Big4Dawg
12-01-2015, 09:12 PM
RT @MikeBBonner: Mullen said he would not comment on other job openings

He gone

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 09:13 PM

He gone

Next comment was that he'd talk to Scott to see if he'd have him back next year. Ummm... hold up shooter.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
Maybe he was confused and thought it was an injury question

BrunswickDawg
Bonner added:
I asked if he plans on being the coach of Mississippi State next year, Mullen said he has to talk with Stricklin if he'll have him back.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 09:15 PM

He gone

Even if he is gone I hope Strick has someone lined up and ready to go. We will have some money freed up with the buy out.

Blackout
12-01-2015, 09:15 PM
No comment??? lol I'd rather him go pinewood box than no comment!

Big4Dawg
12-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Why doesn't he just say he plans to coach at Mississippi State next year and he's happy?

mstatefan91
12-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Ok so he's just being snarky which is typical Dan

RC3
12-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Why doesn't he just say he plans to coach at Mississippi State next year and he's happy?doesnt seem real difficult. I've begun to think that Dan just may like his name always coming up for these openings. It's been rinse and repeat his entire tenure. He has never once done anything to dispel speculation that he may be leaving. And we wonder why we consistently recruit in the 30s

deltadawg99
12-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm tired of this shit. We do this song and dance with Mullen every year.

I hope that he stays, but if he doesn't want to be here than good riddance. I've always thought that it hurts us in recruiting when every offseason the head coach is linked to every open coaching job.

I don't find it very encouraging that last week he said that he loved his job and now he is saying no comment. Clearly he's looking elsewhere or he would have squashed the rumors.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 09:21 PM

He gone

He has said the same thing every single year. This may be the year but you can't tell from that comment.

Homedawg
12-01-2015, 09:21 PM

He gone

What did you expect him to say? He might leave? He's going to leave? He interviewed but didn't like it? He turned it down? What can he really say that clams you? And, if it's I'm going to be the coach next year at Msu, next week that might be a lie.

preachermatt83
12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Haha!! "No comment" haha.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
doesnt seem real difficult. I've begun to think that Dan just may like his name always coming up for these openings. It's been rinse and repeat his entire tenure. He has never once done anything to dispel speculation that he may be leaving. And we wonder why we consistently recruit in the 30s

We average recruiting in the mid 20's. Not saying we shouldn't do better but we don't consistantly recruit in the 30's.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm tired of this shit. We do this song and dance with Mullen every year.

I hope that he stays, but if he doesn't want to be here than good riddance. I've always thought that it hurts us in recruiting when every offseason the head coach is linked to every open coaching job.

I don't find it very encouraging that last week he said that he loved his job and now he is saying no comment. Clearly he's looking elsewhere or he would have squashed the rumors.

I feel the same way. Also I have given out all he reps I can. I will give you one once my time is up. Good post.

TSUNami
12-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Bonner added:
I asked if he plans on being the coach of Mississippi State next year, Mullen said he has to talk with Stricklin if he'll have him back.

That seems a lot more like Dan is joking around.

C222
12-01-2015, 09:24 PM
He's never said "No comment." He normally says he's happy here and his name getting brought up for jobs is a good thing.

BossDawg
12-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Sounds like Mullen talked to several people and had some prospective job/s lined up only to fall through.....now he's got nowhere to go.

RC3
12-01-2015, 09:25 PM
We average recruiting in the mid 20's. Not saying we shouldn't do better but we don't consistantly recruit in the 30's. after we finish in the 50s this year, we will probably be averaged in the 30s. And tbh, 20s won't even cut it in the west. It's become painfully obvious. Dan for the most part does a good job beating teams he is more talented than. We aren't consitently stepping on the same field as bama, lsu and even ole miss right now from a talent standpoint. And until we do, we ain't going to Atlanta

runwildjerious
12-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1m1 minute ago
Mullen:2/2: "Same thing. Just because it’s on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true."

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 2m2 minutes ago
Dan Wolken Retweeted Big Boss Man
Schiano, Mullen, Butch Davis and maybe Richt are the names getting traction right now

Within minutes of one another these were tweeted. We just need a resolution so we can move forward one way or another. I would love for him to stay (minus Hev) but at this point whatever.

JohnnyQuid
12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
He seemed more annoyed than anything that these "journalists" listen to retards on the internet and ask same dumb shit every year. why don't these slap dicks go pester hugh every year bout dumb shit like this over and over.

RC3
12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
He will not give a definitive statement. He never has and it has to be used against us in recruiting. He needs to wise up a little bit

Political Hack
12-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Sounds like Mullen talked to several people and had some prospective job/s lined up only to fall through.....now he's got nowhere to go.

That's what it sounded like to me too. I don't know if that's the case, but it did sort of sound that way.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 09:30 PM
after we finish in the 50s this year, we will probably be averaged in the 30s. And tbh, 20s won't even cut it in the west. It's become painfully obvious. Dan for the most part does a good job beating teams he is more talented than. We aren't consitently stepping on the same field as bama, lsu and even ole miss right now from a talent standpoint. And until we do, we ain't going to Atlanta

Let's see and recalculate at the end. The point still stands you shot off a number that wasn't correct and I didn't say anything about our talent competing to go to Atlanta. Although LSU was close this year and we did beat them last year.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1m1 minute ago
If DM will be MSU's coach nxt yr "I haven’t met w/Scott if he’s going to keep me. I might be. We haven't had our end of the yr meeting yet."

