+ million per year to lead a football program, with tens, if not hundreds of thousands of avid followers, plus 85 student athletes and many more prospective recruits. His success is dependent on his ability to relate and portray stability to that recruiting base, as well as donors and boosters who are required on to help move the program forward. When you "explore options" in the manner as has been done here, you negatively impact many of these variables critical to the success of the program. He is sending a message to everyone that he may be interested in going elsewhere, and that impacts recruit and booster commitment to the program long term.

I still don't, for the life of me, understand why people can't see this. It isn't even a debatable point. Mullen is harming the program right now. If he must "explore options," his agent can do it quietly, and he can squash any reports that are untrue in about ten seconds. If he interviews for another job (as he has with Miami), then that's a clear message that he wants out. We can't have a guy with one foot out the door leading our program right now.

TSUNami
12-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Dan just needs to shit (announce he is staying/contract extension) or get off the pot.

C222
12-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Who said that?

Ummmmmm. You?

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 12:42 PM

If it was just internet Cowboys we'd be fine. It's finebaum, and ESPN, and yahoo, and CBS, and the clarion ledger, and the sun herald, and every other nickel paper in the country along with the twitosphere that you need to worry about. But please, continue to attack the message board that first informed you that this was going to happen.

Saltydog
12-02-2015, 12:42 PM
nt

Pollodawg
12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
I honestly can't see any scenario where Mark Richt is available and someone would pick Mullen. Sorry. It is what it is.

Johnson85
12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
If it was just internet Cowboys we'd be fine. It's finebaum, and ESPN, and yahoo, and CBS, and the clarion ledger, and the sun herald, and every other nickel paper in the country along with the twitosphere that you need to worry about. But please, continue to attack the message board that first informed you that this was going to happen.

There are reporters at ESPN, and presumably yahoo and CBS that I would trust to verify before putting out rumors like that, but there are also some who would run with anything. The Mullen to Miami thing seems more credible than the others because a credible list of names has been put out and it's not a ridiculous move for Mullen to make, but I wouldn't even put money on that one being true. I just find it hard to believe Mullen's agent is incompetent and I find it hard to see why Mullen would want his name thrown around for a bunch of lateral and/or less prestigious jobs.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
I honestly can't see any scenario where Mark Richt is available and someone would pick Mullen. Sorry. It is what it is.

The biggest worry with Richt is can the AD determine if he has the fire to go right into another job or needs time off. 15 years at a place like Georgia can wear on you. To me that is his biggest hurdle to clear. Also, do they view the win percentage he had at Georgia greater than what Mullen has done here with its built in advantages. Honestly the percentages against that schools history says Mullen has been a little better. They both check a lot of boxes off that an AD will look at, and wins is not the only criteria. Richt is a really good guy and comes off very well. Has the better recognition. The negative is a history of guys who have done well at a big school don't necessarily pan out when forced out and take a step down in job. Some like Cutcliff have, but he had to step away for while first.

Homedawg
12-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Who said that?

Good grief man, you started an entire thread "Miami has made their hire". So I'd say you did. Absolute complete ******* *******.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I know this is about Miami, but here is name that a lower school at least needs to look at or as an OC somewhere. Jeff Tedford just resigned in the CFL. Really good offensive mind and had a good run at Cal. If I were Memphis and Odom is going to fall through, like is being speculated, I would give him call. If Odom pisses around and gets knocked out of Memphis waiting on Mizzou, call him for DC somewhere.

I agree completely

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 01:06 PM

Where did Les Miles wind up by the way?

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Good grief man, you started an entire thread "Miami has made their hire". So I'd say you did. Absolute complete ******* *******.

Seemed to me that you were insinuating that I had said Mullen was their hire and I never said anything close to that. Quite the opposite actually. Miami has their man and I'm pretty confident its Davis. They wanted Richt but Richt said no.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Ummmmmm. You?

No I said they had there guy.. I never said it was Mullen as was insinuated.

sandjunky
12-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Still brash...according to sources at Miami

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article47461460.html

NCDawg
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Seemed to me that you were insinuating that I had said Mullen was their hire and I never said anything close to that. Quite the opposite actually. Miami has their man and I'm pretty confident its Davis. They wanted Richt but Richt said no.

Davis is 64. They may consider him a little old for the job, plus he has baggage. I think it will be either Mullen or Schiano. Richt could have the job if he wants it, but I doubt that he wants it right now.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:29 PM
In local jobs, Steve Buckley has been hired by Jones County JC.

ETA. Les Keonnig may be coming back!! To UAB as OC.

Homedawg
12-02-2015, 01:31 PM

You need to learn how to read. I never uttered mullen's name. You said yesterday they had made their hire.......

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:39 PM
D J Durkin in at Maryland.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Where did Les Miles wind up by the way?

Les told the gridiron club he was out. That came from him. "Thangs change Mox."

Here's the LSU scoop. I haven't posted this because I don't care. I don't know how true it is either, but it sounds legit and comes from multiple people who are fairly well tied in.

