PDA

View Full Version : Coaching question

Sacrifice
12-01-2015, 04:19 PM
I'll admit I don't keep up with coaches careers like I should but is it common for an active SEC coach to get caught interviewing for another job, not get the job and have to coach his current team the next year? I don't remember this happening recently. It seems like it would make for an awkward situation with his current players. This is not a rhetorical question, I'm just curious.

Boodawg
12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
If my employer knew I was looking around, they'd probably go ahead and cut ties. Don't know answer to your question, but I am interested in hearing others on the question.

smootness
12-01-2015, 04:26 PM
If my employer knew I was looking around, they'd probably go ahead and cut ties. Don't know answer to your question, but I am interested in hearing others on the question.

Your boss would fire you for being open to other career opportunities?

CarolinaDawgs
12-01-2015, 04:28 PM

You must be a shitty employee.

Jack Straw
12-01-2015, 04:41 PM
A few months ago, one of the guys at my office who had been here just over 3 years started updating his profile on LinkedIn. He then posted a note on the site that he was thinking about getting a job back in his old industry. Our CFO (who we both report to) fired him about 45 days later. Apparently, he started looking to fill his position about a week after that posting. Our boss said 'he made it clear to me that he didnt want to be here, so I beat him to the punch.' The guy was a top performer and really our team leader. The CFO said he wants everyone to feel like family and if you dont want to be part of family, then you need to leave and leave quickly. This sums up my feelings on this coaching drama.

smootness
12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
A few months ago, one of the guys at my office who had been here just over 3 years started updating his profile on LinkedIn. He then posted a note on the site that he was thinking about getting a job back in his old industry. Our CFO (who we both report to) fired him about 45 days later. Apparently, he started looking to fill his position about a week after that posting. Our boss said 'he made it clear to me that he didnt want to be here, so I beat him to the punch.' The guy was a top performer and really our team leader. The CFO said he wants everyone to feel like family and if you dont want to be part of family, then you need to leave and leave quickly. This sums up my feelings on this coaching drama.

Sounds like a fun family.

CarolinaDawgs
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Kinda wanna know how this turned out? Did the CFO replace him quickly/is the replacement nearly as effective?

Sacrifice
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM
I just don't know how your gonna lead a group of young men when they know your trying to leave them.

Coach34
12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
There is no current SEC coach I remember as being reported as interviewing for another job...names associated with others- but none reported as interviewing like Mullen has been.

cheewgumm
12-01-2015, 04:53 PM
It takes a lot of dedication to be an SEC coach. I assume it take your full concentration. If you actively looking for other jobs, you should be let go.

You should NEVER tell your employer you are looking for another job. They SHOULD fire you. Why shouldn't they be looking for better employees to fill your spot?

CarolinaDawgs
12-01-2015, 05:00 PM
It takes a lot of dedication to be an SEC coach. I assume it take your full concentration. If you actively looking for other jobs, you should be let go.

You should NEVER tell your employer you are looking for another job. They SHOULD fire you. Why shouldn't they be looking for better employees to fill your spot?

Im a headhunter and that is how people test the market, see what they're worth and use it as leverage to gain a counter-offer....

Jack Straw
12-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Kinda wanna know how this turned out? Did the CFO replace him quickly/is the replacement nearly as effective?

He had a very steep learning curve, but now after about 90 days, he is really doing well. He brought a lot of new ideas and ways to automate reporting. In fact, I am just right now finishing up a new automated reporting file that is going to cut down my weekend work by 2-3 hours (from 3 hours to 15 mins, I hope). The past guy built a very nice foundation and we wouldnt be where we are today without him, but he was so interested in getting things done quickly that he never really looked around and wondered if there was a better way to do things. I am pretty new too (just over 7 months) and I brought a new way of thinking and doing things. We have progressed a good bit in terms of automation and business acumen in the past few months.

After I typed this and reread it, I realize how much this mirrors our current coaching situation.

CarolinaDawgs
12-01-2015, 05:11 PM
He had a very steep learning curve, but now after about 90 days, he is really doing well. He brought a lot of new ideas and ways to automate reporting. In fact, I am just right now finishing up a new automated reporting file that is going to cut down my weekend work by 2-3 hours (from 3 hours to 15 mins, I hope). The past guy built a very nice foundation and we wouldnt be where we are today without him, but he was so interested in getting things done quickly that he never really looked around and wondered if there was a better way to do things. I am pretty new too (just over 7 months) and I brought a new way of thinking and doing things. We have progressed a good bit in terms of automation and business acumen in the past few months.

After I typed this and reread it, I realize how much this mirrors our current coaching situation.

Well then.. I think we should print this, stamp it and send it on over to the Athletic Department. Decision has been made.

Johnson85
12-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Your boss would fire you for being open to other career opportunities?

That's fairly common. At least when it comes to employees actively looking around.

I think it's the wrong approach, but I can understand it, especially for companies that are thin because of their size and could really be put in a bind by an employee leaving before a replacement is lined up.

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 05:17 PM
That's fairly common. At least when it comes to employees actively looking around.

I think it's the wrong approach, but I can understand it, especially for companies that are thin because of their size and could really be put in a bind by an employee leaving before a replacement is lined up.

It happens in my Dad's industry too. You are correct that it is common and in fact that is a reason why applications have the question "can we contact your current employer?"on them.

FISHDAWG
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM

plus the fact that most employees aren't under contract ...... if there is a clause in the contract that stipulates "no-contact" then don't get caught doing it - however, most coaches contracts allow for this but must get permission from the school to contact said coach ... not sure about coaches contacting other entities

cheewgumm
12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
so, how does this go if you are looking for another job:

Employee: "Hey boss, I'm looking around, ya know...just to better myself. If I find another job, I'm quitting, but if I don't, I'll stay here."

Boss: "Oh great. I'm glad you are trying to better yourself. Let me know if you find something better, because I'll then have to hire someone else."

riiiiiggggghhhhttt

Todd4State
12-01-2015, 05:53 PM
plus the fact that most employees aren't under contract ...... if there is a clause in the contract that stipulates "no-contact" then don't get caught doing it - however, most coaches contracts allow for this but must get permission from the school to contact said coach ... not sure about coaches contacting other entities

Exactly. Being able to look around for another job is one of the benefits employees have of working "at will." BUT at the same time companies are able to protect themselves because they can fire pretty much anyone at any time for any reason as long as the company itself doesn't violate any contract or the employee wasn't fired due to discrimination on the part of the company.