GreenheadDawg
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
He will not give a definitive statement. He never has and it has to be used against us in recruiting. He needs to wise up a little bit

He's too ****ing arrogant for that. He can't see the Forest for the trees.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 09:32 PM

Bonner said he said it as a joke.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I think the best thing Mullen can do is realize that he and MSU are stuck together unless he sucks at his job, wins a championship, or accepts a demotion in the industry.

With Georgia making a ridiculously awful hire in Kirby Smart, Richt or Schiano likely getting the Miami job, & Herman waiting for Strong to leave Texas, Mullen really has nowhere to go.

By far his best move at this point is to suck it up, recommit himself, & go whip some ass.

RC3
12-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Let's see and recalculate at the end. The point still stands you shot off a number that wasn't correct and I didn't say anything about our talent competing to go to Atlanta. Although LSU was close this year and we did beat them last year.

Fair enough. Regardless. Recruiting has been a problem. Would
Love to see what he could do with a team of four and five stars

mstatefan91
Dan Mullen is out there trolling everybody including himself.

BrunswickDawg
Michael Bonner (@MikeBBonner)
12/1/15, 9:25 PM
"It?s not at all (difficult). Because every single year you guys ask me the exact same question. So every single year, the same result." -DM

Man does have a point

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2015, 09:41 PM
"It?s not at all (difficult). Because every single year you guys ask me the exact same question. So every single year, the same result." -DM

Man does have a point

He does have a point, but this wasn't the time to share that point.

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Well maybe if you'd stop doing the same shit every year, they'd stop asking the same questions. Either commit to being here or get the **** out. This shit has worn thin and is costing us wins by costing us recruits. Shit or get off the pot.

deltadawg99
12-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Man does have a point

Then he needs to tell his agent to quit linking his name to every job through the media.

RC3
12-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Well maybe if you'd stop doing the same shit every year, they'd stop asking the same questions. Either commit to being here or get the **** out. This shit has worn thin and is costing us wins by costing us recruits. Shit or get off the pot.

I'm
Getting incredibly frustrated with it. It has to be that he just likes his name in the carousel

deadheaddawg
12-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Anyone got a year by year list of ******* class rankings?

Coach34
12-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Then he needs to tell his agent to quit linking his name to every job through the media.

exactly. Bielema and Freezus arent having this problem.

Bubb Rubb
12-01-2015, 09:47 PM

Man does have a point

Well then squash it. Don't feed the rumor. He has no point here. He has control of the situation and can keep this from happening if this is where he wants to be.

With every passing day I'm getting more tired of his shit, honestly.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Some of you just refuse to face the FACT that a winning MSU football coach, for now, is going to be linked with LOT of open jobs. It doesn't matter who he is. Dan may be looking, I don't know, but we DO see this crap every year. The main difference this year from what I can see has been that certain MSU internet folks with an agenda have been talking it up on our boards. They have kept every rumor hot and treated them as gospel.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Freeze has similar problems to Hud.

MagicDawg
12-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I can only reason that
- If he and Scott both plan for Dan to stay, and
- Both of them seem fine with letting his name be leaked every year (Dan lets it happen, Scott doesn't seem to try to stop it),
then
- They must think it's beneficial for Dan's and Mississippi State's name to be included in these conversations.

Whether we think Dan's work actually merits him being considered or not, do Dan & Scott think it elevates our perception as a national brand for our coach to always be considered "good enough" to be a target for poaching by others? I'm not saying they're right, but it's a possible explanation for why this pantomime gets played out every year.

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2015, 09:57 PM

Bingo. If Mullen wasn't looking, this shit wouldn't be happening. His agent works for him, not the other way around.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I can only reason that
- If he and Scott both plan for Dan to stay, and
- Both of them seem fine with letting his name be leaked every year (Dan lets it happen, Scott doesn't seem to try to stop it),
then
- They must think it's beneficial for Dan's and Mississippi State's name to be included in these conversations.

Whether we think Dan's work actually merits him being considered or not, do Dan & Scott think it elevates our perception as a national brand for our coach to always be considered "good enough" to be a target for poaching by others? I'm not saying they're right, but it's a possible explanation for why this pantomime gets played out every year.

Come on mane! You can't really believe this

Goldendawg
12-01-2015, 09:59 PM
When he ends up staying, Dan plus Hev = Croom plus McCorvey, except I believe Dan would never let him go. If he stays and wants to show something much needed, go to the bowl game to win. We didn't look ready for Northwestern or Ga Tech.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Boy, I sure do miss the Croom days when we never had to hear our coach's name brought up for openings ..............................oh snap. Never mind.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2015, 10:01 PM
When he ends up staying, Dan plus Hev = Croom plus McCorvey, .

Dude, seriously?

MagicDawg
12-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Nope, I don't believe it, and I surely don't think it's smart.

