PDA

View Full Version : Let's see if I have this straight....

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 09:24 AM
It's a good thing if our recruits have a bunch of other schools talking to them. If they are listening to a bunch of schools then that means they must be pretty good. On the the other hand, it's a bad thing if our coach has other schools talking too him and he listens to what they have to say. Is that right?

AROB44
12-02-2015, 09:41 AM
I think that sums it up pretty well.

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Actually, we want all of our recruits to have a lot of schools try to talk to them but they come out immediately and say they are not interested. MSU is the only place for them.

PendingTransaction
12-02-2015, 09:50 AM
It's a good thing if our recruits have a bunch of other schools talking to them. If they are listening to a bunch of schools then that means they must be pretty good. On the the other hand, it's a bad thing if our coach has other schools talking too him and he listens to what they have to say. Is that right?

Our coach basically requires our recruits to not talk to other schools...you know the 17-18 year olds who are trying to make the best decision for their lives. It clear that you condone Dan's bs and that's on you. But starting a thread to make that point?

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 09:53 AM
We do have that attitude in recruiting I think. I also think it hurts us some, esp with the bigger recruits. I'll also say this about coaches, if you adopt that attitude with them (unless you are a Top 5 destination job) you are going to hurt yourself. It almost seems like some would prefer to go back to our historical situation and the only thing that entered into the equation about whether our coach would return is whether or not we fired him for going 3-8 too many times. I kind of like the attention he gets. If he leaves then he leaves. If he doesn't then that's fantastic. I think he has done and is doing a great job here. It's the best job anyone other than Allyn McKeen back in the 30s and 40s has done here.

Coach34
12-02-2015, 10:00 AM
aGAIN- you dont see Bielema doing this...Freezus...

LC Dawg
12-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Are you saying that it is a good thing for our coach to hit the recruiting trail right after the regular season is over with the recruits he is talking to wondering if he is even going to be our coach next year?

Dawgfan61
12-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Freezus nearly went to Florida last year.

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Are you saying that it is a good thing for our coach to hit the recruiting trail right after the regular season is over with the recruits he is talking to wondering if he is even going to be our coach next year?

Yes.

defiantdog
Mullen will leave when he sees the best opportunity. Bielema and Freeze honestly believe they already have their best opportunity.

TrapGame
Dan's not an 18 yr old recruit. He's playing us like a fiddle. If he's so damn happy in Starkville his name would never seriously be mentioned for any head coaching position other than USC, Texas or ND.

TrapGame
12-02-2015, 10:10 AM

If you believe that line of shit I've got some investment schemes for you.

maroonmania
12-02-2015, 10:11 AM

Good grief, this isn't rocket science. Your head football coach IS the face of your football program that needs to attract recruits. If a college coach is constantly job shopping how attractive is he to commit the next 4 years of your life too AS a recruit? HS recruits are free agents that have no connection with a school yet. Now if you have a lot of your top players ALREADY AT YOUR SCHOOL constantly talking in the offseason with other schools about transferring that might be more equivalent.

TXDawg
12-02-2015, 10:12 AM

Here's the thing, though, There's no hard evidence that Mullen is doing anything. He's made two comments on the issue: 1) "I'm not talking about other jobs. I love the job I have." 2) "I'm not discussing internet rumors. We do it every year and I'm not doing it again."

What more do you want him to say? You've got fringe outlets with "sources" mentioning his name and everyone on here freaks out perpetuates the rumor that "Dan wants out". He's never done or said anything to even remotely suggest that he "wants out". Our fan base needs to calm the heck down and quit freaking out of stupid rumors.

1bigdawg
12-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Yes, he reportedly did that once. Coincidentally, we had our best recruiting class at the same time.

The problem is that Dan does it EVERY year.

Dawgface
12-02-2015, 10:14 AM

No its bad for our committed recruits and hired HC to be talking to other schools.

BB30
12-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I understand the frustration but there is literally nothing we as fans can do about it...Stricklin needs to grow a pair and tell him to quit doing this every year unless you are serious about taking one of the jobs that is open. I do think some of the rumors were spun out of control but I am sure he has talked to a few teams. It is something we just need to get used to. I also think the media perceives us as why would a coach want to stay in starkville. In our minds there is no difference in MSU and OM but in the media's mind there is a difference. They look at us on the level of Vanderbilt or Ky and for some reason OM is not thought to be on that same level. Hence the reason our coach's name pops up a lot. This will change eventually if we just keep winning.

basedog
12-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Bielema already jumped ship and has somewhat underachieved at Arkansas. Freezus was HC at mid level Ark State and his name was out in the market last year. Now it's a wait and see on the Ncaa.

All of this listening and talking to other schools, I have no problem with listening to what somewhat has to offer, BUT I do think his strategy with he and his agent is terrible. I can only imagine what Keenum and Scott are thinking with all the calls they are getting from donors.

I do think Mullen will have some damage control that he is gonna have to work on.

P.S. I talked to shannondawg, he told me along with another "$$$$$ Man" that you banning him for a week must be a "badge of honor". LMBO. Free shannondawg 34 but have one of your buddies take down the beat bama thing.

QuadrupleOption
12-02-2015, 10:25 AM
A bunch of our fans are like insecure junior high girls that are worried about being able to hold on to their boyfriends, because deep down inside they just KNOW they aren't good enough. So every time they see him talking to another girl they freak out and make a scene.

TrapGame
12-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Here's the thing, though, There's no hard evidence that Mullen is doing anything. He's made two comments on the issue: 1) "I'm not talking about other jobs. I love the job I have." 2) "I'm not discussing internet rumors. We do it every year and I'm not doing it again."

