PDA

View Full Version : What are your ongoing expectations for MSU football....

TUSK
12-01-2015, 08:08 PM
I read the back and forth and agree with both "sides" on certain things....

the bottom line is "expectation", IMO...

W/Ls, rivalry record, bowls, rankings, championships, etc?

TSUNami
12-01-2015, 08:14 PM
I don't think 8-4 is crazy to ask for next year. South Alabama, UMass, Samford, and Kentucky are gimmes. South Carolina is a dumpster fire and in DWS so a likely win. BYU is a question mark as always but they're certainly beatable. We've got UPig's number lately so I will call them beatable as well. That means we just need to go 1-3 against LSU, OM, Bama and Auburn. Definitely doable, especially if Fitz picks it up early after waiting in the wings.

SDDawg
12-01-2015, 08:14 PM
I'll go, here's a quick summary:

- Top 25 program every year (possible down year every 5 or 6 years)
- Top 15 program 1 of 3 years
- Competing for SEC West 1 of 4 years, one or two trips to ATL in the next decade
- .500 record or better against most SEC West opponents (OM, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn)
- Beating Bama at least 1 out of every 3 or 4 seasons while Saban is coach
- Win the Egg Bowl at home every year
- Top 25 recruiting classes every year
- An SEC title in the next 10 years

Blackout
12-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Coaches not being lazy or ignorant in recruiting
Coaches not being inept with their game plans
Coaches not hindering the team keeping better players on the bench
Coaches not acting like this is some entitlement and they are better than the job/fans
Coaches not getting embarrassed in most games against talented teams
Stop losing to Hugh Freeze

BossDawg
12-01-2015, 08:20 PM
It would be nice to beat Bama once out of at least 3 to 4 years and maybe LSU every other year or 3....and to not get embarrassed by UMiss, and ESPECIALLY not get blown out of your very own stadium by them. Oh yeah, to step it up in recruiting and hang on to commitments through signing day. Just these things alone would be very nice, and not much to ask for

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2015, 08:24 PM
A winning record and a bowl game.

40% win rate vs OM until the NCAA reals them in. Assuming all things are fair in recruiting, 50% win rate vs OM.

Vs Bama....I understand we will be the underdog every year.

Vs the rest of the west, I expect us to win some home games vs them but road games we will be the underdog. Assuming these teams are playing to their potential.

drummerdawg
12-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I just want the coaches to give relentless effort in every aspect of their job (game planning, on field coaching, recruiting, etc.) and everything else will work itself out.

Boya
12-01-2015, 08:48 PM
The program floor has been raised. So...Now the question is can we take it to the next level? Keep the bowl streak alive next season and then Get to Atlanta in 2017

Mjoelner34
12-01-2015, 08:51 PM
I threw out the first year record to judge my criteria.

1. Raise our floor:
Has averaged 8.2 wins / year before the bowl game this year: CHECK

2. Raise our ceiling:
Won 10 games for 2nd time in school history, was ranked #1 for 1st time in school history, hasn't made Atlanta: JURY IS STILL OUT

3. Go to a bowl game every year:
This will be the 6th year in a row: CHECK

4. Win games we are favored in:
I think we only have 1 or 2 losses here: CHECK

5. Do not get run off the field at this stage of program building:
Just this year alone there was Bama and Ole Miss: FAIL

6. Beat Bama and/or LSU at least once every 3 years:
1-11 record: FAIL

7. Beat Ole Miss at least 50% of the time and especially when a trip to Atlanta or a possible playoff slot is riding on it:
3-3 vs. UM, 2014 loss killed chance of Atlanta depending on Iron Bowl, 2014 loss killed possible playoff slot (probably wouldn't have gotten in but we were #4 going into that game): FAIL

I'm ok with him going or staying. My criteria has me at 3-3 with a push. If he's gone, I hope we find out tonight so we can start searching immediately. If he stays, staff changes MUST be made. No excuse to have the craptastic O-line play we had in the 7th year of his program and I'm sick and damn tired of seeing db's back peddle to the center of their zones and become statues until the ball is in the air!

Dawgowar
12-01-2015, 09:21 PM
I read the back and forth and agree with both "sides" on certain things....

the bottom line is "expectation", IMO...

W/Ls, rivalry record, bowls, rankings, championships, etc?

Expectation: Me, banging my head against wall 3-6 times during the fall of 2016

Barking 13
12-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Glenn, I've been at it so long that I'm just happy to see them win more than 3 games every year

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
I can see us winning 8 games every year and having a year like last year every 3 years or so. The question is will Mullen's recruiting strategy change and allow us to compete with the brutal SEC west year in and year out. I would also like to add that I think Staley is going to be great at MSU and break records. I know everyone is high on Fitz but I got the same feeling about Staley that I had about Dak when we first signed him.