Just trying to figure out reasons they might be willing to let this stuff ride every year. Scott is a branding guy. Maybe someone convinced him it's good?

Probably not, just thought it was an interesting conjecture.

Goldendawg
12-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes, I remember 45-0, and "I didn't see that coming". I just want to see this soap opera not repeated every year and a renewed effort for better recruiting and improved coaching with relentless effort. Hail State.

IMissJack
12-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Fair enough. Regardless. Recruiting has been a problem. Would
Love to see what he could do with a team of four and five stars

This is what I don't get. He has to be smart enough to realize he only hurts his ability to recruit with this crap. Why make your job harder if you don't have to? Making $4.2 Million in Starkville, MS is not a bad gig, make the best of it, then you can choose any job you want. If I were interviewing Mullen, it would be a red flag to me that his recruiting classes after being Number 1 for the first time in forever, haven't really improved.

was21
12-01-2015, 10:11 PM
That's *******' off the wall sense of humor right there...some get it some don't

maroonmania
12-01-2015, 10:12 PM

Believe Mullen wants his ego fed even at the cost of undercutting his own recruiting results.

Noxdog
12-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Boy, I sure do miss the Croom days when we never had to hear our coach's name brought up for openings ..............................oh snap. Never mind.

HaHa. Very true. Damn drama bitches up in here.

Dawgface
12-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I'll always pull for the team but I'm done with him. We have paid him well, but he puts us through this crap every year. Screw his arrogant ass.

TSUNami
12-01-2015, 10:22 PM
I've started noticing that he only keeps up the Dan of the regular season for a couple weeks after the Egg Bowl until he gets his inevitable raise/extension. Then he amps it back up again for SEC Media days. Like he's crack and the athletic department can only last so long without a fix

Blackout
12-01-2015, 10:24 PM
We really need the Hurricanes to pull the trigger here

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Some of you just refuse to face the FACT that a winning MSU football coach, for now, is going to be linked with LOT of open jobs. It doesn't matter who he is. Dan may be looking, I don't know, but we DO see this crap every year. The main difference this year from what I can see has been that certain MSU internet folks with an agenda have been talking it up on our boards. They have kept every rumor hot and treated them as gospel.

Name one other current coach in the SEC that is as linked to as many jobs as Dan. Saban and Les Miles squashed rumors to Texas and Michigan respectively. Dan smarts off to Bonner about it.

mstatefan91
12-01-2015, 10:26 PM
I've started noticing that he only keeps up the Dan of the regular season for a couple weeks after the Egg Bowl until he gets his inevitable raise/extension. Then he amps it back up again for SEC Media days. Like he's crack and the athletic department can only last so long without a fix

He's a bit of a dick during the season and a nice guy in the off season. Is that what you're saying? Cause it so, I agree.

GreenheadDawg
12-01-2015, 10:26 PM
I'll always pull for the team but I'm done with him. We have paid him well, but he puts us through this crap every year. Screw his arrogant ass.

My sentiments exactly.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:28 PM
We really need the Hurricanes to pull the trigger here

Or somebody. The dominos will fall over the next week and a half. I'm thinking it won't take very long for the Georgia job to be filled- after that is when things should heat up on the coaching carousel.

Right now most programs are in an interviewing mode.

We just have to be patient and wait it out and as I have said several times, I have a feeling that this will most likely resolve itself for the better. No inside information- just my opinion.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Name one other current coach in the SEC that is as linked to as many jobs as Dan. Saban and Les Miles squashed rumors to Texas and Michigan respectively. Dan smarts off to Bonner about it.

I actually believe Miles squished it only because of when it was reported. He was headed to Michigan but to come out right then before the SEC title game, he had to back out to save the game and a possible national title.

Eta. I know he is not a current coach but Franklin was linked to several jobs his last two years and it took until Jan to leave for Penn St. This is a much better situation then having to find a coach a month out from signing day.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Or somebody. The dominos will fall over the next week and a half. I'm thinking it won't take very long for the Georgia job to be filled- after that is when things should heat up on the coaching carousel.

Right now most programs are in an interviewing mode.

We just have to be patient and wait it out and as I have said several times, I have a feeling that this will most likely resolve itself for the better. No inside information- just my opinion.

Smart has already filled the Georgia job.

Todd4State

I will admit that if Dan returns, I will without a doubt go to fewer football games than I did this year. Yes, MSU will get my money- but they may not get me in my seat.

I spend too much money to watch a coach and a program show no life in big games.

Holydawg

This is strictly about the media's perception of our program. They can't see how in the heck Dan stays, yet he does. I believe he turned down the Miami job once and maybe others. I liked his answers. They made me laugh.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I actually believe Miles squished it only because of when it was reported. He was headed to Michigan but to come out right then before the SEC title game, he had to back out to save the game and a possible national title.

And he handled it properly. He didn't play coy and let things go on like Dan is doing. And highly doubt your interpretation of why Miles didn't go to Michigan.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Smart has already filled the Georgia job.

That's a good thing for us. That's the first domino that we need to fall one way or the other.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:35 PM
This is strictly about the media's perception of our program. They can't see how in the heck Dan stays, yet he does. I believe he turned down the Miami job once and maybe others. I liked his answers. They made me laugh.