LSU was set to hire Jimbo. Deal was made and agreed to in principle. Contract was drawn up. The President of the school nixed it the night before the game because it would require spending around $50 million on football while the school is filing bankruptcy. He said you can't fire a winning coach and spend that much to do it when the school is broke. Even though the money would come from the TAF, he didn't want that perception out there. Directed the AD to call Jimbo back and rework the deal, at which time Jimbo immediately walked. After that, they decided to keep Miles.

Apparently the AD and the President aren't on good terms right now because of this and I wouldn't be shocked to see one or the other leave soon.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Yep, things change.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:49 PM
The final three for Miami, supposedly, is Richt, Mullen, and Schiano. It's Richt's job if he wants it and they can come to an agreement on figures. Davis and Christobal have moved down the list. Changing quickly now it sounds like.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 02:11 PM
He's had plenty of chances and a few days now to say the opposite.

Not to mention you don't go crawling back to a school for an interview a second time after they trashed you the first time, i.e. "Mullen thinks he invented football." That's a pretty clear indicator of what he's thinking, regardless of what anyone says.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 02:19 PM
The final three for Miami, supposedly, is Richt, Mullen, and Schiano. It's Richt's job if he wants it and they can come to an agreement on figures. Davis and Christobal have moved down the list. Changing quickly now it sounds like.

Check PM.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Yep.

Mjoelner34
12-02-2015, 02:37 PM

Here's the LSU scoop. I haven't posted this because I don't care. I don't know how true it is either, but it sounds legit and comes from multiple people who are fairly well tied in.

LSU was set to hire Jimbo. Deal was made and agreed to in principle. Contract was drawn up. The President of the school nixed it the night before the game because it would require spending around $50 million on football while the school is filing bankruptcy. He said you can't fire a winning coach and spend that much to do it when the school is broke. Even though the money would come from the TAF, he didn't want that perception out there. Directed the AD to call Jimbo back and rework the deal, at which time Jimbo immediately walked. After that, they decided to keep Miles.

Apparently the AD and the President aren't on good terms right now because of this and I wouldn't be shocked to see one or the other leave soon.

I heard pretty much the same thing from an LSU fan at work and he even said pressure came from the governor's office because of the financial situation.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Expect Miami decision within 24 hrs. Interviews are complete. If it goes longer its Richt but Richt is likely headed to SC.

djaymsu5
12-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Why would Richt interview if he had intentions of telling them no?

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm seeing that the Miami people have been told that the players would be informed first who the coach is. A player's meeting has been called for 6pm tonight.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Why would Richt interview if he had intentions of telling them no?

Why do you think he had that intention to begin with? He may have or decided after the interview it wasn't the right fit. He may have interviewed as a curtesy to his former school.

defiantdog
12-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Alleva is not a good AD..... I'm not really sure why LSU hired him especially after how he handled the Duke lacrosse situation.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 03:29 PM
It looks like Richt turned them down.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 03:32 PM
It looks like Richt turned them down.

Yep. What it sounds like from earlier. Schiano or Mullen.

Statecoachingblows**
12-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Would dans ego let him take it if he only gets the offer based on Richt saying no?

scottycameron
12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Expect Miami decision within 24 hrs. Interviews are complete. If it goes longer its Richt but Richt is likely headed to SC.

Does Richt even play golf? On one hand you'd think he would, but he's got that little nerdy strain about him so I could see him not being a golfer also. I really don't know.

NCDawg
12-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Yep. What it sounds like from earlier. Schiano or Mullen.

Rutgers very much wants Schiano.

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Well, someone get down to GTR airport. We need some intelligence on planes coming and going or no action.

I have to admit. I am well aware of what Mullen has accomplished at MSU. I am very appreciative. However, after reading the "little bird" thread and Mullen willing to leave for a lateral Miami job.......I won't be heart broken.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Rutgers very much wants Schiano.

Rutgers may outpay Miami.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't think Miami can pay Mullen and make the facility improvements needed. If he leaves for Miami, it truly was an escape plan.

However, Mullen isn't even their top choice so I have a hard time seeing how they'd pay him the most out of all of those candidates.

PendingTransaction
12-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Mullen to Rutgers.

CarolinaDawgs
12-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Gon' Get Boy @ CDM

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Yeah, surely it is Schiano. I believe he was making $3mil at Tampa and $2 at Rutgers. Miami could offer him a lot less than Mullen AND not have to pay a buyout.

Political Hack
12-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Yeah, surely it is Schiano. I believe he was making $3mil at Tampa and $2 at Rutgers. Miami could offer him a lot less than Mullen AND not have to pay a buyout.

Pretty easy decision.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Pretty easy decision.

Don't forget Shiano chose Rutgers over them once before.

Statecoachingblows**
12-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Diaz's dad is a big attorney in Miami, former mayor?#6,

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/2/9837564/miami-football-coaching-search-uncle-luke

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_D%C3%ADaz_(Florida_politician)

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Not so fast....well....me. Looks like Richt is back in the picture.