What more do you want him to say? You've got fringe outlets with "sources" mentioning his name and everyone on here freaks out perpetuates the rumor that "Dan wants out". He's never done or said anything to even remotely suggest that he "wants out". Our fan base needs to calm the heck down and quit freaking out of stupid rumors.

ESPN confirmed he interviewed with Miami. So, yeah, he is doing something. And that dog and pony PR bullshit he gave last night was pitiful. A stern response to the effect of I'm not interviewing and I will be the coach at MSU next football season was warranted not a bunch verbal acrobatics and blaming the internet. The internet didn't set up his Miami interview, he and his agent did.

TrapGame
12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
A bunch of our fans are like insecure junior high girls that are worried about being able to hold on to their boyfriends, because deep down inside they just KNOW they aren't good enough. So every time they see him talking to another girl they freak out and make a scene.

There's talking to a boy and then there's getting caught out Friday night in his car when she told you she was babysitting. But, that's ok they were just "talking".

TXDawg
12-02-2015, 10:49 AM
ESPN confirmed he interviewed with Miami. So, yeah, he is doing something. And that dog and pony PR bullshit he gave last night was pitiful. A stern response to the effect of I'm not interviewing and I will be the coach at MSU next football season was warranted not a bunch verbal acrobatics and blaming the internet. The internet didn't set up his Miami interview, he and his agent did.

Did ESPN really confirm it, or just re-report the statement from the Orlando reporter?

His earlier comment "I love my job" is pretty stern. Should he really be expected to address every internet rumor out there? He's already addressed it.

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Did ESPN really confirm it, or just re-report the statement from the Orlando reporter?

His earlier comment "I love my job" is pretty stern. Should he really be expected to address every internet rumor out there? He's already addressed it.

There's a difference in loving your job and not looking to upgrade. Someone playing arena league football may love their job but if they were offered a spot on an NFL team I doubt they would stay in arena.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Again, Freeze is untouchable right now due to NCAA stuff. He DID do it last year though. Bielema runs an offense that is perceived as old fashioned. Those two aren't really play. Try again.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Yes.

WE are wondering. You don't know what he is telling recruits.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 11:00 AM
If you believe that line of shit I've got some investment schemes for you.

I didn't believe it but his agent did put it out there.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Most are like that. Some are like the girl that doesn't want to keep a boy friend very long but won't do the breaking up themselves. Therefore they go the drama queen route to try and make the breakup happen if they see him talking.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 11:09 AM

This

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 11:36 AM

No, he had his agent extort Northern Miss for more money. I assure you, he was never on Florida's radar. He played BeeYork like a fiddle.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Dumb thread of the day sponsored by LiverpoolJustDontGetIt.com

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 11:49 AM
No, he had his agent extort Northern Miss for more money. I assure you, he was never on Florida's radar. He played BeeYork like a fiddle.

Exactly. And if the no poaching rule is still in play for football he had no chance anyway because of the league office. There was an UNM idiot tweeting I think last night how Freeze was their #1 guy according to "sources". Well according to several in the UNM guys they knew it was nothing but a play by the agent. But they had to play the game just the same because they needed him to appear on par with the rest of the west coaches. We complain about coaches salaries, ours included, but there is a perception that if you guy is obviously the lowest paid coach then the school doesn't think highly of your ability or they would pay a salary that's on par with the bulk of the division. Unfortunately our division is skewed.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Dumb thread of the day sponsored by LiverpoolJustDontGetIt.com

Actually I do "get it.' I just don't AGREE with it. If you cant understand the difference then I can't help you.

scottycameron
12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Actually I do "get it.' I just don't AGREE with it. If you cant understand the difference then I can't help you.

He's right, it was a dumb thread, with a dumb question leading off. Dan is not a recruit. He is on the team and has been on it for a while. He's not an interviewee being recruited. If you (for some reason?) need to make an analogy to kids, then Dan would be a player on the team. Do you want your active players talking to other schools about transferring? Hell, we had a fit when Freze said he talks to C. Jones on the phone.
If you want to make a dumb comparison at least get the right one.

Tripp McNeely
12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Again, Freeze is untouchable right now due to NCAA stuff. He DID do it last year though. Bielema runs an offense that is perceived as old fashioned. Those two aren't really play. Try again.

Gotta agree with this...why would anybody wanna interview those two humps?

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2015, 12:59 PM

No he didn't.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Winning coaches are ALWAYS recruits. That's the way you have to look at it because that's the way it is.

preachermatt83
12-02-2015, 01:01 PM
He's right, it was a dumb thread, with a dumb question leading off. Dan is not a recruit. He is on the team and has been on it for a while. He's not an interviewee being recruited. If you (for some reason?) need to make an analogy to kids, then Dan would be a player on the team. Do you want your active players talking to other schools about transferring? Hell, we had a fit when Freze said he talks to C. Jones on the phone.
If you want to make a dumb comparison at least get the right one.

Truth!

dawg27
12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
There's a difference in loving your job and not looking to upgrade. Someone playing arena league football may love their job but if they were offered a spot on an NFL team I doubt they would stay in arena.

Does any body have solid proof that he interviewed,or knows for a fact that he wants out.

sleepy dawg
12-02-2015, 04:49 PM

What's sad is, all the loonies around here will not understand the contradiction here. Logic is irrelevant to these lunatics.

Bucky Dog
12-02-2015, 05:30 PM

I don't get your example. Bielema has been at Arky 2 years and has a .500 record and has struggled. Dan has proven to be a coach to get a program to the top and was COTY last year and is in year 7. Freeze did it last year with FL after two years at OM and as others have said, he has been questioned on coaching ability and development of talent, as well as been questioned in the way he has recruited.