I'm pretty sure you are correct that he turned down Miami once. I don't think it's media perception however. I think it's Dan putting himself out there. It's very easy to squash rumors- and Dan hasn't done so yet.

smootness
12-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Why the heck would Bielema's name be thrown out for these jobs?

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Why the heck would Bielema's name be thrown out for these jobs?

He has done a good job at Arkansas- a program that was a mess when Petrino left.

maroonmania
12-01-2015, 10:40 PM

Look, the situation is what it is, and Mullen evidently gets his jollies from it but this situation is in no way good for the stability of our program nor does it do anything but hurt our recruiting. For example, if you are Derrick Brown are you seriously going to consider MSU with Mullen being seemingly this uncommitted to our program. There are plenty of coaches with jobs that interview other places and actually take jobs (see Bieleman leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas) that don't let the information get out for the media to make a public spectacle of things.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 10:42 PM
And he handled it properly. He didn't play coy and let things go on like Dan is doing. And highly doubt your interpretation of why Miles didn't go to Michigan.

Whatever, a lot of Michigan people have said that Miles had agreed and hate Herbie even more for leaking it out. And he definitely played coy and back channeled the talks so no one would find out hopefully. Rather he agreed to the job or not. I don't really blame him, it how so so many of these deals go down. Heck you talk about Saban, he most definitely lied to the media and the Dolphins front office before going to Bama. Freaking Petrino, not once but twice that snake in the grass played around with teams. And as far as loyalty to schools he was involved with the boosters trying to get rid of Tubberville behind Tubbs back at Auburn. It just got out and Tubbs was able to get control of the situation. So that is a reverse situation that was bad press and got out.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Whatever, a lot of Michigan people have said that Miles had agreed and hate Herbie even more for leaking it out. And he definitely played coy and back channeled the talks so no one would find out hopefully. Rather he agreed to the job or not. I don't really blame him, it how so so many of these deals go down. Heck you talk about Saban, he most definitely lied to the media and the Dolphins front office before going to Bama. Freaking Petrino, not once but twice that snake in the grass played around with teams. And as far as loyalty to schools he was involved with the boosters trying to get rid of Tubberville behind Tubbs back at Auburn. It just got out and Tubbs was able to get control of the situation. So that is a reverse situation that was bad press and got out.

It doesn't make any sense because if Miles wanted to go to Michigan, he would have done so. No matter what leaked. It really doesn't matter because when it was time he definitively squashed the rumor. Something Dan has yet to do. And it's very simple to do.

Saban turned Alabama down until they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse- which is why coaching salaries have reached new levels of ridiculous. Saban I believe genuinely wanted to coach in the NFL. If he didn't, he wouldn't have left LSU in the first place. Don't forget that Saban was a NFL assistant for a few years.

Petrino is a sleaze ball.

preachermatt83
12-01-2015, 10:55 PM

WMD nails it again. Been on a roll lately.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 10:56 PM

I agree. He's knocking it out of the park right now.

smootness
12-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Look, the situation is what it is, and Mullen evidently gets his jollies from it but this situation is in no way good for the stability of our program nor does it do anything but hurt our recruiting. For example, if you are Derrick Brown are you seriously going to consider MSU with Mullen being seemingly this uncommitted to our program. There are plenty of coaches with jobs that interview other places and actually take jobs (see Bieleman leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas) that don't let the information get out for the media to make a public spectacle of things.

We're not getting Derrick Brown either way.

smootness
12-01-2015, 10:58 PM
He has done a good job at Arkansas- a program that was a mess when Petrino left.

He's done a decent job, and they're about to take a step back next year. I just don't know why any legit job would come after him. So maybe that's why his name isn't being thrown around.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 11:03 PM
He's done a decent job, and they're about to take a step back next year. I just don't know why any legit job would come after him. So maybe that's why his name isn't being thrown around.

We'll see about that. He was good enough for Wisconsin to want him at one point in time obviously.

I just think it's because he (his agent) isn't putting himself out there.

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 11:04 PM
It doesn't make any sense because if Miles wanted to go to Michigan, he would have done so. No matter what leaked. It really doesn't matter because when it was time he definitively squashed the rumor. Something Dan has yet to do. And it's very simple to do.

Saban turned Alabama down until they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse- which is why coaching salaries have reached new levels of ridiculous. Saban I believe genuinely wanted to coach in the NFL. If he didn't, he wouldn't have left LSU in the first place. Don't forget that Saban was a NFL assistant for a few years.

Petrino is a sleaze ball.

Sure Miles had to squish it, it came out like the day of the SEC title game in 2007. He had no choice but to deny going that day. After the won the title and Missouri and West Virginia (#1 & #2 ranked teams) both loss putting LSU in the title game against OSU. He couldn't very well decide to leave with the national title on the line. If they had loss or not back door into the title game, he was gone. At least from the MI side, they had a deal. And it was done in secret before the SEC game.

You are right on why Saban left, still didn't change the fact that he completely denied even wanting to go to the media and front office. Then he left and it made him a liar. Don't care the reason, but he had multiple conversations behind the scenes and it leaked out, he denied it and then left a few days or week later.

