PDA

View Full Version : Y'all need to read Rick Cleveland's article...

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 09:08 AM
today.

Lloyd Christmas
12-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Cool link.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't have a link. I read it in some old fashioned thing called a newspaper. I'm sure it's on the Daily Journal website.

SDDawg
12-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I think this is the one he's referring to: http://www.meridianstar.com/sports/cleveland-column-how-would-coaching-legends-have-fared-today/article_a24985d4-98b7-11e5-bc3e-aba5a58dba47.html

SDDawg
12-02-2015, 09:50 AM
That column makes a pretty reasonable case that firing Richt was a really, really bad move. I think Richt's problem was losing a game or two each of the past seasons that they should have been able to win, but heck that can happen anywhere (Bama for example with OM). Good column.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 09:55 AM
That's the one.

PassInterference
12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Great article. Yesterday's legends with today's expectations would have been fired before they got their era started.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2015, 10:51 AM
That column makes a pretty reasonable case that firing Richt was a really, really bad move. I think Richt's problem was losing a game or two each of the past seasons that they should have been able to win, but heck that can happen anywhere (Bama for example with OM). Good column.
So is getting "Saban'd" the new "Croom'd"? Think about it - Miles, Richt, Mullen, all catching huge heat for getting manhandled by one of the greatest coaches of the past 40 years. He has 2 seasons at Bama where they have lost more than 1 regular season game. That's 7 one loss seasons. it's insane.

Maroonthirteen
12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Another article along those same lines.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-nick-saban-s-dominance-impacted-coaching-futures-of-mark-richt--les-miles-213202242.html

SDDawg
12-02-2015, 10:56 AM
So is getting "Saban'd" the new "Croom'd"? Think about it - Miles, Richt, Mullen, all catching huge heat for getting manhandled by one of the greatest coaches of the past 40 years. He has 2 seasons at Bama where they have lost more than 1 regular season game. That's 7 one loss seasons. it's insane.

I used to be mad at Saban, but I can't be anymore. He's not perfect, but he's as close as it gets. And he does it in all phases of the game with many different kinds of players. What's consistent is that their line play and RBs are always really solid. What they've accomplished the past 2 years with the erratic QB play they've had is really impressive to me. I know it's not popular opinion, but that's just how I see it. To put pressure on these other guys because they don't live up to that standard (not happening at MSU btw, but for others) is just a bit unrealistic in my view.

gtowndawg
12-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I used to be mad at Saban, but I can't be anymore. He's not perfect, but he's as close as it gets. And he does it in all phases of the game with many different kinds of players. What's consistent is that their line play and RBs are always really solid. What they've accomplished the past 2 years with the erratic QB play they've had is really impressive to me. I know it's not popular opinion, but that's just how I see it. To put pressure on these other guys because they don't live up to that standard (not happening at MSU btw, but for others) is just a bit unrealistic in my view.

Completely agree. I said after the Bama game the only way for us to compete with Bama is for Saban to leave. It will be impossible for them to maintain what he does, I don't care who the coach is. They will take a step backwards. It might not be a huge step backwards, but it will be backwards none the less.

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I figured this was the Cleveland kiss of death article for Dan.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I figured this was the Cleveland kiss of death article for Dan.

Oh, I think it was sort of aimed at us, at least some of our more vocal fringe.

SDDawg
12-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Oh, I think it was sort of aimed at us, at least some of our more vocal fringe.

No doubt about it. He knows who the readers are... they're not in Athens.

DLGDawg
12-02-2015, 11:42 AM
"What's consistent is that their line play and RBs are always really solid"

And REALLY good defense