And yes, Peterino is a sleeze ball.

smootness
12-01-2015, 11:07 PM
We'll see about that. He was good enough for Wisconsin to want him at one point in time obviously.

I just think it's because he (his agent) isn't putting himself out there.

But that's a baseless assumption. Sure it's possible, but it's equally possible he's just not that attractive a candidate right now. He hasn't had tons of success at Arkansas, and I don't see any way he doesn't take a step back with most of his offense leaving, including the QB that carried them this year.

It just makes no sense to say, "The MSU coach who tok them to #1 last year, developed a Heisman candidate QB, and has won 18 games the last 2 years in the SEC West is being mentioned. So why isn't the guy who has won 17 games the last 3 years at Arkansas, while not finishing in the top 25 in any of those seasons, also being mentioned? Agents."

It's not a comparison.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Sure Miles had to squish it, it came out like the day of the SEC title game in 2007. He had no choice but to deny going that day. After the won the title and Missouri and West Virginia (#1 & #2 ranked teams) both loss putting LSU in the title game against OSU. He couldn't very well decide to leave with the national title on the line. If they had loss or not back door into the title game, he was gone. At least from the MI side, they had a deal. And it was done in secret before the SEC game.

You are right on why Saban left, still didn't change the fact that he completely denied even wanting to go to the media and front office. Then he left and it made him a liar. Don't care the reason, but he had multiple conversations behind the scenes and it leaked out, he denied it and then left a few days or week later.

And yes, Peterino is a sleeze ball.

We're not going to agree that Miles "had to squish" the rumors. He just simply didn't. He wasn't being held hostage by LSU- shoot they want to fire him every year practically. He could have very well played the "this will be my last year at LSU" card and based on their game against A&M it probably would have resulted in a win as well.

It sounds to me like you only have the Michigan side of things- which in their case this sounds to be more spin than anything.

maroonmania
12-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Didn't say we were, just an example of any top recruit that we might be trying to make headway with.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 11:14 PM
But that's a baseless assumption. Sure it's possible, but it's equally possible he's just not that attractive a candidate right now. He hasn't had tons of success at Arkansas, and I don't see any way he doesn't take a step back with most of his offense leaving, including the QB that carried them this year.

It just makes no sense to say, "The MSU coach who tok them to #1 last year, developed a Heisman candidate QB, and has won 18 games the last 2 years in the SEC West is being mentioned. So why isn't the guy who has won 17 games the last 3 years at Arkansas, while not finishing in the top 25 in any of those seasons, also being mentioned? Agents."

It's not a comparison.

Why isn't Freeze being mentioned right now then? He loses a ton as well and won more game this year than Dan or Bielema and beat Alabama and LSU?

Meanwhile Dan is being mentioned for just about every job- and he didn't have a great year at all.

ScottH
12-01-2015, 11:18 PM

Meanwhile an Under Armor AA from Maryland I think is Tweeting out photos of him and Chris Kiffin tonight.

smootness
12-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Why isn't Freeze being mentioned right now then? He loses a ton as well and won more game this year than Dan or Bielema and beat Alabama and LSU?

Meanwhile Dan is being mentioned for just about every job- and he didn't have a great year at all.

Freeze is a much better comparison, though perhaps it's true that the NCAA stuff is currently scaring teams off. My issue was with including Bielema; it made no sense.

1MidsouthDawg
12-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Yes, he was joking to get a rise out of a reporter he dislikes greatly and a newspaper he likes even less.

CDM is having fun at reporters expense since his idea of journalism is to copy and paste random fans tweeter responses.
He has answered this question about 100 times saying he is happy at STATE, his wife is happy and his kids were born in Starkville.

His agent is finding out what Fair Market Value is for his client. Chill people, welcome to world of "BIG TIME" CFB.

Go DAWGs and HAILSTATE!!!

Really Clark?
12-01-2015, 11:27 PM
We're not going to agree that Miles "had to squish" the rumors. He just simply didn't. He wasn't being held hostage by LSU- shoot they want to fire him every year practically. He could have very well played the "this will be my last year at LSU" card and based on their game against A&M it probably would have resulted in a win as well.

It sounds to me like you only have the Michigan side of things- which in their case this sounds to be more spin than anything.

This was 2007, he was just in his third year there. Believe what you want but he was gone and numerous people had got the info. Herbie just decided to break the story on the day of the SEC title game. He had no choice to squish it or lose the team and possibly lose the game. Which would have been a horrible decision to come out and say that he had accepted the job or even a no comment wouldn't fly. Believe what you want but MI had to scramble and it was 2 weeks or so later when they hired Rich Rod, who many of the boosters didn't want to begin with. Partially because they had Miles wrapped up.

Bubb Rubb
12-01-2015, 11:31 PM
Yes, he was joking to get a rise out of a reporter he dislikes greatly and a newspaper he likes even less.

CDM is having fun at reporters expense since his idea of journalism is to copy and paste random fans tweeter responses.
He has answered this question about 100 times saying he is happy at STATE, his wife is happy and his kids were born in Starkville.

His agent is finding out what Fair Market Value is for his client. Chill people, welcome to world of "BIG TIME" CFB.

There are other ways to find out what fair market value for his client is without interviewing for other jobs. And you have to win big time games to be considered big time.

I really, really hate that we have fans who think this way. It's embarrassing. If y'all had your way, we'd still be watching Stansbury, Polk, and Croom.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 11:41 PM
There are other ways to find out what fair market value for his client is without interviewing for other jobs. And you have to win big time games to be considered big time.

I really, really hate that we have fans who think this way. It's embarrassing. If y'all had your way, we'd still be watching Stansbury, Polk, and Croom.

So you're saying we have a chance to get those guys back?! **

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 11:42 PM

Exactly. It's like it's ridiculous to them that we should expect to have more wins over big name teams. And I'm not saying we should beat Alabama every single time- but 15% is unacceptable.

And I could maybe understand if no one had ever won big games at a relatively reasonable clip- but Jackie showed it certainly can be done at MSU. And I'll even go as far as to say that even Croom pulled a couple of signature wins out himself. And if Croom can do it, we should expect any competent head coach to do it and at an even higher clip than Croom of course.

It is great that were winning pretty much all of the games we're "supposed to"- which actually makes Dan's lack of big game wins somewhat perplexing to me- but at some point you have to win the big ones. We're setting Dan up to make bowls very easily with four very manageable OOC games- and then you have Kentucky. That's a luxury that no other coach in MSU history has really had. So, while winning 8 games is "good"- we really should have more 9-10 win seasons that way our program currently is given our resources. 8 wins over four OOC teams and only one win over a SEC team with a winning record just isn't really all that impressive. Especially with a Heisman candidate caliber QB.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 11:44 PM
So you're saying we have a chance to get those guys back?! **

Sad thing is we have some fans that would love for some of "their boys" to be back. It's like a coach does something "good" at MSU at some point in time- and then we're indebted to them for the rest of our lives. It's crazy.

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2015, 11:45 PM

http://i.imgur.com/yNtKCsC.gif

smootness
12-01-2015, 11:46 PM
There is a huge gap between "Our current win rate is just fine" and "Mullen needs to go."

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Sad thing is we have some fans that would love for some of "their boys" to be back. It's like a coach does something "good" at MSU at some point in time- and then we're indebted to them for the rest of our lives. It's crazy.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again."

Blackout
12-01-2015, 11:59 PM
There is a huge gap between "Our current win rate is just fine" and "Mullen needs to go."

You seem to leave out the lack of effort in fixing the problems
You seem to leave out our coach actively seeking other employment

Those saying are win rate is fine are retarded
Those saying Mullen needs to go ALWAYS qualify it with "because he refuses to make the necessary changes to succeed AND actively seek other employment which hurts our program all around"

DancingRabbit
12-02-2015, 12:05 AM

10 wins last year and 8 wins this year. Not a "rest of our lives" situation.

It's laughable to compare Mullen today to Croom, Polk 2 or the last few years of Stansbury.

DancingRabbit
12-02-2015, 12:09 AM
You seem to leave out the lack of effort in fixing the problems
You seem to leave out our coach actively seeking other employment

Those saying are win rate is fine are retarded
Those saying Mullen needs to go ALWAYS qualify it with "because he refuses to make the necessary changes to succeed AND actively seek other employment which hurts our program all around"

nfm

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Exactly. It's like it's ridiculous to them that we should expect to have more wins over big name teams. And I'm not saying we should beat Alabama every single time- but 15% is unacceptable.

And I could maybe understand if no one had ever won big games at a relatively reasonable clip- but Jackie showed it certainly can be done at MSU. And I'll even go as far as to say that even Croom pulled a couple of signature wins out himself. And if Croom can do it, we should expect any competent head coach to do it and at an even higher clip than Croom of course.

It is great that were winning pretty much all of the games we're "supposed to"- which actually makes Dan's lack of big game wins somewhat perplexing to me- but at some point you have to win the big ones. We're setting Dan up to make bowls very easily with four very manageable OOC games- and then you have Kentucky. That's a luxury that no other coach in MSU history has really had. So, while winning 8 games is "good"- we really should have more 9-10 win seasons that way our program currently is given our resources. 8 wins over four OOC teams and only one win over a SEC team with a winning record just isn't really all that impressive. Especially with a Heisman candidate caliber QB.

I love Jackie as well but he wasn't facing close to the competition as Mullen has since 2009. We have had multiple 10+ game winners in our division alone that is unreal. 2010 4 teams, 3 in 2011, 2012, & 2013. I think Mullen has faced more in his 7 years than Jackie did his entire time. The strength of our division is not even close to comparison. In all of Jackie's years he upset 3 10 game winning teams (including their bowl wins) and none of those teams were national title teams. All were 3 loss teams. That's great and I wished Mullen had pulled off some bigger upsets. Really should have but Jackie was not beating national title teams either. And that makes the idea that we should have been a consistant 9-10 win team kind of difficult to fathom. It's were we want to be and we have been getting closer and need to continue to build but, and I have said this before, I really thought it would take a decade if we are lucky and things break our way. Considering the road we have had to go through the overall numbers are very good. Got to get over that next hump, which is one of the hardest to climb over and sustain.

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 12:34 AM
10 wins last year and 8 wins this year. Not a "rest of our lives" situation.

It's laughable to compare Mullen today to Croom, Polk 2 or the last few years of Stansbury.

Not really when you look at the context. Compare 2015 to 1994 when we won 8 games.

2015- we beat Arkansas on the road and USM on the road, La Tech was a good win relatively speaking as well.

1994- we beat Tennessee with Peyton Manning, a good South Carolina team on the road that won 7-8 games, and won the Egg Bowl on the road.

Which season was more impressive? Both were 8 win seasons- but one season is clearly better than the other.

The problem is Dan has too many seasons like the 2015 season where we won games, but there really wasn't very many memorable wins- maybe Arkansas and maybe USM from a historical standpoint, but I doubt those will make any MSU fans top 20 games of all time list.

Stansbury and Polk 2 did pretty much the same thing- they had seasons where they won a lot of games but there really wasn't anything too much to get excited about because even though we "won a lot"- we still underachieved. And it's just more frustrating than anything because most competent sports fans saw the major issues and red flags but each coach had his positive police shooting everything down- and usually pointing back to the pinnacle of each coaches tenure despite the fact that we were obviously trending down. And things usually got fairly nasty and then the fanbase was split into two factions because then people had to choose sides.

I'm not even going to address Croom because no matter what Dan is clearly better and quite frankly all of the other coaches mentioned are too- but even he had his share of positive police as well.

Anyway- I see the same thing happening to Dan if he stays. There are very obvious issues out there that are unquestionable at this point like Hevesy being an albatross, certain players like Zach Jackson playing way more than they should over better options such as JT Gray, and the team playing extremely poorly against higher level competition and questionable head coaching decisions such as what we saw against LSU at the end of the game.

I think if Dan stays we will see a split fanbase and have a very rough 2016 because if Dan returns I don't foresee very many issues getting corrected, and with one fewer home game and a more difficult OOC schedule I see a recipe for taking a step back next year. And I just wonder if we are going to have that "breaking point" game with Dan next year. Time will tell on that. One thing I do know is that fanbases that are split usually decrease support for the program in general. Who wants to spend hundreds of dollars watching a failing product? I know personally I am already planning on going to fewer home games next year as it is and will follow through on that if there aren't changes made- and by that I mean Hevesy better be gone at a minimum.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 12:53 AM
Todd the strength of schedule for that 1994 team was 50 out of 107. This year it's 39th out of 128. That's a decent gap. We also got beat by a 4-7 LSU team that year.

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 01:02 AM
I love Jackie as well but he wasn't facing close to the competition as Mullen has since 2009. We have had multiple 10+ game winners in our division alone that is unreal. 2010 4 teams, 3 in 2011, 2012, & 2013. I think Mullen has faced more in his 7 years than Jackie did his entire time. The strength of our division is not even close to comparison. In all of Jackie's years he upset 3 10 game winning teams (including their bowl wins) and none of those teams were national title teams. All were 3 loss teams. That's great and I wished Mullen had pulled off some bigger upsets. Really should have but Jackie was not beating national title teams either. And that makes the idea that we should have been a consistant 9-10 win team kind of difficult to fathom. It's were we want to be and we have been getting closer and need to continue to build but, and I have said this before, I really thought it would take a decade if we are lucky and things break our way. Considering the road we have had to go through the overall numbers are very good. Got to get over that next hump, which is one of the hardest to climb over and sustain.

Jackie also coached in an era where teams played 11 games and not 12 for most of his tenure and teams weren't allowed to count I-AA games towards bowl eligibility for awhile. So for all of these, basically add one more win to their record for each win pre 2002.

He beat an 8 win Ole Miss team in 1999
Beat 10 win Alabama in 1996
Beat 10 win Auburn on the road in 1997
Beat 8 win Tennessee in 1994 with Manning
Beat 9 win and SEC East Champ Florida in 1992 and 10 win Florida in 2000
Beat 9 win Arkansas in 1998
Beat 9 win Memphis somehow in 2003

Dan has ONE win over a 10 win team- and that is over Rice. 2015 USM has a chance to be #2 on Dan's list.
Beat 9 win Ole Miss in 2009.
2013 Ole Miss, 2014 run of Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU, and 2010 Florida- ALL 8-5 teams.

The bottom line is Dan has to win more marquee games than he is. But the thing that compounds everything is how poorly prepared we look and play in big games. THAT is VERY concerning with Dan.

Todd4State
12-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Todd the strength of schedule for that 1994 team was 50 out of 107. This year it's 39th out of 128. That's a decent gap. We also got beat by a 4-7 LSU team that year.

If you are having to grasp that straw, you've made my point. It's not our fault that LSU and Ole Miss were down that year or that Kentucky lost to Northeast Louisiana.

My point is it's all about WHO you beat as well as how good they are. Which season is more memorable 10 years from now? 1994 or 2015

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:17 AM
If you are having to grasp that straw, you've made my point. It's not our fault that LSU and Ole Miss were down that year or that Kentucky lost to Northeast Louisiana.

My point is it's all about WHO you beat as well as how good they are. Which season is more memorable 10 years from now? 1994 or 2015

Well Dan wouldn't have lost to a 4-7 LSU team. I think this year will be more memorable mainly because of Dak and maybe how we fought back at Arkansas. Something else Jackie could never do.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 01:23 AM

Or we could ask the question this way: Is there a win in 2015 we'll be talking about 20 years from now the way we still mention beating UT & Peyton in '94? Methinks not.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 01:24 AM

I agree. He's knocking it out of the park right now.

Where's my damn rep?

/shameless begging

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Jackie also coached in an era where teams played 11 games and not 12 for most of his tenure and teams weren't allowed to count I-AA games towards bowl eligibility for awhile. So for all of these, basically add one more win to their record for each win pre 2002.

He beat an 8 win Ole Miss team in 1999
Beat 10 win Alabama in 1996
Beat 10 win Auburn on the road in 1997
Beat 8 win Tennessee in 1994 with Manning
Beat 9 win and SEC East Champ Florida in 1992 and 10 win Florida in 2000
Beat 9 win Arkansas in 1998
Beat 9 win Memphis somehow in 2003

Dan has ONE win over a 10 win team- and that is over Rice. 2015 USM has a chance to be #2 on Dan's list.
Beat 9 win Ole Miss in 2009.
2013 Ole Miss, 2014 run of Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU, and 2010 Florida- ALL 8-5 teams.

The bottom line is Dan has to win more marquee games than he is. But the thing that compounds everything is how poorly prepared we look and play in big games. THAT is VERY concerning with Dan.

Yes I know only 11 games. The conference games are still much harder today, especially our division than at any point in Jackie's era. Was there ever a season when all the west teams were at least .500 like today. Was there ever a season when you had not 1 or 2 but at least 3 10 win teams in our division (we have had that like 4 times in the last 7 years). The comparison of the difficulty is not close. When was the last time we had a West Division winner with more than 2 losses? Just a different area and when you adjust for the strength of then to now the lower number of games played doesn't hurt Mullen's overall record. Especially when you compare the fact that he has never lost a game to losing teams. Unlike Jackie. Also we don't have ties anymore either. How many of those would possible bite Jackie back then. A tie with Arkansas State.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:30 AM
Or we could ask the question this way: Is there a win in 2015 we'll be talking about 20 years from now the way we still mention beating UT & Peyton in '94? Methinks not.

I think Dak's win at Arkansas might because of Dak. But beating Payton was great. Do we talk about that loss to 4-7 LSU as well?

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2015, 01:40 AM
I think Dak's win at Arkansas might because of Dak. But beating Payton was great. Do we talk about that loss to 4-7 LSU as well?

Good point, 51-50 is definitely memorable. Especially ending on a blocked FG a la the Snow Bowl.

Really Clark?
12-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Good point, 51-50 is definitely memorable. Especially ending on a blocked FG a la the Snow Bowl.

Yep. Had a big lead. Lost it because of turnovers. Game looked over but Dak got us back and then the blocked FG. At Fayetteville as well. Don't usually like games of no defense but both QB's put on a clinic that night.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2015, 08:48 AM

But you discount LSU, AU, and A&M as important wins last year for the same reason - they had down years. That's damn convenient. Doesn't matter that they were all ranked highly at the time. You could make the argument that losing to us sent their seasons into tailspins - like Bama did to everyone this year, but you'd have to actually think that winning 10 was an achievement instead of find excuses to discount the fact we are in our best run of football since the 1940s.

The only reason anybody remembers beating Tennesse in 94 is Manning. Forget the fact that they were 1-2 at the time, and reeling from getting smacked by Florida 31-0, causing Todd Helton to get yanked. So we were playing against a true freshman (albeit very talented) in his first start, and we barely won.

Johnson85
12-02-2015, 10:01 AM

There names weren't linked to every damn job available and they are at destination jobs (and Saban doesn't mind taking a job after denying he's going to do it). Mullen has probably had his name out there, but how dumb do you think he and his agent are to link his name to jobs like Virginia without being pretty sure he's going to get it? What do you want Mullen to do? Point out all the ridiculous rumors that are obviously not true but when it comes to places he realistically might consider going, say no comment?

The only other thing he could do is come out and say I'm staying at MSU knowing that if UGA or whatever program comes calling, he'll go back on his word.

DancingRabbit
12-02-2015, 10:30 AM
There names weren't linked to every damn job available and they are at destination jobs (and Saban doesn't mind taking a job after denying he's going to do it). Mullen has probably had his name out there, but how dumb do you think he and his agent are to link his name to jobs like Virginia without being pretty sure he's going to get it? What do you want Mullen to do? Point out all the ridiculous rumors that are obviously not true but when it comes to places he realistically might consider going, say no comment?

The only other thing he could do is come out and say I'm staying at MSU knowing that if UGA or whatever program comes calling, he'll go back on his word.

I think you're spot on with this. There's a few jobs that Dan would consider jumping to. There are a lot of jobs that he gets linked to that he would not consider.